Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any interest in Ryan Fraser?

Excellent pre-season, great underlying numbers last season, only £5.5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Paully D wrote: »

Steering well clear of Bournemouth. That said, they could very well explode and Fraser/King would be the most likely to benefit. They're as close to a schizophrenic football team as you can imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Will he start Paully? Stanislas and Ibe also on the scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,151 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Will he start Paully? Stanislas and Ibe also on the scene

Stanislas is injured at the moment. Fraser and Ibe will start the season as the wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Regarding CBs passing and BPS, just looking again at how the BPS work and it's clear that accuracy (i.e. completed passes) is far more important than the total amount of passes:

70 to 79% pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) = 2
    80 to 89% pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) =4
    90%+ pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) . =6

30 passes is really nothing for a CB to complete in a team that will have the edge on possession. VVD / Otamendi were averaging around 90 per game for context.

So explains how someone like Phil Jones could hoover up BPS, even if not playing in a team totally dominating possession and not being a good passer. He'll play safe passes (pass success = 91.2%) to better ball players, and still comfortably pass the 30 pass minimum (47 average passes).

Probably quite a boring post, but as we do often see CBs take the BPS in 1-0 and 2-0 wins, it's something worth keeping in mind. If you're doing the eye-test, might be worth looking at the CB who is very conservative in their passes and who gives up responsibility to others to play forward / incisive passes.

TLDR: CBs who are not trusted on the ball for big teams and will play mostly very easy passes to either a deep-lying playmaker or a ball-playing centre-back partner are arguably favourable over the better ball playing CB for BPS.

Getting to 30 passes is a formality (even the likes of Duffy and Mee surpass this), so the pass accuracy of 90% + is what is key rather than a high volume of passes. VVD was just shy of the 90% figure on average last season.

• Advertisement

Stanislas is injured at the moment. Fraser and Ibe will start the season as the wingers.

Right you are Ted.

Hmmm, my interest is raised. Could almost squeeze my way into getting Firmino instead of Zaha if I bring in Fraser for Mkhi...

Morzadec wrote: »
    Regarding CBs passing and BPS, just looking again at how the BPS work and it's clear that accuracy (i.e. completed passes) is far more important than the total amount of passes:

70 to 79% pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) = 2
    80 to 89% pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) =4
    90%+ pass completion (at least 30 passes attempted) . =6

30 passes is really nothing for a CB to complete in a team that will have the edge on possession. VVD / Otamendi were averaging around 90 per game for context.

So explains how someone like Phil Jones could hoover up BPS, even if not playing in a team totally dominating possession and not being a good passer. He'll play safe passes (pass success = 91.2%) to better ball players, and still comfortably pass the 30 pass minimum (47 average passes).

Probably quite a boring post, but as we do often see CBs take the BPS in 1-0 and 2-0 wins, it's something worth keeping in mind. If you're doing the eye-test, might be worth looking at the CB who is very conservative in their passes and who gives up responsibility to others to play forward / incisive passes.

TLDR: CBs who are not trusted on the ball for big teams and will play mostly very easy passes to either a deep-lying playmaker or a ball-playing centre-back partner are arguably favourable over the better ball playing CB for BPS.

Getting to 30 passes is a formality (even the likes of Duffy and Mee surpass this), so the pass accuracy of 90% + is what is key rather than a high volume of passes. VVD was just shy of the 90% figure on average last season.

Good work Morzadec. Definitely something to keep in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I want to take the risk on a wolves striker for a while.

They only have two but I don't know whether to go with the new Mexican lad at 5.5 or last season's guy at 5.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,151 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I want to take the risk on a wolves striker for a while.

They only have two but I don't know whether to go with the new Mexican lad at 5.5 or last season's guy at 5.0

Jimenez 5.5 is first-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Harry Kane. Discuss.

Brutal record in August aside, if he was to start against Newcastle, or even come on with 20-25 mins, would you consider him.

Hard to believe in 13 fixtures, he hasn't scored in August. There's my answer, but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dear Jesus Moreno had risen from the ashes to start for almost a full strength pool team tonight
    The spectre of rotation still hovers over Robertson but not VVD
    Aaaggghhhh

km79 wrote: »
    Dear Jesus Moreno had risen from the ashes to start for almost a full strength pool team tonight
    The spectre of rotation still hovers over Robertson but not VVD
    Aaaggghhhh

Robbo is safe. If anything he's being rested because he's so important to the team (has played a lot of pre-season minutes too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Do people think David Luiz is worth the risk? For 5.5m I'd need a regular starter and I have visions of him being benched regularly in favour of Christensen.

Are there any good alternatives around the 5 to 5.5m mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

manual_man wrote: »
    Robbo is safe. If anything he's being rested because he's so important to the team (has played a lot of pre-season minutes too)

Would you have Robbo or Mendy?

Green&Red wrote: »

i have Robbo. Don't have Mendy (have Ederson though)

Green&Red wrote: »

0fc.gif

To expand, i'm just not sold on Mendy. Not sold on his nailed-ness. Not sold on his ability to stay injury-free. There's potential there, for sure, but for £6m i'd want to be confident he's starting every game. And i'm not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Has to be Robbo. I also don't trust Mendy to be nailed or be fit after a few weeks

To expand, i'm just not sold on Mendy. Not sold on his nailed-ness. Not sold on his ability to stay injury-free. There's potential there, for sure, but for £6m i'd want to be confident he's starting every game. And i'm not
    Grammar FFS
    Nailedon-ness

El festino wrote: »
    Harry Kane. Discuss.

Brutal record in August aside, if he was to start against Newcastle, or even come on with 20-25 mins, would you consider him.

Hard to believe in 13 fixtures, he hasn't scored in August. There's my answer, but...

I’m starting to think he will start against Newcastle and as I’ll want him almost immediately, I’m getting very tempted to include him for the off.

I’m not worried about his August record. His underlying numbers were superb last August and how he didn’t have at least 4 goals in that period is beyond me.

• Advertisement

I’m starting to think he will start against Newcastle and as I’ll want him almost immediately, I’m getting very tempted to include him for the off.

I’m not worried about his August record. His underlying numbers were superb last August and how he didn’t have at least 4 goals in that period is beyond me.

Stop, I don't want to listen to this. I'll drive myself mad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am now doubting everything
    I have both !

Well you can't have Salah and Kane, so I think its reasonable to start with Salah, just for the sheer f**king fear of what he can do, thats all thats driving me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Chelsea break keeper record

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/07/chelsea-agree-world-record-71m-fee-sign-athletic-bilbao-goalkeeperkepa/

Keep signs for Chelsea, that presumably means Courtois is gone but also Pickford and co will all be staying where they are

Mateo Kovacic also off to Chelsea as part of the Courtois deal

All bad news for FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Even aside from his August record I think Kane is a no no, the guy was absolutely sha*ged in the later stages of the World Cup, he has been carrying a team for 2 full seasons. Spurs had alot of players involved in the knock out stages and have not added any new players I will be avoiding them for a while.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Stop, I don't want to listen to this. I'll drive myself mad :(

Honestly, I think it could be a great shout getting him in from the off.

Even if he doesn’t start against Newcastle, he will likely get a run out and let’s be honest, within 2 or 3 weeks everyone is going to be scrambling to get him in.

It could really be a masterstroke getting ahead of the curve on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Sorry lads, I don’t usually like being overly critical on here, but committing 1/8th of your entire budget on a player who won’t start in GW1 is mad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

km79 wrote: »
    I am now doubting everything
    I have both !

I'm considering ditching Mendy now for a United defender after looking at DDG ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Jimenez 5.5 is first-choice.

6 goals 7 assists in 33 games last season.thats pretty poor in Portugal

Advertisement