Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

good win today but i was dissapointed with cork.our half back line probably our strongest line but tommy done well for his first day out.Lawlor lucky not to give away a free in before billys goal for a push but he didnt do much wrong his very green.aidan walsh started well on him but hopefully huw can stay improving.
    billy was our best foward.aylward tried hard and got a point but took the wrong
    option at times.ger malone was trying hard before going of with a serious looking injury.donnelly started and finished well if he can get 70 mins consistency into his game he was unreal potential he has brillant hands.Kevin kelly was poor and missed a few handy frees but hopefully he can improve.
    murphy made an excellent save from horgan unbelievable reflexes.
    overall very happy with the win and takes the pressure off going to ennis next week where an away win is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Cork offered very little threat going forward and seemed to let the game fizzle out for the last 5 or 6 minutes. Lehane tried to shake things up when he came on but the hb line was able to handle him. Very impressed with John Donnelly and Billy Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Was impressed withe the workrate throughout. Aylward for all his mistakes covered a huge amount of ground from centre forward and got on a lot of ball. The forwards completely negated Corks short puck out in the 2nd half and worked very hard. Looking forward to league Sunday to see Murphys save again. It looked to be top drawer at the time. Half back was very impressive and thought Deegan sat a bit deeper in the second half giving more protection to the full back line. Midfield was good except for Mahers tendancy to over play the ball which may have led to him being taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Poor enough game very open lacked a bit of cutting. Kilkenny were decent enough considering the players we were missing.Pat Horgan gave our full back line plenty of trouble but he does that to most defenses anyway. Delaney excellent at wing back and 2 points from long range as well. He has to be a regular this year.Our midfield was average and Maher needs to lay the ball off sooner took wrong options on several occasions.up front Ryan developing into a real threat and Donnelly pulls all the strings he was involved in a lot of scores. Big mention for Conor Browne did really well when introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Delaney, Ryan and Fogarty and Deegan best for me, promising debut for Tommy Walsh, Murphy another great save. Kelly and Scanlon were quiet. Aylward was on a mountain of ball, but didn't always make good use of it. Donnelly was the second best forward. Good crowd today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭thelostboys23

Decent enough showing considering the time of year. As mentioned by others Delaney, Deegan and Tommy Walsh best of the backs, Billy Ryan, Donnelly and Richie Leahy beat of the forwards.

Was happy with the delivery into the forwards as we mixed it up nicely and got some lovely scores (and awful wides) after excellent build up play. Good work rate from the forwards who seemed to harass Cork which is great to see.

Donnelly and Ryan caught plenty of ball when it did go in high too. Some of the younger players have started to put on a bit of muscle too I thought, Deegan especially looked to have packed on a good bit on the upper body.

Huw Lawlor done ok full back, was a bit eager for one or two balls and Horgan almost punished with a goal only for a great save by Murphy. Pa Horgan was very good overall and must have got 5 points from play from the full back line who all had a period marking him.

All in all can't be too unhappy as it was a win, blooded more players, scored goals, and scired a good few from play....which over last few years and scores from play were hard to come by. Clare next week will be a stiffer test but looking forward to seeing how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Littlewoods Camogie League. Callan , Sat 26 Jan.
    Kilkenny 1-15 0-06 Dublin.

A poor game overall. A lot of positional changes from the previous game versus Clare. And in truth they didn't really work.
    KellyAnne Doyle in midfield alongside Davinia Tobin just didn't gel, and neither player impressed in the first half. Doyle was moved back into a sweeper in the 2nd half , and there she got on a lot of ball and improved. Tobin , after her amazing performance the previous weekend was quiet throughout.
    Danielle Morrissey continued her good form.
    Dublin lead at half time , and were well worth the slender lead. Kilkenny changed to a sweeper for the second half and blitzed the Dubs. Miriam Walsh and Denise Gaule came to the fore and dominated.
    The passing by Kilkenny is very poor, first touch also. I know the pitch in John Lockes is a bit 'heavy' at this time of year, but that shouldn't prevent player being able to pass to hand.

Once again, the sidelines were mobbed. Dublin have more 'backroom staff' than an American Football team, and the same amount of subs as one. Between laptops, clipboards and cameras, they must do more analysis as a Premier league football team ! Its good to have money ;)

Disappointing to hear that the WexVCork game was postponed due to Wexford being unable to field a team , due to St Martins game in the club All Ireland. Their manager Martin Carey stepped down as a result.
    A nice head of steam being built by Downeys team, more to do though.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

greenspurs wrote: »
    Littlewoods Camogie League. Callan , Sat 26 Jan.
    Kilkenny 1-15 0-06 Dublin.

A poor game overall. A lot of positional changes from the previous game versus Clare. And in truth they didn't really work.
    KellyAnne Doyle in midfield alongside Davinia Tobin just didn't gel, and neither player impressed in the first half. Doyle was moved back into a sweeper in the 2nd half , and there she got on a lot of ball and improved. Tobin , after her amazing performance the previous weekend was quiet throughout.
    Danielle Morrissey continued her good form.
    Dublin lead at half time , and were well worth the slender lead. Kilkenny changed to a sweeper for the second half and blitzed the Dubs. Miriam Walsh and Denise Gaule came to the fore and dominated.
    The passing by Kilkenny is very poor, first touch also. I know the pitch in John Lockes is a bit 'heavy' at this time of year, but that shouldn't prevent player being able to pass to hand.

Once again, the sidelines were mobbed. Dublin have more 'backroom staff' than an American Football team, and the same amount of subs as one. Between laptops, clipboards and cameras, they must do more analysis as a Premier league football team ! Its good to have money ;)

Disappointing to hear that the WexVCork game was postponed due to Wexford being unable to field a team , due to St Martins game in the club All Ireland. Their manager Martin Carey stepped down as a result.
    A nice head of steam being built by Downeys team, more to do though.
    many thanks greensour for the report,good to keep up with all things kk.2 wins with easier fixtures on paper to come should see camogie in semi final. Minors not out until march having not reached last 2 u16 semi finals.interesting to see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

What abour tipp playing a sweeper.are kk the last bastions of real hurlung.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Happy with performance and result but bigger test away in Ennis awaits. Here my thoughts briefly on each player from yesterday

E Murphy: Outstanding save and IMO best keeper iv ever seen
    P. Murphy: Few niggly fouls but in general was very impressed and will be a huge confident booster for him. Nothing greater than seeing Murphy burst out of defence at full tilt with ball in hand
    Lawlor: Mixed bag but very solid. Worth persisting with and think will come good
    Walsh: He would prob prefer himself to be on the half back line but good first outing yesterday
    Delaney: Excellent throughout and physically able to mix it. The shoulder on Aidan Walsh was not a free to cork. If he stays consistently performing then he will be in team come champo
    Deegan: Very impressive but Dalton is only starting out his Senior Inter County career so will have bigger tests. The only small issue I have is that I would prefer to see hold the centre more. Leave gaping holes down the centre against men like Tony Kelly or Jamie Barron and we will be exposed and punished.
    Morrissey: Really turning into a valuable squad player and seems a viable option for corner or Wing back
    Maher: Some great flicks and touches but will know himself overplayed the ball at times when it needed to be moved on. Serious engine and will key player for KK this year
    Fogarty: Quite first half but came into it really second half. Back to the usual busy and harrowing and think him and Maher really complement each other
    Donnelly: Got some great scores and general link up play was very good.
    Aylward: Got on mountain of ball but final execution let him down at times. Work rate excellent as ever but liked the idea if seeing him roaming around half forward line
    Malone: Very unfortunate injury and thought he had actually started well. Hope injury not as serious as it looked
    Ryan: Excellent throughout and when he stretches the rangy legs and hits full speed he is hard to stop. Some great vision and lay offs at times and really reminded me of fast Eddie at times
    Kelly: Will be dissapointed to miss those frees but was always going to take some time before getting back to speed of senior inter county level given the significant lay off he has had. Hopefully will start next week again to build on
    Scanlon: I really like him as a player but just never saw him as a corner forward. He will always struggle at this time of year in hard conditions but hoping his confidence doesnt take a denting after yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

dubcat51 wrote: »

Tipp didn't play a sweeper! Clare had player withdrawn and Paudie Maher played as a spare man. There really needs to distinction made between a 7th permanent defender(sweeper) and an unoccupied defender due to the fact that the opposition only have 5 forwards(spare man).

As for Kilkenny being "the last bastion of real hurling" i am not sure what that even means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Ger Aylward seem to be in a lot of pain yesterday when he got a smack on the finger hopefully there was no damage done .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Ah here will you cool the jets. He's entitled to his opinion.

2-10 from play

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

2-10 from play

Yeah it was great.

What is the purpose of replying to my post? :confused:

Yeah it was great.

What is the purpose of replying to my post? :confused:

Sorry didn't:confused: know it was not allowed.

good to hear that wally,padraig and richie are near a return.Also heard ger malones injury isnt to bad because infairness to him he had started well last sunday.
    there will probably be a few changes this weekend again.
    just wondering is alan murphy gone off the panel i havent seen him listed yet?

Is the predicted weather affecting anyone's travelling plan's for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

dubcat51 wrote: »

Dubcat Tipp didn't have a sweeper on Saterday night. Clare played most of teh game with one player in their full forwrad line and even at that their half forward line dropped into their own hald lots of the time. Right at the end of the game one or two Tipp frees out of their half backline there was only two Clare players in the Tipp Half.
    Be interesting to see how they against KK this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Is the predicted weather affecting anyone's travelling plan's for Sunday?

If the weather is to bad the match will be cancelled hopefully not its a wait see game at this time of year.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    If the weather is to bad the match will be cancelled hopefully not its a wait see game at this time of year.

Its a bad road to travel if the snow / ice arrives, may leave my decision until Sunday morning

• Advertisement

Even after one league game Billy Ryan, John Donnelly, & Ritchie Leahy along with the missing TJ, Waltar, and James Maher should be automatic startersin what ever order from 8 to 15 come championship time with just 2 places up for grabs with Martin Keoghan and a fit Ritchie Hogan being front runners to fill these spots. Conor Browne is also worth a very close look at, while Kevin Kelly is fast running out of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had it in my head that our record in Cusack Park Ennis was brutal but in the Cody era it's actually not too bad.

Obviously we have lost on our last two visits. In '14 Clare were still on cloud nine after winning the AI but KK could have got the win as Wally (if I remember correctly) missed an easy enough goal chance late on. I can't remember much of the match in '17... Why did we lose by so much? Interestingly both Leahy and Kevin Kelly started that day.

2017: Clare 2-19 - 0-12 KK (L)
    2014: Clare 1-16 - 0-18 KK (L)
    2013: Clare 1-15 - 3-10 KK (W)
    2009: Clare 1-09 - 3-16 KK (W)
    2004: Clare 1-12 - 2-10 KK (W)
    2002: Clare 1-12 - 3-14 KK (W)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Even after one league game Billy Ryan, John Donnelly, & Ritchie Leahy along with the missing TJ, Waltar, and James Maher should be automatic startersin what ever order from 8 to 15 come championship time with just 2 places up for grabs with Martin Keoghan and a fit Ritchie Hogan being front runners to fill these spots. Conor Browne is also worth a very close look at, while Kevin Kelly is fast running out of chances.
    Agree with most of that except I think the two out of James Maher, Conor Fogarty and Richie Leahy will be our midfielders. Also Martin Keoghan is one of a number of players who could win a spot in the forwards but don't see anyone in pole position yet

I had it in my head that our record in Cusack Park Ennis was brutal but in the Cody era it's actually not too bad.

Obviously we have lost on our last two visits. In '14 Clare were still on cloud nine after winning the AI but KK could have got the win as Wally (if I remember correctly) missed an easy enough goal chance late on. I can't remember much of the match in '17... Why did we lose by so much? Interestingly both Leahy and Kevin Kelly started that day.

2017: Clare 2-29 - 0-12 KK (L)
    2014: Clare 1-16 - 0-18 KK (L)
    2013: Clare 1-15 - 3-10 KK (W)
    2009: Clare 1-09 - 3-16 KK (W)
    2004: Clare 1-12 - 2-10 KK (W)
    2002: Clare 1-12 - 3-14 KK (W)
    i remember 17 evan cody was corner back.we had a load of youngsters making theur debut.sean morrissey and leahy were there.i remember larkin tweeting after it.

i was very happy with the other day but it must be said cork didnt offer much.I am hopefull that donnelly and leahy can stay improving and have great careers.Its also great to try deegan at 6 and he was very good the other day but bigger tests ahead.
    id also presist with browne theres definitely something in him.I think your a bit harsh on kevin kelly he was poor sunday and missed a few handy frees but it must not be forgotton he missed the whole of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

brookville wrote: »
    i remember 17 evan cody was corner back.we had a load of youngsters making theur debut.sean morrissey and leahy were there.i remember larkin tweeting after it.

Didn't realize it was that a big a beating, was that the biggest loss under Cody's stewardship?

Hi folks. Kilkenny retro style jerseys for sale if its of interest to anyone? :)

https://orgaretro.com/collections/retro-gaa-jerseys/products/kilkenny-1980s-retro-gaa-jersey-pre-order-now

robwen wrote: »
    Didn't realize it was that a big a beating, was that the biggest loss under Cody's stewardship?

Tipp beat Kilkenny in Thurles by 12 in 2015 but to be fair to Kilkenny they were missing many regulars on the day and went on and won the All ireland that year to their credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Tipp beat Kilkenny in Thurles by 12 in 2015 but to be fair to Kilkenny they were missing many regulars on the day and went on and won the All ireland that year to their credit.

The Clare game was nearly double that 2-29 to 0-12

Looked it up the above score/ post is incorrect should be 2-19 to 0-12, a 13 point defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

That game against Clare two years ago, was the worst performance I've seen a Kilkenny team give. Clare were well ahead last year too only for a second half comeback. They also beat us convincingly in a league quarter a few years ago.
    Clare definitely have had Kilkenny`s number.
    Cody will remind the players about those beatings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement