Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Bisping officially retires from MMA

• 29-05-2018 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

Announced it on the “Believe You Me” podcast yesterday.

What a career in fairness. Pioneer of British MMA and of the sport in general it has to be said.

For me personally he was my favourite fighter in the sport from the day he swaggered into the TUF house right up until now. I was delighted for him when he finally managed to get his hands on the title despite possibly entering the twilight of his career at the time.

Hall of Fame surely beckons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,913 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

possibly the most likeable prick that ever entered the octagon but when it came to trash talk and winding up lads he was second to none.
    quick witted and nothing had to be rehearsed, just a smart lad.

I'll never forget the way he taunted rock though, it was legendary and so funny that he somehow beat rock who totally over looked bisping.
    Ok, I guessed he may have milked it a bit too much though :pac:

I can't think of another fighter I wanted to see win that belt yet could never have seen it coming.

always game, always clean and cardio for days, was everything you like to see in a fighter all round, nothing but respect for mike as a fighter.

you could count the number of boring fights he was in on one hand (kennedy comes to mind)

hoped he'd have one more but glad he's decided to call it a day also, really wanted him to avenge the vitor loss myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Very worrying the way hes talking about getting flashes of light in his "Good" eye. The mans a legened. Always done in by cheaters, delighted he won the belt and delighted hes retired. What a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Found a decent highlight video.

Few fights of his definitely worth rewatching.

https://youtu.be/KmypHKxzZJA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

What a legend HOF bound, delighted to see him fight in Manchester and enjoy that song 2 entrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm happy to see that he has been clever enough to call it a day and not risk further serious injury.

A great character, a warrior of a fighter and a sure thing for a place in the hall of fame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love Bisping and will miss him but i am delighted he his hanging up the gloves as he has nothing else to prove.

The night he won the belt is my favorite moment in mma.

I will enjoy listening to him as an analyst now and his podcast believe you me. He also recently said on his podcast that he might be going into commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The night he won the belt and then proceeded to needle Rockhold at the press conference was one of my favourite MMA moments. I was up out of my seat for the KO and thoroughly laughed as Rockhold got verbally trolled afterwards :pac:

Loved Bisping and hope his eyes don't become worse now that he is retried.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ASOT wrote: »
    Very worrying the way hes talking about getting flashes of light in his "Good" eye. The mans a legened. Always done in by cheaters, delighted he won the belt and delighted hes retired. What a career.

He wasn't above the old cheating himself though, or being able to take a taste of his own trash talking medicine. As a nearly there fighter I was glad when he finally won the belt championship win, but I still think he's a classless fool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What a career. Glad he won the title at one point. I also find it funny that people generally see him as a lovable rogue now. I remember I was in a small minority of posters who like him here years ago. He was really disliked by most people in his early career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

He wasn't above the old cheating himself though, or being able to take a taste of his own trash talking medicine. As a nearly there fighter I was glad when he finally won the belt championship win, but I still think he's a classless fool

By cheating I mean every time he got close to getting a title shot he was always beaten by someone either onTRT or something else. Can understand alot dont like him though so can see your points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor wrote: »
    What a career. Glad he won the title at one point. I also find it funny that people generally see him as a lovable rogue now. I remember I was in a small minority of posters who like him here years ago. He was really disliked by most people in his early career.

With you on that

02-12-2011, 16:24
    So much hate for Bisping. I think the guy is funny as hell and a really great fighter. He's done very well for himself from TUF:3. Can't wait to see him fight and I'm rooting for him anyways.

Glad to see him pack it in. He's done everything that he ever could have hoped

you are right and rivero paid the price for this one, don't remember seeing bisping as angry against anyone
    I thought the hendo ko brought him down a notch though (i might be wrong on this) as did some of the other defeats, otherwise had he been in anderson silvas class early in his career he would have been unbearable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvjHn7oGX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4oPQ2fAwI8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Knocking Rockhold on his arse on a weeks notice was a beautiful MMA moment.

He is a proper character and he is a solid pundit as well. Right call at the right time.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

mailburner wrote: »
    you are right and rivero paid the price for this one, don't remember seeing bisping as angry against anyone
    I thought the hendo ko brought him down a notch though (i might be wrong on this) as did some of the other defeats, otherwise had he been in anderson silvas class early in his career he would have been unbearable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvjHn7oGX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4oPQ2fAwI8
    He sure did, he should never have agreed to continue the fight either after taking a knee like that

He sure did, he should never have agreed to continue the fight either after taking a knee like that
    He wouldn't have achieved anything though. If he said he can't continue, it's a no-contest.

Jorge was a journeyman. No point protecting a record. Makes more financial sense to continue with the glimmer of win purse, than to take a NC for show money.

Mellor wrote: »
    He wouldn't have achieved anything though. If he said he can't continue, it's a no-contest.

Jorge was a journeyman. No point protecting a record. Makes more financial sense to continue with the glimmer of win purse, than to take a NC for show money.

Isn't it only a no contest if it's an accidental strike?

And I don't know if it makes financial sense either, a beating and a loss will cost more in hospital bills than a NC, than taking a large risk on a win after getting hit like that

Isn't it only a no contest if it's an accidental strike?
    Only a DQ if it was an intentionally illegal strike. Which isn't the same as intentionally throwing the knee, which ended up being illegal. Once he asks Jorge if he can continue, chances are he isn't considering the DQ.

And I don't know if it makes financial sense either, a beating and a loss will cost more in hospital bills than a NC, than taking a large risk on a win after getting hit like that
    Medical bills would be covered by fighter insurance Zuffa had at that time.
    I dont think fighters living fight purse to fight purse would be thinking like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone saying anything bad about Bisping should be site banned IMO. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭flatty

Genuine question. Would he have made enough cash to retire?

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnlc84g47s

bisping doc

find myself watching a lot of bisping related stuff on youtube now, makes you appreciate him even more

no matter how many time I watch him taunt rockhold It still brings a smile to my face, jason parillo comes across as a genius in saying he knew it would happen

bottom line is simple though, luke completely overlooked bisbing imo and it has probably more or less ended his career

flatty wrote: »

multi millionaire...without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Easily should have enough if he was smart with it.

- Disclosed fight purses are over $7m,
    - PPV against GSP should have paid him a few million on it's own
    - Sponsorship earnings
    - Job with Fox (I'd guess he'll be kept on with ESPN as he's good at it)

He's behind only Conor in terms of fight purses.
    Others like GSP and Silva would have earned more PPVs, but Bisping is up there

Advertisement