Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Start one of Keane, Hojberg or Snodgrass? On Snodgrass atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Poch asked about Llorente

Will you be giving Fernando Llorente a start on Sunday?

I think it's normal that we are thinking to give him the possibility to start on Sunday. Of course it's in my mind. I've still not decided the starting XI, but it's one of the possibilities that we have in mind.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/fixtures-results/pochettino-rossi-transfer-kane-dembele-15698742

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

Hi all - possibly a bit off-topic here but thought it was worth a mention as I find it quite interesting,

Reading through posts here, in the Weekly Transfer threads and elsewhere, I'm always amazed by how reluctant people are to 'spend' points on transfers. So many people seem to say things like "I would love to buy x or y...but can't afford the -4 or -8", etc....even when it was a blindingly obvious move like getting Salah, Pogba, Rashford, Robertson, VVD, Doherty, Digne etc in just before they hit a hot streak.

As is surely the case with the majority of players, I try to do a lot of research, watch games/highlights and follow hunches in the hope of striking gold but there are some trends that just can't be ignored and you have to act or you risk getting left behind.

I always hate to spend points on transfers and used to consider myself cautious but I now know that lots of people would never even consider it! As reluctant as I was to do it, I had to go for a mini overhaul in November to get Salah in and it cost me -12 or -16, can't remember, but it more than paid for itself within two weeks. Other -4s here and there haven't worked out hut that's a different story...!

I couldn't help but notice that one of the top gameweek players in one of the dodgy Christmas fixture rounds got 100+ when the average was around 40. I checked his team and he'd done a major overhaul that week at a cost of -28 or something but did it to buy in three Man Utd players and a couple of others who all scored big in that gameweek. Huge penalty points but more than worthwhile - a very ballsy move and he deserved his rewards.

What do others think? Do you always err on the side of caution or have you ever gone for crazy 'penalty point' transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Hi all - possibly a bit off-topic here but thought it was worth a mention as I find it quite interesting,

Reading through posts here, in the Weekly Transfer threads and elsewhere, I'm always amazed by how reluctant people are to 'spend' points on transfers. So many people seem to say things like "I would love to buy x or y...but can't afford the -4 or -8", etc....even when it was a blindingly obvious move like getting Salah, Pogba, Rashford, Robertson, VVD, Doherty, Digne etc in just before they hit a hot streak.

As is surely the case with the majority of players, I try to do a lot of research, watch games/highlights and follow hunches in the hope of striking gold but there are some trends that just can't be ignored and you have to act or you risk getting left behind.

I always hate to spend points on transfers and used to consider myself cautious but I now know that lots of people would never even consider it! As reluctant as I was to do it, I had to go for a mini overhaul in November to get Salah in and it cost me -12 or -16, can't remember, but it more than paid for itself within two weeks. Other -4s here and there haven't worked out hut that's a different story...!

I couldn't help but notice that one of the top gameweek players in one of the dodgy Christmas fixture rounds got 100+ when the average was around 40. I checked his team and he'd done a major overhaul that week at a cost of -28 or something but did it to buy in three Man Utd players and a couple of others who all scored big in that gameweek. Huge penalty points but more than worthwhile - a very ballsy move and he deserved his rewards.

What do others think? Do you always err on the side of caution or have you ever gone for crazy 'penalty point' transfers?
    For every Pogba, Robertson, Digne, Doherty, there's a lot of Manes, Lucas, Neves, Kantes, Pedros, Torreiras, and (shudders) Barkleys. I

The game is easy in hindsight, but knowing when to foloow a hunch and when to ignore it is the skill/luck of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Need to start two of TAA, Digne and Jimenez. Could just start TAA and Digne could sub in but hate benching Digne after missing out on his big haul at Christmas. Doherty and Robertson are my other two defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Just start TAA and Doherty. Jiminez sub 1

Good chance Trent won't start, but you never know.

As for transfers, I'm usually quite aggressive at the start for the hits and points but chill out a bit as it goes on.Value pretty important too. I've pulled off a -8 at 5k earlier on in the season and managed a green so sometimes you gota just go with it and trust yourself. Sometimes the prices dictate transfers too but it's about knowing when to take the hits, and not.

I never bother with the top weekly rank scorers as they're usually pure luck anomalies

Also the Neves, Kantes, Pedros, Torreiras, and Barkleys are mostly cms/dms. Perfect bandwagon trap players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd never do anything as drastic as take a -16 but I would take -4 fairly regularly and the very rare -8 to get the players I want and I feel they will cover the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭scotchy

Have taken a -12 for this week, much happier with my team now.

Will be interesting to see how I fare. Already about 0.5 Mil better off in value than if I had stuck with old team.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Have a monthly pontoon in work, one of the lads is bottom of the janurary table.....

He's made 29 transfers this week alone before a ball has been kicked lol, cracked us up, to be fair to the lad he's won a month and lost december by 2 points. Already planning for feburary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky saying Fulham and Chelsea have reached agreement for the transfer of Gary Cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

scotchy wrote: »

Will be interesting to see how I fare. Already about 0.5 Mil better off in value than if I had stuck with old team.

I'm hovering over a -12 and considering bb to cover it.

Hamer-->etheridge
    Lovren-->jonny
    Arnie-->rashford
    Zaha-->Chicarito

Would set me up with

Fab etheridge
    Robbo digne holebas awb jonny
    Salah sane sterling Ricky pogba
    Jimenez Chicarito rashford

I've been cautious all year sitting at 60k I'm really tempted but think I will sleep on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

scotchy wrote: »

Hamer-->etheridge
    Lovren-->jonny
    Arnie-->rashford
    Zaha-->Chicarito

Would set me up with

Fab etheridge

I've been cautious all year sitting at 60k I'm really tempted but think I will sleep on it
    Two of those are madness, ethridge in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dearg81 wrote: »
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    [TBC Keeper] - Currently Guaita

Shaw, Robbo, Digne, Doherty

Salah, Hazard, Pogba, Dela/Richy

Jiminez, Rashford

Dela/Richy, Hamer, Wan B, Kamara

Good team, it's close but I think I'd play Deulofeu over Digne this week, I dont see a clean sheet for Everton and Deulofeu has a better chance of attacking returns playing upfront, he's been unlucky lately.
    I feel it's a good team every week but it's a slow slide down the rankings:)

I think I'll go delafeou over Richy. Feel like Digne is as likely for attacking returns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Schmeichel
    Alonso luiz Bennett
    Hazard Salah pogba b-silva
    Rashford giminez

Top heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Have a monthly pontoon in work, one of the lads is bottom of the janurary table.....

He's made 29 transfers this week alone before a ball has been kicked lol, cracked us up, to be fair to the lad he's won a month and lost december by 2 points. Already planning for feburary

Haha, holy Jesus! I hope he was on a WC this week. A bit extreme otherwise! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Haha, holy Jesus! I hope he was on a WC this week. A bit extreme otherwise! :pac:

Canny really, prepping for Feb as he is already out of the running for Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Hamer-->etheridge
    Lovren-->jonny
    Arnie-->rashford
    Zaha-->Chicarito

Would set me up with

Fab etheridge

Bottled it lovren and arnie to rashford and jonny for a -4 done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone able to tell me the correlation between Net Transfers and Selected By?

I always thought if a player is owned by 20,000 and in the next week, 3,000 buy him and 500 sell him, then the next week...
    Net Transfers would be 2,500
    Teams Selected by would be 22,500

Having a look at Nasri for example, he obviously came into the game and had 0 Net Transfers and 0 Selected By.
    End of his first GW, Net Transfers = 9973; Selected by = 10571

Any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Shedite27 wrote: »

I always thought if a player is owned by 20,000 and in the next week, 3,000 buy him and 500 sell him, then the next week...

Having a look at Nasri for example, he obviously came into the game and had 0 Net Transfers and 0 Selected By.

Any idea?

At a guess, if you set up a new team from scratch, and select him, perhaps it's not treated as at transfer in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Shedite27 wrote: »

Any idea?

Guessing either those 500 odd transferred him back out after 1 week or wildcards don’t count, but no idea which

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wildcards and new teams don't count in Net Transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any point in bringing Sane in now or has the boat been missed with their upcoming fixtures and Mendy’s pending reintroduction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Mendy would stop me bringing him in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

On January 1st I made a -8 move

Sane --> Hazard
    Son ---> Pogba
    Rashford ----> Jimenez

In the gameweeks since that move, there was a 46 point swing. I knew there was a risk but didn't expect it to be anything of that sort. My main rival in a ML is 45 points ahead and sits in 4.4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

why does everyone think Mendy will affect Sane's gametime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭Invincible

Paully D wrote: »
    Any point in bringing Sane in now or has the boat been missed with their upcoming fixtures and Mendy’s pending reintroduction?

In in the sane boat as you, was going to swap for D.silva, but with memories of Mendy's early form stopping me.

Going by previous formation when Mendy was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I wouldn't be swapping Sane at all. He is defintiely going to be playing more, City have a nice rhythm and can't see Pep changing too much. More than enough cover for Mendy & defensively & disciplinary wise Mendy doesn't deserve to auto go back into team

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Because delph and danilo are right footed when playing LB. To play mahrez or sterling ahead of either makes city a bit more predictable as they dont have a left footer on the left hand side. When mendy plays he offers that so sane isnt as essential to their set up.

• Advertisement

Because delph and danilo are right footed when playing LB. To play mahrez or sterling ahead of either makes city a bit more predictable as they dont have a left footer on the left hand side. When mendy plays he offers that so sane isnt as essential to their set up.

Well said, there's the tactical reason!

Advertisement