Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think it's him or Mitro alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughtb4 wrote: »

United are god awful at the back
    And pretty much everywhere else too! I fancy Mitrovic to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

km79 wrote: »
    naughtb4 wrote: »

United are god awful at the back
    And pretty much everywhere else too! I fancy Mitrovic to score

Whoops forgot about the need for three defenders .... Look like Alonso is in, double wolves or Wan B isn't palatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Last decision on my wildcard. Would you go:

A) Kolasinac + Vertonghen (until Trippier's status is cleared up, reverting to him as soon as it is)

B) Bellerin + Digne and £0.7m in the bank to upgrade the defense as and when

I'm leaning towards A as I want Tottenham defensive coverage and while Digne is going to haul soon, he does have Spurs and Manchester City in 2 of his next 3.

However, Bellerin is far more nailed on than Kolasinac. But Vertonghen will have to play against Barcelona midweek and could well be rested for BUR as Pochettino probably won't risk him 3 games in a week coming back from injury.

Decisions, decisions.

Why did Trippier have to go and get injured again! :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Paully D wrote: »
    Last decision on my wildcard. Would you go:

A) Kolasinac + Vertonghen (until Trippier's status is cleared up, reverting to him as soon as it is)

B) Bellerin + Digne and £0.7m in the bank to upgrade the defense as and when

I'm leaning towards A as I want Tottenham defensive coverage and while Digne is going to haul soon, he does have Spurs and Manchester City in 2 of his next 3.

However, Bellerin is far more nailed on than Kolasinac. But Vertonghen will have to play against Barcelona midweek and could well be rested for BUR as Pochettino probably won't risk him 3 games in a week coming back from injury.

Decisions, decisions.

Why did Trippier have to go and get injured again! :rolleyes::pac:

Who is your keeper could you get Lloris as your keeper and your spurs coverage. Id keep digne ive had him weeks and week in week out he is so close to assists. Ive also got kolasanic now. Just checked in wildcard thread. Id go lloris over fabianski and balbuena instead of your spurs defender. Saves you money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who is your keeper could you get Lloris as your keeper and your spurs coverage. Id keep digne ive had him weeks and week in week out he is so close to assists. Ive also got kolasanic now.

Fabianski is my goalkeeper and I'm pretty happy to leave him there with his fixtures to be honest.

Defense I'm looking at is:

1) Robertson Vertonghen Kolasinac (Wan-Bissaka, Bennett)

2) Robertson Digne Bellerin (Wan-Bissaka, Bennett) + £0.7m banked

3) Robertson Digne Kolasinac (Wan-Bissaka, Bennett) + £1.2m banked

I like the two cheapie sub defenders system as it saves me selection headache and benched clean sheet heartache, while they have enough to slot in if needed and in case of a horrible fixture from the 3 set and forgets.

I'm very happy with the rest of my squad so the spare cash is useless in terms of upgrading midfielders (Sterling, Sane, Richarlison, Fraser) or forwards (Kane, Aubameyang, Wilson).

Maybe option 3 would give me the flexibility to have Digne's great fixture this week, bench him for Bennett (BOU) or Wan-Bissaka (LEI) next week while he has City and I'll have a week's further info on Trippier?

You might get better feedback in the wild card thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Salah and Kane owners, who's your captain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Football Friend11

Current team

Fab

Alonso - Alexander Arnold - Doherty

Sterling - Richarlison - hazard - Anderson (v) - son

Chicartio - Lacazette (c)

Sub - Patricio - mitrovic - Bennett - wan bassaka

Any suggestions, Id like to get mitro in but not sure which midfielder to drop..maybe son? 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

-=al=- wrote: »
    Salah and Kane owners, who's your captain?

Aubameyang :)

I have Salah vc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FFS don't have Auba in their team for today. I don't ever remember them not having the most popular choice for Captain in their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Maybe this has been mentioned before but I noticed something with TAA (I've 5.4m for a def so thinking of buying him). He's been benched for 4 games (1 of them he came on as a sub). 3 of these were away against weaker teams - Huddersfield, Burnley and Brighton. The other was a Man City at home, but it was directly after Chelsea away. That could've been purely tactical with two big games back to back. Just might be worth noting a trend with Trent and perhaps "knowing" when he might be dropped again. Probably a decent time for me to buy as he's been benched twice in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Random coincidence of the week. Chelsea have kept a clean sheet every second game since gameweek 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Reading a few posts here and there about Salah and the inconsistency etc.

He's not expected to score a hat trick every week.

Since GW 10 is returns are:

2(Arsenal away)
    3(Everton home)
    4(Burnley away and rested. Played 25mins)

An average of 8.7 PPG. Of those games he blanked in the expected games really. A Derby game which is always close in recent years in terms of FPL and an Inform Arsenal team away.

So my question is. What the hell are people expecting from Salah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Reading a few posts here and there about Salah and the inconsistency etc.

He's not expected to score a hat trick every week.

Since GW 10 is returns are:

2(Arsenal away)
    3(Everton home)
    4(Burnley away and rested. Played 25mins)

An average of 8.7 PPG. Of those games he blanked in the expected games really. A Derby game which is always close in recent years in terms of FPL and an Inform Arsenal team away.

So my question is. What the hell are people expecting from Salah?

Why you picking GW10 what's his return for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Salah is now the highest scoring player in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seems nuts to be without him.

Why you picking GW10 what's his return for the season.

I picked GW10 as it's 7 Gameweeks and more than enough data based on current form. I'm not sure if you're being obtuse because you think I picked that GW to suit me but I didn't. GW9 he scored an 8 for reference.

As busts said he's now the highest scoring player in the game so that kind of mutes your point.

Most expensive player currently with most points. As stated previously the world cup hangover was the most likely cause for opening games. Same with Kane etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I picked GW10 as it's 7 Gameweeks and more than enough data based on current form. I'm not sure if you're being obtuse because you think I picked that GW to suit me but I didn't. GW9 he scored an 8 for reference.

As busts said he's now the highest scoring player in the game so that kind of mutes your point.

Most expensive player currently with most points. As stated previously the world cup hangover was the most likely cause for opening games. Same with Kane etc

The 21 skews things though. No one is selling him today. When people sold him during the week (me being one of them unfortunately) his recent form was 15,2,8,8,3,4 which is 6.67 ppgw. Obviously still a good return but for 13m people felt they could get better. The 21 shouldn't be included in the conversation when discussing people's decision to sell him prior to gw16.

But hes only just the highest scoring player in the league and he is alot more expensive .
    There is more value in the likes of Stelring thats 1.4 cheaper has played 3 games less than Salah and only 5 points off his tally. Taking into account Sterling games are far better than Salah who has hard games all the way to 12th of January .
    Even Hazard is 164 minutes played less than Salah and has a nice run of games till the 12th of January and he is only 8 points behind Salah and 2.1 cheaper.

All those players played more games in the World Cup aswell.
    Basically I am going with Sterling and Hazard and use the extra funds in the squad else where.

• Advertisement

But hes only just the highest scoring player in the league and he is alot more expensive .
    There is more value in the likes of Stelring thats 1.4 cheaper has played 3 games less than Salah and only 5 points off his tally. Taking into account Sterling games are far better than Salah who has hard games all the way to 12th of January .
    Even Hazard is 164 minutes played less than Salah and has a nice run of games till the 12th of January and he is only 8 points behind Salah and 2.1 cheaper.

All those players played more games in the World Cup aswell.
    Basically I am going with Sterling and Hazard and use the extra funds in the squad else where.

In relation to Sterling. Yeh of course it's a valid point that Sterling is cheaper and has better fixtures. But as you also stated he's played less games this isn't a good thing.

Salah hard games ?
    United at home Conceding every week.
    Wolves away conceding every week
    Newcastle at home
    Arsenal at home.
    City away

Of those games I can only see two difficult ones and that's Arsenal and City. So holding until Arsenal makes sense even people who sold prior to GW16

In relation to Sterling. Yeh of course it's a valid point that Sterling is cheaper and has better fixtures. But as you also stated he's played less games this isn't a good thing.

Salah hard games ?
    United at home Conceding every week.
    Wolves away conceding every week
    Newcastle at home
    Arsenal at home.
    City away

Of those games I can only see two difficult ones and that's Arsenal and City. So holding until Arsenal makes sense even people who sold prior to GW16

Newcastle is the only game id say would be easy . Sterling and Hazard have far better fixtures.
    I don't get the played less games .If anything he less likely to be rotated ,he is City best 11 and can't see him missing any games for a long while.

When downgrading Mendy, after his injury, I could afford any defender and even had money in the bank.

Was all over Doherty and was just about to buy him and then Johnny got injured so I took a punt on Vinagre.

So was I being too clever or am I just dumb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

When downgrading Mendy, after his injury, I could afford any defender and even had money in the bank.

Was all over Doherty and was just about to buy him and then Johnny got injured so I took a punt on Vinagre.

So was I being too clever or am I just dumb ?

Small bit too clever if you don't mind me saying, over-thinking it a bit. Doherty is very good going forward and Vinagre would only ever be a short-term punt while Jonny was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You were not alone though. I was surprised that so many were too keen to make the exact same move that week and flat out said I thought people were being too clever. I've also constantly disagreed with people who claimed they've missed the Doherty boat over the past few weeks.

MR NINE wrote: »
    The 21 skews things though. No one is selling him today. When people sold him during the week (me being one of them unfortunately) his recent form was 15,2,8,8,3,4 which is 6.67 ppgw. Obviously still a good return but for 13m people felt they could get better. The 21 shouldn't be included in the conversation when discussing people's decision to sell him prior to gw16.

Exactly this. The main point being - prior to GW16, he was not justifying his 13m price tag. He had been benched, he was not showing form of last year, and people felt they could upgrade elsewhere - i.e. Doherty in the backs or Auba up front.

I think keeping him for 15 weeks was more than enough time. I personally assessed his fixtures and thought I could go without him until January and then maybe bring him back on WC if his forms picks up. I picked a very wrong GW to do that! Now, I would still stand by the decision but this weekend is unfortunate for another reason; City losing. Liverpool are now top of the league. This could totally mean that Salah ups his game and we see a return of last year's form. Add to that if they get knocked out midweek! It's nervy times but I'm going to stick without him until January WC I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Exactly this. The main point being - prior to GW16, he was not justifying his 13m price tag. He had been benched, he was not showing form of last year, and people felt they could upgrade elsewhere - i.e. Doherty in the backs or Auba up front.

I think keeping him for 15 weeks was more than enough time. I personally assessed his fixtures and thought I could go without him until January and then maybe bring him back on WC if his forms picks up. I picked a very wrong GW to do that! Now, I would still stand by the decision but this weekend is unfortunate for another reason; City losing. Liverpool are now top of the league. This could totally mean that Salah ups his game and we see a return of last year's form. Add to that if they get knocked out midweek! It's nervy times but I'm going to stick without him until January WC I think.

Almost everything there I agree with.
    I agree that Liverpool are improving which helps Salah but going without him because you'll WC in January to get him in is not worth serious weight. 2 or 3 transfers gets him back.

It was a perfect storm last week for the reds. Bournemouth were missing Wilson and a few central midfielders. They always try and play so their high defensive line played to Salah's strengths.

How likely are you to captain him is the main issue.
    Here's a thread with some basic stats that was posted by a FFS member.
    We also have Kane and Auba to add to the mix.

https://twitter.com/KaramTayser/status/1071771101674565632?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I think the problem with Mendy is that he was a premium defender, unless you were upgrading elsewhere, he was filling that premium slot and I guess maybe it felt like a downgrade getting Doherty, especially if you already had Bennett or Patricio.

As for the Salah sellers, it's prob tough to take. but he wasn't really warranting the price. But from almost every game or highlights I saw, he could easily get double digits. It just wasn't coming off so I was happy to keep. The fixture against Bournemouth was the perfect storm for a Salah captaincy. He was rested, quick gw, Wilson out and injuries for Bournemouth along with their attacking style of play. Firmino slightly off form and Mane out so he was likely to be put up top too.

While managing to keep Salah, and ended up selling Hazard for Sterling when Aguero got injured bringing in Kane. It let me nail the Kane c last week and Salah c this week and it worked a treat. They will alternate captaincy for a few gw's (depending on midweek etc) With Auba having a juicy fixture, and Kane doing so well, selling Salah was a option for most to get them lads in. The logic makes sense but just didn't come off

I figure Sane in for Hazard is ok as I won't captain Hazard or Sane with Sterling, Salah and Kane on my team. The Sane/Hazard slot can possibly match while playing the fixtures and alternating the Salah/Kane/Sterling captaincy

ElTel wrote: »
    Almost everything there I agree with.
    I agree that Liverpool are improving which helps Salah but going without him because you'll WC in January to get him in is not worth serious weight. 2 or 3 transfers gets him back.

It was a perfect storm last week for the reds. Bournemouth were missing Wilson and a few central midfielders. They always try and play so their high defensive line played to Salah's strengths.

How likely are you to captain him is the main issue.
    Here's a thread with some basic stats that was posted by a FFS member.
    We also have Kane and Auba to add to the mix.

https://twitter.com/KaramTayser/status/1071771101674565632?s=19

Thanks, good read. His conclusion is actually the same as me:

"I believe that Hazard or Sterling+2M looks to be the better move for the next 5GWs considering the fact that they have better fixtures and potentially better captaincy options.
    I may ditch him but I am definitely considering having him again from GW22 onward."

There's better captain picks for GW18, however Liverpool at home to Newcastle GW19 will be horrible without Salah.

You say "its only 2 or 3 transfers gets him back", what if there are other pressing concerns with someones team? Would involve a hit most likely too, which I'm prone to but would like to avoid. The only players I could drop to get Salah back in is either Alonso, Kane or Auba. With their fixtures, I won't drop the first two. If Salah looks like a must have over the next few GWs, then MAYBE I would consider transferring out Auba to make way for him.

Edit: also found this tweet. handy to know. and this was one of the main factors for transferring out Salah...to me it didn't look like he'd do much damage given his upcoming fixtures...and why I opted for Auba over him.

"Top 5 worse defences based on xG against

Fulham 33.34
    Burnley 33.09
    Brighton 27.45
    Cardiff 26.03
    Southampton 25.81

Arsenal play 4 of above in next 5, Chelsea 2, Spurs 2, City 1 & Utd 1. Liverpool face none of the above"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Re Salah, there seemed to be logic to sell him last week. Particularly after Kane looked like he was starting to pick up form and many were without him. I do agree with poster who mentioned that it seemed only a matter of time before the goals rolled in. He'd been looking far sharper lately and his xg was higher than his actual output.

It's a strange situation now that I would say if you don't have him it's probably not worth bringing him back in (particularly if you just got rid, you have to stick with your decision which was presumably made taking into account the next 5 GWs or so, and a big haul shouldn't kneejerk a change of mind), but if you do have him it would seem crazy to sell after a 21 point haul, despite the somewhat unfavourable fixtures.

It's a great season I have to say, where you can have the highest points scorer and most valuable player in the game not included in a significant percentage of good players' teams. Makes it so much more interesting.

Bg differentials every week. Maybe we'll gravitate towards a template again in a few weeks, but for the moment every team is without one of the big hitters, and then even the premium defenders of Robbo and Alonso who seemed untouchable have had to make their exit to fund some of the big boys, creating further differentials.

Advertisement