Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord requesting proof of salary

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

But in this case it's ridiculous as it's a rent a room and not a tenancy.

If they pay a month deposit and first month's rent, what is the financial risk that is mitigated by knowing the salary? If they don't pay the rent you turf them out and deduct unpaid balance from deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Browney7 wrote: »
    But in this case it's ridiculous as it's a rent a room and not a tenancy.

If they pay a month deposit and first month's rent, what is the financial risk that is mitigated by knowing the salary? If they don't pay the rent you turf them out and deduct unpaid balance from deposit

Ridiculous as it may seem, it's their game so their rules. As others have stated, if op doesn't want to show the slip, then he probably won't get the room.

There is another thread going where a licensee does not want to move out so "turfing" someone out may not be as straightforward as you might think.

davo10 wrote: »
    Ridiculous as it may seem, it's their game so their rules. As others have stated, if op doesn't want to show the slip, then he probably won't get the room.

There is another thread going where a licensee does not want to move out so "turfing" someone out may not be as straightforward as you might think.

From the nature of posts on here down through the years you can give them "reasonable notice" and "put their stuff in black bags if they're not gone" so seems pretty straight forward to me to be honest. Being a licensee carrys enough crap (having to go to the small claims court if the deposit not being returned is another one). The property owner/real landlord is trying to engineer a situation where he doesn't have tenancies here by putting in a family member as is his right.

I pointed out earlier they are free to ask for it and again I'd be explaining "I've a job in X company, here's the first month rent and cash deposit". If that's not enough for them grand, find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Here in the US it is customary for a credit check to be run before allowing a tenant to rent. It does not include your actual income, but it is a much better indicator of whether a person can be trusted to pay their bills. Ireland needs a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ELM327 wrote: »
    They can request to view what they want.
    Under GDPR then they can't retain the data. Doesn't impact the fact they can freely request to view it, and you are free to comply (or not) with the request. If it's an "or not" then you may not get the property.

Payslip information is not information that a landlord has the rights to request. And i would gather not a single one of the landlords in this thread comply with data retention laws at all. In fact most of the agencys are dire in the same thread.

Its amateur hour for an amateur industry in this country.

Its actually hilarious how poor the industry is here in comparison to the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Plenty of us don't request this sort of information. Would you not be better simply moving on?

The sister really cant handle that information tbh, and yes GDPR and data protection does apply. You should tell her you will send it on to the Landlord direct if you are comfortable with the request

if not, dont because they really should not be asking for it.

Its amateur hour under the guise of protecting themselves.

Do any of these folks understand a GDPR consent form ? how about how they would handle a GDPR Data request ?

im not using this new law as a stick to beat people with but its quite clear most of the landlords here down have a breeze how data is like cash these days and how they handle it is utterly important.

listermint wrote: »
    The sister really cant handle that information tbh, and yes GDPR and data protection does apply. You should tell her you will send it on to the Landlord direct if you are comfortable with the request

if not, dont because they really should not be asking for it.

Its amateur hour under the guise of protecting themselves.

RAR is by definition amateur hour and should be left as such. It's all well and good harping on about GDPR etc. but these are amateurs renting rooms because the money outweighs the hassle. Mess with that balance at the peril of supply. I assume the OP hasn't got €1500 a month to rent a one bed where she's be handing over bank statements as well.

RAR is by definition amateur hour and should be left as such. It's all well and good harping on about GDPR etc. but these are amateurs renting rooms because the money outweighs the hassle. Mess with that balance at the peril of supply. I assume the OP hasn't got €1500 a month to rent a one bed where she's be handing over bank statements as well.

The old adage of we supply a service therefore should be left alone is just not going to cut it anymore.

We have seen continious posts on here in the similar vane over the last number of years.

If you are in business of renting a house or apartment or commercial letting and taking cash from customers for that purpose then you are liable under GDPR and you should really educate yourself. Because 1 tenant can bring a whole world of pain on top of you. This is EU regulation and not the Irish government flexing their muscles on top of poor landlord again.

Its data , its data protection its personal information.

So get with the program its no longer an out of hand request and send the tenant on their merry way.

• Advertisement

The old adage of we supply a service therefore should be left alone is just not going to cut it anymore.

The HUGE and growing issue with housing for people disagrees with you.

Until there is a proper credit referencing system in Ireland where a court Judgement fecks your credit like it does in the UK and US this will continue to be a problem.

While I agree it's OTT in a RAR situation, harping on about wanting more regulation in this space will only do one thing, put people off doing it.

The HUGE and growing issue with housing for people disagrees with you. I'm going with the national issue rather than one person's data protection crusade.

Until there is a proper credit referencing system in Ireland where a court Judgement fecks your credit like it does in the UK and US this will continue to be a problem.

While I agree it's OTT in a RAR situation, harping on about wanting more regulation in this space will only do one thing, put people off doing it.

I dont want more regulation, Im trying to explain that it is here and its here in full since last Friday.

So Landlords should really review that to make sure they are actually setup for it. Asking for payslips via your sister just doesnt cut it anymore.

More cop on is required. Legally and 'self-preservingly' from a landlords perspective.

Edited. Sorry wasn't meant to sound personal.

To clarify I'm not in Canada, I'm in Dublin.
    I don't mind providing a letter from work with a total round salary on it to the OWNER of the apartment. However, its the owners sister who lives in the apartment and she has requested me send it to her to forward to her sister. Obviously me sending it directly to the landlord probably makes no difference as the sister can still find out.

OP, do you realise you won't be a tenant in this arrangement as the sister is living there and you'll be a licensee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Payslip information is not information that a landlord has the rights to request. And i would gather not a single one of the landlords in this thread comply with data retention laws at all. In fact most of the agencys are dire in the same thread.

Its amateur hour for an amateur industry in this country.

Its actually hilarious how poor the industry is here in comparison to the continent.

Listermint, while I am loathe to ever quote or link to the Threshold website, they are notoriously pro tenant. But even Threshold confirm that a landlord can request a payslip.

Maybe you would post the basis on which you state that LLs have no right to ask for payslip.

Also, data protection laws apply to information which is retained by the person/company requesting/storing it. If the Landlord requests a payslip, views it and then hands it back to the tenant, therefore not retaining it, I can't see how there would be a data protection issue.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/

By the way, I'm pretty sure I comply with data protection laws, the only personal info I have is that which is necessary to register the tenancy with the RTB, so you found one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

davo10 wrote: »
    Listermint, while I am loathe to ever quote or link to the Threshold website, they are notoriously pro tenant. But even Threshold confirm that a landlord can request a payslip.

Maybe you would post the basis on which you state that LLs have no right to ask for payslip.

Also, data protection laws apply to information which is retained by the person/company requesting/storing it. If the Landlord requests a payslip, views it and then hands it back to the tenant, therefore not retaining it, I can't see how there would be a data protection issue.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/

By the way, I'm pretty sure I comply with data protection laws, the only personal info I have is that which is necessary to register the tenancy with the RTB, so you found one.

GDPR is about 'processing' personal data. The definition of processing (Article 4, GDPR) includes 'consultation' and 'use' of personal data. Arguably the landlord is consulting and using the prospective tenant's personal data by requesting it.
    Someone else mentioned consent. A prospective tenant being told or having the perception that they won't get a room if they don't supply personal data does not meet valid consent for GDPR. A landlord would be better to cite their 'legitimate interests' (ie making sure the person can afford the rent) as the legal basis for asking for personal data. You don't always need consent (Article 6 applies). And then deleting/handing back to the person their data once their ability to pay has been verified.

Advertisement