Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

ricero wrote: »
    Shocking to think some people on here were all for giving Karius another chance.

Shocking to think that some people on here were all for wanting FSG out in the not too distant past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Never understood the sense of attachment that people develop to players, never will. Particularly in the modern era where the one club man is a rarity. In that sense, going onto social media to slate a player is every bit as stupid as making a defense of a player into a philosophical hill to die on. Karius is an athlete, a piece of meat valuable or not depending on his ability to contribute. Not currently useful or projecting positively relative to the objectives of the club. I look forward to his departure. Time spent discussing him up to that point is wasted time.

It's unfortunate that people keep adopting failed or failing players due to some misguided sense of loyalty or fandom. Sturridge's contract runs out in a year. Moreno maybe has a season left. I wonder who the next cause celebre will be. Lallana I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Never understood the sense of attachment that people develop to players, never will. Particularly in the modern era where the one club man is a rarity. In that sense, going onto social media to slate a player is every bit as stupid as making a defense of a player into a philosophical hill to die on. Karius is an athlete, a piece of meat valuable or not depending on his ability to contribute. Not currently useful or projecting positively relative to the objectives of the club. I look forward to his departure. Time spent discussing him up to that point is wasted time.

It's unfortunate that people keep adopting failed or failing players due to some misguided sense of loyalty or fandom. Sturridge's contract runs out in a year. Moreno maybe has a season left. I wonder who the next cause celebre will be. Lallana I suppose?

I don't there's an issue of misplaced attachment.

It's mostly just about not being a wanker.

The treatment these lads get on social media when they **** up wouldn't look out of place if they were a child molester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think your post is pathetic.

You or anyone on here have no clue about how it would feel to under the scrutiny that Karius has had to endure.

Very easy to post in a forum saying he is a mental weakling :rolleyes:

Delete your SM accounts if its such a bother to him what some ****ing idiots are sending him. He is mentally weak, I don't how you can disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gbear wrote: »

The treatment these lads get on social media when they **** up wouldn't look out of place if they were a child molester.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. And it's one side of extreme attachment, the other side is fans still working Sturridge into plans.

All we really can hope for is for players to give their best playing for the club. With rare exceptions over the past few years, we've mostly got that. If they're trying but just not good enough (ala Karius) there's no point being furious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote:

Bit much no?
    Society shuns those paedophiles publically whereas on social media it's a section of often anonymous idiots who have usernames to do with their favourite sports or hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    Delete your SM accounts if its such a bother to him what some ****ing idiots are sending him. He is mentally weak, I don't how you can disagree with that.
    I'm hesitant to call him mentally weak as I think anyone would struggle with confidence considering the position he is in.
    He apologised to the fans after the game I didn't think that was mentally weak.

Could you post a photo of yourself in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd trust none of us have such poor judgement as to do that. Karius is already in the public gaze, we are not. Well probably, and if any of us were known to some degree I'm sure we'd not want to blow our cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

We can all agree he needs to stop reading the internet, as stated previously I think he does need to cut his social media habits and knuckle down and start playing again to try and shake this spell he is having, hopefully with the effect of Alisson coming in it may drive him to be our number 2 for cup games and the like via some hard work....

We can say YNWA all we want, let's actually abide by it...

Nice to see Mo defending him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm hesitant to call him mentally weak as I think anyone would struggle with confidence considering the position he is in.
    He apologised to the fans after the game I didn't think that was mentally weak.

Sure. What sort of pose would you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

rob316 wrote: »
    Sure. What sort of pose would you like?

Start with a series based on Austin Powers dancing to disarm the fembots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Could he not just block messages from people he doesn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Could he not just block messages from people he doesn't know.

He needs to work on his blocking alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

brevity wrote: »
    He needs to work on his blocking alright.

Now I genuinely laughed heartily at this.

Very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any news on what Matip went off with?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tear in a muscle in his thigh.
    His lay off was due to a thigh muscle injury. Hope it's not related.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

37649893_1959808184082748_5640978925233373184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d6f74a87963f899e8c13bfc3dd61bdb6&oe=5C0FB10B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

KArius should have closed his social media after the final and given himself a chance to breath,
    I don't get why a guy getting constant abuse would keep it open,

Id go one further and say the club should order him to shut his social media down for his own sake and for his rehabilitation. There are always knobs on social media, Karius cannot control that. But when he posts stuff like he has all he is doing is throwing a can of petrol on an already burning fire, he is the one providing the oxygen to the trolls. He needs to get off it and concentrate on being Liverpools No.2, put the head down and put the work in. We need him to be competition to Allison and not someone who is walking around with his confidence shot and feeling aggrieved at what knobs on the internet are saying about him. Social media is clearly effecting his frame of mind which is not good for him or for the squad overall. The club needs to tell him to get off it full stop imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

''This attack on @LorisKarius will end sometime? I talk about him like so many other goalkeepers. There are many more serious problems in the world ****! Leave the kid alone! He is also a person. As we all are!''

Iker Casillas

Getting embarrassing now. Liverpool claim YNWA, yet we hound our own keeper..
    I'm guilty of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm guilty of it too.

We're all guilty of it. So much so that we're all starting to distance ourselves from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

When you're in a hole, stop digging.
    When you're getting no likes, stop posting crap on the internet.
    When you're a well-paid man with a gift, treasure that gift, hone it, work on it relentlessly.
    And care for no man's opinion other than your boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Vicxas wrote: »
    I'm guilty of it too.

We're all guilty of it. So much so that we're all starting to distance ourselves from it
    I'm sure most of the people who are abusing him online are not even Liverpool fans,
    its very easy for someone who hates Liverpool to go online and claim to be a fan and abuse Karius,
    Infact Id say a good 90% are not Liverpool fans and those who are and seending abuse don't deserve to support the club

The funny thing is we have replaced him. So I dunno how it helps to continue to hound him, he has lost his place in team, time to leave him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'm guilty of it too.

It is one thing to moan and slag or get frustrated in the heat of the moment when things happen like the CL final. But people going onto a players social media or tagging him in other things will only ruin what confidence he had left.

Rival fans yes he could maybe laugh that off as football but coming from your own so called fans or even even the recent example of the Tranmere player having a go at him is a bit extreme i think anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I really hope karius has a worldie in his next game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No one should have to close a social media account to avoid online abuse no matter who they are be it a United pool or any player it's about time people realised you can't abuse others online and not be held accountable for it.

How the bloody hell do people justify this time and time again is unbelievable and it's far from the first time it's happened in recent months either!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

8jq3qeweqpb11.jpg

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    No one should have to close a social media account to avoid online abuse no matter who they are be it a United pool or any player it's about time people realised you can't abuse others online and not be held accountable for it.

How the bloody hell do people justify this time and time again is unbelievable and it's far from the first time it's happened in recent months either!!!!
    Its no excuse but it happens to literally every single famous person on social media, I just think if oit effects you like it clearly has Karius as he has mentioned it, he should close his account and focus on football,
    With Karius being so in the limelight you can bet any money most of the abuse is from non Liverpool fans who think its funny , Obviously there is also some narrow minded Liverpool fans who are also at it , 
    Obviously people deal with things differently and some people are better equipped to deal with it than others, 

Again Dejan was a perfect example after Spurs game he came off social media and focused on football and it worked,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Its no excuse but it happens to literally every single famous person on social media, I just think if oit effects you like it clearly has Karius as he has mentioned it, he should close his account and focus on football,
    With Karius being so in the limelight you can bet any money most of the abuse is from non Liverpool fans who think its funny , Obviously there is also some narrow minded Liverpool fans who are also at it , 
    Obviously people deal with things differently and some people are better equipped to deal with it than others, 

Again Dejan was a perfect example after Spurs game he came off social media and focused on football and it worked,

But that's not how it works mate it's online abuse if it was someone been abused in a local gym we wouldn't say oh don't go to that gym. If it was someone been racially abused online we wouldn't say oh close your account.

It doesn't matter if it's Liverpool fans abusing him or pretend fans abusing him the point I'm making is online abuse in any form should not be tolerated or rationalized in anyway whatsoever and I can't believe how people even attempt it.

As many people know already I have a major problem with this kind of thing I think it's lowlife forms or people that do it and i just cant understand why someone would say oh he should close his account or oh he was looking for a reaction or it a delegate time to excise it!!! Just don't tollerate abuse bloody enforce strict rules as you should in person.

jayo26 wrote: »

But that's not how it works mate it's online abuse if it was someone been abused in a local gym we wouldn't say oh don't go to that gym. If it was someone been racially abused online we wouldn't say oh close your account.

It doesn't matter if it's Liverpool fans abusing him or pretend fans abusing him the point I'm making is online abuse in any form should not be tolerated or rationalized in anyway whatsoever and I can't believe how people even attempt it.

As many people know already I have a major problem with this kind of thing I think it's lowlife forms or people that do it and i just cant understand why someone would say oh he should close his account or oh he was looking for a reaction or it a delegate time to excise it!!! Just don't tollerate abuse bloody enforce strict rules as you should in person.
    I 100% agree with you that it shouldn't happen , I think any sane person would agree with that,
    Its not policed so it won't stop and if its effecting him he should step away, why does he need his Instagram ,|If he its getting to him which it clearly is then shut it down and concentrate on the football ,
     I understand where your coming from but the world isn't perfect and nothing will happen to these people so its up to Karius to do what's best for him .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Karius needs to decide what he wants in this world... which is more important to him? : getting his career back on track or getting off social media and away from the online abuse.
    He'll be out of the spotlight anyway in a few weeks once the season starts up so the abuse will probably eventually die down. But at the moment every time he plays he is a complete liability to the team and is doing himself no favours. Every game it seems there is new ammunition to shoot him down.

I thought that when he made those two errors in the Cl final he would never come back from it...and I haven't changed my mind. I cannot think of a single player who has made such inexplicable errors in such a high profile game and come back.
    Whats also against him is he has nothing to fall back on previously to save him ...no fantastic seasons with the club behind him...no goodwill as such..like say someone like de gea has with his errors with Spain, we know there is a world class keeper there behind the odd error. With Karius all we have is a litany of previous errors and going by recent performances those errors will continue into the future.
    The best thing that can happen him is he drops to the bench, gets the odd game in the cup ...with no f*ck ups hopefully! and eventually head back to Germany or somewhere. Allison's signing has signalled he really has no future at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

You would be worried about the lads mental health at this point, a break from football may be all he needs the next while, just time out to stop the focus being on him and a chance to sort his issues out...

When you have a fair few million people on your back I can imagine it's rather difficult....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A great thread on the whole Fekir saga and what some in the knows reckon is happening at the moment

https://twitter.com/Trevski_LFC/status/1021296140124401665

Fieldog wrote: »
    You would be worried about the lads mental health at this point, a break from football may be all he needs the next while, just time out to stop the focus being on him and a chance to sort his issues out...

When you have a fair few million people on your back I can imagine it's rather difficult....
    He needs a move he really does, weather it be a loan or permanent ,Football is very unforgiving in this day and age , 20-25 years ago there was no social media or even pre season friendly's show on tv,
    Its a different game now, every little thing is under the micro scope and people from any walk of like can comment on your social media and have contact with you , the pressure is ten fold what it once was,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Must be hard for him,dream move,few mistakes,then a really solid run,then costs us the champions league , (knock on head ...bit of a stretch imo) ..and now it's over.. stay and face more of the same or leave and try resurrect some place else.

I think he should stay,come out and say "ya know what I made a few ****in mistakes,it happens,lost my place,I'll stay and fight to get it back,it's on me."

I'd Respect him for that. He can only laugh at the Slater's at this stage,goin introverted won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm surprised some here are being so sympathetic to a man who has largely been the architect of his current predicament. When he arrived he committed a total howler went on line that day and promised not to do it again, then he did it again. In fact if there is one thing we can be sure of it's that he will, in that very German way keep thinking he is "on top of this" when in fact he isn't. Forget being concussed, that first goal incident in the final was a sacking offence itself.

That he prances about on social media just adds to his foolishness.

Honestly I don't know how anyone couldn't be sympathetic.

Look, he's not good enough for Liverpool, everyone knows that. He's already been replaced.

Of course he deserves professional criticism, but the punishment should fit the crime, and the level of abuse he's getting is just ludicrously out of proportion. It's the very modern internet thing of people lumping on with glee with faceless, yet personal and direct, abuse (when most actually don't give a **** either way).

Even saw Casillas posted the other day basically saying the equivilent of "ah here, lads, leave the kid alone ffs. christ."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quick bump for Liverpool v BVB on Freesports (apparently SKY junkies can find it on a sub-menu) on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Gbear wrote: »

Exactly, it's a load of bollix, all the players have families etc and don't need constant negativity . Social media has bred a generation of losers who abuse people online whole hiding behind a fake persona.

The lad made a mistake,just like Gerrard did with the slip.he deserves support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Reddy saying Mane contract is coming

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/level-up-behind-the-upgrade-in-liverpools-transfer-strategy-191274

Article is long, but here's the direct quote.
    Shaqiri provides variety and depth to an attacking line up that has been boosted by Firmino and Salah signing new five-year contracts recently, with Mane due to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Why anyone perseveres with Twitter or Facebook or any social media is beyond me. Between living the dream life of a professional footballer and family and friends what else do you need in life? Social media only brings negatives. Basically any dope in the world can contact you. Why leave yourself open to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

emo72 wrote: »
    Why anyone perseveres with Twitter or Facebook or any social media is beyond me. Between living the dream life of a professional footballer and family and friends what else do you need in life? Social media only brings negatives. Basically any dope in the world can contact you. Why leave yourself open to that?

Unfortunately that isnt how the marketing world works. The more followers....the more money they get when doing marketing deals. I am sure plenty of player dont want to have anything to do with social media....however agents...they love it. All about money at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quick bump for Liverpool v BVB on Freesports (apparently SKY junkies can find it on a sub-menu) on now

Thanks just stuck it on out of curiosity.

Thet have the largest score/clock on screen graphic that is also really low.

Why TV stations still cater for 4:3 TVs in ths day and age is beyond me.

• Advertisement

If you set up a social media account when you're famous to get more likes don't be susprised to get abuse. In fact sadly it's 100% certain.

Either, don't read the comments, or don't set up accounts if you can't handle abuse.

Modern footballers are the pits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Taiwo Awoniyi has joined Gent on a season long loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The abuse Karius would have received from rival fans would have made the stuff directed towards Barnes, Crouch, Suarez seem like playground banter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If you set up a social media account when you're famous to get more likes don't be susprised to get abuse. In fact sadly it's 100% certain.

Either, don't read the comments, or don't set up accounts if you can't handle abuse.

Modern footballers are the pits.

Or don't post **** online you wouldn't say to the person

"I know I'm fat slow and haven't kicked a ball in 30 years but I tweeted that Karius and told him he was ****e”

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The abuse Karius would have received from rival fans would have made the stuff directed towards Barnes, Crouch, Suarez seem like playground banter

Dunno, I think bananas being thrown at Barnes by Everton fans is probably worse than anything Karius would receive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement