Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No one does a meltdown like Mourinho its brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »

Depends how you look at it. Villa are about 12/1 to win the Championship, United about 25/1. So Villa more likely to compete to come up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Few lads on the united thread seem to think mourinho won't last the season. That's my opinion too. Seems like a man that needs a break from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dickerty wrote: »
    Depends how you look at it. Villa are about 12/1 to win the Championship, United about 25/1. So Villa more likely to compete to come up...

One plays Bruceball. The other does not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

rob316 wrote: »
    No one does a meltdown like Mourinho its brilliant to watch.

There are still United fans defending his behaviour, support like that is admirable but sadly misplaced. The man is not building anything but growing resentment, if I didn't dislike him so much as a person I would feel sympathy for the loyal United fans. Enough of them though, City are the team to reel in.

Big ask but am more hopeful (than at start of any previous season) of a proper title tilt. We have the players that Klopp wanted, no pressure now but let's win the bloody league please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Knex. wrote: »
    Dickerty wrote: »

And last year we sent Harry Wilson to struggling Hull City and it did him the world of good, as he was given a platform to thrive.

Alternatively, we sent Origi to Wolfsburg, a perceived big team and they struggled massively and ended up affecting him and had a bad season.

It can work both ways for sure, but loans have to suit the player. I wouldn't read too much into the club they go to, but instead the type of club and the football they play. for example I'd rather a lad go to Swansea on loan, rather than Middlesborough, even tho Boro would be seen as the club with higher targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Has their been anything else on Buvac? Haven’t kept up to date really with other news but has he taken up any other positions or do he expect him to come back?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seen on twitter that Mignolet has agreed personal terms in principle with Fenerbahce, and a loan with option to buy deal is likely to happen soon.

astradave wrote: »
    Has their been anything else on Buvac? Haven’t kept up to date really with other news but has he taken up any other positions or do he expect him to come back?

Pep Lijnders has been promoted to assistant as far as I know. Think Buvac is gone gone unfortunately.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Pep Lijnders has been promoted to assistant as far as I know. Think Buvac is gone gone unfortunately.

Ah right, Wonder if he will take up a manager role if he does end up as confirmed gone. I’m pretty interested to see how he gets on as a no.1 if it happens

Everyone knows the baggage Mourinho brings - whining and awful football. It's the trade off for winning silverware which is why fans accept him.

It usually ends with a meltdown.

Hopefully he doesn't go too soon though :(

5starpool wrote: »
    Seen on twitter that Mignolet has agreed personal terms in principle with Fenerbahce, and a loan with option to buy deal is likely to happen soon.

Good stuff

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Everyone knows the baggage Mourinho brings - whining and awful football. It's the trade off for winning silverware which is why fans accept him.

It usually ends with a meltdown.

Hopefully he doesn't go too soon though :(

I want him to do well enough that he stays, but not well enough that he actually wins the league or CL, or even comes that close to be honest.

I'd also be happy with him not managing in England and not having to see his miserable mug regularly, but only as long as utd hire someone worse. That Moyes chap is free again. Himself and Allardyce could be the dream team as joint managers perhaps.

Poch signed a new contract recently and that would be the one that I would not like United to get.

Mourinho signed the new contract a year ago, ready for his usual pay off. He'll be managing PSG in a year or two. The meltdown is fun to watch alright. Gone by Christmas. He is publicly setting them up to fail. There will be a gap between United & the rivals after a few games and he will blame the World Cup. Think they play Chelsea away in October and defeat there could he the straw to break the camel's back.

OR - he's deflecting pressure from his team, in private he'll be saying "No-one gives us a chance!", and hope's that will spark a fire in them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mourinho's a known quantity. Give him a great team and he'll grind out trophies.

The real shambles is the Utd Hierarchy. They've probably spent the bones of a billion quid since Ferguson left, and they've failed to show the faintest amount of vision for what the club is trying to be.

Say what you want about FSG, but they've had a general MO from the start and have tried to build a young team playing some kind of brand of attacking football. It took a few false starts and they had to go from being totally ignorant about how to run the football end of things, but their process has, I think, been largely vindicated, by getting us to where we are.

Probably need more than a League Cup to fully vindicate it, but they're putting us in the best position to do that of any management team since the end of Liverpool's domestic dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problem there is Ed Woodward and the supporters refuse to believe it as they go meme crazy when he signs some big name.
    A guy good with numbers and making deals but knows nothing about football. Sounds familiar? Ian Ayre

No coincidence that Liverpool's transfer business has improved dramatically since a DOF was installed instead of Ian Ayre the face of our transfers.

Mourinho worked under sporting directors at Inter, Real, Chelsea. He doesn't have that structure at United. Ferguson had Gill like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lads, no more Utd talk please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

FitzShane wrote: »

Have the details on his departure been made public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rob316 wrote: »
    The problem there is Ed Woodward and the supporters refuse to believe it as they go meme crazy when he signs some big name.
    A guy good with numbers and making deals but knows nothing about football. Sounds familiar? Ian Ayre

No coincidence that Liverpool's transfer business has improved dramatically since a DOF was installed instead of Ian Ayre the face of our transfers.

Mourinho worked under sporting directors at Inter, Real, Chelsea. He doesn't have that structure at United. Ferguson had Gill like.

In fairness to Ian Ayre he was also the CEO and main board director. It makes more sense to have a DOF working full time concentrating on transfers and that policy has being paying dividends. Ian Ayre though is the man responsible for one of our best ever signings in that Jurgen Klopp fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Any more word on /if Feckir is still being sought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

cjmc wrote: »

Probably not this window

Also, i find it ridiculous our transfer window shuts before everyone elses. Means you could get really shafted if your best players leaves between the start of the PL season and end of August

Seems very unlikely. Talk that he'll sign a new contract now as we have not gone back in for him. More links to Pulisic now, but hard to know if that is all just pure BS. I suspect we are done with incomings.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Have the details on his departure been made public?

Not that I am aware of. It may be a long time before we find out.

I'm starting to think we are going to leave it. I read recently that someone met James Pearce at an event in NYC. He said that Pearce said that Liverpool are very very worried about the knee injury and that there is no guarantee that his knee would not blow up again within 2 years. They're not happy with the type of surgery done on it.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Probably not this window

Also, i find it ridiculous our transfer window shuts before everyone elses. Means you could get really shafted if your best players leaves between the start of the PL season and end of August

You don't have to sell! And you are less likely to panic-sell and panic-buy when a bid comes in after 2 weeks of the season because some bigger clubs decides they need a new striker after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    Mourinho's a known quantity. Give him a great team and he'll grind out trophies.

The real shambles is the Utd Hierarchy. They've probably spent the bones of a billion quid since Ferguson left, and they've failed to show the faintest amount of vision for what the club is trying to be.

Say what you want about FSG, but they've had a general MO from the start and have tried to build a young team playing some kind of brand of attacking football. It took a few false starts and they had to go from being totally ignorant about how to run the football end of things, but their process has, I think, been largely vindicated, by getting us to where we are.

Probably need more than a League Cup to fully vindicate it, but they're putting us in the best position to do that of any management team since the end of Liverpool's domestic dominance.
    I agree Utd's recruitment has been poor since 2013.

But if Guardiola,Poch,Klopp or even Sarri had a team of
    De Gea

Valencia Bailly Lindeloff/Smalling Shaw
    Matic
    Pogba Fred
    Sanchez Lukaku Martial

They would be much better off.
    That is a good team.

7 players in that team signed by Mourinho as well.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I agree Utd's recruitment has been poor since 2013.

But if Guardiola,Poch,Klopp or even Sarri had a team of
    De Gea

Valencia Bailly Lindeloff/Smalling Shaw
    Matic
    Pogba Fred
    Sanchez Lukaku Martial

They would be much better off.
    That is a good team.

7 players in that team signed by Mourinho as well.

Someone missed the warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Someone missed the warning

just seen it now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DjcFz0EXoAAeRiY.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is he squeezing a lime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Captureoi.jpg

Capturexz.jpg

Firmino had a rethink on hair .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably not this window

Makes me very thankful we don't have any buyout clauses anymore, means we're in control of anyone leaving. So I'm quite liking this early window thing... especially the way the club has gone about their business, getting everything done in plenty of time.

As I've said, i'd love one more option for depth up top, but that's only because of how good the squad looks... looks right on the verge of title challenging, so would be a shame if a title tilt were to fall apart due to a lack of options at some key moment down the line.

For this season i'd be very happy if we managed to get second, and be in the right position to take advantage in the unlikely offchance City regress at some point. Really really want us to win a trophy though... any trophy really! Need to get that monkey off their back after so many final defeats in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For this season i'd be very happy if we managed to get second, and be in the right position to take advantage in the unlikely offchance City regress at some point. Really really want us to win a trophy though... any trophy really! Need to get that monkey off their back after so many final defeats in a row.

Yes, that's my thinking as well. Hopefully we can get second at least and if City have an off season that we are there to take advantage.

Regarding any trophy, how does wrestling the we-wudda-won-de-league-if-city-t'weren't-in-it trophy from United sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Salah's like "told ya!" to Wiji :P

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I wonder will new contracts have stipulations regarding the buyout clause with the way the PL transfer window works now. Liverpool have been leaving them out of their contracts if the rumours are true but some teams could get fcuked over by older contracts' buyout clauses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Parried it back into play. No better than Karius.

Achterberg out.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I'm hoping to be in Manchester on the weekend of the 25 the. Might head up to the Brighton game so was just wondering where I'd be able to pick up a couple of thickets. Where would be the best site to get them. Hope it's ok to post here. Sorry if it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm hoping to be in Manchester on the weekend of the 25 the. Might head up to the Brighton game so was just wondering where I'd be able to pick up a couple of thickets. Where would be the best site to get them. Hope it's ok to post here. Sorry if it's not

There's a tickets section here which might be worth a look; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=896

Also IrishKop can be quite good, if you're a member there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Really looking fwd to Saturday evening at the Aviva. Bringing my two boys. They are 5 and 6.

Went looking for Liverpool jerseys in shops today and at that age group you have to buy the full kit, socks and shorts included....50 euro a set. I assume the full kit w...ker title has an exception clause for kids as I know they will want to wear the full gear!

They are also doing a soccer camp this week so I'm sure they will be wearing their new kits tmw, so tonight I'll have to educate them that some of the coaches might give them some "banter" at their choice of club.

Hopefully we have a good mix of players on the day. Alisson to debut? Would love to see Keita in the flesh too, really expecting big things from him this season.

Roll on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Sorry for the Man U mention again, but what can you do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Really looking fwd to Saturday evening at the Aviva. Bringing my two boys. They are 5 and 6.

Went looking for Liverpool jerseys in shops today and at that age group you have to buy the full kit, socks and shorts included....50 euro a set. I assume the full kit w...ker title has an exception clause for kids as I know they will want to wear the full gear!

They are also doing a soccer camp this week so I'm sure they will be wearing their new kits tmw, so tonight I'll have to educate them that some of the coaches might give them some "banter" at their choice of club.

Hopefully we have a good mix of players on the day. Alisson to debut? Would love to see Keita in the flesh too, really expecting big things from him this season.

Roll on the weekend

Enjoy the game, I'd love to be going, especially in your situation. Must be a tremendously proud experience.

PS of course kids get a pass on the full kit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Hahaha AB1, staking his claim for the number 1 jersey. I really hope this is the goalkeeper situation sorted, I remember how happy I was for the 2-3 seasons Reina was on form. Setting records he was that good.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

He has seriously quick feet, but that is a terrible shot, who’s that taking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Grujic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Grujic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The telegraph (i know) claim we are willing to sell migs and karius. Surely not? Ward is gone. We still have bogdan i think??? But we would have no cover for Becker if anything happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mr.H wrote: »
    The telegraph (i know) claim we are willing to sell migs and karius. Surely not? Ward is gone. We still have bogdan i think??? But we would have no cover for Becker if anything happened

Bogdan joined Hibernians on loan earlier this summer. He's never leaving, is he?

Migs is surely gone but I don't see Karius going anywhere this summer; at least not without a replacement coming in. If he does, it's Kelleher and Grabara for the back up, isn't it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement