Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Fekir would have every right to be angry with us for selling him on our project then pulling out of the deal, insinuating his knees are ****ed (thus effecting his attractiveness to other interested parties). The fact that he isn't and still seems keen on joining us suggests we've been giving him private assurances we're still interested and are just playing the long game with Aulas.
    The club didn't insinuate his knees are ****ed. The informed reports of the medical results detailed that he needed surgery to correct issues arising from the original surgery. The dispute arose from the fact that Liverpool want to restructure the payment to reflect the risk involved.

It's no different to agreeing to buy a house and getting an engineer's report that states there are some structural issues that need to be addressed. At that point you have a number of options:
    1 - Walk away from the deal
    2 - Renegotiate the price based upon the findings of the report
    3 - Have the current owner fix the issues before the sale proceeds

Liverpool chose #2, Fekir and his representatives accepted the medical findings and agreed that he required further surgery which would mean a 6-8 week lay off. The Lyon president Aulas is a PITA to deal with went and of course opted for #1 - I posted before how I felt this deal would be the saga of the summer and Aulas hasn't disappointed.

#3 was never going to be an option for Liverpool - why would the club pay for the player and then send him for surgery. Any surgery involves an element of risk and in this scenario Liverpool incur all of it - Lyon get their money, Fekir gets a big contract, Liverpool potentially end up with a Grade B asset if there are any complications.

In our case, Fekir isn't an inanimate object so he can push for Aulas to come back to the table and renegotiate the deal. Aulas is the source of frustration in preventing the deal from happening, he gambled on Fekir being a star in the World Cup and it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Tis official (Pearce) - Sturridge is staying.
    If he stays fit and shows a bit of more effort, he's worth keeping around.
    But I think that if Klopp is to use him, Klopp needs to bend to where Sturridge is most effective also.

Sturridge is done 4 years ago,
    Obviously we can't sell him because of his wages, and we have spent a fortune so just keeping him around as we can't afford another striker,  , He is done and dusted as a top player,

I'll bet anything he doesn't make it to the Westham game without pickling up a muscle injury ,

Has any other player been constantly injured and out of shape for 4 years and made a comeback ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Has any other player been constantly injured and out of shape for 4 years and made a comeback ?

Forrest Gump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I always suspected Sturridge would be staying with us this season, but only because I thought he'd get injured before anyone could buy him. Hopefully he's an option up front, especially if we're not signing any Fekir alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So Liverpool should pay £60m and tie the player down to a 5 year contract on a £150k a week contract and then let him have the surgery?

That would a stupid crazy risk in my opinion.

Let Lyon take that risk and if the Surgery is successful then a deal can be done.

Walk away,next transfer target,we have enough players injured alot,for an investment of 100odd million you need to be buying a player you expect to have a very good chance of few injuries,buying fekir would be mismanagement imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sturridge is like a new signing
    Lallana is like a new signing
    Clyne is like a new signing
    Matip is like a new (injured) signing

etc!

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I always suspected Sturridge would be staying with us this season, but only because I thought he'd get injured before anyone could buy him. Hopefully he's an option up front, especially if we're not signing any Fekir alternatives.
    He's definitely an option for the early part of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If anything happened to Firmino, I'd rather have Sturridge around than not around tbh. If he's injured, so be it.

Ideal situation would be a fit and firing Fekir in the squad, who I think could play the Firmino role quite well if asked, but not at all sure how likely it is that Liverpool will sign him now.

Klopp seems to be set on letting Origi go, and I can't blame him much there tbh. It's a pity, as he looked to be on an upward trend before Flori injured him in the derby.

Ings is a poor man's Chicharito, who I don't particularly rate that highly anyway. If Edwards can get 15m+ for him, then fair play.

I see the manager of Lyon is talking about Fekir not leaving while apparently do his best to get the transfer up and running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

Talisman wrote: »

It's no different to agreeing to buy a house and getting an engineer's report that states there are some structural issues that need to be addressed. At that point you have a number of options:
    1 - Walk away from the deal
    2 - Renegotiate the price based upon the findings of the report
    3 - Have the current owner fix the issues before the sale proceeds

But somehow we let it leak out that the house is fu*ked which makes it a bit different. If the reason hadn't got out then it would be more like your analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Can't wait to see the dance again. Everyone loves a come back!

Seriously if (and it's a big ****ing if) he can keep himself available for 20 games. Games when we're pushing for a late goal etc Sturridge off the bench for 15/20 minutes to hang around the box, because he want have to run too hard in that situation is the best we have available at the moment. A new shiny attacker would be optimal but that doesn't look very likely right now.

Sturridge to grab us a few vital late goals in the PL. Chalk it down lads :P

.........and we have spent a fortune so just keeping him around as we can't afford another striker, ............

His transfer fee was tiny initally and his £7.5M/year wages certainly aren't preventing LFC purchasing a new striker :)

Sturridge seems to be talking about playing in a #10 ish role might be an option.

:) I'm more than happy to trust Klopp's judgement on this :)

Thud wrote: »
    But somehow we let it leak out that the house is fu*ked which makes it a bit different. If the reason hadn't got out then it would be more like your analogy.
    We didn't, there was speculation in the French media when he wasn't signed after doing the medical. Fekir's agent responded to questions regarding the speculation, they said that the deal was not dead and Liverpool were looking for the renegotiation.

Nobody said his knees are fu*ked - the information about the corrective surgery being required emerged later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Let's all support the managers decision and hope that Sturridge can contribute on the field this season. No need for the petty insults towards him, he's a Liverpool player after all, you'd want to be very sad to not wish him well. For old times sake.....

CCPx.gif

I'd say there's raised eyebrows on reddit and corners of twitter :D

It amuses me that Daniel Sturridge looking sharp again and Klopp's recognition of that will have some folk nearly having a stroke while posting when they get so upset and angry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mel Reddy and an interesting look at the assembly of the current recruitment strategy

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/level-up-behind-the-upgrade-in-liverpools-transfer-strategy-191274

and yes the schism between Rodgers (plus his lack of traction in the marketplace) and the TC is laid bare.

That's a great read. Good concluding point on what the bench was during his first game in charge, and the hit rate on the £10m+ transfers thus far is outrageous (it stands to reason that one of our acquisitions this window will disappoint as we're running extraordinarily well since Klopp joined).

The signing of Benteke really was a high water mark of things not making sense. At least when Carroll was signed it fit with acquiring Downing and Adam - i.e. our intention is to deliver high quality aerial service he'll thrive off. Beneteke just didn't fit at all with what we were supposed to be doing under Rodgers. We were lucky to get a good fee when he was moved on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Danny Danny, I'm getting sucked in with all these soundbites, loving the banter, lads are great, love been back with the squad etc....

We have been here before...

You are going to be taken off 7 minutes into the first match you start aren't you?

And out for 2 months after...

Load up the Fekir van lads...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The signing of Benteke really was a high water mark of things not making sense. At least when Carroll was signed it fit with acquiring Downing and Adam - i.e. our intention is to deliver high quality aerial service he'll thrive off. Beneteke just didn't fit at all with what we were supposed to be doing under Rodgers. We were lucky to get a good fee when he was moved on tbh.
    Rodgers was a bit of an enigma - when he arrived at the club he preached total football and getting rid of Andy Carroll made sense because he was a limited forward that wouldn't suit the new playing style. But the moves for Clint Dempsey, Rickie Lambert and Christian Benteke suggest that Rodgers always wanted a big lump of a limited player up front.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rodgers was a bit of an enigma - when he arrived at the club he preached total football and getting rid of Andy Carroll made sense because he was a limited forward that wouldn't suit the new playing style. But the moves for Clint Dempsey, Rickie Lambert and Christian Benteke suggest that Rodgers always wanted a big lump of a limited player up front.

That's the media spin he had to put on things. It was probably a case that he realised Andy C was brutal at football, a terrible influence around the training ground and was never going to give 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers did like to put a spin on everything alright laying the blame everywhere but on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Maybe it's just me but I thought Benteke was great up until his Achilles rupture four years ago (while at Villa). I thought he lost a lot of dynamism and explosiveness post-injury that never seemed to return and we bought a pale imitation of pre-achilles Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I was a Sturridge apologist for such a long time, and just when I thought I was out... he pulls me back in!

I just like the guy and wish he could be the player from that 13/14 season again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

SM01 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I thought Benteke was great up until his Achilles rupture four years ago (while at Villa). I thought he lost a lot of dynamism and explosiveness post-injury that never seemed to return and we bought a pale imitation of pre-achilles Benteke.

Agree with you there. It's something that is surprisingly never mentioned by football fans or journalists. Benteke had the ability to move well, had explosive pace and then lost it with the injury.

Now, if I recall, he had a few months at Villa after the injury where it should have been clear that this was lost and we shouldn't have gone for him anyway but the general narrative on Benteke is that it's confidence, form, etc.

After four years of it, it suggests to me that it is at least partly related to injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Umaro wrote: »
    I was a Sturridge apologist for such a long time, and just when I thought I was out... he pulls me back in!

I just like the guy and wish he could be the player from that 13/14 season again.

Most of us have been hoping for that for a few years now. It’s hard to accept, but it isn’t going to happen, ever. It’s the hope that kills you, every summer.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That's the media spin he had to put on things. It was probably a case that he realised Andy C was brutal at football, a terrible influence around the training ground and was never going to give 100%
    I fail to see what influence if any Carroll would have had on the squad - Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Gerrard, Lucas etc were the senior core of the squad back then.

Charlie Adam would have been the most negative influence in the squad and he was shipped out without any of the media feeding.

We bought Big Andy after an injury.

We bought Sturridge after multiple injuries.

We bought Benteke after a major injury.

Probalaby plays a part in why we are not going through with the Fekir deal.

We bought Big Andy after an injury.

We bought Sturridge after multiple injuries.

We bought Benteke after a major injury.

Probalaby plays a part in why we are not going through with the Fekir deal.

Aquaman

I see the manager of Lyon is talking about Fekir not leaving while apparently do his best to get the transfer up and running again.
    Are you sure it wasn't the club president? It sounds like his behaviour.

The manager was reported as saying that Fekir wants to leave Ligue 1 and that a move to Liverpool was still a possibility but the club will have to set a deadline for the transfer so that he can plan for next season.

Aquaman

*shudders

• Advertisement

Aquaman

The nickname should’ve been enough of a warning. Who the fcuk even likes Aquaman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

He's definitely an option for the early part of the season.

First 20 min against west ham..:D

martyos121 wrote: »
    The nickname should’ve been enough of a warning. Who the fcuk even likes Aquaman?

He was bought while injured and he never reached the heights of his earlier performances.He was a near record signing and the club had to give him away.No wonder the club pulled out of the fekir deal,throw in another 20/30 million and try to sign pulisic,it will pay back the balance in marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

martyos121 wrote: »

In fairness.

I think we made that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He was bought while injured and he never reached the heights of his earlier performances.He was a near record signing and the club had to give him away.No wonder the club pulled out of the fekir deal,throw in another 20/30 million and try to sign pulisic,it will pay back the balance in marketing.

I think the trick was that we could get him with so little up front.

I think Roma still owed us money for Riise so, having no cash, we were allowed us to write off some of that instead.

It's nice that now when clubs tell us "Yeah, well it's 60m quid for Alisson!" and we just go "Yeah, grand. Here you go. One Alisson please."

Even leaving aside the results of who was signed, I wonder how much of Benitez' time and effort was wasted on ****ing around rooting in the bargain bin.

One of the things the Anfield Wrap have been on about how Klopp was just constantly having to talk about Karius and it was a persistent problem. To be able to make these problems vanish and just get on with the job must make the whole thing an awful lot easier and less of a head melt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Umaro wrote: »

I'm like that,
    I still remember him being fantastic in front of goal, lightening quick, great runs making space for others. I honestly reckon it's his head is gone more so than his body, I'd love to see him go on a run of 8/10 games without injury. That might sort his head and in turn, sort out his confidence in his body.
    A fit and confident Sturridge is better in front of goal than all our front 3, not sure he'd work well in a high pressing front 3 tho but in a 4-4-2ish formation he could be worth a look.
    Sadly I reckon it's all a pipe dream tho, it'll never happen but he's one player I'd love to see turn it around. I genuinely like the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Odd decision on the surface of it. But the fact that there has been no talk of teams making a move for him, or of an extension as he’s in his last year of his contract it’d appear that he’s not exactly being kept around by choice.

At best he could be a body to rest the main man here and there but on the evidence of the last few seasons he doesn’t seem he’s even up to that.

Maybe he’ll have a ‘Van Persie’ season though. :pac:

€30m for Origi with one year left on his contract and quiet a few interested clubs.

£20m offer for Ings.

No offers for Sturridge on high wages with one year left and can sign a pre-contract in January with European clubs and leave for free to English clubs next summer.

Not surprising which one is staying.

If we get £50m for Ings and Origi I think I'll need to lie down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

€30m for Origi with one year left on his contract and quiet a few interested clubs.

£20m offer for Ings.

No offers for Sturridge on high wages with one year left and can sign a pre-contract in January with European clubs and leave for free to English clubs next summer.

Not surprising which one is staying.

Just get on board, don't fight it. It will be far more enjoyable for you if Sturridge scores a few goals if you can be happy instead of hating on the lad. Support the player and the club.

P.s how do you know if no one has bid for Sturridge, you're speaking in certainties when in reality nobody has a clue what's happening regards the players, it's mental cartwheels you're doing to justify why we have to keep Sturridge.

• Advertisement

One for Harry Dembele wants out of Barca with the signing of Malcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watch Roma loan him in for the lols

We have the best fcuking manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://mobile.twitter.com/ol/status/1021759983116054530?s=21

"We have sold many players, things are going the way we want them to right now, we do not want to overpay some player's, we will do everything we can to keep Fekir and Guedes, the English market closes August 9th, there may be a bit of a stir"

Aulas stirring shìt again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If we get £50m for Ings and Origi I think I'll need to lie down!

And then buy Dembele for 100m.

Be hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If Dembele does want out we should be all over him. I think hes a superstar in the making.

If we buy a €100m back up striker for Firmino then no one can ever complain about FSG being cheapskates again.

If we buy a €100m back up striker for Firmino then no one can ever complain about FSG being cheapskates again.

Oh they will, don’t you worry, just as soon as we sell him for €200m.

If klopp doesn't want sturridge then he'd be loaned out with LFC paying whatever proportion of his wages they'd need to. Much like what was done with ballotelli :)

One for Harry Dembele wants out of Barca with the signing of Malcom.

If he wants out then I can't sea single reason not to make an offer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement