Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Are the guys that were tempted to use their BB in GW 1 still firing ahead with that strategy ?

I think I'm going to give it a go this year, it's a bit of a risk but my bench boost last year was a bit of a disaster and it also effected my transfers on the couple of weeks leading up to it.
    My main decision now is to risk going without Salah for the first couple of weeks

I think I'm going to give it a go this year, it's a bit of a risk but my bench boost last year was a bit of a disaster and it also effected my transfers on the couple of weeks leading up to it.
    My main decision now is to risk going without Salah for the first couple of weeks

I thought long and hard about going without Salah. Not just for the craic but was really really tempted.

All things considered it’s just not worth it. Ownership too high. Double the punishment as he’ll be heavily captained. Likelihood is he’ll not drop off a cliff re performance and scores.

Would be a horribly long season to start off playing catch-up.

It’s just not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Interesting option now for sure

I am also getting tempted by TAA instead of Shaw
    If I have him Cedric and wan bisakka though I could end up in trouble game week 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Thought u meant the FPL Transfer window there for a moment!

Thought u meant the FPL Transfer window there for a moment!
    Don’t be silly
    That’s 2pm Saturday

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Yeah. So so hard not to have 3 City players with the opposition they’ll be facing between GW’s 2 and 7.

Also so so hard to pick one attacker, outside of KDB, that will start even 5 of them.

Wish I had the balls to just go without City attackers. It’s such a gamble even trying to pick one. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'll be going with Aguero to start with, and then moving to KDB or David Silva when they're back and firing again.

Already have Mendy in there as well (although I also have Ederson in goal so maybe that's dodgy).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

BB GW1 I think is still a risk as we can't be sure on lineups and we have a lot of unknowns in general.

The idea of using before DGW I understand, but I'm thinking soon after an early-ish WC might be the best time.

I usually end up WCing around GW7 or so. I don't have any set plan and I'll hang on as long as I reasonably can, but usually around this time you have a lot more known quantities in terms of things like:

- Who are the must-have premium attackers?
    - Which smaller teams are showing they can keep clean sheets?
    - Who is / isn't a rotation risk?
    - Is team X predominantly an attacking team or a defensive team?

I then fully intend to go with 15 regulars for my WC. Happy to have a non-playing GK starting off, but I do think a well-rounded squad for WC can save a lot of headaches.

Then hopefully there's a week soon after where my bench have reasonable fixtures (or I have a genuine selection dilemma) and everyone is fit.

BB GW1 just seems an unnecessary risk and big commitment. You're committing to an early-WC, and while I'm a fan of an early WC in general, I do think it's worth giving your team the chance not to use it until later on (i.e. back your starting team to potentially still be strong 5 GWs in after a few FTs).

WC is gold dust so throwing it away after one GW is a poor strategy imo, just to try to make something decent out of BB.

• Advertisement

Yeah. So so hard not to have 3 City players with the opposition they’ll be facing between GW’s 2 and 7.

Also so so hard to pick one attacker, outside of KDB, that will start even 5 of them.

Wish I had the balls to just go without City attackers. It’s such a gamble even trying to pick one. Ridiculous.

if i had to pick 3 City mids that will feature the most - my guess would be KDB/Silva/Mahrez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Actually logged in to ask a question about the GW1 Bench Boost as well :pac:

Was thinking about it there on my lunchtime run and would be grateful if someone could outline the rationale behind it?

I'm only playing FPL seriously myself for 3 years but a GW1 BB seems very risky imho - there's a lot of moving parts with post World Cup shenanigans, new managers, new signings, new formations, players unsettled, promoted teams etc.

Saw a stat of Twitter recently that something like 42 of the top 50 last year played their BB in the big double gameweeks. There's no doubt that some points may be sacrificed in building a DGW squad for a BB but it's been a major success for me in the last 2 years.

I can see the logic maybe of an early BB after an early-ish wildcard but it seems a waste to use it in GW1.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it....I'm in a few money leagues this year so willing to take all advice on board.

Edit: I see Morzadec wrote a far more eloquent and detailed post along the same lines as me

Excellent

I’d be wary of owning sane now

Excellent

Excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

km79 wrote: »
    Excellent

Me too, I'd rather go with Mané at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Excellent

As much as it's good to know such things, coming straight from the manager himself. It's now just a pure guessing game regards Citys mids. I can see Guardiola going over and back between 3 and 4 at the back all season and even during games now. Sane in a 4-3-3 was potential gold imo. Now, could Sane start playing more centrally at times alongside Aguero/Jesus in a 2 man front line? Could he be used at wing back when Mendy is rested or subbed out to use Sane as a more offensive wing back?

The whole thing is one giant head f*ck again with City! Love Mendy as a player myself, so it's probably good news in that regard. It's a disaster for their midfielders though. It could end up being good news yet for the City striker selections though as there is obviously now a far greater chance of Jesus and Aguero lining up alongside one another in a 3-5-2 system.

Oh for the glory days in football, where only about 12/13 players were used in an entire league campaign back in the day :P

Excellent

Was looking for a reason to drop him for Mahrez. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

Why is Mahrez yellow flagged on the site?

claw wrote: »
    Why is Mahrez yellow flagged on the site?

Came off injured in last friendly. Pep said today he should be ok to play this weekend. Flags sometimes take a while to change or don't change while there still is a little doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It’ll be interesting and I looked at it but I can’t get 15 without having clashes with attackers v’s defenders.

No point BB in first GW if 2-3 attackers are up against 2-3 of your defenders.

The real appeal is to get that chip gone so you don’t have a headbusting preperation to find 15 starters for a DGW. Being able to focus on 11 starters for a DGW sounds like bliss.

I'm BB GW1 and I currently have only 2 clashses. Fabianski V Liverpool and Wan-B V Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Pondering over a 6m midfielder. Sounds a bit mad but I'm looking at Fernandinho. A surprising 5 goals and 4 assists last season. Better returns than Mooy, who a lot of people have. Someone talk me out of this....

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Pondering over a 6m midfielder. Sounds a bit mad but I'm looking at Fernandinho. A surprising 5 goals and 4 assists last season. Better returns than Mooy, who a lot of people have. Someone talk me out of this....

Gudmonnson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Are the guys that were tempted to use their BB in GW 1 still firing ahead with that strategy ?

Think so I'll decide after the weekends games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

sheroman01 wrote: »

I don't love the options at 6.0 to be honest. If there's any way you can squeeze 0.5 from somewhere then I then Pedro or Richarlison (or some of the new boys who look like they might be productive, Sessgnon or Jota) give you more than 0.5 in value over a 6.0 option imo.

I wouldn't waste a City spot on Fernandinho. His returns were okay last year but he is essentially a DM for City and not the type of player you want in FF. He may even be a rotation risk if City start playing 3 at the back (less need for a dedicated DM).

Of the 6.0 mids, I like Townsend the most. He's having a very productive pre-season. I'm not sure how the signing of Meyer effects him though. Meyer too is 6.0 if you fancy a punt but I know very little about him.

Ward-Prowse is another one at 5.5 perhaps worth considering, proven as a decent FF asset (will be on set-pieces) and having a good pre-season

Not mad about the options at 6.0, and I definitely think squeezing an extra 0.5 out of your defence to upgrade to 6.5 is worth it.

If not I'd consider going for a 5.0 mid as there seems to be some good value options there and using the 1.0 elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Morzadec wrote: »
    I don't love the options at 6.0 to be honest. If there's any way you can squeeze 0.5 from somewhere then I then Pedro or Richarlison (or some of the new boys who look like they might be productive, Sessgnon or Jota) give you more than 0.5 in value over a 6.0 option imo.

I wouldn't waste a City spot on Fernandinho. His returns were okay last year but he is essentially a DM for City and not the type of player you want in FF. He may even be a rotation risk if City start playing 3 at the back (less need for a dedicated DM).

Of the 6.0 mids, I like Townsend the most. He's having a very productive pre-season. I'm not sure how the signing of Meyer effects him though. Meyer too is 6.0 if you fancy a punt but I know very little about him.

Ward-Prowse is another one at 5.5 perhaps worth considering, proven as a decent FF asset (will be on set-pieces) and having a good pre-season

Not mad about the options at 6.0, and I definitely think squeezing an extra 0.5 out of your defence to upgrade to 6.5 is worth it.

If not I'd consider going for a 5.0 mid as there seems to be some good value options there and using the 1.0 elsewhere.

Ah Ward-Prowse

the f**king troll, every season he has a great pre-season, just like Redmond.

Stay clear

God damn it to hell
    Arnie not up front tonight ???????

Official twitter account reckoned it would be 442 with himself and chicharito up front but apparently not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'd be very surprised if he started ahead of Yarmalenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,151 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Didn't even think of that but have actually managed no Defenders V Attackers for GW1 BB:

Ederson (City V Arsenal)
    Foster (Watford V Brighton)

Coleman (Everton V Wolves)
    Roberston (Liverpool V West Ham)
    PVA (Palace V Fulham)
    Shaw (United V Leicester)
    Cedric (Southampton V Burnley)

Salah (Liverpool V West Ham)
    Sanchez (Palace V Fulham)
    Richarlison (Everton V Wolves)
    Barkley (Chelsea V Huddersfield)
    Delofeu (Watford V Brighton)

Firmino (Liverpool V West Ham)
    Austin (Southampton V Burnley)
    King (Bournemouth V Cardiff)

Not too pushed about CS's - well aware that the stats sugges tthere'll be very few in week 1. More worried in case Cedric/Austin/Barkely/Delofeu etc don't start and I'm left with 11 anyway

Cedric is unlikely to start in GW1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Joe Hart close to Burnley for 4m according to a few accounts on the Twitter Machine.

Advertisement