Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of warm humid weather on baby's sleep?

• 29-05-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a 3 month old, our first, and for the past two nights he hasn't been able to settle or go to sleep after our usual bedtime routine at 8pm (bath and then some songs). He's fine until the final, in bed feed takes place (as I'm finishing up on the guitar) but then has just started fidgeting, moaning and is really, really not in the mood to sleep, which he usually does in the bed between us (we're trying to introduce the cot but with little luck so far!). So both on Sunday night and Monday night it took enduring a lot of hysterical crying before he finally got to sleep coming up to 11pm.

He's also been very fidgety during the night and although he rarely slept more than three or four hours in a row in the past, he's definitely waking up every two hours for the past two nights.

All we can think that's changed is this damn fine weather :cool: even leaving all the upstairs windows open last night, there was no real breeze and our bedroom temperature ranged from a high of 24.5 to a low of 23 during the night, which is crazy warm. Gonna buy a fan today but does my reasoning on his unsettled behaviour make sense to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have a 3 month old, our first, and for the past two nights he hasn't been able to settle or go to sleep after our usual bedtime routine at 8pm (bath and then some songs). He's fine until the final, in bed feed takes place (as I'm finishing up on the guitar) but then has just started fidgeting, moaning and is really, really not in the mood to sleep, which he usually does in the bed between us (we're trying to introduce the cot but with little luck so far!). So both on Sunday night and Monday night it took enduring a lot of hysterical crying before he finally got to sleep coming up to 11pm.

He's also been very fidgety during the night and although he rarely slept more than three or four hours in a row in the past, he's definitely waking up every two hours for the past two nights.

All we can think that's changed is this damn fine weather :cool: even leaving all the upstairs windows open last night, there was no real breeze and our bedroom temperature ranged from a high of 24.5 to a low of 23 during the night, which is crazy warm. Gonna buy a fan today but does my reasoning on his unsettled behaviour make sense to anyone else?

Yes that’s very hot in the bedroom! Are you putting him to sleep in just his nappy? He will also be very warm sleeping between you both... may be a good time to transition to cot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My 5 month old is the same. He doesn’t stop moving all night and I can’t seem to cool our bedroom down. Leaving the curtains closed today to see if that helps (south facing room).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

3 months is an age of big changes too, so it may be partly that.There is a big sleep regression there, round four months but I know it started about 13 weeks with our first.
    But it's true, the heat doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I would say he has a whole host of things going on, he's at the right wrong age.

So the heat could be bothering him (I'd put him in a light vest/onsie, I'd be afraid that he'd get a bit chilly in just a nappy) is he still in a Moses basket or side cot? If he's sleeping in the bed with ye then he's probably way too warm. If he's still in Moses basket or similar, could he be a bit on the big side for it? I know my little girl, when she got to big for the Moses basket used to wake herself up as she moved around from hitting her hands off the side. As soon as we put her in the cot she started sleeping way better.

There's a leap coming around now ( have a look at the wonder years app)

And could he be starting to teeth? My girl started at around 9/10 weeks and the evenings used to be the worst with her. We used to give her some (teetha) gel and when she was older a sachet of the granules and it sorted it all out. However, the age recommendation that teetha products can be given has changed since 2016, so if you think he might be teething speak to a pharmacist and see if there's anything you can give. At that age my girl has red gums (and something else that I can't remember now) but she didn't drool till she was a bit older and never had a temp with teething.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We have a fan running in the room at night. We open the window during the day but keep the curtains closed to stop more heat piling into the room. Our little one has her night nappy and a vest on, nothing else. She sleeps up to 10 hours a night uninterrupted. We monitor the temps as well and she's happy out. She's amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

You lucky so-and-so ;) Bought a fan earlier in the week and it seems to have helped; the additional 'white noise' is probably helpful too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We are the same with the open windows and curtains. Bless it must be so hard for them, the first few nights were horrible we ended up moving her into a cot in our own room as tis cooler at that side of the house, was very tempted to move her into the bathroom as it was cooler but the cot would not fit.. The gro egg I must say has been great in this weather you can see how hot the room is

Advertisement