Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think it's very noteworthy when you look at what happened at the World Cup.

Very annoying to be honest to have this curveball thrown in (used WC last week).

For me it does add significantly to me wanting to get Hazard in at home to Cardiff. If I was on a WC and on the fence about Hazard this would be enough to tip me over imo

EDIT: Just read the above that the VAR might be a different procedure to the WC. Perhaps not quite as significant then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think it's very noteworthy when you look at what happened at the World Cup.

Very annoying to be honest to have this curveball thrown in (used WC last week).

For me it does add significantly to me wanting to get Hazard in at home to Cardiff. If I was on a WC and on the fence about Hazard this would be enough to tip me over imo

EDIT: Just read the above that the VAR might be a different procedure to the WC. Perhaps not quite as significant then

The VAR refs won't have any contact with the on pitch refs so it's not going to change anything so long as the refs don't change what they're doing just because they know VAR is watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

VAR knows and sees everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Invincible

We'll see more of big Mick McCarthy lad's,
    he's got a pundit's job with Virgin Media

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Invincible wrote: »
    We'll see more of big Mick McCarthy lad

:-)

Mhiky likely to rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Salah missed 2 penalties tonight for Egypt. Definitely won’t be on spot kicks now (even if Milner is off the field)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Benimar wrote: »
    I won't be including Kane. He isn't coming near justifying his price tag.

Having a quick read of the Spurs Thread on the Soccer Forum, it appears fans aren't too happy with his performances. Some even suggesting he needs a break.

There is no way he will be 'rested' but it shows how poorly he is playing if the lads who watch him week in and week out say he is off form.

I can just see him keeping up his unbelievable consistency and banging in goals over the next few months, especially given his fixtures. I think he's a player that you can never write off. I'm
    Pro Kane Mid Wildcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is anyone reconsidering the usefulness if AWB going forward. I was tempted to try squeeze in 5 "premium" full backs (although Shawn's injury might put an end to that plan) but AWBs bargain price made him feel like a must have. In reality he's had a very disappointing return since gameweek1 but that's obviously a very small sample size.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is anyone reconsidering the usefulness if AWB going forward. I was tempted to try squeeze in 5 "premium" full backs (although Shawn's injury might put an end to that plan) but AWBs bargain price made him feel like a must have. In reality he's had a very disappointing return since gameweek1 but that's obviously a very small sample size.

No such thing as disappointing returns for a 4M defender that plays tbh. Barring the red card

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I have the three big hitting defenders plus AWB in a back line of four, with Ryan Bennett on the bench. I can't see myself touching that either unless the unspeakable happens to one of the big three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A 4m playing defender that's actually a good player playing in a decent team is a rare gift, he will be in my squad for the remainder of the season barring injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Reconsidering in favour of whom? There's zero value in replacing a 4m defender who starts, unless you want to go with 5 atb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have 0.4 and one free transfer

Shaw to Bellarin

Or

Hart to someone

Reconsidering in favour of whom? There's zero value in replacing a 4m defender who starts, unless you want to go with 5 atb.
    That's exactly what I was looking for feedback on. And to be clear I'm just throwing something out there to get some debate going as opposed to telling everyone it's time to get rid of AWB.

The strong dissent here might make it an even more worthwhile discussion. Are we a little blinded by the traditional value we associate with a starting 4.0 defender and one with attacking instincts.

On the flip side a back 5 of Mendy - Robertson - Alonso - Tripper - Shaw (if fit) could deliver some great returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

That's exactly what I was looking for feedback on. And to be clear I'm just throwing something out there to get some debate going as opposed to telling everyone it's time to get rid of AWB.

The strong dissent here might make it an even more worthwhile discussion. Are we a little blinded by the traditional value we associate with a starting 4.0 defender and one with attacking instincts.

On the flip side a back 5 of Mendy - Robertson - Alonso - Tripper - Shaw (if fit) could deliver some great returns.

I have four of that back five with AWB instead of Trippier. Hoping for good returns from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You could be onto something there. It's not that wan bissaka is a bad option he is a good option. But by having him you can't have an extra attacking fullback. It's a no for me as it's been a big enough leap going with more expensive defenders for me. I'm not ready to go with a back 5 but it might be a strategy worth going with.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have four of that back five with AWB instead of Trippier. Hoping for good returns from them.
    We have the same back 5 at the moment so.
    You could be onto something there. It's not that wan bissaka is a bad option he is a good option. But by having him you can't have an extra attacking fullback. It's a no for me as it's been a big enough leap going with more expensive defenders for me. I'm not ready to go with a back 5 but it might be a strategy worth going with.
    I think you could be right in that a strong back 4 is a nice half way point between the traditional premium x 2 + 1 from 3 cheap options and 5 x premium full backs. The first few gameweeks of this season could be an anomaly. But if it's not and attacking/set piece taking full backs continue to score at this rate then having a starting 4.0 who's not seeing similar returns could be a hindrance. Something like this is very much possible and not a million miles away from what I currently have...

4.5m Goalie - 4.0m Goalie
    Mendy - Alonso - Robertson - Shaw - Trippier
    Salah - Hazard - Richarlison (4.5m bench fodder x 2)
    Aguero - Mitrovic (Ings as first choice bench option)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hazard in for salah anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not for me. I readily accept that many (the majority?) will have a different view, but having watched Salah in his 4 games, he is getting the chances. You would have to imagine he will start putting them away soon.

Going by the figures it looks to be a popular transfer for this GW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Benimar wrote: »
    Not for me. I readily accept that many (the majority?) will have a different view, but having watched Salah in his 4 games, he is getting the chances. You would have to imagine he will start putting them away soon.
    Going by the figures it looks to be a popular transfer for this GW.

Purely because there playing Cardiff, although Hazard might not show up, there's always that risk with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Watched motd this morning. In the chelsea highlights hazard had one shot and two attempted assists for alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Purely because there playing Cardiff, although Hazard might not show up, there's always that risk with him.
    Hazard outscored Salah over the last two game weeks, thats before taking into account captaincy, and he has also appreciated in price nicely.

Hazard has been a better fpl asset for the past two game weeks and I expect him to be even more so by the end of this game week. I don't expect that to last very long so I will be considering moving Hazard on in the next few weeks, in the meantime I hope people will continue to bring him in allowing me to squeeze a bit more team value out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Now that Richarlison dropped, I can squeeze Lacazette in giving me

4.5 Hamer
    Alonso Mendy Robertson Wan-B Bennett
    Hazard Mane Moura Richarlison 4.5
    Aguero Lacazette Mitrovic

Lacazette a little risky but he looked pretty good the last game, fixtures are great too. But not 100%. Salah had so many chances that he bottled and going into Liverpool games with no Salah is awful watching!

Hazrard looked decent too and working well with Alonso, but I don't like owning him much either

At the same time I'm sure it's worth risking no Salah sitting at 2k, could be a disaster or brilliant

With Vardy back will Demarai Gray still start?

With Vardy back will Demarai Gray still start?

Yes. Vardy doesn’t impact his gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭macraignil

Made that move just after watching match of the day last week. Same points earned so far this season and over 2mill. cheaper.

Have decided to wait 2 game weeks to see if I'll reinvest the spare cash elsewhere in the team so move could be reversed.

Currently thinking that most defenses are expecting the Salah threat this season and Mane might be as good an option for captain from Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

We have the same back 5 at the moment so.

I think you could be right in that a strong back 4 is a nice half way point between the traditional premium x 2 + 1 from 3 cheap options and 5 x premium full backs. The first few gameweeks of this season could be an anomaly. But if it's not and attacking/set piece taking full backs continue to score at this rate then having a starting 4.0 who's not seeing similar returns could be a hindrance. Something like this is very much possible and not a million miles away from what I currently have...

4.5m Goalie - 4.0m Goalie
    Mendy - Alonso - Robertson - Shaw - Trippier
    Salah - Hazard - Richarlison (4.5m bench fodder x 2)
    Aguero - Mitrovic (Ings as first choice bench option)

No Mane is the only glaring downside I see

Advertisement