Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional appearance for a man

• 28-05-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to change my appearance to bring about abit more of a professional look. I'm a 26 year old guy. I don't want to be too overdressed and end up looking like a young knob in a suit either. Somewhere half way so I don't look overkill.... What would you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Dark jeans, tan/brown shoes, shirt with top button open and a belt to match shoes. Find that always looks smart without being overdressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Dave147 wrote: »
    Dark jeans, tan/brown shoes, shirt with top button open and a belt to match shoes. Find that always looks smart without being overdressed.

Yes that sounds pretty good for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I would highly recommend a website called Primer Magazine for you, OP. They are specifically for young men in their20's, new and recent grads like yourself. They have as series called "the getups" which I'd recommend having a look though.

Yes they're American but while you mightn't be able to buy the exact things they recommend for different occasions, you'll be able to see suggestions and how to put things together.

For what you're specifically looking for it'll depend on your sector but something like these would be appropriate pretty much in any workplace:

One

Two

Three (My personal favourite).

Three things that will always work well to dress you up for work without looking stuffy are brown shoes (ideally something like a desert boot or a casual brown leather shoe- not a sneaker), wool trousers/ chinos; and a sport coat of some description. TBH you can even throw a sport coat on over a t-shirt and jeans and provided it fits well you'll look better than 90% of guys.

Advertisement