Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Is all the talk about Bobby some kind of wind up?!

He's missed one game in two seasons due to injury, gave 27 goals and 17 assists in all comps last year, he works tirelessly for the team - remember someone's post last month about all the tackles he's won compared to other 'big name' forwards - and he's selfless when it comes to taking glory or passing to ensure we get the goal. He's also a decent skin (silly tattoos aside), great hair, popular member of the team and embodies everything Klopp wants in terms of commitment on the pitch and being a decent human being off the pitch. He understands Klopp's philosophy and has proven hands down that he can put it into practice and he's just signed a new 5yr contract, so he's going no where.

Jeez, enough already!

Yes is the answer!

He's been a revelation this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

mosstin wrote: »
    That went viral a couple of years ago.

I knew I heard it but did not know when

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fekir would be a fine signing but I'm hopeful we pull another rabbit out of the hat and sign somebody else that's not really been on the radar but a fine signing nonetheless.
    A keeper really is going to cost us, Courtois to Atletico after Oblak comes here would be very nice.
    Henderson is going no where and rightly so. Given a bit more freedom I fully expect him to gave a better season next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'd be telling a lie if i said i'm not worried Madrid will come looking for Klopp.
    Seeing as it has'nt been discussed on here i take it no-one else is at all worried?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Not really, personally. Klopp likes to build a team and develop players, not buy 11 Galacticos worth ~100 million each.
    I think he's perfect for Liverpool to be honest. I read recently that he had planned to take a year out after leaving Dortmund but when Liverpool came he couldn't say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’d be more surprised if Fekir signed for us at this stage than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd be telling a lie if i said i'm not worried Madrid will come looking for Klopp.
    Seeing as it has'nt been discussed on here i take it no-one else is at all worried?!

I'm not here to troll but surely Klopps record in terms of finals wouldn't be to the Madrid standard? He could win the Copa and Lose League/CL and probably get sacked. It's a suicide job tbh.

He suits Liverpool much better building them up imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

eyerer wrote: »
    Not really, personally. Klopp likes to build a team and develop players, not buy 11 Galacticos worth ~100 million each.
    I think he's perfect for Liverpool to be honest. I read recently that he had planned to take a year out after leaving Dortmund but when Liverpool came he couldn't say no.

I think he name dropped Madrid and utd as some of the teams he could have gone to but choose not to, i just hope they stay well clear of our players and our manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He'd want to be off his trolley. It's the complete opposite of what he looks for in a club.

No freedom. No control. No patience. No buy in.

I wouldn't argue Klopp would never leave but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to go to Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a chance he'd be interested, it would be like taking over a psychotic version of Bayern Munich. They want Poch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I'm not here to troll but surely Klopps record in terms of finals wouldn't be to the Madrid standard? He could win the Copa and Lose League/CL and probably get sacked. It's a suicide job tbh.

Wouldn't think so sure poch is also being linked!

Agree he be mad to take it at this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I guess it depends how superficially Real looked at that... I mean, every other final he’s lost he’s been an underdog to better/more experienced teams. With Real obviously he’d be favourite - just a different kettle of fish.

Not worried anyway though, just not the type of job he seems to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm not here to troll but surely Klopps record in terms of finals wouldn't be to the Madrid standard?

You don't think he couldn't win finals with that squad?

Himself and Real seem diamatrically opposed in a lot of ways though. He's all about the team unit and hard work. They are all about the individual superstars. Seems like an odd fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Munich making a bid for Fekir!!

Wouldn't surprise me....the longer the link has gone on without anyone in particular saying anything, the more dubious I've been about getting it.

Might be on my own on this one but got a distinct smell of agent planting the story to weed out interest else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Am I the only one not too fussed about fekir, surely there are better options out there especailly with wc season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Do people really know enough about him? I sure don't. I sort of have faith in Klopp though, so if he wants him, then we should just go for it.

Know nothing about him, or the lad we bought last week. Or keita either .... only seen them play in the CL and never took any notice of them TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Do people really know enough about him? I sure don't. I sort of have faith in Klopp though, so if he wants him, then we should just go for it.

Well it looks like klopp and the scouting team are working wonders at the moment !!

Mane , Salah , VVD , Gini , Ox , Robertson , Karius , Solanke, Klavan , Matip. This group of players is really showing that the transfers are working at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well it looks like klopp and the scouting team are working wonders at the moment !!

Mane , Salah , VVD , Gini , Ox , Robertson , Karius , Solanke, Klavan , Matip. This group of players is really showing that the transfers are working at the club.

Here's a list of ins and outs over the last few seasons.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31#subnavi

If I'm reading that right Klopp has a net spend of €95m (or thereabouts) since coming in and that's including Kieta and Fabhino.

Also looking at some of the names further down the list shows how far we've actually come.

A few years ago LFC buying a squad player (ox) for €/£40m was a pipe dream.

We've benefited hugely from the rising tide of TV money & selling coutinho for a staggering fee.

If we do get a keeper and an actual Co u tin Ho replacement or a front 3 player capable of getting into the 1st 11 our net spend will change drastically....at this current point in time it looks fantastic, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    A few years ago LFC buying a squad player (ox) for £40m was a pipe dream.

We've benefited hugely from the rising tide of TV money & selling coutinho for a staggering fee.

If we do get a keeper and an actual Co u tin Ho replacement or a front 3 player capable of getting into the 1st 11 our net spend will change drastically....at this current point in time it looks fantastic, no doubt.

As long as we can hold onto our best players well be well in the positive on net spend from now on.

FSG have done a very good job of stabilising the club and allowing it to stand on its own feet.

I 100% agree, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

About the Hendo debate, I do understand where the flack is coming from. He does seem to be quite conservative at times with all the back and side passes, but he is playing out of position too. Higher up the pitch he's energy is good at putting the opposition under pressure. Having a DM coming in will allow Hendo to go forward more and generally allow our midfield to run rampant. I think that was an issue at times for us. We need a strong DM to stamp out play and since Lucas and Gerrard we haven't had much success here. 
    I don't think Hendo's going anywhere and although he could be more vocal in games, he's a decent enough captain. If Milner doesn't stay then I guess Virgil will be the vice-captain next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Augeo wrote: »
    A few years ago LFC buying a squad player (ox) for £40m was a pipe dream.

As long as we can hold onto our best players well be well in the positive on net spend from now on.

FSG have done a very good job of stabilising the club and allowing it to stand on its own feet.
    I think this is actually the biggest plus over the last few seasons that a lot of us haven't fully appreciated yet. Never mind what position we are in the league, what cup we should have won or players we should have got. It's about making the club more stable and can essentially support itself - long term strategy. Expanding the stadium was an example of this, getting the right manager and giving him time, saying no to Barca a couple of times until they met our price, etc. Now I want to see our marketing go into overdrive and get loads of deals and sponsorship done on top of this. Keep the money flowing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder id Klopp off on holiday or is he still around Liverpool at the moment.

If he is a round it would be a nice time to accidentally bump into Alisson at Anfield and suss things out with a nice friendly chat and hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I wonder id Klopp off on holiday or is he still around Liverpool at the moment.

If he is a round it would be a nice time to accidentally bump into Alisson at Anfield and suss things out with a nice friendly chat and hug.

"Good chat, Alisson, see you around some time. I'm just going to leave you off here, in what we've just recently renamed the Blackpool Lounge, which just so happens to be presently occupied by a baker's dozen of 19 year old Ukrainian pole-dancers we like to call 'The Rollercoaster'. Just put the door on the latch on your way out. Cheerio!"

corwill wrote: »
    "Good chat, Alisson, see you around some time. I'm just going to leave you off here, in what we've just recently renamed the Blackpool Lounge, which just so happens to be presently occupied by a baker's dozen of 19 year old Ukrainian pole-dancers we like to call 'The Rollercoaster'. Just put the door on the latch on your way out. Cheerio!"

Is it me, or does this seem pretty creepy?

Is it me, or does this seem pretty creepy?

Report it if you have a problem, Moist.

Hey, I was just pointing out that it was slightly creepy. No need to bicker over it :)

• Advertisement

Hey, I was just pointing out that it was slightly creepy. No need to bicker over it :)

Hmmm, I don't know, Moist. I think you might be trying to force me off the thread!😲

Hmmm, I don't know, Moist. I think you might be trying to force me off the thread!��

lol not in the slightest, I find a lot of your posts very illuminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought when we played Roma that Alison was fairly shyte tbh, there's no way I'd be paying 50M+ for him.

I feel like there has to be better value out there as far as keepers go.

lol not in the slightest, I find a lot of your posts very illuminating.

Best buds, wha'?

giphy.webp

I really Like Alisson and would have no problem with the club breaking the world record fee for a keeper to get him same goes for Olbak.

Or we could go for Hart, Butland, Forster, Pope proven PL players.

• Advertisement

Best buds, wha'?

giphy.webp

Well, it could be said we got off on the wrong foot but I hold no ill will, it's simply not in my nature.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I thought when we played Roma that Alison was fairly shyte tbh, there's no way I'd be paying 50M+ for him.

Yeah, have to say he didn't really impress over 2 legs against us. As against that, our front 3 make plenty of good defenders and keepers look like mugs. We'll see a fair bit of him in Russia shortly.

I really Like Alisson and would have no problem with the club breaking the world record fee for a keeper to get him same goes for Olbak.

Or we could go for Hart, Butland, Forster, Pope proven PL players.

Forster wouldn't a terrible signing for the right price. I would like if we aimed a bit higher of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Said the 19 year old Ukrainian :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Said the 19 year old Ukrainian :pac:

"No hands!" "You're mixing me up with Loris, luv."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Forster wouldn't a terrible signing for the right price. I would like if we aimed a bit higher of course.

Am I missing something???? Forster is sh1te, he's worse than karius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have no opinion on Oblak as I've not seen too much of him.

I'd certainly go down the proven PL player route and have no problem taking a punt on Pope or even Heaton.

He had a bad season for sure but he's shown in the past that he is at least competent.

He's gone a long way back from his first season or so at Southampton, when he seemed very promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I know we have a history of buying Southampton players, but I really don’t think the answer to our goalkeeping problem is their backup keeper! Forster was dropped for a reason ie: he is sh1te.

In the PL there is DeGea (who we can’t get), Courtois (who we probably can’t get) and then a whole heap of goalkeepers that are probably no better than Karius is or could become. We really need to look outside the PL for a keeper.

I don’t see how Alisson was poor in the CL SF. He dropped one cross and was solid other than that. He’s had a great season in Italy. Him or Oblak and the position is set for 10 years. It’s worth the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Quick question for the folks that have strong opinions on Allison and Oblak and know what they're talking about - any views on what either of them are like in terms of organising the defense, being vocal, being leaders at the back that gives their defense confidence that the goalie knows what they are up to and don't have the Mig 'rabbit in the headlights' look about them?

Just thinking that if we can get a goalie like that, coupled with VVD's leadership and cool as fcuk demeanour, then that's what we should be looking for, and to echo Agent C's post, no problem with breaking records to get the right man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Regarding a keeper “premier league proven” can **** right off. Oblak and Allinson or that ac Milan keeper is all I will accept as the new keeper this year. I demand we spend 60 million plus on said keeper. we have never had a consistently good stopper in goal. We need an international that is used to pressure who is mentally strong. No keeper in the premier league falls in to that bracket.
    If we can’t get any of the above I would sign Buffon for a year and then get one of the keepers above the next year

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Quick question for the folks that have strong opinions on Allison and Oblak and know what they're talking about - any views on what either of them are like in terms of organising the defense, being vocal, being leaders at the back that gives their defense confidence that the goalie knows what they are up to and don't have the Mig 'rabbit in the headlights' look about them?

Just thinking that if we can get a goalie like that, coupled with VVD's leadership and cool as fcuk demeanour, then that's what we should be looking for, and to echo Agent C's post, no problem with breaking records to get the right man...

Both would be well able to organize the defence along with VVD.

Olbak coming from A Madrid under Simeone would be well practiced in that art.

Alisson coming from the defensive Italian league would also be well practised at it.

Fabinho has already spoken in his interview with LFC TV that he organizes the game well for his team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Benimar wrote:
    In the PL there is DeGea (who we can’t get), Courtois (who we probably can’t get) and then a whole heap of goalkeepers that are probably no better than Karius is or could become. We really need to look outside the PL for a keeper.

I think they are all better than Karius in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A proper keeper will take us to the next level. If it takes 70-80 million to get that will so be it. Someone that will bail us out in times of need and make that vital save to ensure we win 1 0. Somebody that won't make ridiculous mistakes that means we lose. As someone else mentioned a keeper that's mentally strong and can stand up to a bit of pressure. Other signings we can make will improve us slightly a proper keeper will improve us massively. If we had a proper keeper this year we would be close to 10 points better off .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement