Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Got Holebas in GW 5..

Before I got him: 13, 2, 9, 10

After I got him: 0, 1, 1, -1, 0, 0, 1

Mother of Christ. And I still have him.

Same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Got Holebas in GW 5..

Don’t worry in 4 games time he will be suspended again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Got Holebas in GW 5..

That is amazingly bad luck, how big was that trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Mane has no assist this season at all.

He's always going to be the kind of player who has more goals than assists. He's very selfish and a reason I will never own him. Sure he gets you 10+ goals a season, but watching him blaze them wide/over time and time again when the sensible option is to square it to the open man is infuriating

Liverpool attack becoming a huge worry for me now.

I’ve Robertson, Mane and Salah but if they don’t click soon I’ll have to drop one of the midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool attack becoming a huge worry for me now.

I’ve Robertson, Mane and Salah but if they don’t click soon I’ll have to drop one of the midfielders.

If ever there was a time to click it's Fulham at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"Clicking" is relative. Are they banging in the goals like city? Of course not but an average of 3 goals per game is ridiculous. Liverpool have scored the 4th most goals and have played the rest of the top 5.

Let's see how they get on in their upcoming stretch of fixtures. I certainly won't be jumping ship anytime soon. If Mane does outperform Salah in the next 2/3 weeks I think I'll downgrade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

S.M.B. wrote: »
    "Clicking" is relative. Are they banging in the goals like city? Of course not but an average of 3 goals per game is ridiculous. Liverpool have scored the 4th most goals and have played the rest of the top 5.

Let's see how they get on in their upcoming stretch of fixtures. I certainly won't be jumping ship anytime soon. If Mane does outperform Salah in the next 2/3 weeks I think I'll downgrade though.

Attacking wise they look nothing like last season in the last 6 or 7 games if you include the CL games. Particularly away from home.

Attacking wise they look nothing like last season in the last 6 or 7 games if you include the CL games. Particularly away from home.

This is what I mean by clicking.

They don’t look half as threatening as last season.

I was willing to sit it out but recent games have worried me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

This is what I mean by clicking.

They don’t look half as threatening as last season.

I was willing to sit it out but recent games have worried me.

They clicked against Cardiff. As I said previously, Klopp has become Mr. Pragmatic this season, I think we still easily beat teams like Cardiff and Fulham at home with Salah and Mane getting great scores, but away from home I am not expecting a lot. A lot of gritty 1-0 wins. The match against Arsenal is the perfect example - 4-3 and 3-3 the two previous seasons.

The other point to make is that Firmino has been off the boil completely all season and he was a big factor in Salah having a great season last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

claw wrote: »
    They clicked against Cardiff. As I said previously, Klopp has become Mr. Pragmatic this season, I think we still easily beat teams like Cardiff and Fulham at home with Salah and Mane getting great scores, but away from home I am not expecting a lot. A lot of gritty 1-0 wins. The match against Arsenal is the perfect example - 4-3 and 3-3 the two previous seasons.

The other point to make is that Firmino has been off the boil completely all season and he was a big factor in Salah having a great season last year.

That’s a perfect reason to only have one attacking asset. You can’t afford to have 22m tied up in two players who are liable to produce 6-8pts every second weekend.
    I’ve Firmino but he’ll be going after this weekend, he has been abysmal. He’s holding out Laca or stopping me upgrading a 4.5 mid to Martial and getting a premium defender.
    Out of Mane and Salah I can’t see the benefit of having Salah over Mane, he enables three other big hitters

Green&Red wrote: »
    That’s a perfect reason to only have one attacking asset. You can’t afford to have 22m tied up in two players who are liable to produce 6-8pts every second weekend.
    I’ve Firmino but he’ll be going after this weekend, he has been abysmal. He’s holding out Laca or stopping me upgrading a 4.5 mid to Martial and getting a premium defender.
    Out of Mane and Salah I can’t see the benefit of having Salah over Mane, he enables three other big hitters

I've had both Salah and Mane since the start but I will be looking to get Hazard in for Mane by the time Chelsea play Fulham, maybe even before. Ideally I will keep Salah. Since week 4, Mane has only delivered once while Salah has been chipping in with points. Don't expect Mane to be anywhere near Salah in points total by the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Hoarse Whisperer

Re. Liverpools attack not firing as well as last year.

It could be that they are missing the input of that supposed genius of a coach that Klopp calls 'the brain'! Been on a leave of absence since before CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm half-thinking of Triple Captaining Salah this weekend....

Reasoning being that Fulham are absolute tripe and Klopp will have given everyone a proper rollicking/bollocking after last night's sh1t show in Belgrade.

I've had 3 mega fails with the TC in my time playing FPL (Carroll, Aguero and Lukaku) all in DGW's so feel like Salah this GW is as good a prospect as there's going to be...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Re. Liverpools attack not firing as well as last year.

It could be that they are missing the input of that supposed genius of a coach that Klopp calls 'the brain'! Been on a leave of absence since before CL final.

Dont think so i think its only become apparent in the last 6 or 7 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Dont think so i think its only become apparent in the last 6 or 7 games.

I think this correlates very well given Liverpools fixtures

*Plays funky music* - Let's take a look

October 2018
    03/10 Napoli V Liverpool - Result 1-0 Napoli
    07/10 Liverpool V City - Result 0-0
    20/10 Huddersfield V Liverpool - Result 0-1 Liverpool
    24/10 Liverpool V Red Star Belgrade - Result 4-0 Liverpool
    27/10 Liverpool V Cardiff - Result 4-1 Liverpool

November 2018
    03/11 Arsenal V Liverpool - 1-1
    06/11 Red Star Belgrade V Liverpool 2-0 RSB

So, in the past few months Liverpool had the difficult fixtures of:

Napoli
    City
    Arsenal

They scored a total of 1 goal in those 3 difficult fixtures.

Easier fixtures of

Huddersfield
    RBS
    Cardiff
    RBS

They scored a total of 9 goals. So just over an average of 2GPG. It's worth noting that 8 of those goals game at home. 4-0 and 4-0.

My thoughts: Liverpool previously were always known to get results against the big 6 - I don't have stats off hand but I think they had one of the best records against top 6. The reason Liverpool mostly struggled for Top 4/Title pushes was they failed to break down lower tier teams and often had freak lose results.

Now it seems to be the opposite. Hammering lower tier teams at home but playing tight against the big teams - this could be due to the fact they know they can't drop points against the big 6 for the title so they play more conservative ( Slick, Klopp, Busts may be able to give more insight as Liverpool fans)

Going forward I would think that if Liverpool had a nice run of home fixtures against lower tier you can get away with Salah/Mane as I'd expect goals. With the evidence proof so far that Liverpool are struggling to break down the big teams doubling up may not be ideal.

Alright I should get back to work. Hope you's enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Salah and Mane are in 3rd and 4th highest scorers in the Midfield bracket (5th and 6th in Mids & Forwards) yet Liverpool haven't clicked.
    While I agree with the haven't clicked bit, what is important to note is that the source of the majority of Liverpool's goals this season are through Mane & Salah.
    Liverpool will start scoring, there is no doubt about that and when they do, these 2 will be the fore of this.
    With that I have had only 1 attacking Liverpool asset because of their overall attacking form plus their fixture list - Chelsea away, Spurs away, Arsenal away and City too. Fixtures will and are easing.

The game is always about being ahead of the game, so while everyone will ship these out I will be goign with both Mane & Salah from here on til Xmas

October 2018

November 2018

Napoli
    City
    Arsenal

Easier fixtures of

Huddersfield
    RBS
    Cardiff
    RBS

They scored a total of 9 goals. So just over an average of 2GPG. It's worth noting that 8 of those goals game at home. 4-0 and 4-0.

My thoughts: Liverpool previously were always known to get results against the big 6 - I don't have stats off hand but I think they had one of the best records against top 6. The reason Liverpool mostly struggled for Top 4/Title pushes was they failed to break down lower tier teams and often had freak lose results.

Now it seems to be the opposite. Hammering lower tier teams at home but playing tight against the big teams - this could be due to the fact they know they can't drop points against the big 6 for the title so they play more conservative ( Slick, Klopp, Busts may be able to give more insight as Liverpool fans)

Going forward I would think that if Liverpool had a nice run of home fixtures against lower tier you can get away with Salah/Mane as I'd expect goals. With the evidence proof so far that Liverpool are struggling to break down the big teams doubling up may not be ideal.

I follow Liverpool and the conservative approach away from home this season is against all opposition, not just the big teams. Huddersfield being the perfect example, went 1-0 up and seemed to be happy with that. The two away matches earlier in the season, Palace and Leicester were the same idea, they just happened to score 2 goals in those matches, very lucky to get 2 goals particularly against Palace.

The next three away matches are Watford, Burnley and Bournemouth. As a fan I would snap your hand off for three 1-0 wins but that is no use if you have both Salah and Mane. We have only played City at home so it's too early to say what the approach against the other big teams will be when we play them at Anfield.

October 2018

November 2018

Napoli
    City
    Arsenal

Easier fixtures of

Huddersfield
    RBS
    Cardiff
    RBS

My problem with it is when u compare the first 7 to 8 games of this season with the latest 7 or 8 games. In the first seven games they played psg at home 3 goals, spurs away 2 goals and chelsea away 1 goal. In all those games i felt they were dangerous and creating chances like last year. Compare that to city at home , napoli away both games they never looked like scoring . Arsenal away wasnt bad .
    The easier games in the last 7. Huddersfield and last night was very poor never really looked like scoring much. Red star at home was decent . I didnt see the cardiff game so cant comment.
    Personally i think there has been a drop off in attacking performance in both the easier and the harder games of late. Im not worried about this week but unless there is a huge improvement this weekend Ill probably be selling salah.

I’m not great with the stats.

Hard to find and hard for me to understand.

95% of my FPL game is the eye test and Liverpool attack are worrying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I’m not great with the stats.

Hard to find and hard for me to understand.

95% of my FPL game is the eye test and Liverpool attack are worrying me.
    I lol'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Never underestimate the eye test

manual_man wrote: »
    Never underestimate the eye test

If I didn’t watch the games I’d have zero interest in playing FPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

This probably fits in here.
    I’m into week 12 of a last man standing, gone are city, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, Southampton, Watford, West Ham, Chelsea

Choices this week are
    Brighton away to Cardiff
    Cardiff home to Brighton!
    Newcastle home to Bournemouth
    Bournemouth away to Newcastle!

Bookies say Cardiff or Bournemouth, I think Newcastle are coming round.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Bournemouth for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

I’m into week 12 of a last man standing, gone are city, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, Southampton, Watford, West Ham, Chelsea

Choices this week are
    Brighton away to Cardiff

Thoughts?

Cardiff are poor - would go Brighton if it was me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Choices this week are
    Brighton away to Cardiff

Thoughts?

christ that is a tough call!!!!Both could easily be draws and I have a feeling Cardiff Brighton will most likely be a draw
    So Newcastle or Bournemouth...........long trip up for Bournemouth and they are an odd team but i hesitantly go for them as they are capable of doing something the other 3 don't do much SCORING GOALS

Cardiff are poor - would go Brighton if it was me

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You're pretty much spot on with this, but it's because we're missing a key component in our attack.

when Coutinho left, we lost a creative force, but Ox and Can covered for it as they could drive forward with the ball to open games up.

Ox got injured, and Can has left.

Keita was supposed to provide that drive, but has been a mixture of injured and failing to hit the ground running so to speak. basically, we don't have anybody to open up the game sufficiently to allow Salah, Mane and Firmino to work to their full potential.

it's also why we tried to get Fekir. another game breaker.

until Keita hits form, I don't think Liverpool are overly reliable for big hauls - certainly not as reliable as City. the catch to this is that I think any of the top 6 teams can hammer any of the dross at any given point, so from that point of view, if Liverpool have a good run of fixtures, it's a risk not having cover. it's even more risky due to high ownership of Liverpool assets.

i'll be captaining Salah this weekend because they're good enough to score at least 2 or 3 against a diabolical Fulham side, and he should get something. but it's a closer call between him and a hopefully fit Hazard than it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

Hi there

Just wanted to say quickly that I have a survey on Internet addiction and Fantasy Football stickied to the main forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057926916

If you have some spare time, I'd very much appreciate if you could fill it out. There's much more detailed information on it contained in the link

Kind Regards

David

Advertisement