Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

Its not Sturridge preventing a new striker its the rest of the money weve spent this summer..............,

Fair enough.
    Well, the club have made their bed so, so to speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Too early to talk about our starting XI for the opening game of the season?

It's looking like we will be a bit thin on numbers for the opener with Hendo, TAA, Lovren and Firmino all likely missing out, that's annoying!

Anyway, I guess we will see something like......

............................Alisson.......................

Clyne...............VVD........Matip/Klavan.............Robertson

............................Fabinho..................

......................Keita......Lallana...........

............Mane...................................Shaqiri.......

.............................Salah..........................

Thoughts?

I guess you could potentially play Sturridge up top and bench Shaqiri. Wijnaldum and Milner could be considered instead of Lallana. Am i forgetting about anyone or other options?

Edit: Joe Gomez could play RB or CB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Too early to talk about our starting XI for the opening game of the season?

It's looking like we will be a bit thin on numbers for the opener with Hendo, TAA, Lovren and Firmino all likely missing out, that's annoying!

Anyway, I guess we will see something like......

............................Alisson.......................

Clyne...............VVD........Matip/Klavan.............Robertson

............................Fabinho..................

......................Keita......Lallana...........

............Mane...................................Shaqiri.......

.............................Salah..........................

Thoughts?

I guess you could potentially play Sturridge up top and bench Shaqiri. Wijnaldum and Milner could be considered instead of Lallana. Am i forgetting about anyone or other options?

Edit: Joe Gomez could play RB or CB too.
    Alisson is back the same day as Bobby so I can't see why Bobby won't play ,
    Plus he didn't play much for Brazil ( I know he trained)

Also West ham away it may be a tuff game ,they have bought some good players ,

Also West ham away it may be a tuff game ,they have bought some good players ,

It's at Anfield, regards Firmino I just can't see him starting after coming back that late, maybe naively I think it'll be easier for a GK to step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Can't trust a player to give his all if he doesn't trust his own body,he's afraid to.push himself fully, useless to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd be shocked if Firmino doesn't start.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Firmino doesn't start.
    Really hope he has another wonderful season, to prove to people outside the club he really is a world class 9

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Gomez will start alongside VVD in central defence.

Anyone worried by the fact Buvac won't be back,
    He was called the brain after all,
    He was incharge of our quick the attacking plays , really hope it doesn't effect the team going forward ,

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Gomez will start alongside VVD in central defence.
    don't think so it'll be Raggy

Post up your XI's lads!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mr-Xi-859414.jpg

Alisson
    Gomez  Raggy VVD  Robertson
                     Fab
            KEita    Milner
    Mo                      Mane
                Bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Really hope he has another wonderful season, to prove to people outside the club he really is a world class 9

I don't think that is a doubt anymore. Lots of fans of other clubs I know highly rate him and recognise what he does for the team

I'd be more worried the day Barca or Real come calling but at least for now don't think Firmino will be will they are after, he fits our system perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

IMO the first game will see...

Alisson
    Clyne Gomez VVD Robertson
    Fabinho
    Keita Milner
    Salah Bobby Mane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He was incharge of our quick the attacking plays , really hope it doesn't effect the team going forward ,

Hard to know, he still has 'the eyes' and Pep Lijnders is no fool on the technical coaching side of the game
    Post up your XI's lads!

Alisson
    Clyne--VVD--Lovren--Robbo
    Fabby
    ----Milner---Nabby
    -Salah--Firmino--Mane

???, Gomez, Moreno, Wiji, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge,

Hard to know, he still has 'the eyes' and Pep Lijnders is no fool on the technical coaching side of the game  
    Post up your XI's lads!

Alisson
    Clyne--VVD--Lovren--Robbo
    Fabby
    ----Milner---Nabby
    -Salah--Firmino--Mane

???, Gomez, Moreno, Wiji, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge,
    Lovren will only be back 6 days so don't think he will start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m doing a Toby:

Alisson
    TAA VVD Robertson
    Fabinho
    Henderson Keita Wijnaldum
    Salah Firmino Mane

• Advertisement

Never a toby unless you sign it off with 'kill em that way'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Woodburn and Brewster would be better off going out on loan and getting game time than playing with the under 23's and stuck behind Sturridge & Solanke in the pecking order this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

No Fekir in any of the XI's or on the bench. Dopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The Mig wrote: »
    No Fekir in any of the XI's or on the bench. Dopes

Check the physioroom

Does young Allan have to go back out on loan again this season or has he at long last done enough to get a visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

___________Alice___________

_Vicky Van Dicky__Dejan Luv___

__________Fabby____________

Lala________________Main Man Eh

_______Jo Dan___________

___________Keita My ♥_________

Lil Mo________________El Firmo Dela Gols

__________Stewie_________________

• Advertisement

___________Alice___________

_Vicky Van Dicky__Dejan Luv___

__________Fabby____________

Lala________________Main Man Eh

_______Jo Dan___________

___________Keita My ♥_________

Lil Mo________________El Firmo Dela Gols

__________Stewie_________________

Ok with the rest,stewie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The ‘1 in 2’ statistic is back, now with added ‘almost’.

Ignoring the Suarez days he’s almost 1 in 3, and probably most relevant, in his last two seasons he’s 1 in 7.

If we're paying Sturridge for the year we may as well have him around. I'd rather throw him on than Solanke or Lallana if chasing a goal late.

But his output in all senses (availability, attitude, goals) over the past two years simply has not been great. I have no doubt that once this contract is concluded he will play out the rest of his career at clubs of a much lessor competitiveness than ours.

I was expecting him to be loaned out for the year and him being here will lead to irrelevant conversations after poor results, but hey ho.

Woodburn and Brewster would be better off going out on loan and getting game time than playing with the under 23's and stuck behind Sturridge & Solanke in the pecking order this season.

Given Brewster is still in recovery he'll not be shipped out as he has to prove his
    fitness and once he is fit I think Klopp will give him a go in the League Cup and take it from there. Woodburn has been linked with a few sides.
    Does young Allan have to go back out on loan again this season or has he at long last done enough to get a visa?

Allan is off to Eintracht Frankfurt I think. Someone was linked with Monaco a while back but I forget which player it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ok with the rest,stewie?

Sturrie maybe better in hindsight

Is the City game 1am tonight/tomorrow or 1am the following night/morning?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is the City game 1am tonight/tomorrow or 1am the following night/morning?

1am on the 26th, so 12 hours away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

1am tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

My XI for first game

Alisson
    Clyne---Gomez---VVD---Robbo
    Fabinho

Keita
    Milner
    ---Salah
    Mané

Firmino

Bench: Karius, Klavan, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Sturridge, Shaqiri

Just in.

Allan signs new deal and joins Frankfurt on loan
    Allan Rodrigues de Souza has today signed an extension to his Liverpool contract – and completed a deal to join Eintracht Frankfurt on a season-long loan deal, subject to international clearance.

The Brazilian midfielder, who initially moved to Anfield from Internacional in September 2015, has committed his future to the club by inking fresh terms on Tuesday.

Allan now heads to Germany, where he’ll spend 2018-19 with Bundesliga club Eintracht Frankfurt.

Die Adler enjoyed success last term by lifting the German Cup in May by beating Bayern Munich in the final in Berlin, meaning they’ll take part in the group stage of the Europa League. They also finished eighth in the Bundesliga.

The 21-year-old has previously had loan spells with SJK, Sint-Truidense, Hertha Berlin and, most recently, Apollon Limassol.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/308565-allan-new-contract-frankfurt-loan

Like I said :)

(and it's Gents very own Taiwo Awoniyi who was linked with Monaco, a pity that never came off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Since he left we've played 4 games, won 1 (v Brighton) and lost 3 (v Roma, Chelsea, Real Madrid). He was rumoured to be distant and not involved in the previous game before that which we drew 0-0 (v Stoke).

Can't put that on him but it can't have helped the team at such a crucial part of the season. It's a real shame that he left before the end of the season.

Reading Honigstein's Klopp book it's clear how important he is in the set up. The stories about what a cultured midfielder he was and how players were always impressed with his skills when he'd join in training were great. And he'd physically position players on the pitch relative to cones he'd set up. Doesn't sound like he talked much, just walked around and showed exactly what he wanted.

I think we'll be ok because we have a good set up, good players and are well motivated. But I definitely think he's a loss and we will see that in our play over the season. I wouldn't understate it, he would have been key to how we play.

Let's not underestimate how good Ljinders is. He was on the PSV underage coaching team at 19, then spent 8 years at Porto before he arrived under Rodgers. 35 years of age and has 16 years experience. And everyone who has worked with him has said he's the man.

He went to NEC officially on an 18 month deal, left when they weren't promoted, but in Klopp's words, they "sent" him there. It's obvious he was still going to come back. Maybe in another year if NEC had come up, or if Buvac hadn't left. But they have big plans for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Talisman wrote: »
    A €100M buyout clause would be madness. Last year Barcelona paid Dortmund €105M and gave the player a 5 year contract. For accounting purposes the cost is written off over the duration of his contract: 105 / 5 = 21. So his value depreciates by €21M a season, at present its value is €84M.

In 2014, Real Madrid paid Monaco €90M for James Rodriguez and gave him a 6 year contract. In 2017, Bayern Munich took him on a 2 year loan deal (€6.5M per year fee) with the option to buy for €32M. Rodriguez was a €45M asset on Real's books when he went on loan. If Bayern exercise their option to sign him that is exactly what they will have paid for the player in addition to paying his wages during the loan period. At the end of the loan Rodriguez will be a €15M asset but Bayern will pay them more than twice that.

€6.5M + €6.5M + €32M = €45M

If a club were to take Ousame Dembele on a 2 year loan and pay his wages for the duration of the loan then the deal would need to be structured similar to that of the Rodriguez loan, e.g. a €9M a year loan fee with the option to buy for €66M would make sense to both parties.

€9M + €9M + €66M = €84M

In 2020, Barcelona would receive €66M for an asset valued at €42M. That would make sense to the money men at the club, but probably not to the Barcelona hierarchy.

Thank you for doing the maths.

8-10 wrote: »

Since he left we've played 4 games, won 1 (v Brighton) and lost 3 (v Roma, Chelsea, Real Madrid). He was rumoured to be distant and not involved in the previous game before that which we drew 0-0 (v Stoke).

Can't put that on him but it can't have helped the team at such a crucial part of the season. It's a real shame that he left before the end of the season.

Reading Honigstein's Klopp book it's clear how important he is in the set up. The stories about what a cultured midfielder he was and how players were always impressed with his skills when he'd join in training were great. And he'd physically position players on the pitch relative to cones he'd set up. Doesn't sound like he talked much, just walked around and showed exactly what he wanted.

I think we'll be ok because we have a good set up, good players and are well motivated. But I definitely think he's a loss and we will see that in our play over the season. I wouldn't understate it, he would have been key to how we play.
    Hard to tell if his departure effected any of those games,
    Roma we'd a huge lead and a loss was ok , Chelsea in-between champions league semi final games,
    Real could beat us regardless , even more likely with out Salah for most the game and Karius on fire ,
    Brighton u'd expect us to beat under Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Advertisement

Robertson has got social media game.
    andyrobertson94What else is there to do when your flight is delayed ��*♂️ #mosalah #runningdownthewing

37305334_409690136186592_2164626735084077056_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTgzMTI4MDY1NTY0MjY0ODg5OQ%3D%3D.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"Liverpool Reel from Freak Jet Engine Accident"

They better deflate the ball before takeoff,nothing worse than over inflated balls on a flight

They better deflate the ball before takeoff,nothing worse than over inflated balls on a flight

Wear looser trousers on Economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Re Sturridge his interview the other day was of a different tone than ive heard from him before. Looks like the penny has dropped and if he can stay fit he is capable of being world class.

"Playing on the shoulder is what I like to do, but it’s also important to come and get involved and get in and around the opposition’s No.6," he said.

"It’s adding more strings to my bow and giving the manager more options if he needs to play me deeper."

Sturridge added: “I’m probably just doing more. It’s important for me to try to get involved.

“But wherever I play, it doesn’t matter – it’s just important to get the minutes.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-forward-daniel-sturridge-changing-14944551

"Playing on the shoulder is what I like to do"

Cue 6 months out with a dislocated shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gafferino wrote: »
    Re Sturridge his interview the other day was of a different tone than ive heard from him before. Looks like the penny has dropped and if he can stay fit he is capable of being world class.

"Playing on the shoulder is what I like to do, but it’s also important to come and get involved and get in and around the opposition’s No.6," he said.

"It’s adding more strings to my bow and giving the manager more options if he needs to play me deeper."

Sturridge added: “I’m probably just doing more. It’s important for me to try to get involved.

“But wherever I play, it doesn’t matter – it’s just important to get the minutes.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-forward-daniel-sturridge-changing-14944551

It had to drop really... he's simply no longer capable of playing the way he used to. His searing pace is a distant memory now, and it's not going to come back. Be interesting to see what he can do playing in a different style - but i'd be hesitant in suggesting he could ever be world class again. Much like Michael Owen when he switched up his game, got more physical, and left the sprints off the shoulder behind, Sturrige will likely still be effective, but most probably never again close to the level he was at. It's almost best to just think of him as a different player and let the expectations go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Last nights game PAOK (GRE) 2 V 1 Basel (SUI) could be a bit of help for Liverpool if PAOK hold out in the 2nd leg it moves them one step closer to being in POT 2 for the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Last nights game PAOK (GRE) 2 V 1 Basel (SUI) could be a bit of help for Liverpool if PAOK hold out in the 2nd leg it moves them one step closer to being in POT 2 for the Champions League

We've been finalists in our last two European campaigns yet are struggling to get into the second pot? :confused:

• Advertisement

Well the system is based on a rolling 5 years of achievement so Liverpool need one more good run to be an automatic Pot 2 or of course win the league :) and be in Pot 1

Mind you Pot 3 was okay last season so maybe it's not really something to worry about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement