Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Martin Nests & Sparrows.

Options
  • 29-05-2018 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Two questions: First one is a group of 3 house martins started constructing a nest above the windows upstairs. They got as far as creating a 5-7 spread out, 1inch sized mud clumps. My dad decided he didn't want them building there so he got a brush and removed the clumps. While doing so the Martins swooped close to him but were too afraid to actually get closer. They've since abandoned trying to build a nest there.

My question is, will they be able to move elsewhere and construct another nest or are they in trouble now? Seems like they were late to the party.

Second question is: There's a fully formed Martin nest on the side of my house beneath the gutter. I've been watching them come and go but occasionally I've seen a Sparrow go into the nest or hang around above it on the gutter. That was yesterday but today the martins are back occupying the nest. 
    How likely is it that the Sparrow will attack the nest with the birds in it? Can the Martins defend against Sparrows or are they too weak?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say the sparrows are harmless enough, I seem to remember reading somewhere that sparrows can end up "sharing" accommodation with other birds (I don't think they were martins, or swallows, though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home is right about the House Sparrows and they may even nest in it before the House Martins return next year.

The House Martins at your Dad's will build elsewhere. Technically what he did in destroying the nests was illegal but no real harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ledhead59

Just noticed 2 House Martin nests have been totally damaged this morning. Sad to see as it's been a few years since they were last here. I noticed a dead house Martin on the ground. What could have happened?? Does anyone know? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was quite windy yesterday, could that have been a factor?

Advertisement