Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Garyp88 wrote: »
    Really poor the Puck out strategy is awful, the team looks leggy no speed or movement. Aylward has played well and conlon is a joy to watch kilkenny can't contest a high ball anywhere bullied out of it. Kevin Kelly is nowhere May's well have played with 14 and is an average free taker how players like him and Martin are picked over bolger is beyond me

Personally thought Kelly was much better today. 1-11 from frees and you call him an average free taker!

Were you watching the same game he contributed nothing apart from placed balls he just doesn't look mobile but not physical either I can't see what he offers

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Puck out strategy was poor but improved as the game went on, not much point pucking balls down on top of Keoghan and Aylward. Thought Paul Murphy, Tommy Walsh, Conor Fogarty and Aylward played well. Padraig Walsh and Conor Browne did well when they came on. Forwards were cleaned out in the air and in the 50 50 tackles but used the ball quite well when they got clean possession, decent performance for me against a strong Clare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Were you watching the same game he contributed nothing apart from placed balls he just doesn't look mobile but not physical either I can't see what he offers

Seen Bolger playing soccer recently. Nowhere near the condition required. To bve fair he was given his chances and didn't take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I agree he has offered very little from play the last two weeks. Hopefully Wally and Richie Hogan are back for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just came in to say fair play to all the Kilkenny supporters for coming to ennis today for the game. Plenty of support from yee. Met a few last night in the hotel and they were great craic.

Ps: hope yee had still had space on the bus to bring the ref home!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

to be honest im happy enough with today.Browne and blanch made a difference.lawlor done well he'll improve from this.our half fowards struggled to win any puckouts but i thought billy tried very hard.Ennis is a very tough place to get a win so i wouldnt be too disapointed.Colm galvin was given a free role dont know how we left him lose.
    Leahy is not a corner foward but he was off.
    clare defenders do a huge amount of fouling but i thought they were better today took there goal chances we hit the post with ours.
    kelly was definitly better today and i wouldnt give up on him yet.
    we have some big names to come back but im very positive bout the way we're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

You said he was an average free taker, I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

also must be said there was a good travelling support which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Was impressed with Alyward also. Donnelly had some nice touches and thought Conor Browne had a good match when he came on. Would like to seen him get a run from the start at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Not a bad result today. Ennis a hard place to go. Lawlor done well had a good tussle with conlan looks very promising. Half forward line struggled badly on our puck outs. Donnelly aylward and Ryan had some nice moments. Browne and blanchfield helped when they came in worth a start next game. Leahy definitely not a corner forward needs space for his running game couldn’t understand why he wasn’t brought out the field to disrupt the likes of galvin who dominated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Overall not a bad day at the office... more experience for the younger lads. Clare were the better side and deserved their win.

Puck out strategy was very poor. You have to wonder what Cody et al. on the sideline are thinking when Clare's half-forward are dominating in the air.

Lawlor gained some great experience marking Conlon today, it will stand to him. Anytime Alyward got the ball he looked very confident, a level above the rest. We need to get him on the ball as much as possible. I agree with the others regarding Kevin Kelly; today he didn't offer up much at all. I can see Cody sticking with him throughout the entire League and then come championship time he could be relegated to the bench. Obviously I hope he comes into form.

The subs did well when they came on. Padraig Walsh offers so much when he's not playing full-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Did ye see the state of the pitch in Cork!..the cost of that place left Ennis look like Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

kk.man wrote: »
    Did ye see the state of the pitch in Cork!..the cost of that place left Ennis look like Wimbledon.

Unreal and all the money spend on it. Very poor. Does anybody know what the problem with it is? Last year there was tonnes of sand on it. Very poor standard - how do they expect hurling to be played on that?

I'd stick with Kelly on frees - who else is there until T.J. comes back? I think it's a confidence thing with him.

Agree with others, progressing ok. Loads of regular game time for lads. They can't say they haven't got chances.

Need Pádraig out the first. He's too good to be isolated inside the 21. Good to see Maher chip in with a few points.

Finally, after looking at the scores in Div. 1A over the week-end, KK were the 2nd highest scores. Good sign away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I thought Eoin Murphy had one of his poorer days for Kilkenny today. Puck outs were poor and the few frees he took were off. He should have done better for Clares second goal.
    Positives from today were Alyward and Billy Ryan performance. I thought Donnelly looked very heavy legged today. I'd say the Fitzgibbon is taking its toll on some players.
    Richie Leahy is wasted in the full forward line. Apart from frees Kelly didn't offer much. I saw Cody give a few shakes of his head when Kelly gave a bad ball.
    Great to see Padraig Walsh back at wing. Offers so much there.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I thought Eoin Murphy had one of his poorer days for Kilkenny today. Puck outs were poor and the few frees he took were off. He should have done better for Clares second goal.
    Positives from today were Alyward and Billy Ryan performance. I thought Donnelly looked very heavy legged today. I'd say the Fitzgibbon is taking its toll on some players.
    Richie Leahy is wasted in the full forward line. Apart from frees Kelly didn't offer much. I saw Cody give a few shakes of his head when Kelly gave a bad ball.

Probably taking its toll on some players like Donnelly who I thought did ok today and giving other players like the Clare half forward who scored 3 points a match fitness that other county players wouldn't have at this time of year, its crasy that players have to play 5 matches in two weeks at the level of inter county and fitzgibbon cup, the league is going to suffer badly from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

kk.man wrote: »

Shocking stuff alright. How that is acceptable for the money spent on that hole of a spot is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You wouldn't sow turnips in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Eoin Murphy has kept Kilkenny competitive for the last few years and all keepers concede goals. Don't think he can be faulted for either and from where I was sitting looked to have made a miraculous block for a 3rd. Your talking through your hole if you think he was to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Decent run out today, was always going to be tough up there. I thought huw lawor had a great game hopefully he will keep progressing as walsh showed what he can do out the pitch off the bench. Leahy has good attributes for a corner forward but It doesn’t suit em. He’s good wing forward but he needs to be midfield I think esp the way the game is gone. Ger was very good today and once again there was abit of inconsistency with Ryan and donnolly but they both had their moments and showed what they can do. Pitches this time of the year don’t suit them too much.

The puck out has become a massive part of the game now and Is the basis of many attacks for teams like limerick so I was disappointed to see us puck high balls down aimlessly. Murphy is definetly good enough to play 30/40 yard passes into space or into lads hands. I know are main ball winners were not out there but it’s something that needs working on.

Kevin kelly will need to start pushing on now again. He can’t be relying on the frees because no matter how good he hits them tj will be on them come championship. He doesn’t seem to be able to strike the ball from play and is normally running away from goal but I wouldn’t give up on him his movement is good. It’s only the league it’s more minutes and experience for the young lads and hopefully management learned another bit about lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Billy Ryan and Adrian Mullin are 5 new possibilities for the championship. Add in fully fit Richie Hogan and Conor Fogarty and rejuvenated Paul Murphy, Ger Aylward and Colin Fennelly and we would have decent depth in our squad. Not saying all the above are going to work out but certainly grounds for hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭blackcard

Also interesting was that Padraig Walsh was not brought on when Huw Lawlor was getting treatment. Hopefully, he will stay in the half back line. If Buckley can get over his injury, a half back line of Walsh, Delaney and Buckley wouldn't be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Decent display today.ger and ryan look like they can.make the forwards for champuonship.padraig surely should never be put back to full back again.also like the look of connor browne and leahy has to come out to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Cody has not learnt lessons from Ennis two years ago. Kilkenny can't cope with Clare movement
    And why should he even bother trying to cope with it. The essence of every successful team is to force the opposition to cope with you hence the improvement from 0-12 to 1-22 from Kilkenny yesterday and that by way of some very very inexperienced players all over the field. All in all a very good day at the office. The skill leval o0f some of these Kilkenny players is on par with any who have gone before them. Time and patience is now the order of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Not a bad performance yesterday considering the missing players. I thought Kilkenny lacked a bit of pace around the middle, i thought Maher and Fogarty had there hands full with Galvin and Golden. I was impressed with Lawlor full back, lot of ball went in there and Conlon is handful. Paul Murphy gave a terrible clearance for the first goal. Clare fouling kept Kilkenny in the game, Billy Ryan looks the real deal. Leahy needs to be out midfield. 2 big matches in the next few weeks Limerick at home and Tipperary away.

Village87 wrote: »
    Not a bad performance yesterday considering the missing players. I thought Kilkenny lacked a bit of pace around the middle, i thought Maher and Fogarty had there hands full with Galvin and Golden. I was impressed with Lawlor full back, lot of ball went in there and Conlon is handful. Paul Murphy gave a terrible clearance for the first goal. Clare fouling kept Kilkenny in the game, Billy Ryan looks the real deal. Leahy needs to be out midfield. 2 big matches in the next few weeks Limerick at home and Tipperary away.

How did you think Paul played apart from that? Conor got on a lot of ball and hit a nice point in the second half, I'm sure you were impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Topcat32 wrote: »
    How did you think Paul played apart from that? Conor got on a lot of ball and hit a nice point in the second half, I'm sure you were impressed.

Not near the impact Golden and Galvin who got man of the match. Fogarty and John Donnelly were on the one side most of the match. I thought the 2 of them lacked pace when Clare ran at them. Paul Murphy played decent other than that, still does a lot of fumbling with the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I only seen the highlights but did Galvin actually play midfield? Considering for the last couple of years he's played deeper just behind the half back line as a playmaker starting all their attacks from back there I'd be surprised if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What's the story with Richie Hogan? Will he be back for the next match?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

I only seen the highlights but did Galvin actually play midfield? Considering for the last couple of years he's played deeper just behind the half back line as a playmaker starting all their attacks from back there I'd be surprised if he did.

He played midfield. Clare had 6 forwards at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

spacetrap wrote: »

He played midfield. Clare had 6 forwards at all times.
    They did in their arse Duggan was more in the half back line in the first half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement