Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

dsmythy wrote: »
    Salah versus players with at least 120 minutes under their belt so far this season

Touches in box - 34 (1st)
    Chances created - 13 (joint 1st)
    Big chances - 5 (joint 3rd)
    Shots inside box - Every 28.2 mins (7th)
    Shots on target - Every 48.3 mins (7th)

And Salah watchers seem to think he has more in his tank that he's currently showing.

Those stats are exactly why we think his points returns will improve.

He is getting in the right positions and he is getting the chances. He’s had a couple of really bad misses. If they start going in, he will rack up a big scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I have Salah and Walcott at the minute but Mane and Hazard is very tempting. May even go Pereira and Salah depending if Watford can keep going good, which I doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I have Salah and Walcott at the minute but Mane and Hazard is very tempting. May even go Pereira and Salah depending if Watford can keep going good, which I doubt

Bad fixtures coming up if I recall. Watford that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

iroced wrote: »
    That's not how I'd analyse those stats. I'd rather say he's underperforming in terms of FPL returns and shall he kept those stats you'd expect his FPL returns to increase.

That said £13.0m is an awful lot of money. It's all about the balance of your team but e.g. Salah + Walcott vs Mané + Hazard could become debatable...

I'm weighing up David Silva-Salah Vs Mane-Hazard at the moment.

Everyone in my main league seems to have Salah so it would be very risky for me to go without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

shineon23 wrote: »
    I'm weighing up David Silva-Salah Vs Mane-Hazard at the moment.

Everyone in my main league seems to have Salah so it would be very risky for me to go without.

I'm opting for Mane / Hazard (although I also have Silva aswell). Hazard's next few are nicer than Salah's and he's in better form. If you have buyer's remorse in a few weeks, it's not the hardest substitution to go Hazard to Salah once Salah's fixtures ease up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I think it makes perfect sense to now go without both Mane & Salah.

The debate is as such do you keep 1 and if so which one or do you drop both?

I’m highly considering dropping both and going with a Hazard Sterling Aguero and Kane attack force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Chesty08 wrote: »

I’m highly considering dropping both and going with a Hazard Sterling Aguero and Kane attack force

I've had Kane since the start, but is he really justifying his price tag at the moment?

I'm currently on my wildcard so I'll have to answer that question over the next two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm on WC and toying with this. There may be tears.

I won't be including Kane. He isn't coming near justifying his price tag.

Having a quick read of the Spurs Thread on the Soccer Forum, it appears fans aren't too happy with his performances. Some even suggesting he needs a break.

There is no way he will be 'rested' but it shows how poorly he is playing if the lads who watch him week in and week out say he is off form.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

I have Salah Mane Hazard and Aguero in my Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure what Kane has done to justify being included at salahs expense ..............the more that sell Salah the happier I'll be
    I was on the other side of not having him for far too long last year
    At least he is getting the chances to miss.......be far worse if he wasnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

letsgo2018 wrote: »

Whats the rest of it though?

Manchester United

Verified account

@ManUtd
    1m1 minute ago
    Fixture change

#MUFC's clash with Everton at Old Trafford will now be played on Sunday 28 October (16:00 GMT).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Manchester United

Verified account

@ManUtd
    1m1 minute ago
    Fixture change

#MUFC's clash with Everton at Old Trafford will now be played on Sunday 28 October (16:00 GMT).

Same GW as originally scheduled.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Same GW as originally scheduled.

Sorry didn't double check just put it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

km79 wrote: »
    Not sure what Kane has done to justify being included at salahs expense ..............the more that sell Salah the happier I'll be
    I was on the other side of not having him for far too long last year
    At least he is getting the chances to miss.......be far worse if he wasnt

Even Alonso is averaging more shots per game than Kane, the willingness to sacrifice Salah for him is baffling.

Sorry didn't double check just put it up

The Spurs v City game was due to be on Sky that day, but has been moved to Monday night - Wembley isn't available on the Sunday.

I'd imagine this is just the replacement TV game, hence the move in date and time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

letsgo2018 wrote: »

What’s your defence like!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Even Alonso is averaging more shots per game than Kane, the willingness to sacrifice Salah for him is baffling.

I'm not saying it's the right move but I wouldn't say it's baffling, it's one surely for any manager to consider.

As it's very hard to have both (particularly if we're saying Aguero is must-have) then it is a case of culling Salah to make way for Kane.

The upcoming fixtures for both favour Kane. The game is all about getting on the right man at the right time so I can see why there are some tempted.

Then there's Salah's apparent lack of form. Bar one moment of pure class against Brighton he's been out of sorts for 3 games now in terms of his finishing.

Then you look at Mane and think you could perhaps cover Liverpool's attack over the next 4 GWs while the fixtures are tough. Mane and Salah (and very possibly Robertson for many) is a huge investment in Liverpool over this period.

Then you look at where the goals come from a team, and I do think Spurs lean far more heavily on Kane than Pool do on Salah. You have Firmino and Mane getting amongst the goals and assists, and while Spurs have Eriksen and Alli, I think Kane gets a bigger share (particularly being on pens too).

Finally, Kane is just an old reliable. He's been at this for 4 years now. I'm not saying Salah's season was a fluke, but second season syndrome is a thing and defenders will be much more wary of him. He is in some regards a less proven asset. There can be no doubt that Kane will bank in another ~25 goals this season as he's relentlessly done the last 4 seasons. While I'd expect Salah to match this tally, there is a little more doubt over it.

I deliberated about removing Salah last week in my WC and decided to keep him, but I don't think it's the no brainer it's being made out to be by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's the right move but I wouldn't say it's baffling, it's one surely for any manager to consider.

As it's very hard to have both (particularly if we're saying Aguero is must-have) then it is a case of culling Salah to make way for Kane.

The upcoming fixtures for both favour Kane. The game is all about getting on the right man at the right time so I can see why there are some tempted.

Then there's Salah's apparent lack of form. Bar one moment of pure class against Brighton he's been out of sorts for 3 games now in terms of his finishing.

Then you look at Mane and think you could perhaps cover Liverpool's attack over the next 4 GWs while the fixtures are tough. Mane and Salah (and very possibly Robertson for many) is a huge investment in Liverpool over this period.

Then you look at where the goals come from a team, and I do think Spurs lean far more heavily on Kane than Pool do on Salah. You have Firmino and Mane getting amongst the goals and assists, and while Spurs have Eriksen and Alli, I think Kane gets a bigger share (particularly being on pens too).

Finally, Kane is just an old reliable. He's been at this for 4 years now. I'm not saying Salah's season was a fluke, but second season syndrome is a thing and defenders will be much more wary of him. He is in some regards a less proven asset. There can be no doubt that Kane will bank in another ~25 goals this season as he's relentlessly done the last 4 seasons. While I'd expect Salah to match this tally, there is a little more doubt over it.

I deliberated about removing Salah last week in my WC and decided to keep him, but I don't think it's the no brainer it's being made out to be by some.

Sure Kane might hit 25 goals again but he proved last season that you can't rely on captaining him in the easier fixtures which is the opposite of Salah. Salah actually has 3 more points than he had at this stage last season, our expectations of him have just gone through the roof. Kane hasn't looked the same player since his injury imo and the stats bear this out. I'm all for getting on a player when their fixtures turn but he doesn't have the form to be shelling out 12.5 for him. Eriksen looks off the boil as well so that's his main creative outlet gone too. Looks like they both needed a proper rest after the WC but instead were thrown straight in from the start.

• Advertisement

Sure Kane might hit 25 goals again but he proved last season that you can't rely on captaining him in the easier fixtures which is the opposite of Salah. Salah actually has 3 more points than he had at this stage last season, our expectations of him have just gone through the roof. Kane hasn't looked the same player since his injury imo and the stats bear this out. I'm all for getting on a player when their fixtures turn but he doesn't have the form to be shelling out 12.5 for him. Eriksen looks off the boil as well so that's his main creative outlet gone too. Looks like they both needed a proper rest after the WC but instead were thrown straight in from the start.

Re start: you could say the same for Kane too, fairly sure he didn't have 20 points this time last year given that he didn't score.

I think Salah is going to be top scorer again this year but I'm contemplating going without for the next 4-5GWs. It's a risk but I think he'll be rested a lot more in between CL this year. Shaqiri coming on for him at the weekend is a move we'll probably see alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Was very impressed with holebas quality on set pieces yesterday, will definitely start him v man utd. On paper it should be a united win but momentum is a big thing, wouldn't be surprised if they won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What are Firmino owners doing?

I was all set to jump off him but a goal and 2 assists in the first 4 games is not a bad return.

He also should have scored against Brighton and would have had an assist only for an easy Salah miss against Leicester.

That said, he will drop in price over the break.

Tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Was going to out tosun, but with miki not starting and the injury to zaha I'm a bit undecided. I can't keep a striker who's not scoring. Might look at lacazette but that means downgrading midfield or possibly getting rid of zaha and tosun for laca and a cannon fodder fwd.

Anyone any advice

Paully D wrote: »

I was all set to jump off him but a goal and 2 assists in the first 4 games is not a bad return.

He also should have scored against Brighton and would have had an assist only for an easy Salah miss against Leicester.

Tough one.

I'm on a wildcard currently and am inclined to go with Vardy. I have Robertson and Mane and that's about as much Liverpool as I'm willing to go with over the next 4.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Was going to out tosun, but with miki not starting and the injury to zaha I'm a bit undecided. I can't keep a striker who's not scoring. Might look at lacazette but that means downgrading midfield or possibly getting rid of zaha and tosun for laca and a cannon fodder fwd.

Anyone any advice

Vardy and Ings if you had a few quid spare to make up the difference? Lacazette is tempting but personally I can't be dealing with the rotation drama every week. Mkhi had a goal and an assist performance 2 weeks and was reduced to a one minute cameo yesterday so there's no telling what that madman Emery will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Paully D wrote: »

Tough one.

i was the same but i am keeping him for the moment, i also have salah who im not to sure about, i picked couthino over him last season which turned out to be a bad mistake and i dont want to get burned again when he takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Is it really worth going all in on 3 premium defenders? That's what I'm currently doing on wildcard but something in the back of my mind is telling me it's not worth it. Certainly historically I would always have had 2 premium strikers. Why should it be any different this season? Surely Alonso, Robertson, Mendy and to a lesser extent Trippier returns are unsustainable and you'd be better off with 1/2 and a second premium striker?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Is it really worth going all in on 3 premium defenders? That's what I'm currently doing on wildcard but something in the back of my mind is telling me it's not worth it. Certainly historically I would always have had 2 premium strikers. Why should it be any different this season? Surely Alonso, Robertson, Mendy and to a lesser extent Trippier returns are unsustainable and you'd be better off with 1/2 and a second premium striker?

Historically FB's didn't play the furthest up the pitch. It's nuts. It'll be very interesting to see how they end up at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

stephenl15 wrote: »

The way I look at it, these lads are essentially wingers in terms of the positions they're getting in, and are capable of racking up assists at a rate similar to the best mids. If Alonso and Mendy were classed as midfielders in the game, you could make an argument for having them at that price but when you throw in the reasonable likelihood of clean sheet points most weeks, they're irresistible in my opinion. It's been an especially juicy run so far for the three you mentioned and there'll inevitably be fallow periods ahead, but I'll be doing surgery on other areas of my team to raise cash before I'd meddle with my premium defenders.

Advertisement