Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Ireland, International Friendly, Live on RTE 2 (k.o. 8pm)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's got to be a better way than, well not trying.

Our current tactics are to sit back, defend and hope for a miracle. There's no attempt to actually win the game, only to stop the opposition from scoring for as long as possible.

We'd ship 7 goals with this lot we have out there.
    mewso wrote:
    I have never bought this argument. They don't need to be technically better just able to pass the ball. The long ball game requires accuracy just as much as any "on the ground" philosophy. Granted under O'Neill it doesn't seem to be a requirement. Ultimately if you have a squad of professional footballers you can get results with a variety of approaches. Forgive me if I think that it might be worth trying something different if the "make up for lack of technical ability" approach results in losing 5-1 to Denmark.

We lost 5-1 to Denmark by leaving large gaps at the back which were ruthlessly exploited. It would be even worse against a genuine world class outfit.

Don't think many fans appreciate just how poor we really are. We haven't got the players to mix it with France the way you want. That's the painful reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Christ make a few subs Mon ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone genuinely think France would be worth a punt for the WC?

They have plenty of big names, just not sure about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"James McLean has a chance to measure one"

Boots ball into nearest defender without even looking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

That stat would embarrass the likes of San Marino playing France.

What can you say apart from no it wouldn’t, stop talking crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No-one thinks that Ireland are a team of superstars being held back, but it'd be nice to see them go into a game with an approach that actually tries to win a game.

Or at least tries to pass the ball about..

We've been routinely outpassed by nations which we would regard as inferior to ourselves. So it's not beyond Ireland to try something different to punt chasing.

This style of football is too pragmatic. It's Sam Allardyce-esque.. and that's fine if you measure football in very narrow terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think the French are stunned we tried to pass a few balls. Good to
    see Doyle make a good save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Decent stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I don't think anyone realistically expects Ireland to turn into Brazil. But at least attempt a pass on the ground to another player while looking up and not just keeping the head down and punting the ball as far away from you as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Good save by Doyle.

If we want to play that style then are we prepared to have McClean as only a plan B option and never starting a game again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

That could have gone anywhere

justshane wrote: »
    Christ make a few subs Mon ffs.

Please..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If we want to play that style then are we prepared to have McClean as only a plan B option and never starting a game again?

We have a habit of over-valuing the player with "heart" and as much as I admire McClean he can be as wasteful as much as productive and almost guaranteed a brainless foul a game. As to plan B? Under O'Neill it would be nice to have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We finally get one ball into the box and nobody in white, ball chested back to the keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

How come there's no 3 sponsor logo on the Irish jersey? I'd much prefer to buy an Irish jersey without that logo, as I think it ruins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mc Clean is not and should not be an international. First division at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Come on ref, call it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sligeach wrote: »
    How come there's no 3 sponsor logo on the Irish jersey? I'd much prefer to buy an Irish jersey without that logo, as I think it ruins it.

It's only on replica jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That was a gutless performance in the 1st half, there was no attempt to play football by the Irish players. At least try to pass the ball, at least try to give your teammates a chance.

Seems they are able to do some passing in the 2nd, funny how that happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

sligeach wrote: »

Way back in the day of Eircom, and possibly even Opel, the FAI and sponsors did a deal that all official replicia shirts had to have the logo, simple as that.

Official international match jerseys never have logos

There's got to be a better way than, well not trying.

Our current tactics are to sit back, defend and hope for a miracle. There's no attempt to actually win the game, only to stop the opposition from scoring for as long as possible.

We'd ship 7 goals with this lot we have out there.
    mewso wrote:
    I have never bought this argument. They don't need to be technically better just able to pass the ball. The long ball game requires accuracy just as much as any "on the ground" philosophy. Granted under O'Neill it doesn't seem to be a requirement. Ultimately if you have a squad of professional footballers you can get results with a variety of approaches. Forgive me if I think that it might be worth trying something different if the "make up for lack of technical ability" approach results in losing 5-1 to Denmark.

We lost 5-1 to Denmark by leaving large gaps at the back which were ruthlessly exploited. It would be even worse against a genuine world class outfit.

Don't think many fans appreciate just how poor we really are. We haven't got the players to mix it with France the way you want. That's the painful reality.

I would agree. In the face of overwhelming evidence that our players are painfully average technically Irish fans still want us to play progressive football and qualify for tournaments.

I am old enough to remember when ireland had a really good team. 24 years ago tomorrow we bet an imperious World Cup champion German team in Germany. That was when we were a team to be reckoned with. Albeit we still played negative football.

I think a lot of Irish fans are too young to remember when we truly had a good team.

Probably not but he was out best player in the last campaign so that means many of our players should not be near the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Who’s bright idea was it to throw the team into France after the confidence shattering game against Denmark??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. All the other wingers we have a far better options.

Jesus, practically walking it into our net, still, sure isn’t it a grand day out, we all had a pint, a sing song and a nice old time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

We should be playing Messi on one flank and Ronaldo on the other. So stupid picking mcclean

The weather there looks atrocious. Wouldn't be surprised if it stays the same result and every player just wants to leave

After could get sent off yet

Doyle gets ball in hands, massive punt, only Long in French half. Possession handed over.

That's just desperate. What was he expecting?

Who’s bright idea was it to throw the team into France after the confidence shattering game against Denmark??????

Probably worth close to a million for the FAI I'd expect

If not more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. All the other wingers we have a far better options.

If we have nobody better than Mc Clean then we really are hard up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Probably already said but great to see Coleman back in an Ireland jersey playing footie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sugarman wrote: »
    Burke!

Hate Rovers, Love LOI. Fair play to Graham.

They're bringing on griezman, dembele and pogba

We're bringing on league of Ireland players.

2 0 Martin o Neill should be made president

Whatever about loosing but it’s the complete lack of ambition that kills you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2 0 Martin o Neill should be made president

Well ya see they have Griezman, Dembele and Pogba on the bench... we don't. We could try sneak them on but I don't think we'd get away with it.

2 0 Martin o Neill should be made president[/QUOTE

Jes any excuse to put the league down, wha has Burke done wrong since he ca,e on? Looked as good as the rest of the players.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well ya see they have Griezman, Dembele and Pogba on the bench... we don't. We could try sneak them on but I don't think we'd get away with it.

See what I'm saying is that a 2 0 loss is not that bad at all.

At all at all at all.

Some people here thinking we should be all out to play them off the park. Fantasy land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The fact shane long continues to play is mystifying.. the man hasn't scored in how long?
    Horgan Surely deserves a game ffs!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The fact shane long continues to play is mystifying.. the man hasn't scored in how long?
    Horgan Surely deserves a game ffs!

Agreed.

Only had the play off final during the week tho. Prob needed a break . Should have left him off completely if he's on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

See what I'm saying is that a 2 0 loss is not that bad at all.

At all at all at all.

Some people here thinking we should be all out to play them off the park. Fantasy land

Yep.. we're a small country who doesn't have the players or the management/infrastructure to make the most of what IS there.

The idea that we can somehow compete consistently with the best is just unrealistic. It's great when we do get results, but they can't be "expected" as they are by some.

2-0 against this team in those conditions is pretty decent considering.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep.. we're a small country who doesn't have the players or the management/infrastructure to make the most of what IS there.

The idea that we can somehow compete consistently with the best is just unrealistic. It's great when we do get results, but they can't be "expected" as they are by some.

2-0 against this team in those conditions is pretty decent considering.

I think those conditions help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Think france have stopped playing a while ago

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm surprised no one has drowned yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This is grim, I'd say the train back to Paris with no gargle in that weather will be great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hamilton isn't really that arsed anymore is he?

• Advertisement

Seen one lad wearing armbands instead of boots

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

This match inst about the result, its about learning to play as a team. But we dont, as soon as we get the ball we hoof it up the pitch and hope for the best. Nothing learned from that, Ireland are really poor, did nothing the whole game, they could at least try and hold on to the ball and play a little.

Commentators talking about ireland improving in the 2nd half, France just cant hold on to the ball as well due to the conditions. Ireland has not improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Best chance for us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Jeez we are crap allright and theres no one good coming through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like rain Ted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement