Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Anyone know last time a kk tipp game finished goalless?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

minty81 wrote: »

2008 League match in Semple. As far as i know only ever happened twice in matches between them, league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

rebels sorted limerick today 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Ah young lad dont be losing the run of yourself now, no one not even Scruff is as Good as Ollie Walsh at his best. Ollie could liven a dull match make simple saves look wonderful and wonderful saves look simple all the time being belted from pillar to post by savages disguising themselves as forwards.

I stated in my opinion - less of the arrogance! Modesty is easy carried!

minty81 wrote: »

2006. Kilkenny beat us 19-10 in Thurles in the league round robin.

In 2007 the legend of 'two-goal Danny' was born when Danny O'Hanlon helped himself to 2-1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Good to pull out a win today, lots more to work with than we've had so far this year. Looks like Cody's job might be safe for another week anyway...

Workrate was better for sure. Delaney obviously had a great game at full back, and he might be an option in summer. That said, the highlight they kept showing was when he got in the flick to stop a goal chance. What they didn't show was that he was pretty badly turned just before that, forcing him into having to do it. Was a worrying thing because I think against Callinan in July or August you might not have the chance to catch up again.

Loved P Walsh pushing up the field even if it wasn't perfect, but I doubt we can afford the luxury of him playing further out than wing back come summer. Walter was in great form. Another lad I'm really warming to is Billy Ryan, he isn't putting it together for a whole match yet but he takes some lovely scores and has a good engine on him.

Paul Murphy looking better by far this week as we need him to be, but he's still doing a bit of hit and hope stuff.

A few lads who won't be happy with the day they had but as I said during the week I wasn't ready to hit the panic button over a bad day in February, as long as we put up a fight in Tipp and weren't so tactically naive. We did put up a fight, and that was all I wanted for now. Hard to tell tactically because I don't think Tipp were doing anything all that special on that front to challenge us. Winter hurling I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

2006. Kilkenny beat us 19-10 in Thurles in the league round robin.

In 2007 the legend of 'two-goal Danny' was born when Danny O'Hanlon helped himself to 2-1 :D

And hes still drinking on the strength of it ………..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Looking at the table Kilkenny will need the win in Wexford Park to make the QF. Very good match in store next week

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

If Tipperary beat Cork would we not be through to the quarter finals anyway ? Better head to head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

castlecat wrote: »
    If Tipperary beat Cork would we not be through to the quarter finals anyway ? Better head to head ?

Nope, not necessarily. Head to Head only comes into play if just two teams on same number of points. If there's more than two, decided by points difference.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    Looking at the table Kilkenny will need the win in Wexford Park to make the QF. Very good match in store next week

Not true. A draw might do and we can even qualify with a defeat. If Tipperary were to beat Cork and Limerick were to beat Clare. Ourselves, Tipperary, Cork and Clare would all be on 4 points to decide the 3rd and 4th positions. Which would be decided by points difference which would be dependent on the results of the next week's matches.

To be honest you could fry your brain going through all the various permutations, best thing to do is to just win in Wexford Park. Then we can start going through possible outcomes in Division 1b, with a quarter final against Dublin or Waterford due to be at home and the venue for a game against Galway to be decided by a toss of a coin!😂😂

Not true. A draw might do and we can even qualify with a defeat. If Tipperary were to beat Cork and Limerick were to beat Clare. Ourselves, Tipperary, Cork and Clare would all be on 4 points to decide the 3rd and 4th positions. Which would be decided by points difference which would be dependent on the results of the next week's matches.

To be honest you could fry your brain going through all the various permutations, best thing to do is to just win in Wexford Park. Then we can start going through possible outcomes in Division 1b, with a quarter final against Dublin or Waterford due to be at home and the venue for a game against Galway to be decided by a toss of a coin!����

Not easy to predict anything with these games.

Whats happens Kilkenny if all the home teams win the weekend

Wexford, Clare, Cork . Then Kilkenny would be knocked out ?

Village87 wrote: »
    Not easy to predict anything with these games.

Whats happens Kilkenny if all the home teams win the weekend

Wexford, Clare, Cork . Then Kilkenny would be knocked out ?

Yep, we won't be gone.

As an aside, last round of the league next weekend, with something riding on every game. Add in a top of the table shootout in Division 1b between Waterford and Galway and what have TG4 picked as their live match? A ****in football match between Roscommon and Dublin!

Yep, we won't be gone.

As an aside, last round of the league next weekend, with something riding on every game. Add in a top of the table shootout in Division 1b between Waterford and Galway and what have TG4 picked as their live match? A ****in football match between Roscommon and Dublin!

Not a thing between any of the 4 hurling games you mentioned there . Disgraceful carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Powerhouse wrote: »
    The other side of this would be that Tipperary were unlucky not to win but if you can't score fairly basic frees it's hard to say that. Neither team up to much anyway.

When you pick a ball straight in front of the ref you deserved to be punished.

Ah young lad dont be losing the run of yourself now, no one not even Scruff is as Good as Ollie Walsh at his best. Ollie could liven a dull match make simple saves look wonderful and wonderful saves look simple all the time being belted from pillar to post by savages disguising themselves as forwards.

We are blessed with some top keepers we had down through the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I stated in my opinion - less of the arrogance! Modesty is easy carried!

Modesty should never be borne unless one has earned that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

In fairness I was fairly down after last Sunday but still realistic we're going ok for this time of year and what we have available. The main thing we've shown every day was heart and fight and actually the thing that disappointed me most was that fight went of us for the first 15 to 20 mins of the second half against Limerick and the heads seem to drop but in fairness to them they picked it up again and drew the second half. Given all I'd heard on hear and down the town for the last week I thought we'd get an official notice for everyone in the county to bring all hurls to Nowlan park stack them all up in the middle of the field and burn them all, cause we're so bad at hurling now we might as well give up. Thankfully most people don't subscribe to that kind of reactionary thought or if they do it's not for long. We have some great hurlers at present and some are coming back from injury some have had a heavy load of games with Fitzgibbon as well and some are not available yet through Ballyhales exploits and injury. So in general I think the future is bright and I think we'll do well this summer. Having said that I didn't go to Thurles yesterday with a huge amount of hope after I saw the two teams that were named. However I was delighted with the display that the lads put in, the win was a bonus. It was far from a world beating display or anything but the heart and work rate we're back to a decent level more will be required and will come later in the year.
    Player ratings
    Eoin Murphy 8 only because he had no saves to make his frees were crucial in fact there were two others he probably should have taken one by Alan and one by Richie Hogan.
    Paul Murphy 7 a decent display good defending and better delivery forward although there were still a couple of aimless clearances.
    Conor Delaney 9 was what I expect him to be like someone else mentioned you'd like to see him play from the front a bit but in his first 2 games there your not going to try anything too crazy to leave the goal wide open if it doesn't come off.
    Tommy Walsh 8 was very sticky and I think is developing really well, I think he'll just get better.
    Conor Fogarty 7 a decent display was caught in possession once or twice but happy enough with him.
    Paddy Deegans 6 personally I thought an awful lot went through our center and I thought Paddy allowed himself to be dragged away from the center too often. His distribution on the ball was good however.
    Jason Cleere 7 for his first start this year I thought he did well he spoiled a good bit of ball got a lovely hook or two in also.
    Padraig Walsh 8 thought he was excellent but also went missing in patches would do better there with more game time.
    Alan Murphy 7 again did well for a lad on his first day out this year, slotted a good few frees and tackled well in the middle half of the field.
    John Donnelly 6 and that might be a bit generous, he fought hard but absolutely nothing worked for him
    Wally 9 had a great day and really lead the line with great catches and hard work, should only get better hopefully
    Ger Malone 8 did well worked hard and tackled really well and took his point well.
    Billy Ryan 8 showed well and one ball took his points well probably could have got another few
    Liam Blanchfield 7 started very well struggled after the shoulder to the armpit he got but continued to work hard
    Mossy 8 had a great game and regularly drifted out to the half forward line and midfield and got a great point near the end of the second half.

Richie Leahy 8 had a great impact when he came in scored a great point over his shoulder, he was also unfairly blown for a few frees
    James Maher 6 struggled to get into until the last 7-8mins
    Richie Hogan 7 did ok when he came in and get a lovely point near the end
    Niall Brasil not on long enough to judge but tried hard at least.

With so many to come back we're in a good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

2008 League match in Semple. As far as i know only ever happened twice in matches between them, league and championship.

22 May 1966Home final Kilkenny 0-9 - 0-7 Tipperary

This was the game, in my opinion, that ended Tipps dominance (physically in particular) over KK and in Championship and League overall.

Why even bother posting this. Absolutely no need for it.

What ahs happened between the original post and the one quoted here? Opposite statements.

• Advertisement

While all of what yousay is true I believe EM is more dependable and consistent than Ollie.

piuswal wrote: »
    22 May 1966Home final Kilkenny 0-9 - 0-7 Tipperary

This was the game, in my opinion, that ended Tipps dominance (physically in particular) over KK and in Championship and League overall.

I know that Fr Tommy Maher would have began to train the Kilkenny senior team around that time so they probably became a more physical team under him over the next two decades or so.

Hard to know when exactly the bit of softness began to creep in with Tipperary. I think we probably kept alot of lads on too long and the well dramatically dried up in the 70s. While we started winning underage titles in the very early 80s it probably took another 7 years to deliver on it in terms of winning Munsters (and 9 for the All ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Joe Daly wrote: »
    When you pick a ball straight in front of the ref you deserved to be punished.

So it’s a different matter if the referee doesn’t see it? No ethics or anything involved? Work away and chance your arm.

I haven’t the remotest notion why you aimed this reply at me. It seems to have nothing to do with anything I said but it’s funny at least.

piuswal wrote: »
    While all of what yousay is true I believe EM is more dependable and consistent than Ollie.

Different eras Walsh could be kicked, punched, shouldered, walked on frontal charged sidewards charged and then belted with the hurl as the old saying make sure both ball and goalie end up in the back of the net. No disrespect to Murphy he is probably the best of the modern keepers but in no way can he be considered the best of all time. That belongs to Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Good to pull out a win today, lots more to work with than we've had so far this year. Looks like Cody's job might be safe for another week anyway...

Workrate was better for sure. Delaney obviously had a great game at full back, and he might be an option in summer. That said, the highlight they kept showing was when he got in the flick to stop a goal chance. What they didn't show was that he was pretty badly turned just before that, forcing him into having to do it. Was a worrying thing because I think against Callinan in July or August you might not have the chance to catch up again.

Loved P Walsh pushing up the field even if it wasn't perfect, but I doubt we can afford the luxury of him playing further out than wing back come summer. Walter was in great form. Another lad I'm really warming to is Billy Ryan, he isn't putting it together for a whole match yet but he takes some lovely scores and has a good engine on him.

Paul Murphy looking better by far this week as we need him to be, but he's still doing a bit of hit and hope stuff.

A few lads who won't be happy with the day they had but as I said during the week I wasn't ready to hit the panic button over a bad day in February, as long as we put up a fight in Tipp and weren't so tactically naive. We did put up a fight, and that was all I wanted for now. Hard to tell tactically because I don't think Tipp were doing anything all that special on that front to challenge us. Winter hurling I suppose.

I couldn’t ever see Callanan getting the better of Delaney at this stage of Seamies career, not now, not July, not August.
    He has lost a yard of pace and Delaney done very well to get back because the ball Callanan was getting in suited a forward to turn inch perfect low onto the hurl out the side.
    Seamus Flanagan or Johnny Glynn would be trickier opponents to handle in the summer on the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Another big test this weekend.Difficult play against wexford especially at home and we're going down in the summer but what ill be most intrested in looking at is how we try counter their sweeper.i thought we had it cracked down there last year when we beat them but that was just a bad day for wexford.We didnt know what to do when we met again in the round robin.
    the sweeper has always caused us trouble even in our pomp i hope we have some kind of a plan and not lumping aimless ball into the fowards.

Different eras Walsh could be kicked, punched, shouldered, walked on frontal charged sidewards charged and then belted with the hurl as the old saying make sure both ball and goalie end up in the back of the net. No disrespect to Murphy he is probably the best of the modern keepers but in no way can he be considered the best of all time. That belongs to Walsh.

Where would you put N Skehan .

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Where would you put N Skehan .

(1)Walsh (2) Skehan (3) Murphy . I only ever saw two players draw people into the Park just to see them playing (1) DJ Carey (2) Ollie Walsh and Ollie used to draw a lot more. It was usual to see anything from 50 to 150 children follow Ollie around the Park in the days before TV generated super heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

conor05 wrote: »
    I couldn’t ever see Callanan getting the better of Delaney at this stage of Seamies career, not now, not July, not August.
    He has lost a yard of pace and Delaney done very well to get back because the ball Callanan was getting in suited a forward to turn inch perfect low onto the hurl out the side.
    Seamus Flanagan or Johnny Glynn would be trickier opponents to handle in the summer on the square.

I dunno if I agree about Callanan necessarily but you may have a point. The only thing is, any situation where we have a full back not named Padraig Walsh capable of holding even a declining Callanan would be a huge bonus for us in the summer, because if we someone reliable to go in there it opens up so many options for us further out the field to be able to put Walsh at wing back. But as you say, theirs bigger challenges coming down the road, I just think Sunday was a potentially big step forward for us at full back, even if it wasn't necessarily the revelation they were painting it as on TV. But if he can continue to progress now through the remainder of the league I think it's a massive bonus for us.

• Advertisement

Who was the best is subjective at the best of times but since I went to my 1st All Ireland in 57 I think have seen a fair few greats. Last Sundays team and the team selected the previous Sunday have stick-men to match the best we have produced since I began following Kilkenny all of nearly 70 years ago.
    Leahy, Donnelly, Malone, Keoghan, Maher , Delaney , Walsh and others are as skillful a group of players as we ever produced. Kilkenny are not lacking any basic skills what we are lacking at present is an enforcer in the Frank Cummins, Derek Lyng, Michael Fennelly, Brian Hogan, Jackie Tyrell mode and not one of these enforcers were noted for their physical strength when they were the same age as those I have listed

I read people here on about Limerick about how strong they are physically, about there conditioning etc etc. A lot of these Limerick players have been involved with Rugby and those who were not are involved with teammates who were. Physical training begins at 15 in the rugby academies and the philosophy of the rugby academies has spread across the GAA landscape in Limerick. For the most part physical strength is the sought after holy grail of these academies. Players are expected to be able to compete as adults at 20 and indeed Limerick have climbed to the very top with a group of players who in the previous years under 21 final made the Kilkenny under 21s look like a minor team. I doubt this type of training will lead to longer term success for the simple reason that one gets burnt out at a much much younger age . I hope Kilkenny do not go down this route..
    In today's Independent a line caught my eye "Well-beaten by Limerick on the scoreboard, if not in the actual exchanges," This writer saw the same game I saw last week and not the one the doomsayers saw, the ones who went for Cody's head, the ones who deemed Kilkenny so bad they would not win an All Ireland in the next 10 years. Kilkenny stood up to Limerick and fought them throughout the second half. Have no doubts if Limerick could' they would have beaten us out the gate by as many points as they could possible score. That both teams scored 8 poitns each in the second half is down to kilkenny doggedness, a great trait to have in any team.
    There is great potential in this Kilkenny team. There are great players playing on this Kilkenny team. We are getting over a bout of pure gluttony after the feasting we did between 2000 and 20015. This team is serving up little appetizers at present but it wont be too long before they are ready to once more serve the main course,,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement