Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car blocking the Luas and giving the owner time to move it!

• 28-05-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭

So the Red line was suspended because some moron decided to park on the footpath and track at Jervis. The Gardai were called and decided to give the driver time to move it! The car should be dragged from the area, can't lift due to the wires, and then lifted and any damage done tough and a huge fine.

Thousands of people impacted because this country is too soft on this stuff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-suspended-jervis-4040904-May2018/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

What kind of idiot parks their car on the Luas line? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Who said he/she was getting away with it? They were hoping the driver would return as that's the quickest and easiest way of moving the car.

Having said that, if I was the Guard, I would have asked some of the shops if they had a forklift capable of moving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

She was apparently shopping in M&S!
    Where else was she to leave it? She was only going to be a few hours!
    But they couldn't have asked her to move it then, could they?
    The cheek of 'em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭brianomc

I would hope that the time they were giving the driver to move it was only the length of time it took the tow-truck to arrive. Feckin eejit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There should be one of these kept permanently in the city center:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVn_-9-3u4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bk wrote: »

Too high for the Luas line unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Wheety wrote:
    Having said that, if I was the Guard, I would have asked some of the shops if they had a forklift capable of moving it.
    And get yourself in trouble over compo payout for car damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There should be a special hefty fine for gob****es who park on the luas line

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flazio wrote: »
    Too high for the Luas line unfortunately.

Is it? Doesn't look that high to me, remember our Luas lines are high enough for a double decker bus to pass under.
    Yourmama wrote: »

No different then any other tow truck. In fact from what I've read about these beasts, they actually cause less damage then the traditional kind, it is one of their selling points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

In instances like this car should be towed and if owner can't prove it was an emergency let it be auctioned off along with other cars which are seized by CAB.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Or one of these:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images2/review_hted209_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

DCC have a 4x4 truck that could have removed it, looks like this...

tow-truck.jpg

Where we DCC council?

Any car like that should be moved right away and impounded down the back arse of Donegal to make sure they never do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yourmama wrote: »

Only if the legislation allows it, if the legislation to allow removal of badly parked vehicles says its at owners risk then tough..., a winch and a side lift would remove most things...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

When I lived in prague this was great to see, no clamps just towed straight away to the police cark park with a hefty fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wheety wrote: »
    Who said he/she was getting away with it? They were hoping the driver would return as that's the quickest and easiest way of moving the car.

Getting away with blocking public transport and the fine will be negligible compared to disruption caused.

The quickest and easiest way to have moved it was a rope through the towing eye and drag the fecking thing out of the way, any claim for damage should be laughed at. Even a group of people could have moved it clear of the tracks with zero damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just a thought .

Could the Luas sue the driver for disruption to their business .

I presume such disruption could easily be in 4 figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Del2005 wrote: »

The quickest and easiest way to have moved it was a rope through the towing eye and drag the fecking thing out of the way, any claim for damage should be laughed at. Even a group of people could have moved it clear of the tracks with zero damage.

Yeah the car could be moved in seconds with relative ease. If you need manpower you have a Luas load ready to go. It really annoys me that we have a culture in this country of prioritising the interests of the person causing the disruption over the many being delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SPDUB wrote: »
    Just a thought .

They should be able to sue for loss of earnings and delays, €50k an hour or part thereof should be minimum for such an episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TallGlass wrote: »
    DCC have a 4x4 truck that could have removed it, looks like this...

tow-truck.jpg

Where we DCC council?

Any car like that should be moved right away and impounded down the back arse of Donegal to make sure they never do it again.

This is widely used in the USA and very easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

You're all looking for solutions that are very complicated. California Highway Patrol have long mastered the art of clearing disabled vehicles from roads. All of their patrol vehicles are fitted with bull bars so they just shove offending vehicles clear of the road. No ropes, no picking up, no towing, no elegance, just brute force.

Youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Car should be towed asap, no way should the cops decide to give the driver some time to come back.
    The second it's reported a tow truck shoukd be sent.

Anyone who does that deserves a massive fine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Somewhat surprised it wasn't clamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

SPDUB wrote: »
    Just a thought .

Thereby creating a new legal phenomenon The Luas Chaser, barristers will hence forth rush from the four courts after every LUAS hoping a stupid motorist is blocking access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

moloner4 wrote: »
    When I lived in prague this was great to see, no clamps just towed straight away to the police cark park with a hefty fine.

Yes we need these in Dublin. Saw one in Italy where the car was blocking a bus from getting through on a narrow. Truck with hiab showed up quickly and had the car gone in under 90 seconds. Alternatively a few people could have bounced the car onto the pavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

moloner4 wrote: »

We used to have those in Dublin in the 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Must have been an off duty cop's car :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the Red line was suspended because some moron decided to park on the footpath and track at Jervis. The Gardai were called and decided to give the driver time to move it! The car should be dragged from the area, can't lift due to the wires, and then lifted and any damage done tough and a huge fine.

Thousands of people impacted because this country is too soft on this stuff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-suspended-jervis-4040904-May2018/

Hundred of millions of euro in taxpayers’ hard earned money poured into PT and brought to a halt over one selfish idiot and nobody in authority seemingly having any knowledge or right to fix the issue.

Absolute shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's just hard to believe.

What sort of selfish thick are you!?!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

How come they were gotten rid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Assume the gardai gave them minimum a ticket when the idiot arrived back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How come they were gotten rid of?
    No idea, but I'd guess that towing/clamping - which were run then by the Garda Traffic Corps - just got swept up in the rush to privatise everything.

The current clamping contractors have those monster-truck pick-up tow wagons which I see trundling around town all the time, yet I have literally never seen a car on the back of one. What do they do all day? :confused:

Was just going to say that, and they were operated by Gardai themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The driver should have asked his passengers to move it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

No idea, but I'd guess that towing/clamping - which were run then by the Garda Traffic Corps - just got swept up in the rush to privatise everything.

The current clamping contractors have those monster-truck pick-up tow wagons which I see trundling around town all the time, yet I have literally never seen a car on the back of one. What do they do all day? :confused:

Was thinking the same myself, most of the clamped cars I see are just clamped for not paying for parking or over staying parking in a parking spot.

For me it the attitude of the driver really, it's a serious fúck anyone else and everyone else I will do what I want.

And to think I have to share the road with such a fúcking moron and I can bet ya, that's the type of clown that does 80 in the outside lane on the M50 then shoots off across four lanes and over the chevrons cause they are paying no attention to which exit they are going off at.

And I also hope that the Gardaí actually checked they have a licence to drive and all was in order with that car, usually that type of driving uncovers other problems with regards insurance, tax, NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That's just hard to believe.

What sort of selfish thick are you!?!

Daughter got delayed on the Luas because of this thick and nearly missed an appointment

Other cities have muncipal police forces which deal with urban traffic offences such as illegal parking, directing traffic when lights are out, illegal usage of bus lane as well as the more minor crimes such as littering, dogs off leashes and that kind of thing issuing fines etc. They are employed by the council and are paid less than mainstream police officers. I think Dublin could do with these as a Garda backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Somewhat surprised it wasn't clamped.

Park in a bust stop on the likes of rathmines or Eden Quay and one won't even get a ticket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

markpb wrote: »
    You're all looking for solutions that are very complicated. California Highway Patrol have long mastered the art of clearing disabled vehicles from roads. All of their patrol vehicles are fitted with bull bars so they just shove offending vehicles clear of the road. No ropes, no picking up, no towing, no elegance, just brute force.

Youtube
    The Dodge Charger Pursuit has a 3.6 litre V6 engine. Those bull bars wouldn't be much use sellotaped to the front of an auld Mondeo...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Other cities have muncipal police forces which deal with urban traffic offences such as illegal parking, directing traffic when lights are out, illegal usage of bus lane as well as the more minor crimes such as littering, dogs off leashes and that kind of thing issuing fines etc. They are employed by the council and are paid less than mainstream police officers. I think Dublin could do with these as a Garda backup.

The Gardai would be complaining their jobs are being taken away from them, remember the backlash with community gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Car should have been taken away and thrown into a crusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fritzelly wrote: »
    The Gardai would be complaining they're jobs are being taken away from them, remember the backlash with community gardai
    No. Community policing is a role within the service. It wasn't outsourced.

Our cops could do all that type of work but don't. Dublin city centre is a free for all when it comes to traffic. Walk around the city centre any day of the week and thwre will be plenty of drivers acting the bollix but you rarely see a cop doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Driving in, blocking and parking in a bus lane (experience all 3 every morning & evening commute) is just as inconsiderate but is ignored by the authorities, media and general public. It's the tacit acceptance of that behaviour that leads motorists to believe that they can do whatever they like with impunity at the expense of us plebs who use public transport, because 9 times out of 10 they generally can. Even in this instance, lady in expensive car blocks a tram line and car wasn't even towed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

TallGlass wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself, most of the clamped cars I see are just clamped for not paying for parking or over staying parking in a parking spot.

For me it the attitude of the driver really, it's a serious fúck anyone else and everyone else I will do what I want.

And to think I have to share the road with such a fúcking moron and I can bet ya, that's the type of clown that does 80 in the outside lane on the M50 then shoots off across four lanes and over the chevrons cause they are paying no attention to which exit they are going off at.

And I also hope that the Gardaí actually checked they have a licence to drive and all was in order with that car, usually that type of driving uncovers other problems with regards insurance, tax, NCT.

I was there and I recognised the car, it actually belongs to a judge. Won't name the court or district but there you go, make of that what you will and what punishment will be bestowed upon them

sexmag wrote: »
    I was there and I recognised the car, it actually belongs to a judge. Won't name the court or district but there you go, make of that what you will and what punishment will be bestowed upon them

FFS not a thing will happen so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

We have a very serious problem here in Ireland with having just the Gardai being our only "policing" force and not having other policing forces with focus in different areas.

Traffic wardens could be turned into a more municipal type police force, with responsibility to not only hand out parking tickets *, but to also direct traffic, have cars towed, enforce bus lanes, etc.

Two weeks ago I was in Killarney and there most have been a dozen Gardai there just directing traffic! Now it was because the citizenship ceremony was on, but what a waste of resources, surely just some folks in yellow tops could have done the same.

Transport Policing is another example of this, get rid of the useless ticket checkers and security guys and replace them with transport police service who can both check tickets and do security and policing.

* One issue is that our cities make so much money from parking tickets, that is all they are focused on. If they were out directing traffic or having an individual car towed, then they aren't making as much as they could just ticketing cars.

Also that throws up the issue on the city not wanting to give up street parking they earn money off of to buses and why they don't want to eliminate cars completely from the city, parking revenue.

The whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Luas is bigger than any poxy car. Why not just nudge it out of the way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement