Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for postgraduation course after doing a social care degree?

Options
  • 29-05-2018 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a 2.1 degree in social care and
    I am 50. I did my degree as a mature student.
    If i was to do a post graduation course, what would be the best to boost my career prospects?
    I work in the area of disability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What do you want to do with your career? If you have a degree in social care then you are a qualified social care worker. So you could either work to become a house leader in a residential setting (often that comes with experience more than qualifications) or move into something like social work, which would require at least 2 years full time study to get your national qualification in social work.

You could do something like the masters in disability & rehabilitation in UCD or the masters in disability studies in TCD. Likewise there are a number of postgrad diplomas and certificates available through NUI Maynooth and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Do you mind me asking what is the main difference between a phd and a masters?
    Appart from the thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

pmrc wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what is the main difference between a phd and a masters?
    Appart from the thesis.

Both qualifications would usually involve a thesis. Some Masters degrees would involve either a dissertation (thesis) or some sort of research project work/placement. A PhD is Level 10 on the National Framework of Qualifications. There is no qualification higher than a PhD and this degree would usually be sought after by those who want to lecture in a particular field or work in senior roles in policy etc. TBH having a Masters is enough in most instances! The big question is whether you want to lecture at university level or not. If you do then do the PhD, if you don't then f' that.

Advertisement