Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Ireland, International Friendly, Live on RTE 2 (k.o. 8pm)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just as well the game has ended, or it would have been called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ha the last few minutes were enjoyable.

I'll take a 2-0 result. I figured we would lose by at least three goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dampsquid wrote: »
    This match inst about the result, its about learning to play as a team. But we dont, as soon as we get the ball we hoof it up the pitch and hope for the best. Nothing learned from that, Ireland are really poor, did nothing the whole game, they could at least try and hold on to the ball and play a little.

Commentators talking about ireland improving in the 2nd half, France just cant hold on to the ball as well due to the conditions. Ireland has not improved.

Can only blame the manager for that. It's the same "tactics" that served us so well (:rolleyes:) before the contract renewal.

There are some good lads there. Not top-class no, but as I said above it's not at all helped by the manager not knowing how to use what he has to best effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Zico ! wrote: »
    Jeez we are crap allright and theres no one good coming through

What about 18 year old rice who starts for a prem team ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Against a midfield of players from Bayern Munich, Juventus, Sevilla and probably a future Liverpool player we haven’t the players to compete.
    It's depressing. The calibre of player we have lining out for us has been in steady decline for 15 years now. The real scary thing about this team is just how desperate we are going to be for goals in the future. As bad as the options were for the last qualifying campaign, they look even worse this time out. Hoolahan and Murphy have both retired. Neither were world-beaters, but they both gave us something different. Walters is still with us, but he is 34 and looks a shadow of his former self. Shane Long technically is a good player, but he has been woeful for club for the last 2 years. Even with an increased 24 team format for the Euro's, I worry about our chances of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jeez we are crap allright and theres no one good coming through

Lots of talent in the underage teams, just struggle to make the breakthrough at English clubs between the ages of 19 to 22 which are the important years for a young lad to be getting experience playing senior football.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

So bad now a Shamrock Rovers player is been talked about as a good option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So bad now a Shamrock Rovers player is been talked about as a good option

Let him take the Magic Plane across the water and he'll all of a sudden be worthy after a week.

See Maguire, Sean

Only for doyler in goal it would of been way worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

We were terrible
    We can take heart it was a friendly and we were blooding new players

Williams (LB) did well

Not a game for midfielders so Rice was bypassed

Some of the passing was worse than a schoolboy match

Coleman was off the pace

Doyle apart from his comical save /goal wasn't too bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Lads we are ****e,didn’t need to see that. All you had to see was the squad announcement.

Now we have to put up with that angry little man telling tony how proud he was of a team that didnt even have a shot on goal-rubbish

Lots of talent in the underage teams.

We’ll see, few prospects. Not pulling up any trees in underage tournaments. Think we’ve only qualified for one in the last 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only for doyler in goal it would of been way worse

Except for the 2nd goal and all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Let him take the Magic Plane across the water and he'll all of a sudden be worthy after a week.

See Maguire, Sean
    I never really understand the point that is being put forward here. The reason he takes the magic plane is because he's good enough to get an offer at a higher level. If he's not good enough, he stays at a lower level and ergo, is not qualified for the national team. Simple really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The idea that we can somehow compete consistently with the best is just unrealistic. It's great when we do get results, but they can't be "expected" as they are by some.
    See what I'm saying is that a 2 0 loss is not that bad at all.

At all at all at all.

Some people here thinking we should be all out to play them off the park. Fantasy land

Thanks for the reminder why it is completely pointless trying to have a discussion in this forum. Who on this thread said that we should be playing France off the park?

It’s extremely unusual that no one on the RTE panel thinks with the possible exception of Liam Brady that Ireland don’t play good football because they don’t have good footballers. It’s always O’Neill’s fault. It’s should be about 50/50 like on here you’d imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

These friendlies are vital for playing the same way and not experimenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling we will get Relagated from the nations league group

a bad draw in the euro qualifers and we won't make it simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Well this game has succeeded in making me look forward to the Nations League, international friendlies are such muck to watch and the less of them we have to play the better. Not going to read into the result or performance too much as we basically played a B team who are almost on their summer holidays and were up against one of the favourites for the World Cup. On the plus side MON seems to be blooding plenty of new players, on the downside it looks like he isn't instructing them to play any differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To the people happy with a 2 nil loss.

Would you be happier if we only list 1 nil but we put 11 lads in goal and pretty much blocked it completely?

You don't have to be Messi to side foot the ball 10 yards to someone wearing the same colour as you are. Even if he gets in trouble, will it back to the keeper and let him pass it up the other wing.

What's our issue with the keeper passing the ball to someone's feet? Even throw it to them...all we get is a mortar up towards Long.

Deal with that Shane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Use to follow the team religiously, wouldn't miss a game.

Didn't even know this game was on.

That's the indictment for me of how much, like many, I just don't care anymore. It's the same demoralising hoofball rubbish over and over again. They can't or won't string two decent passes together.

I understand their limitations but there is no excuse for not being able to hold on to ball more.

Depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's the indictment for me of how much, like many, I just don't care anymore. It's the same demoralising hoofball rubbish over and over again. They can't or won't string two decent passes together.

I understand their limitations but there is no excuse for not being able to hold on to ball more.

Depressing.

Same, at least under Charlton when we played hoof ball there was an actual plan behind it. It is, or at least seems to be, aimless under O’Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Same, at least under Charlton when we played hoof ball there was an actual plan behind it. It is, or at least seems to be, aimless under O’Neill.

+1

You can say what you want about the players that we do or don't have available to us but it all boils down to having a plan at international football and it's obvious that O'Neill has no plan.

There are plenty of teams in international football who don't have the players but what they do have is organisation and there's no excuse for O'Neill not having that. For that he is to blame, him and him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even if some of you want relegate the PL players we have to championship level its still pathetic that Ireland can't hold into the ball for more then 5 seconds.

O Neill should do decent thing and **** off but not much chance if that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Even if some of you want relegate the PL players we have to championship level its still pathetic that Ireland can't hold into the ball for more then 5 seconds.

O Neill should do decent thing and **** off but not much chance if that

No hope hes going anywhere.

I forgot about this game, thankfully, it sounded dreadful.

I dont think i'll need to find the highlights to work out how we played considering who the manager is.

You cant lament a 2-0 loss to France because it was only 2-0, it sounds like France didnt bother their arse to get out of first gear and considering they have a WC in under 3 weeks, thats probably a good thing and saved us from a proper hiding.

Theres nobody calling for expansive, free flowing football but at least try something different, thats what these games should be for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Depressing.

DO you a support a club team or only follow them when they are doing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can understand that we were weak and under-strength.
    I can understand that France are an excellent team with an exceedingly strong panel.
    What I cannot understand is the game-plan. Like what's the use of spending all the game in your own half with the exception of a few hoofs into the opposition half or over the sideline and it coming straight back at you?. What's that about?? Why not try in these friendlies to hold onto the ball and pass it around a bit?

O'Neill said that he wanted the new lads to "savour the atmosphere" surely they could do that by attending a few good internationals. I want us to play football as that's what the game is named.
    I'm not even annoyed anymore because I expect this rubbish but it's hardly encouraging young players.

Depressing.

All due respect, the reason you may have followed the team religiously and now don’t probably has more to do with Duff, dunne, Robbie, Kevin Doyle, John Oshea and Wes retiring. These were players that could be depended upon to test most opponents. Now all we have is Seamus.

Some posters here need to sit down and look through the squad announced for these games and actually dwell on how bad these players are.

Against a team like France with world stars in every position we did what we ought to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

All due respect, the reason you may have followed the team religiously and now don’t probably has more to do with Duff, dunne, Robbie, Kevin Doyle, John Oshea and Wes retiring. These were players that could be depended upon to test most opponents. Now all we have is Seamus.

Some posters here need to sit down and look through the squad announced for these games and actually dwell on how bad these players are.

Against a team like France with world stars in every position we did what we ought to do.

Testing opponents is one thing, but holding onto the ball for a minute is another.

The plan seems to be that we cant concede if the ball spends half the match up in the air.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

We'll have to ask those galaticos of Luxemburg and Belarus for some pointers.

Is our squad worst than Iceland’s? Wales? NIs? All limited squads who played to a proper plan in recent years and had success.

What ought we do against Georgia? Because we performed the same against them as we did against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep.. we're a small country who doesn't have the players or the management/infrastructure to make the most of what IS there.

The idea that we can somehow compete consistently with the best is just unrealistic. It's great when we do get results, but they can't be "expected" as they are by some.

2-0 against this team in those conditions is pretty decent considering.

The Charlton era casts a long shadow in this country.

For a few years Ireland were able to mix it with the best.

In the run up to the '94 they beat both Germany and Holland in friendlies away from home.

Compare that to last night.

But people still think it's the Charlton era and expect them to be world beaters

Iceland are having their Charlton era now, Costa Rica had their Italia '90 in Brazil '14.

NI had their great period between '82 and '86.

It's no longer the Charlton era and may never be again for another century.

People need to understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think people are expecting success or to consistently stick it to the big guns, you only have to look at the squad and whats coming behind them in terms of 17-21 year olds to realise we're a 3rd tier nation, 2nd on a good day.

However, what we can expect is at least to attempt to play decent football, what we're doing here is playing Sunday morning kick and chase hoofball with professional footballers, while not exceptionally gifted, they're better than what they're being asked to do.

The results for a team like Ireland will always be what matters but when they dry up and I think they will increasingly under MON, what have you to look forward to, 90mins of dire football you could watch in any amateur league every weekend up and down the country.

I'm not expecting Ireland to suddenly shift to a progressive, possession based game and dominate teams that are vastly superior across the park than us but at least go out and try play something that resembles football because as I said, I think the results in the next 2-3 years are only going to go one way under MON and I fear even with the increased Euro Finals capacity, we'll miss out this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Using that "regressive" plan we got to a playoff for the World Cup. And nearly went 2 - 0 up in the second leg before it all unraveled.

This Ireland squad is abysmal, absolutely abysmal:

Bradford
    Peterborough
    Bohemians

Sunderland
    Everton
    Brighton
    Burnley
    Preston
    Wolves
    Brentford
    West Ham
    Blackburn
    Blackburn
    Sheffield Utd

West Brom
    Burnley
    Hull
    Bournemouth
    Bristol
    Leeds
    Preston
    Brentford
    Preston
    Millwall

Southampton
    Burnley
    Shamrock Rovers

Worst squad of my lifetime as an Irish fan. ****ing look at it!!

When the competitive games roll around the only chance we'll have is via a tight limited physical game plan and depending upon the fact that the players always give us everything they have in terms of effort. If we tried to play football we'll be ****ing slapped around. This is reality lads. You may not like it but there it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Using that "regressive" plan we got to a playoff for the World Cup. And nearly went 2 - 0 up in the second leg before it all unraveled.

Bradford
    Peterborough
    Bohemians

Sunderland
    Everton
    Brighton
    Burnley
    Preston
    Wolves
    Brentford
    West Ham
    Blackburn
    Blackburn
    Sheffield Utd

West Brom
    Burnley
    Hull
    Bournemouth
    Bristol
    Leeds
    Preston
    Brentford
    Preston
    Millwall

Southampton
    Burnley
    Shamrock Rovers

When the competitive games roll around the only chance we'll have is via a tight limited physical game plan and depending upon the fact that the players always give us everything they have in terms of effort. If we tried to play football we'll be ****ing slapped around. This is reality lads. You may not like it but there it is.

Worst manager by a long way in my lifetime as an an Ireland fan. There just doesn't seem to be a plan with him. We're defending in our own half and inviting teams on to us by hoofing the ball back to them constantly. I don't agree with this we can't play football nonsense. Dundalk were able to do it against the likes of Zenit St Petersburg and AZ Alkmaar and there is no way that the likes of Georgia have better players than them and that Ireland have worse players than us.

Like it's common sense, the less time the opposition has the ball the less opportunities they will have to score

In the run up to the '94 they beat both Germany and Holland in friendlies away from home.

But people still think it's the Charlton era and expect them to be world beaters

Iceland are having their Charlton era now, Costa Rica had their Italia '90 in Brazil '14.

Yes or no, struggling against the likes of Georgia because of the ultra defensive style of football is acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

doncarlos wrote: »
    Worst manager by a long way in my lifetime as an an Ireland fan. There just doesn't seem to be a plan with him. We're defending in our own half and inviting teams on to us by hoofing the ball back to them constantly. I don't agree with this we can't play football nonsense. Dundalk were able to do it against the likes of Zenit St Petersburg and AZ Alkmaar and there is no way that the likes of Georgia have better players than them and that Ireland have worse players than us.

Like it's common sense, the less time the opposition has the ball the less opportunities they will have to score

I can only assume you were born after 2012 then. Are you seriously saying that both Trap and Stan, yes Stan, were better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DO you a support a club team or only follow them when they are doing well?

It has nothing to do with that.

I'll watch a game if one is on and I support the team.

I'm just not all that bothered about it.

That is not due to losing, it is due to the style of football.

No one is expecting miracles. But for goodness sake - just a few passes. That's all. Some actual football in between the anti football.

Is it too much too ask to mix things up a bit?

I can only assume you were born after 2012 then. Are you seriously saying that both Trap and Stan, yes Stan, were better?

If all O’Neill did was beat Germany and Gibraltar he would still have been a better manager than Stan. It’s such bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I do agree that this is up there for worst available squad we've had but I did hear Stephen Warnock talk about his time as a pro and being managed under O'Neill came up. He said there wasn't any real training, no fitness training or tactics, it was basically a 5 a side kick about. He said his fitness declined and when it was brought up you were told to supplement it yourself. Also mentioned that training wasn't regular, play Saturday/Sunday and you might not be back in until Wednesday/Thursday.

Pinch of salt with these type of things but there's been a few players who've said similar about O'Neill. I doubt he has stepped up his training regime since then but Villa were quite competitive under O'Neill (they did spend a decent amount during that time) so maybe it works sometimes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

False premise. Show one post where someone argues that this current crop of players is remotely like anything from the Charlton era.

All I see is a disappointment at Ireland's repeated failure to do anything that might be interpreted as even remotely positive or constructive.

If all O’Neill did was beat Germany and Gibraltar he would still have been a better manager than Stan. It’s such bollocks.

O'Neills win record is 38.3% compared to Stan's 35.3% so apologies, he's marginally better than Stan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

O'Neills win record is 38.3% compared to Stan's 35.3% so apologies, he's marginally better than Stan

Proof if ever it was needed that 'there are lies, damn lies, and statistics'

O'Neill deserves a reasonable amount of criticism for the last campaign, but its ridiculous comparing him to Stan. There have been very few bad results (performances, yes) against poorer teams, and he has come up with some great results against big teams. The one campaign under Stan was farcical. Yesterday was eye-bleedingly awful, and we''re not gonna play a lot of pretty football as long as O'Neill is manager, but a bit of context wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was a kid standing on the lower east stand terrace with my father during the Charlton era and the sense arriving at the ground was that we could beat anyone and we did

No way were we as skillfull as other teams but we played to our strengths

Was a kid standing on the lower east stand terrace with my father during the Charlton era and the sense arriving at the ground was that we could beat anyone and we did

No way were we as skillfull as other teams but we played to our strengths

Yeah, Paul McGrath was a complete cart horse (won players’ player of the year in England) and what did Ronnie whelan, John Aldridge, Staunton and houghton ever win... whelan alone won six League title medals, three FA Cups, a European Cup and three league Cup medals.

Ye boys are funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah, Paul McGrath was a complete cart horse (won players’ player of the year in England) and what did Ronnie whelan, John Aldridge, Staunton and houghton ever win... whelan alone won six League title medals, three FA Cups, a European Cup and three league Cup medals.

Ye boys are funny.

Not tested due to the ban

You literally have no idea. Those players may have been great for their clubs, but it was Jacks way or no way for Ireland. Route one, bypass the midfield. No wonder O’Neill gets away with it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Bradford
    Peterborough
    Bohemians

Sunderland
    Everton
    Brighton
    Burnley
    Preston
    Wolves
    Brentford
    West Ham
    Blackburn
    Blackburn
    Sheffield Utd

West Brom
    Burnley
    Hull
    Bournemouth
    Bristol
    Leeds
    Preston
    Brentford
    Preston
    Millwall

Southampton
    Burnley
    Shamrock Rovers

No one said we need to play “football”, but we should at the very least have a plan. We don’t look like we’ve had one since midway through the last campaign. I think O’Neill shat it being top of the group, and instead of continuing as we had been playing, he tried to shore up and hold position, which looks to have decimated the confidence of the players.

• Advertisement

Ye boys are funny.

And how did we play? Like the all conquering Pool team of the time that the aforementioned played for? Like PL runners up Villa who McGrath played for?

No, we played to a strict possession in the opposition half based game.

Tight at the back when the opposition had it, when we got it, launch it up to the big man, he headed it to the wings, and the striker and midfielders got into the box for the cross. We weren’t Barcelona, but we had a plan to put the opposition under pressure and it worked.

Gameplan now, whether against France, Moldova or Georgia is, 9 men defending, when we get the ball launch it into the opposition half (doesn’t matter where) Long will chase aimlessly, rinse and repeat.

Advertisement