Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,149 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Scoutcast is nothing without Mark imho. I have no problem with the rest of the lads, but he was always the leader, the driver and his absence is sorely lacking. Andy is a good player and I have huge time for Az.

The problem with FPL these days is that social media is full of people who have fancy sites and banners, but when you look at the advice and recommendations, many are not all that great. In some cases, it's simply being being copied. I'll name no names but a top TOP player used a term to describe a player at the start of the week when giving advice. By Friday, I heard the exact same phrase being applied to that player on 3 other FPL Twitter accounts, a website and a podcast.

I've completely narrowed my attention to four specific sources of information. I don't have the bandwidth to take in more - anyways, it just clouds judgement.

Yeah Mark was a great host of the show, he felt so natural in that role. I think he has too many other commitments now though so will only be making fleeting appearances on it. They are going to be rotating in a lot more guests this season as well so at least we'll see varying opinions. I also think Luke is so maverick on it, he wildcarded and didn't include Salah or Mané!

My first two seasons I finished top 6k. Those seasons I listened to podcasts a week late so not to be influenced.

Last season I listened to them as they came out - finished 163k.

This year I’ll be listening to them a week late again.

It’s no fun making hard decisions even harder by listening to people knee jerking to what’s just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

jimmii wrote: »
    Jonty usually covers a lot of the underlying stats. On ffs he has a popular table called goals imminent which highlights which players should have scored but haven't. Instead of looking purely at fpl points like a lot do he tends to delve a little deeper which is interesting.

I believe that's Xg and Xa sort of stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I believe that's Xg and Xa sort of stuff?

Yeah he was doing it before xg was cool though! That's obviously not all he covers but goals is obviously the thing that people really care about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seems a good few of us are kicking the WC down the road. It'll be my first year doing so iirc.

Foster (Speroni)
    Alonso, Mendy, Daniels (WanB, Peltier)
    Salah, Mane, Richarlison, Pedro, Pereyra
    Aguero, Lacazette (Quaner)

Foster, Daniels, Pereyra and Lacazette are the only 4 spots that I see changing. Going to see what happens with Lacazette over the next few GWs. A downgrade there will seriously affect the other changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Scoutcast is nothing without Mark imho. I have no problem with the rest of the lads, but he was always the leader, the driver and his absence is sorely lacking. Andy is a good player and I have huge time for Az.

The problem with FPL these days is that social media is full of people who have fancy sites and banners, but when you look at the advice and recommendations, many are not all that great. In some cases, it's simply being being copied. I'll name no names but a top TOP player used a term to describe a player at the start of the week when giving advice. By Friday, I heard the exact same phrase being applied to that player on 3 other FPL Twitter accounts, a website and a podcast.

I've completely narrowed my attention to four specific sources of information. I don't have the bandwidth to take in more - anyways, it just clouds judgement.

What four sources?

I started listening to always cheating this year, it’s enjoyable as the two lads are likeable. I always liked the scout cast cause it can give you a different view to your own.

Here is obviously the best source I use.

I’ll exclude last year which was an abomination but the previous 6 were all inside 170k, 3 inside 10k and once inside the 1k, in all the time I haven’t watched soccer at all, literally less than 10 games over the 7 years. So I’d rely on here to give me the eye test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Green&Red wrote: »
    What four sources?

I started listening to always cheating this year, it’s enjoyable as the two lads are likeable. I always liked the scout cast cause it can give you a different view to your own.

Here is obviously the best source I use.

I’ll exclude last year which was an abomination but the previous 6 were all inside 170k, 3 inside 10k and once inside the 1k, in all the time I haven’t watched soccer at all, literally less than 10 games over the 7 years. So I’d rely on here to give me the eye test

Really?? Do you mind me asking why, do you just not have any interest? What gives you the interest in FPL then?

Yeah. That’s mad green.

Don’t understand where you’d get the enjoyment in playing FPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Yeah. That’s mad green.

Don’t understand where you’d get the enjoyment in playing FPL.

Probably : the sight of the salty tears slowly tracking furrows down the mud encrusted faces of his vanquished foes as they realise that yet again 10 in 7 has bested them with his nonchalant devil may care attitude.

Or else: There's a few suckers in his mini leagues

Could be a mixture of the two ;)

Don't really know, I'd have very little interest in it. I followed Liverpool as a young buck and watched a bit of the champions league towards the end, keep up to date on whats happening but I just have no interest in actually watching it.

Went to Anfield for the first time in May (FPL prize) and was underwhelmed, in fairness it was 0-0 against stoke but I wouldn't thank you to go again. Swore I'd never go to another Ireland game after I saw Stephen Ireland score against slovakia/slovenia, bored me to tears. And I'd be a sports nut. If you gave me a choice between one all ireland for Mayo and Liverpool never winning a match again there'd only be one winner

Theres elements to the FPL that appeal to me, I'd be mathsy, so the stats side feeds that and I love gambling, so theres that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

I listen to scoutcast and the guys were a little slower off the pace without Mark but honestly I prefer it without him.

His voice was not one that would encourage me to keep listening. Added to the fact that when Az or Johnty would be coming up with some left field choices he'd be sucking his teeth and wringing his hands (in my minds eye anyway) saying well ... but well but ...

I used to listen to Always cheating but it's painful to have to keep on looking for the fast forward button when they're plugging the monetary side of their podcast yet again (very prevalent this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For a fixtures ticker. I always find its best to do your own. I prefer to have my own opinion on what is a good or bad fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I find myself doing worse after listening to the scout cast. Don’t bother with anything else apart from watching the games themselves that has worked out very well so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Here is my only resource, as well as watching for myself. Anything else would seem like a chore.

I only play in one small pay league with mates, purely because I don't want to take the enjoyment out of it by letting (too much potential) money into the equation.

Enjoyment comes from getting calls right... and wrong for me.

For a fixtures ticker. I always find its best to do your own. I prefer to have my own opinion on what is a good or bad fixture.

Yeah. I could search for a fixture wall chart.

I just need something on my phone I can quickly refer to.

In fact I’d prefer it not to be colour coded for difficulty as I don’t usually agree anyway.

So maybe I should search for a wall chart fixture thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I just take a screen capture of the fixture list every few weeks and save it on my desktop/phone and have a gander when needed

The more colours the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I find it funny hearing about people starting up pages and bigging themselves up based on a top 100k finish. I finished 3.9k last year but the idea I'm an expert now would be madness.

Never mind my own site, I sometimes hover over the submit reply button here wondering if I'm just leading someone astray with my opinion on a strategy or transfer they're planning. Especially when I recognise them as someone who has done well in the game over the years.

But I do ask the odd time here for opinions on my thinking so I try help out in some way for more obvious questions with what I think are clearer answers.

On the other subject I didnt watch a single game myself last season and won't this time either probably. Just don't have that time. So I'm stuck to stats and what people write here who are watching the games. I use a simple system to rank players each week and use it a guide when making decisions. Will probably find out this season if last season was just a one off where the stats happened to lead to performances.

Same story with season tickers for me. I look at the FFS one and it seems the handiest but I use an even simpler system for team stats which I use as a very very basic guide.

dsmythy wrote: »
    I find it funny hearing about people starting up pages and bigging themselves up based on a top 100k finish. I finished 3.9k last year but the idea I'm an expert now would be madness.

Never mind my own site, I sometimes hover over the submit reply button here wondering if I'm just leading someone astray with my opinion on a strategy or transfer they're planning. Especially when I recognise them as someone who has done well in the game over the years.

But I do ask the odd time here for opinions on my thinking so I try help out in some way for more obvious questions with what I think are clearer answers.

On the other subject I didnt watch a single game myself last season and won't this time either probably. Just don't have that time. So I'm stuck to stats and what people write here who are watching the games. I use a simple system to rank players each week and use it a guide when making decisions. Will probably find out this season if last season was just a one off where the stats happened to lead to performances.

Same story with season tickers for me. I look at the FFS one and it seems the handiest but I use an even simpler system for team stats which I use as a very very basic guide.
    What’s the parameters for the rankings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Is there any way of leaving a league, have used up my 12 spots and want to join a couple of others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

patmac wrote: »
    Is there any way of leaving a league, have used up my 12 spots and want to join a couple of others.

Yup. Go to the league tab. Click on "Options" next to the league you want to leave. Then "Leave League".

• Advertisement

What’s the parameters for the rankings?

You're going to lose me with more technical talk. Are you talking about the specific player stats I use?

dsmythy wrote: »
    You're going to lose me with more technical talk. Are you talking about the specific player stats I use?

You said I use a simple system to rank players

What’s the parameters of the system?

You said I use a simple system to rank players

What’s the parameters of the system?

I don't understand what you're asking.

I take several player stats I'm interested in, shots on target, touches in box etc. Each one I take the players with the best stats and give them points usually only the best 10-15 players. I do it with each stat of interest and I add up each players' points. The stats are from the players' previous 6 games played.

It's not hard coded or anything I allow myself poetic license based on how each stat works out from the best downwards. I've a feeling how you assess stats is far more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

Finished in top 2250 last year and only really go on gut, form and from what I see in games. Not a stats man at all. I haven't a clue tbh!

Might start a website and Twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

budgemook wrote:
    Finished in top 2250 last year and only really go on gut, form and from what I see in games. Not a stats man at all. I haven't a clue tbh!

Top 2250?

Where exactly , 2249th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Lads I won the whole thing I didn't change my team since Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,149 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Today's press conferences:

Pellegrini - 12:30 pm
    Emery - 1 pm
    Hughton - 1:30 pm
    Puel - 1:30 pm
    Jokanovic - 2 pm
    Hughes - 2 pm
    Silva - 2:15 pm
    Dyche - Europa League post-match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Interesting to see some ‘new’ posters names coming up this Season,they must be longtime lurkers and coming out of the closet this year😀

Admittedly I would not have posted every gameweek over last few seasons but have a decent record of asking questions and offering answers/opinions to other forum posters.
    That should be the spirit of a forum like this.
    Personally it pisses me off when you see lads coming in at end of GW 38 saying how they came in top 10k in OR......yet never contribute to the forum all season.

I always think to myself ‘mmmmm.....did they really come in top 10k or it just an internet Willy waving effort😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

The people on this forum are so knowledgeable other people find it difficult to contribute to the same level. I know myself I added to a discussion once or twice and was picked up oby someone straight away. Not complaining, they were right but I won't be as quick to offer it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

In terms of posters and helpfulness and a solid community this is probably one of the best sub forum on boards imo.

I can understand why some people wouldn't want to post what they're doing etc due to money leagues on boards

Advertisement