Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

.red. wrote: »
    I'm glad he's taking the preseason diet seriously anyways

You need to have a high calorie intake for the double training sessions and matches.

That would be my excuse anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If we hit a points tally of mid 80s I'll be surprised and pleased.

aim for 90.

90 nearly always wins it and if not, puts up a very very very good challenge.

If we get 90 and are pipped by City on 92, well then we are just beaten by one of the best PL teams ever, if not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FitzShane wrote: »
    If we get 90 and are pipped by City on 92, well then we are just beaten by one of the best PL teams ever, if not the best.

A City on 92 points hardly would be the best ever given that they got 100 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

8-10 wrote: »
    A City on 92 points hardly would be the best ever given that they got 100 last year

a team getting 100 points one season and 92 the season after is unheard of.
    City got 100 points, lost 2 games all season. broke so many records like goals scored, games won etc.

of the teams that have been spoken off previously as being the best - United 07/08 they got 87 points, lost 5, scored 80 goals. the season after they got 90 points, lost 4 and scored 68.

That is the barometer being used as they are being talked as the previous best team. If City's 92 points is the lowest of the 2 and is still higher than the higher of United's 2 teams.....

The same applies to Chelsea's back to back winning team. They got 95 & 91 points. again lower goals scored, more loses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

corwill wrote: »
    Impressive just how chill they seem to be about it all, in fairness.

More and more impressed as time passes, honestly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You have to take each season at face value, points totals dont tell the whole story, the quality of opposition is much better now, anyone of 5-6 teams are in with a shout to win the league, but outside that could anyone predict the finishing order for next May?
    The "bottom half" teams can afford to spend big now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hopefully we'll have a better start this season. I was a bit worried that Salah and Mané would take some time to get their sharpness back with not having a full preseason but they were impressive versus City which is encouraging. Keita also looks to have adapted well thus far. Hopefully Alisson will be ready for the start of the season and Fabinho improves and I think we'll be in really good shape. Probably the best squad we've had in the EPL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

11 v 11 in Premier League and anyone can beat anyone. I see a return to normality this season. I see City losing 4-6 games like everyone else and drawing games like everyone else. 85pts could win it this season, it did most other seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gstack166 wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Absolute garbage youre spewing. You paid more for a keeper than everyone bar 2 clubs in the league has spent on their record transfer. There comes expectancy with that regardless of your ‘net spend trophy’ being +150m in the bank or -150m in there. You’re spending money that matches anyone else in the league in terms of key players. You have set 2 world records for key positions & 40M+ spent on 3 midfielders & an attacker each in the last 12 months. That’s why your expected to win trophies now. The players you brought in, again, I’m stressing, I’m not complaining about the spending how could i? But he has to win trophies, time for excuses is over! That’s my point.

Since Pep joined City he's spent £500m+. City had a better squad than Liverpool when Pep joined.

United and Jose have also outspent Klopp (£420m) and had a better starting squad as well.

Klopp has spend around £370m.

If your basing winning trophies on money spent then Liverpool are behind both City and United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This season we will finish 2nd and lose the FA cup final so Klopp gets the clean sweep of the runners up trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This season we will finish 2nd and lose the FA cup final so Klopp gets the clean sweep of the runners up trophies.

We'll be top of the league for most of the season, only to be pipped into 1st on the final day. Following Saturday in the final we'll go one up before conceding two late on.

And it was ever thus as a Liverpool fan :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

GBX wrote: »
    Easy to assume its his. Whats to say its not the person holding the phones food?

That's true, I was just worried that he might have gotten the munchies, again:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Probably the best squad we've had in the EPL?

Reina / Cavalieri

Arbeloa / Degen / Kelly / Darby
    Hyppia / Agger / Carragher / Skrtel / Kelly
    Aurelio / Dossena / Insua

Alonso / Masherano / Lucas / Spearing / Plessis

Gerrard / Yossi / Riera / Babel / El Zhar

Torres / Kuyt / Keane / N'Gog

Better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

fyfe79 wrote: »
    We'll be top of the league for most of the season, only to be pipped into 1st on the final day. Following Saturday in the final we'll go one up before conceding two late on.

And it was ever thus as a Liverpool fan :o

And it'll all be Alissons fault. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gstack166 wrote: »
    Haha! All is good humour, it might look angry but I’m not an angry person :)

It’s confusing just, half the thread say he’s being brilliantly backed in the market, & the other half say he’s spent nothing in terms of what he’s brought in.

He has spent top dollar on top quaility, even I can admit that. He has to deliver is what I’m saying, so going back to my oringinal post, I agree with Mourinho.

He doesn’t have to win the league, he has to win a trophy.

He is being well backed for a top 4 club

City and United are just in a different strata money wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He is being well backed for a top 4 club

City and United are just in a different strata money wise

If we're talking about transfers since Klopp, José and Pep have all taken up their posts (2016/2017-present) then the spending gap isn't quite that big.

City: £541.02m
    United: £388.89m
    Pool: £387.12m

Obviously City running away a bit, and granted this window and last season both have led to the majority of the spending for Klopp, but still shows Pool are willing to spend as much as rivals to back their manager.

Progressing from last season's success and positive signs, coupled with the good transfer window to date (best of the top 6 clubs in my eyes) will definitely add to the expectations and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If we're talking about transfers since Klopp, José and Pep have all taken up their posts (2016/2017-present) then the spending gap isn't quite that big.

Obviously City running away a bit, and granted this window and last season both have led to the majority of the spending for Klopp, but still shows Pool are willing to spend as much as rivals to back their manager.

Progressing from last season's success and positive signs, coupled with the good transfer window to date (best of the top 6 clubs in my eyes) will definitely add to the expectations and there's nothing wrong with that.

Is United figures including this summer's transfers? I think I remember seeing a post in the United thread around Christmas where they were going over fees and I thought United were in the high 300s then?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FitzShane wrote: »
    aim for 90.

90 nearly always wins it and if not, puts up a very very very good challenge.

I'm pretty sure the club are aiming for 114 points. Fans aiming for a points total doesn't affect much.

I don't mean to come across snippy, but aiming for a points total before the season begins is not useful. If it was a freak season like the year Leicester won it and second place got 70 points, we'd all be delighted with 71 points. We'd still likely be very happy with the season if we got 90 points and finished second, but as I said before, it is hard to define before the league what constitutes a good season.

And the coutinho money alone is a third of that spend .

He has been backed but Liverpool have also got good money for players investing what they have sold

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is United figures including this summer's transfers? I think I remember seeing a post in the United thread around Christmas where they were going over fees and I thought United were in the high 300s then?

Should be correct. Will double check more clearly but the figures I see are:

2018/2019: £74.43m
    2017/2018: £147.96m
    2016/2017: £166.5m

Obviously the window isn't finished yet so another big transfer without response from Pool would see them creating a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

City's starting point was a lot better though.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    And the coutinho money alone is a third of that spend .

He has been backed but Liverpool have also got good money for players investing what they have sold

Oh I'm not disputing that at all. Majority of spend is sourced from sold players.

My point was that, in my opinion at least, the board are making the necessary funds available to him to compete with City and United.

They made the funds available last year and saw results in terms of a CL final which no doubt has led to them looking to push on even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ste- wrote: »
    And it'll all be Alissons fault. :D

If we finish everything in 2nd place this season, you won't be able to move on Boards for the amount of referencing to "bottle", "bottled", "bottlers", "bottlejob" etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Reina / Cavalieri

Better imo.

Maybe, won nothing though. Sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Should be correct. Will double check more clearly but the figures I see are:

2018/2019: £74.43m
    2017/2018: £147.96m
    2016/2017: £166.5m

Obviously the window isn't finished yet so another big transfer without response from Pool would see them creating a gap.

The transfer fee is only part of it also though,when have players on 500k a week for a low transfer the cost of it is not shown.Cost per year of a deal would be a better representation.Tranfer fee,agents fee and total salary divided by lenght of contract.Example would be transfer 50m ,fees,costs 10m and 10m a year salary.A four year contract so 100 million or 25m a year.Its closer to how the clubs show the transfers in the books also.

Reina / Cavalieri

Better imo.

Always thought one of the best had to be:

GK: Dudek/Kirkland/Westerveld

DF: Henchoz/Hyypia/Babbel/Riise/Carragher

MF: Smicer/Redknapp/Murphy/Berger/Gerrard/Hamann/McAllister

FW: Owen/Heskey/Fowler/Anelka/Litmanen

I know it's not every player from that squad but there was outrageous quality in it. It was just unfortunate for them that Arsenal had a world class team with an unstoppable Henry.

The transfer fee is only part of it also though,when have players on 500k a week for a low transfer the cost of it is not shown.Cost per year of a deal would be a better representation.Tranfer fee,agents fee and total salary divided by lenght of contract.Example would be transfer 50m ,fees,costs 10m and 10m a year salary.A four year contract so 100 million or 25m a year.Its closer to how the clubs show the transfers in the books also.

Looks like I'll be firing up the excel during the weekend ;)

And I get you, it is easier to just quote the money invested in fees but it is not 100% accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Reina / Cavalieri

Better imo.

Always thought one of the best had to be:

GK: Dudek/Kirkland/Westerveld

DF: Henchoz/Hyypia/Babbel/Riise/Carragher

MF: Smicer/Redknapp/Murphy/Berger/Gerrard/Hamann/McAllister

FW: Owen/Heskey/Fowler/Anelka/Litmanen

I know it's not every player from that squad but there was outrageous quality in it. It was just unfortunate for them that Arsenal had a world class team with an unstoppable Henry.
    United had a midfield of Giggs,Beckham, Keane, Scholes around that time there was some great sides then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

United had a midfield of Giggs,Beckham, Keane, Scholes around that time there was some great sides then

The golden age of premier league football possibly. When men were men and footballers were also men.

Oh I'm not disputing that at all. Majority of spend is sourced from sold players.

My point was that, in my opinion at least, the board are making the necessary funds available to him to compete with City and United.

They made the funds available last year and saw results in terms of a CL final which no doubt has led to them looking to push on even more.

That is true,I think the bigger thing is they are klopps players

Real sense of excitement with this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

J Mysterio wrote: »

The golden age of premier league football possibly. When men were men and footballers were also men.
    Without doubt,
    Look at the CB knocking around in the years just after that unreal compared to now ,
    Liverpool Sami, Carra.,
    United Vidic , Rio
    Chelsea Terry , Carvalho
    Arsenal Sol , Kolo,
    Spurs King , Can't remember his partner ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's fckin hilarious how terrified some fans are because it looks like we are building a serious team for once at anfield,slating us for spending,being thugs off the field,serial bottler of a manager.

"all pool fans think they have the league wrapped up already" , ive heard that from arsenal and utd fans in work, yet to hear it from a pool fan anywhere.

Terrified.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd love it if we beat 'em, love it.

Besiktas in talks for Mignolet and Olympiakos have asked about Markovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1022847902983630849
    SKY SOURCES: @Besiktas make contact with @LFC over a deal to sign goalkeeper Simon Mignolet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bit closer to home for Markovic. Maybe he'd have an easier time of it there.

Hopefully we get a bit of cash for them but I'm not expecting miracles.
    15m between them and we'd be doing well, and even that's daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The rumours last week were that the club wanted 12.5m for Mignolet (which reportedly put Fulham off) and 7m for Markovic.

I could see someone paying for Mignolet, still think he has a bit offer, but Markovic... You'd have to be mad to pay that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The rumours last week were that the club wanted 12.5m for Mignolet (which reportedly put Fulham off) and 7m for Markovic.

I could see someone paying for Mignolet, still think he has a bit offer, but Markovic... You'd have to be mad to pay that.
    You'd just take the money and run really. Neither in our ball park anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Markovic is worth double figures at least,it hasnt worked out at liverpool but there is a good footballer there.

Karius, Keita & Gini not training today due various aches and pains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Klopp did an interview today with skysports news. Alludes to the Fekir deal and perhaps the deal getting done by the end of the window or in the next.

Clip of the interview below :

https://twitter.com/FekirFinesse/status/1022892663929020416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

J Mysterio wrote: »

It's been proven over the last few days on another thread that the 90's was the best decade for Film and Music, might as well add football to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

11 v 11 in Premier League and anyone can beat anyone. I see a return to normality this season. I see City losing 4-6 games like everyone else and drawing games like everyone else. 85pts could win it this season, it did most other seasons.

I think 90 or so points will win it. I think you're dead right about a return to "normality". I think city will be the ones to win on about 89 or 90 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I think the winning PTS total will be mid 80s this season,top 6 clubs should all be closer in terms of quality taking points off each other,really can't see it being 90 plus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Too lazy to go back and find the post but someone earlier today on here said points aims are pretty useless and I'd fully agree.
    Some seasons, under the Houllier/Thommo side another poster mentioned ended with huge tallies and we only lost out that time coz Arsenal were on fire. Other seasons you'd win the title with our tally that season.
    Last time if anyone had predicted how many points the winners would get, you'd have got laughed at, even allowing for them easing off the gas coz it was over before it began.
    Other times it's less.

It's a nonsense really, just aim to be up there come the last stretch and don't allow a gap to form ahead of us at any time, and then if we're in the mix going into the last 5 games we'll see what happens.

I'd say that's Klopp's mindset too, rather than saying we need X amount of points. Just make sure we're in the race when the finish line approaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Markovic is worth double figures at least,it hasnt worked out at liverpool but there is a good footballer there.

One of our worst signings ever imo. 7m! They should bite their hand off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's been proven over the last few days on another thread that the 90's was the best decade for Film and Music, might as well add football to that list.

Film has gotta be the 70's!

Palace expected to make a £20m bid for Ings over the weekend.

We are there Southampton.

Ings and Benteke are a strike force to strike fear.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement