Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ombudsman case - What information am I entitled to receive from Insurance company

• 29-05-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi All -
    I have been in a 6 year dispute with an Insurance company. The case is currently in mediation but looking unlikely to be resolved.

I expect the case, therefore, to go to the Ombudsman for deliberation.

I have received certain official correspondence, specific to my case, from the insurance company but also know the insurance company has been dealing with numerous other companies, solicitors, Engineers and Geologists etc. I would also like to request to see this correspondence.

The Insurance company should act fairly and their experts should act impartially at all times, I don't believe that they have been acting in our best interest and would like to see how they have corresponded with the various experts and other 3rd party companies in relation to our case.

Just wondering, therefore,whether I am entitled to request copies from the Insurance company of :
    (1) internal e-mails/ correspondence between them and other 3rd parties
    (2) Of phone calls recordings, in relation to their correspondence to other parties in relation to my case?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No you wouldn't be. You could put in data request but I would you won't see much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

782378 wrote: »
    The Insurance company should act fairly and their experts should act impartially at all times, I don't believe that they have been acting in our best interest and would like to see how they have corresponded with the various experts and other 3rd party companies in relation to our case.

Total nonsense, the insurance company can and should act in its best interests and those of its shareholders. Likewise advisors and experts engage by the insurance company are expected to act in the best interests of their clients. They owe you nothing beyond meeting their legal obligations.

To get access to the kind of documents you are asking about requires a discovery order as it impacts the company’s defense case. And courts do not grant such orders for you to go on a fishing trip as you described.

Advertisement