Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If that's the case why don't I instead of working my ass off to find and pay for 3/4 Liverpool home games every season just head over to man city and pick up a handy season ticket for cheap and go watch a few big games there instead shur it's football right.
    IM A FCUKING LIVERPOOL SUPPORTER that's why
    As shankly himself said if Everton were playing in my back garden I'd draw the curtains
    And if you don't understand that maybe you should head over to Manchester with your friend I'm sure they'd be glad of your custom

You're obviously taking the piss now.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wow. It really defines you eh. Do you were the jersey all the time too ?

Keep in mind, this is the sort of poster you’re dealing with here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106192891&postcount=3092

He doesn’t get the concept of enjoying football as a sport, just strictly following one team.

That’s not a knock on you shamrock btw, you’re far from the only one who watches only one team and has no interest in the sport outside of that team. You just have to accept that you can support a club with all your heart yet still watch or attend any other matches because it’s an enjoyable thing to do as a football fan, like klopparama does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If that's the case why don't I instead of working my ass off to find and pay for 3/4 Liverpool home games every season just head over to man city and pick up a handy season ticket for cheap and go watch a few big games there instead shur it's football right.
    IM A FCUKING LIVERPOOL SUPPORTER that's why
    As shankly himself said if Everton were playing in my back garden I'd draw the curtains
    And if you don't understand that maybe you should head over to Manchester with your friend I'm sure they'd be glad of your custom

Good for you, that's your prerogative. Don't see why you'd be so passionately vitriolic about someone else's decisions. Seems a very frustrating way to live life.

On Karius, saw he popped this up earlier on his insta stories thing;

456436.jpg

He obviously sees all the **** he's getting.. it really must be horrible. And for the person a wee bit back who said other players have had similar, like Lucas - Lucas never had a fraction of what Karius is getting. Very few players have to be honest. And the idea of "if he can't take it he shouldn't be at this level"... I dunno, it seems very calous and inhuman. People are people, doesn't matter how good they are, everybody can be affected by abuse at that level. Once upon a time the papers or pundits would have a go, and the man in the pub would talk **** to his neighbouring barstooler, and that was the extent of it. But now it's literally everywhere 24/7, and it just feeds itself. I'm not really sure how many people could withstand that without any affect, especially as a goalkeeper, when every single thing you do wrong is magnified in comparison to any other player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

With 2 pretty massive pre season matches coming up should we just say fcuk it and stick Kelleher in between the sticks?

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    With 2 pretty massive pre season matches coming up should we just say fcuk it and stick Kelleher in between the sticks?

I'd say the next game was gonna be split between Kelleher and Grabara anyway, since Karius got 90 minutes today, with neither getting a run off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Has there ever been a massive pre season match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

ricero wrote: »
    Shocking to think some people on here were all for giving Karius another chance.

Well, not when all the noises coming from our Manager was he was going to get another chance. I think Klopp earned that trust to make that call and some supporters accepted it. We all knew though that he'd be replaced as soon as a suitable GK was found, and obviously Klopp is seeing what we all are and decided that we really needed to overpay to correct the situation.

I dont think its shocking that people wanted to give him another chance at all, once he could regain last seasons form. Klopp and the rest of us see that that looks unlikely. He's getting jeered sarcastically every time he gets the ball throughout preseason games, being called ****e by opposition players, dropping a ball in a warm up being amplified like it was the CL final mistakes, all the while supporters and ours are absolutely shredding him. Its taking its toll no doubt about it.

I'm not saying he deserves no criticism, I just think the amount he's getting is really ugly. I'm not necessarily talking about here btw, some of the criticism has been very mild here in comparison to other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Has there ever been a massive pre season match?

Yes, when we finished 4th and had to play off for the CL proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp with a lengthy appraisal of the game

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/tour-2018/308463-jurgen-klopp-reaction-dortmund-keita-sturridge
    He is a creative midfield player with discipline; tactical discipline is a big strength of his usually. He’s doing the right things in the right moment, that’s how good players are. I don’t want to give him 500,000 [pieces of] information. We got him because he is the player he is and now we want to work with that. That means first of all we let him go and adapt to our system. I see him as an ‘8’, he can play ’10’ as well, maybe in the future he can play ‘6’ as well. At Leipzig, he played as a winger, that’s for sure not his best position but he can play it because he has the speed for it, he has the football intelligence for it. We see him as a creative No.8 playing the passes and making the runs with the ball. With the ball he has the same speed as without, you don’t have a lot of players with this quality. We know what he’s good in and we try to fit it into our game, but that should not be a big problem.

So I'd not be shocked if Keita is in fact the new if quite different Coutinho in quite a few games esp in CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes, when we finished 4th and had to play off for the CL proper.

The one last season 3 days after the first game of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think we all pretty much knew since last January Karius wouldn't be number 1 for this coming season and it has nothing to do with the mistakes in the Champions League final.

A goalkeeper was pretty much coming in since before Christmas and Alisson has been Klopp's target publicly since then no matter what the ITK's had said over the last few months. (As proven by his signing)

Karius was always going to be the number 2 this season with Mig moving on that may now have changed as Karius is broken however I would imagine there is no better manager to help give a player back his confidence than Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I think we all pretty much knew since last January Karius wouldn't be number 1 for this coming season and it has nothing to do with the mistakes in the Champions League final.

A goalkeeper was pretty much coming in since before Christmas and Alisson has been Klopp's target publicly since then no matter what the ITK's had said over the last few months. (As proven by his signing)

Karius was always going to be the number 2 this season with Mig moving on that may now have changed as Karius is broken however I would imagine there is no better manager to help give a player back his confidence than Klopp.

And lets hope that is the case. It would be good for the club if Karius was genuinely rehabilitated, he is a young guy and clearly has a lot of natural ability otherwise he'd never have become a #1 in Germany. It's a times like this that people need support not constant cheap and counter productive criticism.

He'll forever be blamed for us losing the CL final and now he's lost his place as #1 for Liverpool.

The guy needs and will hopefully receive some help and support to get back on track to being the best keeper he has the potential to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Now no one begrudges you going to the odd city game,but having a season ticket for 10 yrs when anfield is half an HR up the red and you call yourself a Liverpool fan,now that's seriously taking the piss my friend

Couldn't have put it better myself haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Karius looks done, for now anyway. It's pre-season, their is very little pressure on him, yet he is crumbling. I said he'd be grand as number 2 but I'm not so sure now would I be selling mignolet.

The writing was on the wall when he was dropped as #1 shortly after being announced as #1.
    Take away Virgil and Robertson's contribution to our defensive solidity in 2018 and Karius would have been found out again long before the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought we looked decent yesterday, We are still in the get ting fit stage of preseason, I'm sure the lads had the legs ran off them in the last few days,
    Karius should just be sold to save his career, he needs to get out of the spot light and rebuild,
    We need another CB Matip is to injury prone ,

We need another CB Matip is to injury prone ,

......also, it's unlikely (highly) that Lovren and Virgil can feature throughout the entire season without missing a few games +

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:
    Karius looks done, for now anyway. It's pre-season, their is very little pressure on him, yet he is crumbling. I said he'd be grand as number 2 but I'm not so sure now would I be selling mignolet.

His reaction is only fanning the flames of critics, the majority now aren't all Liverpool fans either as most are taking the piss out of the club for sticking by him.
    Thank f**k we bought a goalie already as every time he plays the need is looking greater for one. We needed a goalie far more than a Fekir type player.
    Mignolet will likely go now as there will be a bit of demand for him but nobody will touch Karius with a bargepoll. Like Van Dijk we better pray Alisson doesn't get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »

Seriously, these are pre season games and most likely 21 players will play for each side.

They are all about match fitness and sharpness and the results are irrelevant.

No matter who the opposition is the games are not massive.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    rob316 wrote:

His reaction is only fanning the flames of critics, the majority now aren't all Liverpool fans either as most are taking the piss out of the club for sticking by him.
    Thank f**k we bought a goalie already as every time he plays the need is looking greater for one. We needed a goalie far more than a Fekir type player.
    Mignolet will likely go now as there will be a bit of demand for him but nobody will touch Karius with a bargepoll. Like Van Dijk we better pray Alisson doesn't get injured.
    KArius should have closed his social media after the final and given himself a chance to breath,
    I don't get why a guy getting constant abuse would keep it open,
    Its very telling after his last two preseason mistake not one player uttered a word to him, just heads down and walked off like they almost expect it,
    I really think for his own good he needs to move out of England ,He's young he can still rebuild else where,

I'm surprised some here are being so sympathetic to a man who has largely been the architect of his current predicament. When he arrived he committed a total howler went on line that day and promised not to do it again, then he did it again. In fact if there is one thing we can be sure of it's that he will, in that very German way keep thinking he is "on top of this" when in fact he isn't. Forget being concussed, that first goal incident in the final was a sacking offence itself.

That he prances about on social media just adds to his foolishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I've no problem people posting negative stuff on here about Karius or any player really as long as it's not continuously the same sh1te over and over by the same people.

I do think that going on to Karius' personal Twitter or Instagram and aiming abuse at him is very very sad, and any Liverpool fans doing that should really get out and get some fresh air and get a life along with it.

I'm surprised some here are being so sympathetic to a name who has largely been the architect of his current predicament. When he arrived he committed a total howler went on line that day and promised not to do it again, then he did it again. In fact if there is one thing we can be sure of it's that he will, in that very German way keep thinking he is "on top of this" when in fact he isn't. Forget being concussed, that first goal incident in the final was a sacking offence itself.  

That he prances about on social media just adds to his foolishness.
    He isn't good enough to be playing at Liverpool but the guy isn't doing it on purpose, I think for his own good he needs to be sold and rebuild himself, He never had the ability to be playing at this level but if the mangers continued to pick him what's Karius to do , I'm sure it was his dream to come to a big club and succeed
    Of course we are all upset when he makes a mistake that costs us and I for one don't want to see him play for Liverpool again but I hope he goes on to rebuild himself and play at a level that suits his ability,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don’t get it.

Whenever I see a bunch of questions one after enough that always pops into my head.

I'm not a very smart man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads I will repeat what I said over the last few weeks/months....

Karius is still a LFC player and as a result should be getting our support regardless of how he is playing. He is man enough to stand between the sticks when he could easily fake an injury and say....ahh **** it pay me to sit it out.

Add to that the lad must be at an all time low internally, he knows he aint playing well, knows he cost his team mates the CL final.......knows he has been demoted from number 1....family and girlfriend got death treats made against them after the CL final, GF left him.....he sees what is being posted on social media, papers etc.....

People have taken their own lives for less, we dont know what is going on in the young lads head......Robert Enke from Hannover 96 is a perfect example, everything outside looked fine, German international, millionare, playing week in week out, but he jumped infront of a train. Very few knew he had a sick daughter (heart problems) at home and suffered from depression. Players are people like you or I....they also have feelings, emotions....

Just saying like.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't understand the mindset of actually wanting to write abuse to somebody online. Even more so when you consider the club has just spent 65m on a new goalkeeper, so it's not like Karius is even an issue anymore.

That said, my aul fella texted me after the game last night and it went like this.

Da: See Krappy Karius? (He's must have been reading Trump tweets recently or something)

Me: I did yeah. He's a broken man. At this stage, he should go off backpacking around South East Asia for a year.

Da: Maybe cave diving in Thailand?

Lads I will repeat what I said over the last few weeks/months....

Karius is still a LFC player and as a result should be getting our support regardless of how he is playing. He is man enough to stand between the sticks when he could easily fake an injury and say....ahh **** it pay me to sit it out.

Add to that the lad must be at an all time low internally, he knows he aint playing well, knows he cost his team mates the CL final.......knows he has been demoted from number 1....family and girlfriend got death treats made against them after the CL final, GF left him.....he sees what is being posted on social media, papers etc.....

People have taken their own lives for less, we dont know what is going on in the young lads head......Robert Enke from Hannover 96 is a perfect example, everything outside looked fine, German international, millionare, playing week in week out, but he jumped infront of a train. Very few knew he had a sick daughter (heart problems) at home and suffered from depression. Players are people like you or I....they also have feelings, emotions....

Just saying like.....
    I think its fine for people to talk on here and other platforms and give there opinion of Karius , that just the nature of football I'm sure Karius understands that ,
    BUT.... the people who send him abuse on social media are just god****es it achieves nothing ,I would not count these type of people as fans at all,
    Iv said a few times I think he should have closed his social media top protect himself, There is no shame in that at all, Dejan done it after Spurs and he came out the other side a better for it, He got the head down and concentrated on the football,

Pulisic won the MotM award at the game last night however he couldn't receive it as it was sponsored by Heineken and he isn't 21 yet lol

It was then given to VVD.

Got to love the drinking laws in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only time there has been important pre season games was in 2006 when Liverpool had to start in the 1st Qualifying Round of the Champions League only winners ever to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Knex. wrote: »
    Da: See Krappy Karius? (He's must have been reading Trump tweets recently or something)

Me: I did yeah. He's a broken man. At this stage, he should go off backpacking around South East Asia for a year.

Da: Maybe cave diving in Thailand?

Your dad is savage!

Knex. wrote: »
    Whenever I see a bunch of questions one after enough that always pops into my head.

I'm not a very smart man...

Ha. I get it now.

Pulisic won the MotM award at the game last night however he couldn't receive it as it was sponsored by Heineken and he isn't 21 yet lol

It was then given to VVD.

Got to love the drinking laws in the States.

Should have presented him with a glass of Nesquik and a cookie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Be honest now,has anyone here aimed abuse at any LFC player on their own personal social media

How much would pulisic cost,would make great sense for us to buy him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Having seen the games pre-season so far its safe to say lots of dead wood that won't make the grade. A couple that has impressed me (Jones, Camacho).

Keita continues to impress and I think he will surprise the "so-called" pundits. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could if he hits the ground running be a contender for POTY in the league :)

Sturridge doing well again preseason (if only he can stay injury free and be a decent back up to Bobby)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

How much would pulisic cost,would make great sense for us to buy him

Id say prob around €40-50m. I think he will end up at LFC just depends when :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On Karius, saw he popped this up earlier on his insta stories thing;

456436.jpg

He obviously sees all the **** he's getting.. it really must be horrible. And for the person a wee bit back who said other players have had similar, like Lucas - Lucas never had a fraction of what Karius is getting. Very few players have to be honest. And the idea of "if he can't take it he shouldn't be at this level"... I dunno, it seems very calous and inhuman. People are people, doesn't matter how good they are, everybody can be affected by abuse at that level. Once upon a time the papers or pundits would have a go, and the man in the pub would talk **** to his neighbouring barstooler, and that was the extent of it. But now it's literally everywhere 24/7, and it just feeds itself. I'm not really sure how many people could withstand that without any affect, especially as a goalkeeper, when every single thing you do wrong is magnified in comparison to any other player.

If your self esteem depends on the opinions of anonymous internet users, you are not suited to a high profile job. You need a thick neck and an inner resolve which is lacking here, however unjust that sounds.
    I feel for the guy but he is still engaging on line, digging a bigger hole with each pleading utterance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Be honest now,has anyone here aimed abuse at any LFC player on their own personal social media

I probably did years ago when younger and more foolish.

After the CL final, I wrote on a Karius photo on his Instagram saying stuff like keep your head up YNWA.

Im sure he's seeing the good comments as well as the horrible ones.

I think signing Alisson is the best thing to have ever happened to Karius. He won't be in the spotlight at Liverpool anymore and will probably vanish into obscurity in another league which is what he badly needs right now. Weaker minded people would be suicidal after living the last few months as Karius.

Id say prob around €40-50m. I think he will end up at LFC just depends when :)

I'd say double that if not more for Pulisic.

Willian and Martial are both being quoted €70m+ without the marketing advantage Pulisic brings with him.

If Liverpool were to sign him he would break the club transfer record no question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

I'm a bit old school so don't really use social media to any great extent. I support Liverpool and ALL players who put on that shirt in every game.

It really irks me when I hear people describing certain players as dross and worse, Lovren, Moreno and now Karius being the most recent examples.

Anybody who calls themselves Pool fans and uses social media to denigrate and abuse players who are playing for the club.. well imo, should Zip their mouths closed and never even entertain the idea of belting out the anthem 'You'll never walk alone'. The words of this is the ethos of our club and it is this that makes us different from others.

If you can't support our players when they need it most, then maybe another club maybe more suited to your personality and how you conduct yourself in life.

Just my tuppence worth.

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No because I'm not a f**king bellend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hope not, that is just plain pathetic. I have said stuff about him on whatsapp with buddies and I vented a little bit on social media after the CL final but I'd never send him abuse.

He's a mental weakling if abuse on social media gets to you. I mean you made it to the top of your sport, surely you have thicker skin and a pair of bollox to go with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The most worrying thing about Karius now is that he looks like an outfield player that had had to go in goals.

rob316 wrote: »

I hope not, that is just plain pathetic. I have said stuff about him on whatsapp with buddies and I vented a little bit on social media after the CL final but I'd never send him abuse.

He's a mental weakling if abuse on social media gets to you. I mean you made it to the top of your sport, surely you have thicker skin and a pair of bollox to go with it.
    Easy to say but as Liverpool goal keeper the eyes of the world are on you, its in papers, its in the news,
    You make world wide news , He's only human in the end of the day, 
    I think the reason it effects him is cause he knows his job and career is on the line and he knows what fans are saying about his ability isn't far wrong,  There's no where to hide and it could cost him his dream ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

In my opinion it's time for Karius to close his social media apps and put the head down.

I understand that for some footballers it can be an additional source of income but he's paid well enough not to need that right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »

I think your post is pathetic.

You or anyone on here have no clue about how it would feel to under the scrutiny that Karius has had to endure.

Very easy to post in a forum saying he is a mental weakling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What's the point in leaving your Social Media accounts active after that if it's going to effect you. Knock the thing off for a bit. Keep yer head down, do your preseason and come back stronger.

Or just release wanky videos on Instagram and moan when the mutants of the Internet do what you know they'll do.

jbt123 wrote: »
    I'm a bit old school so don't really use social media to any great extent. I support Liverpool and ALL players who put on that shirt in every game.

It really irks me when I hear people describing certain players as dross and worse, Lovren, Moreno and now Karius being the most recent examples.

Anybody who calls themselves Pool fans and uses social media to denigrate and abuse players who are playing for the club.. well imo, should Zip their mouths closed and never even entertain the idea of belting out the anthem 'You'll never walk alone'. The words of this is the ethos of our club and it is this that makes us different from others.

If you can't support our players when they need it most, then maybe another club maybe more suited to your personality and how you conduct yourself in life.

Just my tuppence worth.

YNWA

Your dead right in fairness,now I've never personally insulted anyone on their social media and never would,I have however slated players on here especially Moreno and lovren,but wont be doing it anymore,I don't think they're good enough but I'll leave it at that
    As you said YNWA is our anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ricero wrote: »
    Shocking to think some people on here were all for giving Karius another chance.

Think you'll find all those people, myself included, said that before he proved him self to be irreversibly broken in pre-season. So cool your jets there captain hindsight. I don't think it was at all unreasonable to hope Karius could redeem himself. Or should we **** can Alisson if he has another performance like he had against us when we knocked 7 past him over two legs and just assume he's done as a Liverpool keeper ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement