Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

Benimar wrote: »
    Nobody made Richarlison push his head into Smith though. His own fault and fully deserved the 3 match bad for an idiotic move.

I don’t agree.

Mitigating circumstances. Richarlison was static for the whole event. Smith walked up to him and put his head forward. Richarlison reacted. No problem with that. He’s human.

Same with Arter. Sneaky and dirty little Bastard of a player. Walked up and pushed his head into Hogg. Hogg reacted and Arter goes down like a baby. Even sounded like a baby in his post match interview talking about ‘strong force’ used by Hogg. Arter could have been sent off twice already this season for poor tackles.

Think it’s wrong to be so technical in making red card decisions when players are getting away with tackles that could stop a player completing a game.

I don’t like people, players, managers or anyone else in life that hide behind ‘technically’. It doesn’t make something right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone found instigating a head-butt should get the same punishment imo. Hate this craic of walking up and putting your head into an opposition's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He technically deserved it but you’ll struggle to see a softer red this season.

The kind of one in hindsight where you’d have preferred to deck him and take the red.

Smiths was softer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I don’t agree.

Mitigating circumstances. Richarlison was static for the whole event. Smith walked up to him and put his head forward. Richarlison reacted. No problem with that. He’s human.

Same with Arter. Sneaky and dirty little Bastard of a player. Walked up and pushed his head into Hogg. Hogg reacted and Arter goes down like a baby. Even sounded like a baby in his post match interview talking about ‘strong force’ used by Hogg. Arter could have been sent off twice already this season for poor tackles.

Think it’s wrong to be so technical in making red card decisions when players are getting away with tackles that could stop a player completing a game.

I don’t like people, players, managers or anyone else in life that hide behind ‘technically’. It doesn’t make something right or wrong.

Richarlison head butted Smith. That’s a red card. Doesn’t matter what happened before.

If Smith had, say, punched him first then Smith sees red, but so does Richarlison for the head butt. Mitigating circumstances are for court cases, not refereeing decisions.

It’s a pretty clear red card tbh so I don’t see why you would say it’s not.

FWIW I have Richarlison, and he deserves his 3 games.

We differ on the definition of headbutt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

For those interested:

https://fantasypremierleaguehints.blogspot.com/2018/08/mini-index-of-premier-league.html

List of some pro players FPL teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

We differ on the definition of headbutt.

You really don't need much of a wind up to do some damage with a headbutt to be fair. You can put a solid nut on the bridge of the nose from 2 inches, but that's a technicality.

Smith should be ashamed of himself for making something of nothing and natural justice was served when he got the red himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

cheers for this! will def have a read later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Invincible

CSWS101 wrote: »
    If anyone thinks they spend too much time playing FPL, check out this league. Consists of about 4/5 guys with around 100 teams each. Ridiculous

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/leagues/standings/222783/classic

There's only one participant in 11 of the leagues, one of those lads was in the above league multiple times but now he's on his ownio ...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

MU are awful currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Big Borg wrote: »
    MU are awful currently.

Pogba was in so many WC team on here
    Couldn’t get my head around it

I rid myself of united players in my WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Very tempted to WC but I'm about 10 million short of my ideal team and don't think 5-5-3 is allowed.

Some choices this year so far. Hope it continues. Hate templates.

PARlance wrote: »
    Very tempted to WC but I'm about 10 million short of my ideal team and don't think 5-5-3 is allowed.

Some choices this year so far. Hope it continues. Hate templates.

Certainly the defence and to a lesser extent the midfield is somewhat templatey but not so much up top I don’t think.

There’s a good chance not many team will have Salah, Hazard, Aubameyang, Kane and Aguero when they’ll all be needed.

Judging player form and FT’s could be vital this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Egersdorff has wildcarded ahead of GW4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Invincible

Paully D wrote: »
    Egersdorff has wildcarded ahead of GW4.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Invincible wrote: »
    Who?

James Egersdorff.

Widely regarded as one of the best FPL players in the world and #1 in the FF Scout Hall of Fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I'm having an absolute nightmare start lads and I don't quite know why.

Missed Richarlison GW1 and I took a -8 last week which turned out disastrously in terms of GW3 points but moved out some duds gave me players that should be good for the short term.

I can't see much wrong with my team. Took a -4 to get Alonso and move Richarlison this week so far and it looks ok for GW4.

But my OR is 925k. :(

Patricio/Hamer
    Alonso, Mendy, Holebas, Wan Bissaka, Peltier
    Salah, Mkhitaryan, Pedro, Walcott, Gunnarson
    Aguero, Auba, Arnie

I'm resisting the urge to wildcard as I would still want a lot of those players and would only really be tidying up. Am I being too patient?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Taking out Moura for Mkhitaryan a nightmare decision. God damn it United. Had a bad week of 44 points. 20K

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FHFC wrote: »
    [...] an absolute nightmare start [...]

No offense mate but I'm just quoting you as an example ;).

1. Only 3 GWs gone.
    2. Don't forget the 2m FPL game is long gone now, we're on 5+m players currently.

I mean a 1m rank now is equivalent to a 400k when we started playing the game. I doubt we'd have conisder 400k a nightmare back then.

Patricio/Hamer
    Aguero, Auba, Arnie

I'm resisting the urge to wildcard as I would still want a lot of those players and would only really be tidying up. Am I being too patient?
    As for your team, mine is similar post GW3 WC. With the seasons accumulating and my experience of the game growing, I really played down the myth around the WC. If I have to change, there'll be some points hits. Now or later, what difference does it make? As for last GW, I was coming close to -16 so decided to WC.

My main worry this year is the lack of flexibility due to Salah & Kane huge price tags.

All that said, who would you be bringing in to justify a WC? Kane for PEA? But you may be able to do that with just a -4, mayn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

One thing a little different this year is that many of the strong players seem to have gotten off to good starts.

• Advertisement

I'm having an absolute nightmare start lads and I don't quite know why.

Missed Richarlison GW1 and I took a -8 last week which turned out disastrously in terms of GW3 points but moved out some duds gave me players that should be good for the short term.

I can't see much wrong with my team. Took a -4 to get Alonso and move Richarlison this week so far and it looks ok for GW4.

Patricio/Hamer
    Aguero, Auba, Arnie

Unless you are going to replace 5-7 players I wouldn’t do it.

This year, more than any, I’ve realised how much luck is involved early on and especially with the 50-50 calls and then the knock on effect of each decision.

That’s a good team and deserves to get another 3-4 weeks to see if it swings the other way for you.

iroced wrote: »
    No offense mate but I'm just quoting you as an example ;).

1. Only 3 GWs gone.
    2. Don't forget the 2m FPL game is long gone now, we're on 5+m players currently.

I mean a 1m rank now is equivalent to a 400k when we started playing the game. I doubt we'd have conisder 400k a nightmare back then.

As for your team, mine is similar post GW3 WC. With the seasons accumulating and my experience of the game growing, I really played down the myth around the WC. If I have to change, there'll be some points hits. Now or later, what difference does it make? As for last GW, I was coming close to -16 so decided to WC.

My main worry this year is the lack of flexibility due to Salah & Kane huge price tags.

All that said, who would you be bringing in to justify a WC? Kane for PEA? But you may be able to do that with just a -4, mayn't you?

Yeah I know 1m after gw3 isn't the end of the world, but as Kev says (and Busts has said elsewhere) a lot of very good, serious players have hit the ground running. I'm 70 points behind some very good players in cash leagues. It's probably just bad luck and will probably even out somewhat but it's a lot of points, and a lot of bad luck in just 3 weeks.

I've had as good a run of captain picks as I could have so I'm just a bit shell shocked to be so far behind some people.

Maybe I just needed a hug and you guys to tell me it's gonna be ok....... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

KevIRL wrote: »
    One thing a little different this year is that many of the strong players seem to have gotten off to good starts.

This. I’m at 115k and doing ok but in some leagues i’m 30 points behind traditionally strong players. It’s normally guys who use all their chips early that are doing well but not this year.

iroced wrote: »

On this part, I got PEA and Mhki in as part of my hit last week along with Pedro. I actually had funds to get Kane, and I was initially going to do that move but I got PEA and kept 1.5m in the bank.

I'm not sold on Kane as an option yet. Scary words to say given how much he murdered me last year with the infamous double hattricks.

But the difference is that while he has returned well the last two weeks and will haul here and there, he's not auto-captain for most people, and for the huge price he's not giving value for budget if not captained. (I know some people disagree with that concept so if you don't lets agree to disagree).

I think there is serious value in the 6m to 8m range this year, compare to very little potential sub 6m (apart from maybe Austin, and possibly Fraser) so I don't think owning 3 super-premium players is justified when you could use the money to have a bigger defence and strong 3rd/4th mid and/or 3rd striker.

I.e. trying to own Kane, Salah and Aguero will leave you scrimping in defence and having a cheap 4th mid/3rd striker.

But looking at the fixtures of those three over the next 10 GWs and I only see ONE week where Kane would be the overwhelming captain choice -see below.

459596.JPG

So I'd be more looking at downgrading PEA to Mitrovic and improving my defence and being able to upgrade my third mid to a 9m budget range player.

There's probably an argument to own Kane around GW7 to 9, and there will be runs of fixtures where his captaincy threat is higher, but in general I think I'll leave him and accept that he may get a brace or a hat trick here and there but if I'm getting decent captain returns from Aguero/Salah for less investment I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

May as well throw in my 2c worth.

We are 3 weeks in, 35 to go. For those trailing I'd suggest patience. The worst thing you can do now is take an unnecessary 'risk' and have it blow up in your face. Suddenly a 70 point deficit becomes 100+ and you have a couple of 'problem' players in your team you need to transfer out.

At this stage just play your own game. 70 points is nothing. Your Aguero/Salah captain hits, his Salah/Aguero captain blanks and you could pull back 15-20 in a week.

I've recovered (and lost) 100+ point leads over the 2nd half of the season, never mind 35 weeks.

Patience, young grasshopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I was all set to WC this week or next, but suddenly after Lucas Moura's heroics and price going up, everything suddenly looks rosy again! Willing to wait till after internationals to see what happens there. PEA is really trying my patience though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'll be banking my transfer this week but next week I can do either of these sets of transfers:

A - Firmino and Sessegnon out for Kane and some 4.5 mid.
    B - Firmino and Sessegnon out for Hazard and a cheap striker, perhaps Zaha.

I am leaning towards A at the moment. I have Mhkitarian, Moura, Salah, Sessegnon and Neves in midfield and Aguero, Ings and Firmino up front

Any thoughts?

You’ll probably get more feedback in the transfer thread.

Could be time to own Kane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

With option A, I assume you're playing 3-4-3, meaning you'll probably be playing Neves and Ings every game which isn't ideal?

Option B at least means that you can rotate Ings or Neves or a defender (AWB say).

Kane is Kane though, and Hazard is Hazard (though I'm looking to try and bring him in over the next two GWs!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think so. Spurs are looking very good to be fair to them - I read FHFC's post above but what hasn't be accounted for is the VC option. Aguero is bound to be rested at some point and a VC switch to Kane could result in some serious differential points. It's not that hard to have all three either, I can do it and still have Robertson, Mendy and Pereira in defense - no Alonso though!

I think I'll go with the 3 (hopefully big hitters) and rotate the others. The value is there in the 6 - 7 range, as stated, to get good returns from that price range. It's the 8m / 9m players that I'll be avoiding for now.

Advertisement