Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I doubt this type of training will lead to longer term success for the simple reason that one gets burnt out at a much much younger age.

Kilkenny stood up to Limerick and fought them throughout the second half.

With respect, the comment about getting "burnt out" has little science behind it I would say. There's no reason why a properly monitored training programme should lead to burn out. And certainly the alternative you suggest as in 'not going down that route' is not really a proper response. Teams have little option but to embrace modern strength and conditioning.

You are reading too much into Kilkenny "standing up" to Limerick. What are teams supposed to do? Tipperary, for example, "stood up" in all their games last year and still failed to win one. Kilkenny "stood up" against Galway twice and Limerick but still failed to win all three games last year. Being competitive and going down with your boots on does not guarantee anything for the future.

Limerick are currently being put up as the team to beat. In reality Galway, Cork and Clare were just as good as them last year. Limerick is just one of several targets to judge yourself by.

Finally, it is fine to say that Kilkenny have "great potential" but what's the evidence for "great" potential? Under-age, for example, has been a struggle for them, and players like Reid and Hogan who have papered over many cracks (well Reid anyway, Hogan has operating in cameos only for a few years now) are in the winter of their careers. By the time others mature they will have to have been replaced. That will be a task too with no guarantees. It's not like the current team can be imagined three years down the road as a more mature outfit. Potential is still a distance from reality.

I think what you write is more "rally the troops"stuff than anything else. Yes, Kilkenny will be very competitive, but so will lots of teams. Yes, they will get out of Leinster handy enough. Yes, they have a good chance given the right draw and a bit of luck of ending up in an All Ireland semi-final but even though a lot would be read into that if it happened it guarantees nothing. I think Cork have been in seven semi-finals since they last won an All Ireland final.

Kilkenny are a work in progress but a lengthy wait for another All-Ireland title is in fact quite possible. The one thing they have in their favour is that Galway have a lot of key players at advanced ages, and Wexford are gone as far as they'll go, so coming out of the province will not be very challenging in the years ahead which gives Kilkenny every chance to develop and play in big games without a taxing provincial campaign taking them down. But your positivity is still exaggerated I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Powerhouse wrote: »
    With respect, the comment about getting "burnt out" has little science behind it I would say. There's no reason why a properly monitored training programme should lead to burn out. And certainly the alternative you suggest as in 'not going down that route' is not really a proper response. Teams have little option but to embrace modern strength and conditioning.

You are reading too much into Kilkenny "standing up" to Limerick. What are teams supposed to do? Tipperary, for example, "stood up" in all their games last year and still failed to win one. Kilkenny "stood up" against Galway twice and Limerick but still failed to win all three games last year. Being competitive and going down with your boots on does not guarantee anything for the future.

Limerick are currently being put up as the team to beat. In reality Galway, Cork and Clare were just as good as them last year. Limerick is just one of several targets to judge yourself by.

Finally, it is fine to say that Kilkenny have "great potential" but what's the evidence for "great" potential? Under-age, for example, has been a struggle for them, and players like Reid and Hogan who have papered over many cracks (well Reid anyway, Hogan has operating in cameos only for a few years now) are in the winter of their careers. By the time others mature they will have to have been replaced. That will be a task too with no guarantees. It's not like the current team can be imagined three years down the road as a more mature outfit. Potential is still a distance from reality.

I think what you write is more "rally the troops"stuff than anything else. Yes, Kilkenny will be very competitive, but so will lots of teams. Yes, they will get out of Leinster handy enough. Yes, they have a good chance given the right draw and a bit of luck of ending up in an All Ireland semi-final but even though a lot would be read into that if it happened it guarantees nothing. I think Cork have been in seven semi-finals since they last won an All Ireland final.

Kilkenny are a work in progress but a lengthy wait for another All-Ireland title is in fact quite possible. The one thing they have in their favour is that Galway have a lot of key players at advanced ages, and Wexford are gone as far as they'll go, so coming out of the province will not be very challenging in the years ahead which gives Kilkenny every chance to develop and play in big games without a taxing provincial campaign taking them down. But your positivity is still exaggerated I would think.

Well this one is going to easily proved or disproved all we have to do is wait until this years championship ends. Only one of us will be right. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Any suggestions for parking on Sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Comerman wrote: »
    Any suggestions for parking on Sunday??

St Peters College or North End soccer ground on opposite sides of Belvedere Road from one another about 5 minutes walk from the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

anyone know how we are with the injuries?aylward,kevin kelly,morrissey,brennan and lennon?ciarian wallace mustnt have made the cut he wasnt included in any squads so far.I thought he was steady at club the last few years and would of got a run.Its fair to say tommy is learning and will hopefully nail down a spot over the next few years.
    id like to see browne getting a run this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Different eras Walsh could be kicked, punched, shouldered, walked on frontal charged sidewards charged and then belted with the hurl as the old saying make sure both ball and goalie end up in the back of the net. No disrespect to Murphy he is probably the best of the modern keepers but in no way can he be considered the best of all time. That belongs to Walsh.

I agree with all of that. I simply said he was more dependable and probably a lot of that arises from the much greater protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

The odds for the Wexford / Kilkenny match:

Kilkenny 8/11
    Wexford 7/5

Should PooPooPooPoo the gambler invest in Kilkenny to beat the yellowbellies?

As an improving team, PooPooPooPoo thinks so and fancies Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Kilkenny 8/11
    Wexford 7/5

Very surprised at those odds, I would think Wexford should be favourites at home. But it's your money, do what you want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny 8/11
    Wexford 7/5

Could go anyway. Odds seem about right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil.v Wex.
    E Murphy
    P Murphy C Delaney T Walsh
    C Fogarty P Deegan J Cleere
    P Walsh A Murphy
    J Donnelly W Walsh G Malone
    B Ryan L Blanchfield M Keoghan
    Subs.
    E Morrissey
    C O'Shea
    C Browne
    M Cody
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Maher
    P Lyng
    C Martin
    L Scanlon
    N Brassil

• Advertisement

no changes just a few adjustments to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »

Maybe there'll bea change or 2 before throw in?

brookville wrote: »

Maybe there'll bea change or 2 before throw in?
    its hard to know i wouldnt be suprised.Im sure davie will have a few tricks up his sleeve but it'll be a good test for lads.Its always hard get a result down there.
    Just looking at the team named sunday has 7 starters from the u21 team that got bet by limerick 2 years ago and mossy came on that day.Its a good return if a few of these lads can make it.
    Not much talk on the match here but be nice to get a win but its very much a 50-50.im glad delaney is being tried at 3 and fogarty on the half back line where he has being very good for comer the last few years while padraig give us something different at mf.I think browne could be a good partner for padraig.
    Wexford have a nice spread of different scorers and seem to be trying more lads unlike previous years.Also physically probably stronger than us at the moment.There running game causes us trouble so hopefully we try a few different things to try counter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Would have started hogan in the corner, Leahy on the wing and Maher in the middle. Plenty of chances to lads though.
    Best of luck to the boys tomorrow. Not the easiest places to go and get a win.
    Expect the three above to come in and maybe Conor Browne.

Looks like wexford close to full strength today.
    Its not going to be easy but hopefully another solid performance from our backs and a little more clinical in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Looks like wexford close to full strength today.
    Its not going to be easy but hopefully another solid performance from our backs and a little more clinical in front of goal.

I think a strong performance is all that can be asked for. Wexford might have a bit more momentum and being at home is huge. Overall I think Kilkenny and Tipp are a little further away than I thought they'd be this year. Of course the Ballyhale contingent will be a boost but they aren't the panacea to cure all the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hope we win, if it's only just to avoid having to play in that pointless Relegation-without-actual-Relegation Playoff

Game has been called off 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Correct decision, the pitch was like a swamp in places, next Saturday in Wexford park by all accounts,

castlecat wrote: »
    Correct decision, the pitch was like a swamp in places, next Saturday in Wexford park by all accounts,

Should of could of been decided long before 1.30 though

• Advertisement

castlecat wrote: »

Swamp?
    That's a bit much. But possibly the right call even though we got soaked to and from.
    The decision should have been made by the ref at 12 noon. If you watched the ref running up.and down there were areas around the goal and 21 which were wet but generally not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Decisions should be made before a certain time before the start unless due to extreme weather or circumstances. With forecasts and groundsman they should have an idea of the limitations. Feel for the fans that travelled

Swamp?
    That's a bit much. But possibly the right call even though we got soaked to and from.
    The decision should have been made by the ref at 12 noon. If you watched the ref running up.and down there were areas around the goal and 21 which were wet but generally not too bad.
    They only seemed to be concerned about the area around 21's, was it only the ref's decision? I thought the decision would of been down to the managers. Also someone said that Cork played football there yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Decisions should be made before a certain time before the start unless due to extreme weather or circumstances. With forecasts and groundsman they should have an idea of the limitations. Feel for the fans that travelled

Just back from Wexford now, what a waste of a day. Really feel like the decision could have been made sooner to call it off.
    Worst of all though is that when supporters arrived outside Wexford Park they had the gates locked and weren’t letting people in. We had to stand for 15 minutes in the rain waiting for the gates to open. Why they couldn’t have just opened them up and get people in out of the rain I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Just back from Wexford now, what a waste of a day. Really feel like the decision could have been made sooner to call it off.
    Worst of all though is that when supporters arrived outside Wexford Park they had the gates locked and weren’t letting people in. We had to stand for 15 minutes in the rain waiting for the gates to open. Why they couldn’t have just opened them up and get people in out of the rain I don’t know.[/quote]

For a game that's due to start at 2pm 11.30 to 12 should be the latest time then put it on the radio and social media

There was three old diehard KK fans beside us (between 70/80 I'd reckon) who were there before 1, got the tea's settled down then opened the shopping bag and took out the jaffas and sambos when the announcement was made and everyone stood up to leave. They are the ones I feel sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Hopefully it wont affect the club matches the delay this weekend last year was a wash out as well, croke park would need to put there thinking caps on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭blackcard

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Hopefully it wont affect the club matches the delay this weekend last year was a wash out as well, croke park would need to put there thinking caps on.
    I think that Croke Park should do away with the League quarter finals this year so that the clubs are not affected. After all, there are 20 club players for every county player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Village87

Going on today results kk have to win or draw to make knock out stages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

laneykin wrote: »
    Worst of all though is that when supporters arrived outside Wexford Park they had the gates locked and weren’t letting people in. We had to stand for 15 minutes in the rain waiting for the gates to open. Why they couldn’t have just opened them up and get people in out of the rain I don’t know.

It looked like they enjoyed it leaving all those people out in the rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement