Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband, EIR and AP

Options
  • 29-05-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me at all.

I have eFibre at home (works really well) with the standard F2000 router.

I have ran a network cable from my office (where the F2000) lives up through the attic and dropped it down into the kitchen where i have connected it to an old Netgear router (DGND3700). I have set the Netgear router into AP mode and connected the network cable coming into in into one of the LAN ports. I have set the SSID for the Netgear router to be the same as the F2000 router and the passwords are also the same. This allows me to effectively "extend" the range of my wifi around the entire house. I have then plugged a Sonos 5 player directly into the Netgear router in the kitchen. Everything is working fine except for 1 thing.

My iPhone6s.

If I log into the F2000 control page I can see that all devices connected to the network via the Netgear Access Point are listed as Ethernet connections and anything connected via the F2000 is listed as wireless. If I take my wifes iPhone6 or my daughters iPad and wander from one device to the other I can see the control page updating as they move between devices all the while maintaining their connectivity and IP adresses flawlessly.

My iPhones6s doesn't behave so well. If I connect to the F2000 and then move towards the Netgear AP I can see the IP adress for my phone moving on the F2000 control page but my iPhone loses it's IP address and selects an address of the type 169.254.x.x (which indicates a DHCP issue of some sort). This address means I can't access the internet or my Sonos speaker or anything. It's only happening on my phone. It works sometimes but fails most of the time. I reset the network information on my phone out of frustration at 4am this morning but to my dismay it fixed nothing.

I have no idea what's happening and why only to me. I've inspected the set up on my wifes phone compared to mine and they are identical.

It's baffling. Any help would truly be appreciated. I was considering buying a newer AP today but when I saw that it works for every other device but mine I stopped as I fear I'd continue to have the same problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it an American iPhone perhaps?

Either way if the AP is set to CH12 or CH13 or AUTO then set it to something below 11 and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PatsyJ

ED E wrote: »
    Is it an American iPhone perhaps?

Either way if the AP is set to CH12 or CH13 or AUTO then set it to something below 11 and see if that works.

No, it's just a plain old Irish iPhone6s. The AP channel is set to 1, so that's not the problem and, as I said, the other devices work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

PatsyJ wrote: »
    No, it's just a plain old Irish iPhone6s. The AP channel is set to 1, so that's not the problem and, as I said, the other devices work fine.

If you think it's a DHCP problem try giving the iPhone a static IP.

http://ubntek.com/iphonestaticip/

edit:

Another option would be to use DHCP reservation in the F2000. It's found under Home Network > LAN Interface

If you think it's a DHCP problem try giving the iPhone a static IP.

edit:

Another option would be to use DHCP reservation in the F2000. It's found under Home Network > LAN Interface

Yep, tried all that and more. And now I've noticed that the other apple phones are doing the same thing. I asked the IT guys at work about it and the 1st thing they said was to buy a real phone..... Not much help tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yep, tried all that and more. And now I've noticed that the other apple phones are doing the same thing. I asked the IT guys at work about it and the 1st thing they said was to buy a real phone..... Not much help tbh.

You don't happen to have, or perhaps could borrow, another router to use as an AP to see if the issue goes away? It would be cheaper than replacing the phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have you made sure, that your iPhone is on the latest iOS?

If that doesn't help, I would change the SSID of one of the routers. Or at least change the SSID on the 5GHz signal of the F2000.

iOS has weird behaviour. I've seen that also with dual band routers, where both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz have the same SSID. It connects to all networks at the same time, gets confused and disconnects.

I could nearly imagine, that's what happening there. Could even be trying to connect with 5 GHz on the F2000 and 2.4GHz on the Netgear at the same time. It's a commonly known issue with Apple devices.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Lol, smart asses! I was recently in the network department of a comms company and a visitor was looking for an iPhone charger. Tumbleweed.... Not a single person in there was an iPhone user.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Lol, smart asses! I was recently in the network department of a comms company and a visitor was looking for an iPhone charger. Tumbleweed.... Not a single person in there was an iPhone user.

They remember the iOS broadcast storms.

Marlow wrote: »
    Have you made sure, that your iPhone is on the latest iOS?

If that doesn't help, I would change the SSID of one of the routers. Or at least change the SSID on the 5GHz signal of the F2000.

iOS has weird behaviour. I've seen that also with dual band routers, where both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz have the same SSID. It connects to all networks at the same time, gets confused and disconnects.

I could nearly imagine, that's what happening there. Could even be trying to connect with 5 GHz on the F2000 and 2.4GHz on the Netgear at the same time. It's a commonly known issue with Apple devices.

/M

In the base router is have the 2.4GHz SSID and the 5.0GHz SSID both broadcasting but in the AP I only have the 5.0GHz SSID broadcasting. The 2.4 and the 5.0 SSIDs are different. I'm just using the 2.4 one myself as the roaming between the router and AP on the 5.0 SSID is simply too unpredictable. The 5.0 SSID is the same on both the AP and the router.

I've no idea what the problem is and it's really annoying. It's all set up properly as far as I can tell.

I wonder if anyone has seen this problem since I made the original post?

• Advertisement
Advertisement