Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

SlickRic wrote: »
    You're pretty much spot on with this, but it's because we're missing a key component in our attack.

when Coutinho left, we lost a creative force, but Ox and Can covered for it as they could drive forward with the ball to open games up.

Ox got injured, and Can has left.

Keita was supposed to provide that drive, but has been a mixture of injured and failing to hit the ground running so to speak. basically, we don't have anybody to open up the game sufficiently to allow Salah, Mane and Firmino to work to their full potential.

it's also why we tried to get Fekir. another game breaker.

until Keita hits form, I don't think Liverpool are overly reliable for big hauls - certainly not as reliable as City. the catch to this is that I think any of the top 6 teams can hammer any of the dross at any given point, so from that point of view, if Liverpool have a good run of fixtures, it's a risk not having cover. it's even more risky due to high ownership of Liverpool assets.

i'll be captaining Salah this weekend because they're good enough to score at least 2 or 3 against a diabolical Fulham side, and he should get something. but it's a closer call between him and a hopefully fit Hazard than it could be.

Probably the best explanation I have seen why we are more pragmatic this season. We bought Van Dijk to help the defence, but lost Coutinho. The front three were playing well anyway so the loss of Coutinho didn't matter so much last season. Whatever anyone might think of Salah and Mane this season, Firmino has lost his form completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

claw wrote: »
    Firmino has lost his form completely.

Not to turn this into the Liverpool thread, but while this is certainly correct to a point, he has little or no room to work with. plus, because we are more pragmatic (more balls down the line from our full backs for Mane and Salah to chase down), he has less to work off.

it's not the same team as last season, and won't be, until someone steps up and breaks the game up from midfield.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Not to turn this into the Liverpool thread, but while this is certainly correct to a point, he has little or no room to work with. plus, because we are more pragmatic (more balls down the line from our full backs for Mane and Salah to chase down), he has less to work off.

it's not the same team as last season, and won't be, until someone steps up and breaks the game up from midfield.

Not sure I want us to be the same team as last season, happy enough to be a lot more resilient away from home, just doesn't make it any easier from a FF point of view :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

spock. wrote: »
    Bournemouth for me

Same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The Maddison news and the impending price rises means I might need to revisit my original strategy

I really want Richarlison but am 0.1 short.

Thinking of Maddison to Gudmunsson, decent fixtures and stop losing value

Then next week Salah and Hoijberg to Richy and Mane.

Like many on here I dont think Salah is worth the extra over Mane and coming into Christmas I think a good squad is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can get this team with no hits over the next few weeks

Ryan
    Alonso Mendy Doherty
    Hazard Sterling Mane Ricky
    Aguero Arnie Ings

Hamer Schindler Obiang AWB

Means sacrificing Ederson Robertson and Salah. Worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Can get this team with no hits over the next few weeks

Ryan
    Alonso Mendy Doherty
    Hazard Sterling Mane Ricky
    Aguero Arnie Ings

Hamer Balbuena Obiang AWB

Means sacrificing Ederson Robertson and Salah. Worth it?

Looks good. One thing to keep in mind is that Ryans fixtures over the Christmas/New Year period are not very nice so clean sheet points might be scarce enough for him.

One other thing to consider (I'm just playing devil's advocate here) is what if Salah becomes a must have & you have to get him back in. Who do you drop from the midfield big hitters & how do you raise the extra funds (~2mil difference between Haz/Sterling/Aguero & Salah, and ~3mil in the case of Mane).

Looks good. One thing to keep in mind is that Ryans fixtures over the Christmas/New Year period are not very nice so clean sheet points might be scarce enough for him.

One other thing to consider (I'm just playing devil's advocate here) is what if Salah becomes a must have & you have to get him back in. Who do you drop from the midfield big hitters & how do you raise the extra funds (~2mil difference between Haz/Sterling/Aguero & Salah, and ~3mil in the case of Mane).

I'm hoping I'll have enough itb to upgrade Hamer to Lossl, he rotates well enough with Ryan. Mane and Sterling could become Salah and a cheap mid if needs be. Not totally sold on getting rid of Salah yet but really want Sterling without selling Aguero so something has to give. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What a year this would be for a cheap defence. Awb, bennett, balbuena, dunk, dummet, femenia, doherty, digne, cedric. In any other year id be going 5 cheapies. Are we missing a trick here. Of course you can look at the returns of RAM and say no way but with 5 cheapies you only play 3 and can target fixtures whereas with RAM you play them every week. You would also be giving yourself an extra 6-7 million. I dont think it was an issue a while ago but now we seem to have a few more big hitters firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What a year this would be for a cheap defence. Awb, bennett, balbuena, dunk, dummet, femenia, doherty, digne, cedric. In any other year id be going 5 cheapies. Are we missing a trick here. Of course you can look at the returns of RAM and say no way but with 5 cheapies you only play 3 and can target fixtures whereas with RAM you play them every week. You would also be giving yourself an extra 6-7 million. I dont think it was an issue a while ago but now we seem to have a few more big hitters firing.

ABBDDFDDC just doesn't have the same ring to it as TRAM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I made this argument last week. Over five weeks my five cheapies outscored RAM (60-57). Now that did include attacking returns from Doherty but he looks like he could do that.
    I’ve Doherty, Bennett, Balbeano, Duffy and AWB, for the five weeks above I had Rico instead of Balbeuna. Yedlin would be another I’d look at.
    It gives you so much more flexibility further up the pitch.
    Even if I had a WC I wouldn’t switch, this is the happiest I’ve been with my team in a long while.
    Mane/Hazard/Sterling/Ricky/Firmino/Aguero/Arnie

Plan is Firmino out for Martial next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think it was Green&Red that had did 5/6 weeks or TRAM v cheapies and the cheapies I think were coming out on top.

The way I see it with TRAM is that, your paying a premium for them because of their attacking abilities right? but I think many people are forgetting this when your getting 2/3 cleans sheets and thinking it's great all aboard the TRAM. Robinson for example I think only has 2 assist and no goals, Where as Duffy has 2 goals and 2 assists and is 1.5m cheaper I think (don't have access to FF atm). The same goes with the other big hitters - take the first week or two out and have they produced the returns that they should be for the cost that they are in comparison to their cheaper teammate who also gets the CS. You could probably save 2/3m by going with their cheaper team mates, or as you say 6/7m if you go with the all out cheap defense.

Would you take 4/5 bargain basement defenders for 7 of the following of Salah, Hazard, Marital, Sterling, Aguero, Arnie, Morata, Richardlison, Fraser, Anderson etc. Depending on your opinion of the Salah/Mane situation you could downgrade Salah, and keep one of the premium defenders.

Obviously that was only over four weeks and RAM will out preform cheapies over the season but u can gain elsewhere

Green&Red wrote: »
    I made this argument last week. Over five weeks my five cheapies outscored RAM (60-57). Now that did include attacking returns from Doherty but he looks like he could do that.
    I’ve Doherty, Bennett, Balbeano, Duffy and AWB, for the five weeks above I had Rico instead of Balbeuna. Yedlin would be another I’d look at.
    It gives you so much more flexibility further up the pitch.
    Even if I had a WC I wouldn’t switch, this is the happiest I’ve been with my team in a long while.
    Mane/Hazard/Sterling/Ricky/Firmino/Aguero/Arnie

Plan is Firmino out for Martial next week

Do you have a cheap goalkeeeper too?

Obviously that was only over four weeks and RAM will out preform cheapies over the season but u can gain elsewhere

If you look at it as 4 cheapies v TRAM then TRAM probably will outscore them over the season, but if you view it as 4 cheapies + 7 premium players v TRAM + 4/5 premium + 2/3 average players. I'd say it would be a lot closer and the cheapie option could beat them.

Do you have a cheap goalkeeeper too?

Hart and Foster. I’m happy with neither and it’s a struggle but my total GK score for the year is 47, so other than Ederson, it’s a respectable score. If I had a WC I’d probably risk Leno in the hopes they’ll tighten up and couple him with a 4m

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If you look at it as 4 cheapies v TRAM then TRAM probably will outscore them over the season, but if you view it as 4 cheapies + 7 premium players v TRAM + 4/5 premium + 2/3 average players. I'd say it would be a lot closer and the cheapie option could beat them.

Introducing Trippier really muddies the waters because then you’re changing formation and it’s so hard to compare. I guess there’s so many ways to play, Mark from FFS has no premium forwards. Someone on here said during the week that everyone should definitely have Alonso. I can see the logic in my strategy

Introducing Trippier really muddies the waters because then you’re changing formation and it’s so hard to compare. I guess there’s so many ways to play, Mark from FFS has no premium forwards. Someone on here said during the week that everyone should definitely have Alonso. I can see the logic in my strategy

Im debating a switch to 4 cheapies and 1 premium. Apart from alonso there will be rotation up till new year for the other members of Tram and we can now see trends of what cheapies are playing for teams that can defend. I dont see alonso as a must have I think he has overachieved so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Am I mad to be thinking of using free hit chip? Already used my ft, and now have Maddison injured and Ricky and Robbo doubtful. Bench options very poor. Also don't have Salah or Mane who I could get in on the fh

manual_man wrote: »
    Am I mad to be thinking of using free hit chip? Already used my ft, and now have Maddison injured and Ricky and Robbo doubtful. Bench options very poor. Also don't have Salah or Mane who I could get in on the fh

Its not a bad idea in your situation.

• Advertisement

Its not a bad idea in your situation.

quick effort:

McCarthy
    Alonso Robbo Fernandez
    Mane Salah Hazard Ozil Murphy
    Arnie Morata

bench: Lossl, Femenia, AWB, Kamara

quick effort:

McCarthy
    Alonso Robbo Fernandez
    Mane Salah Hazard Ozil Murphy
    Arnie Morata

bench: Lossl, Femenia, AWB, Kamara

You're rationale for doing the FH is that Robbo is a doubt but then you're putting him in?
    Peltier would be on my FH team, 3.8m

You're rationale for doing the FH is that Robbo is a doubt but then you're putting him in?
    Peltier would be on my FH team, 3.8m

Actually just took him out and replaced him with VVD, then upgrading McCarthy to Leno. Could do AWB to Peltier and Kamara to Success also. Very tempted to hit the button

Hart and Foster. I’m happy with neither and it’s a struggle but my total GK score for the year is 47, so other than Ederson, it’s a respectable score. If I had a WC I’d probably risk Leno in the hopes they’ll tighten up and couple him with a 4m

Tried to make this up as a team with 5 cheap defenders but with Ederson in goal:

Ederson Hamer
    Wan-Bissaka Bennett Dummett Duffy Zabaleta
    Mane Sterling Hazard Martial Richarlison
    Arnautovic Wilson Aguero

I am 0.8 away from that but I have never had Hazard or Wilson so I imagine if people had them from the start they wouldn't be far away from being able to afford that team!

Just noticed that the Salah Aguero h/a captaincy rotation ends in GW13. And Hazard is away as well.

Hazard - Spurs (a)
    Salah - Watford (a)
    Aguero - West Ham (a)

Ricky at home to Cardiff that week could be a good punt. Or Doherty home to Huddersfield.

Tried to make this up as a team with 5 cheap defenders but with Ederson in goal:

Ederson Hamer
    Wan-Bissaka Bennett Dummett Duffy Zabaleta
    Mane Sterling Hazard Martial Richarlison
    Arnautovic Wilson Aguero

I am 0.8 away from that but I have never had Hazard or Wilson so I imagine if people had them from the start they wouldn't be far away from being able to afford that team!

I think when I looked at it I could get

Fab, Speroni
    Wan-Bissake, Kelly, Bennett, Schindler, Kiko Femenia
    Hazard, Salah, Marital, Fraser, Sterling
    Aguero, Morata, Quaner

Now could downgrade Morata to Arnie and that would give funds for a better third striker, but then have the who to bench problem every week where as having Quaner takes that out.

Feck it. Free hit activated. I'm on this:

Leno(Lossl)
    Alonso VVD Fernandez(Femenia Peltier)
    Salah(C) Mane Hazard Ozil Murphy
    Arnie Morata(Success)

If anyone can think of anything better, i'm open to suggestions. All funds used

Feck it. Free hit activated. I'm on this:

Leno(Lossl)
    Alonso VVD Fernandez(Femenia Peltier)
    Salah(C) Mane Hazard Ozil Murphy
    Arnie Morata(Success)

If anyone can think of anything better, i'm open to suggestions. All funds used

Alisson and chilwell for leno and VVD. Id also try fit in aguero over morata probably with an ozil downgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Gray (5.4m) could be a decent shout in a free hit team this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Bit of a predicament, should I go with Ryan (Car away) or Fab (Hud away) this weekend?

Advertisement