Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Wilberto wrote: »
    +1

You can save 0.5m on the sub keeper then and only have 9.5m ties up on keepers.

4.5M and 4.5M is 9M so it's less cash tied up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

4.5M and 4.5M is 9M so it's less cash tied up.

Yeah, but comes with the added headache of choosing the right keeper which, if you get wrong, you'll be regretting until the following week.

Removing that selection headache and that risk (but mainly the headache) is definitely worth the extra 0.5m. For me it is anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

There's not too much wrong with that team to be honest but the keeper is an issue, United are leaking goals so no point tying up 6 on De Gea. Get him out and get in Ederson would be my advice. City will keep loads of clean sheets solely on the basis that they generally have >70% possession and teams play extremely defensively against them.

I've no idea why people try cheap out on keepers, it's madness. For an extra 1 you can upgrade from bottom team keeper to a top keeper and benefit from all the extra clean sheets the top teams will generally keep. And the beauty of the keeper is he is rotation proof and less likely to get injured than any other position.

your words must have worked better than mine seeing as SD removed his/her thanks :pac:

are you saying you'd be comfortable/confident of starting 3 from Ake, WanBis (both fixtures turning soon so 5 atb won't be great), Costa, Joselu (great fixtures I know), Obiang & Hojbjerg?

the right 4.5 keeper wont finish that far behind the expensive GK. (I cant pull up the stats at the mo but I'm pretty confident this is true for most seasons I've been playing)

It's what the extra 1/1.5 can do to the starting 11 makes it worthwhile... I do get he/she has 4 premium players & they're strong but 1.5mil could really help to get a better starter than Costa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'd try fit Kane in for this GW if you're just looking at this week.

Or if looking more long term maybe chop either Duffy or Ake for Bennett and between those two transfers that should leave enough for Joselu (a truly hopeless case) for Arnie?

Also now that I'm thinking about it, don't do De Gea to Ederson this week as United should keep a clean sheet at home to Newcastle but can't see Ederson keeping one at Anfield.

So maybe go Kane to Aguero and Ake to Bennett this week. Then get Ederson in, then Kane back to Aguero and Joselu to Arnie.

Now obviously that'll take a few weeks if you don't want to be taking hits but they'd be my recommendations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

So maybe go Kane to Aguero and Ake to Bennett this week. Then get Ederson in, then Kane back to Aguero and Joselu to Arnie.

Now obviously that'll take a few weeks if you don't want to be taking hits but they'd be my recommendations.

Kane is at home to Cardiff this week though, and Aguero will undoubtedly be hauled off at 60 minutes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Kane is at home to Cardiff this week though, and Aguero will undoubtedly be hauled off at 60 minutes again.

Ya that's why I recommended going Aguero to Kane for a couple of weeks.

Ya that's why I recommended going Aguero to Kane for a couple of weeks.

Ah! You said "Kane to Aguero this week", but reading on it says "Kane back to Aguero" so I think the names were just mixed up in your post which is what confused me. :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

There's not too much wrong with that team to be honest but the keeper is an issue, United are leaking goals so no point tying up 6 on De Gea. Get him out and get in Ederson would be my advice. City will keep loads of clean sheets solely on the basis that they generally have >70% possession and teams play extremely defensively against them.

I've no idea why people try cheap out on keepers, it's madness. For an extra 1 you can upgrade from bottom team keeper to a top keeper and benefit from all the extra clean sheets the top teams will generally keep. And the beauty of the keeper is he is rotation proof and less likely to get injured than any other position.

Just going off the top of my head but there is usually a decent price keeper that scores in the top 3 or top 5 every year no?It's just about picking the right one. Think it was pope last year possibly heaton the year before? I'm sure someone will have the stats. Plus a keeper from e.g. city hurts you outfield you could want mendy kdb and aguero say or salah Robertson and firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mmm maybe not taken off on 60 tho cos it’s internationals next and I don’t think aguero playing with Argentina. Kane could get taken off early tho with an international injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

There have been several in depth analysis on this done on various site that showed that in general if you settle on the right cheap keeper they won't be far behind the premium option for 1m less which can gain you significant upgrades elsewhere.

DDG last season was an anomaly as the number of saves he made were a massive outlier for what he (or premium keepers generally) usually gets, and therefore bonus points he got when they kept a clean sheet were unusual.

If you identify the potential Heaton type of 4.5 keeper each year (and there always is one - see Patricio, Hart or Fab for this year's version) and set and forget that is usually a pretty good strategy. Certainly not one that makes no sense or should mystify anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FHFC wrote: »
    There have been several in depth analysis on this done on various site that showed that in general if you settle on the right cheap keeper they won't be far behind the premium option for 1m less which can gain you significant upgrades elsewhere.

DDG last season was an anomaly as the number of saves he made were a massive outlier for what he (or premium keepers generally) usually gets, and therefore bonus points he got when they kept a clean sheet were unusual.

If you identify the potential Heaton type of 4.5 keeper each year (and there always is one - see Patricio, Hart or Fab for this year's version) and set and forget that is usually a pretty good strategy. Certainly not one that makes no sense or should mystify anyone.
    Big if's

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Big if's

They're really not.

Every season. Usually around now. The key 4.5 keeper, the Heaton, the Butland etc.

This year Patricio is the standout. Set and forget there will score really well. Hart and Fabianski look decent too.

I'm not saying this is the best or only tactic btw. There is generally no best or only tactic for anything in FPL.

I'm just offering the counterpoint to the "why would anyone not go for a premium keeper" mystified posted earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I'm not saying this is the best or only tactic btw. There is generally no best or only tactic for anything in FPL.

I'm just offering the counterpoint to the "why would anyone not go for a premium keeper" mystified posted earlier.

I used to rotate 2 cheapies for a good few years & then about 3/4 seasons ago I just started going with the best 4.5 + 4 bench fodder as you'd miss the big points against the big teams for saves & the odd unexpected CS.

Great point re DDG being very involved for a premium GK in past season.

They're really not.

Every season. Usually around now. The key 4.5 keeper, the Heaton, the Butland etc.

This year Patricio is the standout. Set and forget there will score really well. Hart and Fabianski look decent too.
    It always looks better in heinsight IMO. Few with rotating keepers would have played Fabianski against Chelsea - 11 points. Hart against United - 10 points.

Whenever people look for rotaing pairs they look for home fixtures against struggling teams, whilebenching them against the big teams. The "easy fixtures" tend to be the games these teams will go for a win, and leave themselves overly exosed. The "tough fixtures" are the ones they make the big scores once in a while.

I used to rotate 2 cheapies for a good few years & then about 3/4 seasons ago I just started going with the best 4.5 + 4 bench fodder as you'd miss the big points against the big teams for saves & the odd unexpected CS.

Great point re DDG being very involved for a premium GK in past season.

Read a good article on it preseason. Comparing stats on average saves, save points and bonus for premium keepers vs cheaper. DDG last season was a massive outlier for a premium keeper.

Rotating two 4.5s is my least favourite option too. Reliant on a lot of luck and sure to frustrate. The penalty save or the freak 'Tom Heaton at Old Trafford" 12 saves and max bonus will invariably come in an unexpected game where you have them on the bench.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It always looks better in heinsight IMO. Few with rotating keepers would have played Fabianski against Chelsea - 11 points. Hart against United - 10 points.

Whenever people look for rotaing pairs they look for home fixtures against struggling teams, whilebenching them against the big teams. The "easy fixtures" tend to be the games these teams will go for a win, and leave themselves overly exosed. The "tough fixtures" are the ones they make the big scores once in a while.

Not talking about rotating pairs. Never mentioned it till last post a second ago.

That's the whole point. Pick and stick a good 4.5 who can get reasonable number of clean sheets. If not they should have a chance of 3 or 4 pts from save pts even against a top 4 opponent. And if they do get a CS they have a good shout of bonus pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hart will be right up there as highest pts scoring gk for as long as he keeps his place. Burnley arent very good so he will face a lot of shots, also due to the way they defend not leaving much space in behind it leads to shots from further out which will help get some easy save points. They will also be good for a reasonable amount of CS. Patricio will also be right up there. He is priced as a relegation teams keeper when infact wolves are a top 8 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Far too many ifs there for my liking just to save £1M. In the likely scenario you fail to identify him from week 1 you'll then be wasting precious transfers trying to get him in during the season, and that's provided the Patricios/Harts keep performing to the same level. I think Ederson at 5.5 at the start of this season was a bargain.

Hart will be right up there as highest pts scoring gk for as long as he keeps his place. Burnley arent very good so he will face a lot of shots, also due to the way they defend not leaving much space in behind it leads to shots from further out which will help get some easy save points. They will also be good for a reasonable amount of CS. Patricio will also be right up there. He is priced as a relegation teams keeper when infact wolves are a top 8 team.

Why did I get Fabianski on my wildcard again??? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

From my memory of playing FF for the last decade or so, rotating 4.5 keepers is usually the best way to go, rather than premium set and forget. Last year was an exception where de Gea proved his worth.

I usually start with a premium keeper as you can be sure of cleanies, but as FHFC says, around this time of the year 2 or 3 lower level teams emerge as being really capable of keeping cleanies especially at home. So WCs will usually involve going for the rotating keeper options.

Either strategy can work, but I think the 4.5 rotaters has been the favoured approach of the non-casuals for the most part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Morzadec wrote: »
    From my memory of playing FF for the last decade or so, rotating 4.5 keepers is usually the best way to go, rather than premium set and forget. Last year was an exception where de Gea proved his worth.

I usually start with a premium keeper as you can be sure of cleanies, but as FHFC says, around this time of the year 2 or 3 lower level teams emerge as being really capable of keeping cleanies especially at home. So WCs will usually involve going for the rotating keeper options.

Either strategy can work, but I think the 4.5 rotaters has been the favoured approach of the non-casuals for the most part

That's the way I usually look at it and then get a permanent a 4.5 keeper and a 4.0 to maximize the cash elsewhere on a WC after a few weeks. That's when the cheap nailed on players become evident and you can get rid of deadwood. It seems to do the trick most seasons. This season I think I started with 2 cheap 4.5's and downgraded one when I decided on the 4.5 of choice.

As mentioned a cheap 4.5 keeper has a good chance of a cleanie against poor sides at home while benefiting from save points against harder teams with the bonus of a cs in those games will bring the baps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Would it be mad to hold onto Alonso, Robertson and Trippier and add Mendy when he gets fit?
    It'd mean having 28.5 million(WanB) invested in my defenders but I'm thinking they are all great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Why did I get Fabianski on my wildcard again??? :(

I got Begovic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

COH wrote: »
    I got Begovic :(

You are not alone my friend. You are not alone :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

eagle eye wrote: »
    Would it be mad to hold onto Alonso, Robertson and Trippier and add Mendy when he gets fit?
    It'd mean having 28.5 million(WanB) invested in my defenders but I'm thinking they are all great value.

That's exactly what I'm planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have taken eye off the ball a bit lately,have Mendy sitting on my bench,should I just stick with him at this stage till he returns or get rid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Have taken eye off the ball a bit lately,have Mendy sitting on my bench,should I just stick with him at this stage till he returns or get rid?

I’m sticking with him as have serious FOMO on a points haul when he miraculously reappears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got Mendy, Robertson, Trippier, Alonso and Wan-Bissaka and going to leave it like that with some other changes in the pipeline seeming a bit more important. Mendy has only just now reached the point where the sale price would equal the price I bought him in at so reckon it will be going back into positive territory fairly soon. Don't think there is very good points potential with most of the players outside the absolute premium midfield and forwards so see better value in investing in defense so far this season.

• Advertisement

Keep him at this stage

Advertisement