Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching Homeowners to buy a site

Options
  • 29-05-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any advice of approaching homeowners (unsolicited) about buying land?

There’s a row of houses which have Mews’s built at the end of the garden (accessed off a rear lane) that I would like to approach to see if they would be willing to sell. I am sure they have all considered it already as their neighbors have previously sold this same land at the end of their own gardens which has been built upon.

I was thinking of writing a letter, introducing myself, outlining how I would like to construct a family home etc .. ie not a developer trying to cash in on the land. And suggesting they contact me if they are interested, potentially there is around 8 house with nothing built/garages at the end of their gardens.

Would it be prudent to have discussed the potential value of the land with a valuer prior to even approaching the home owners?

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this in that past or been approached themselves and any advice you might have. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Always worth a try but from landowners perspective, it probably matters little if the cash they get comes from you or a 'developer'.

Planning permission can never be taken for granted in situations like this. If you are infilling, the neighbours who have already built their houses on either side may well object (loss of light etc). First in, best dressed seems to apply in these circumstances.

Advertisement