Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr.H wrote: »
    The telegraph (i know) claim we are willing to sell migs and karius. Surely not? Ward is gone. We still have bogdan i think??? But we would have no cover for Becker if anything happened

Might be working on a older guy to come in and be a bench option and promoting one of the younger guys to third choice.

Ming should be gone and a loan move for Karius would be best for him now to get him out of the spotlight and rebuild his confidence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mr.H wrote: »
    The telegraph (i know) claim we are willing to sell migs and karius. Surely not? Ward is gone. We still have bogdan i think??? But we would have no cover for Becker if anything happened

Bogdan is up with the wildlings north of the wall somewhere. If we sell Mignolet and Karius, then barring someone else coming in, our back up will be Grabara and Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bogdan joined Hibernians on loan earlier this summer. He's never leaving, is he?

Migs is surely gone but I don't see Karius going anywhere this summer; at least not without a replacement coming in. If he does, it's Kelleher and Grabara for the back up, isn't it?

Who could we realistically sell Karius to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Who could we realistically sell Karius to?

Lots of clubs would take a stab at him. Setting aside THAT game, he was mostly excellent for the previous 6 months. Won us a lot of points. A good scout would see past one bad game. Strikers miss open goals, doesn't make them terrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Bogdan joined Hibernians on loan earlier this summer. He's never leaving, is he?

Red for life haha. Whether we like it or not.
    Migs is surely gone but I don't see Karius going anywhere this summer; at least not without a replacement coming in. If he does, it's Kelleher and Grabara for the back up, isn't it?

It would be risky to have two kids as the only back up to be honest i do prefer it to Bogdan as he isnt great anyway sp we might as well give two promising keepers some game time instead of him.

So yea i would agree the only way i could see karius leaving is if we got a replacement. Migs already said he wants out. I wouldnt mind bringing in a bit of experience as back up alright. I wonder if Joe Hart would like to warm our bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Real Madrid approached 26-year-old Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah about replacing Cristiano Ronaldo after selling the 33-year-old Portugal international to Juventus.(El Pais, via Star)

Is this allowed or simply frowned upon? I appreciate I'm being blinkered vis-a-vis the Van Dijk issue last year but I'm a football fan and inherently irrational.

I also see Barcelona are interested in Mig. It was reported earlier we were looking at one of their keepers. We should just swap. It's so difficult to separate real journalism from the made up stuff now.

The back-up keeper is always a difficult one - no top class keeper will accept sitting on the bench 85% of the time, but you cannot risk a kid in case you have an injury that means your first choice is out for long. Since Alisson is 110% our first choice, whoever we have as second choice needs to accept the splinters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Real Madrid approached 26-year-old Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah about replacing Cristiano Ronaldo after selling the 33-year-old Portugal international to Juventus.(El Pais, via Star)

Is this allowed or simply frowned upon? I appreciate I'm being blinkered vis-a-vis the Van Dijk issue last year but I'm a football fan and inherently irrational.

I also see Barcelona are interested in Mig. It was reported earlier we were looking at one of their keepers. We should just swap. It's so difficult to separate real journalism from the made up stuff now.
    Surely Mig's wont go to Barca , Hasn't he said he needs to be first choice at his age ? ,
    So how many goals do we think Salah will get this year i'll go 22 in the Prem ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d hope he can go 30 again. We need him, Mane and Firmino to do the same again if we are going to have a shot at the league. Without any striker cover, bar Sturridge, we need them all to stay fit.

• Advertisement

Surely Mig's wont go to Barca , Hasn't he said he needs to be first choice at his age ? ,

15-20 in the league, Bobby and Mane with the 15 as well.

I'm expecting a decent few from midfield this year though with Kieta, Henderson, Lalana and Gini all chipping in with between 5-10 each. Fabhino could get a few as well if he's on penalties.

VVD (and Lovern to a lesser extent) to get a few as well.

Edit: Sturridge to get 10 if he stays fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Dickerty wrote:
    Lots of clubs would take a stab at him. Setting aside THAT game, he was mostly excellent for the previous 6 months. Won us a lot of points. A good scout would see past one bad game. Strikers miss open goals, doesn't make them terrible...

Thats the thing. I could actually see him do a great job for a team like Leicester. Someone with a strong defensive set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think about 25. I can't see him breaking 30 again. No offence to him or anything. I just think he may have had a bit of a freak season. But 25 goals every season would still be world class and eventually be a club legend if he stays long term along with klopp. Silverware is inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think Salah will be close to 30 again or exceed it

I feel to get over 30 again he'd have to be on pen's , Its outrageous to score so many from open play ,

The thing about Salah is the amount of chances he had last year. He won't get loads of room, but at the same time, his pace and natural positioning in goal scoring positions, with the amount of chances we create should still hopefully see him score 20+ goals this season. I doubt it'll be 40+ again, but if fit, our front 3 main guys should get 20+ each hopefully in all comps, which would set us up nicely, but those behind will have to chip in more, although if those guys can get 90+ again between them, I'm ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge to score 35 if he stays fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another nice long read by Melissa Reddy, about Rhian Brewster this time.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/rhian-brewster-exclusive-the-golden-boy-next-door-192828

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Fabhino could get a few as well if he's on penalties.

Has there been anything said to suggest he'll take over pens from Milner? News to me

Mane has been taking all pens in preseason.

x43r0 wrote: »
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Fabhino could get a few as well if he's on penalties.

Has there been anything said to suggest he'll take over pens from Milner? News to me
    Looks like Mane is on pen's ,
    He took them whenever he played in pre-season even when Milner and Fab where on the pitch

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »

Well the fact Milner probably won't be starting I'd say he's less likely to take them.

In the vast majority of games it'll be Fabby, Nabby and Henderson. Lalana will feature quite a bit instead of Henderson as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Fieldog wrote: »
    I thought it was Mane about to sign a new 5 year deal

It's about nothing at all.

It's about nothing at all.

Exactly. It's about someone spouting crap and others getting excited for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Confirmed - Woodburn off to the blades on load

Now to get rid of Ings, Origi, Markovic, Mig and Karius which is quite a lot in 9 days though four of them will end up abroad no doubt.

Talk of Chirivella heading to Spain not Rosenberg despite a supposed deal done.

So if Karius and Migs do leave anyone any thought on a good second choice keeper ?
    Would someone like Sommer fancy being second choice ? Hart is he up to it ?
    Any one else we could get ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

5starpool wrote: »
    Exactly. It's about someone spouting crap and others getting excited for no reason.

I clicked, I baited, and got sucked in for a brief moment before reality kicked in... :(

• Advertisement

Now to get rid of Ings, Origi, Markovic, Mig and Karius which is quite a lot in 9 days though four of them will end up abroad no doubt.

Talk of Chirivella heading to Spain not Rosenberg despite a supposed deal done.
    Id imagine Ings knows his new home already but they are likely getting rid of players to get his wages first,
    Otherwise why wasn't he in the states with the squad ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Confirmed - Woodburn off to the blades on load

Harry's loan watch might take an interesting turn.

Is Manninger still at the club he must be what 140 now he could still do the job as second choice. ;)

Omzlfc: Lallana/Sturridge/Matip missing from the morning session.
    Wonder if there injured or just on a slightly different programme to the rest of the squad, which would make sense as they are 3 injury prone players,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Saw a bit on Twitter that we might pull another Keita move for Pulisic and get him in for next summer? Wouldn't mind that myself

So if Karius and Migs do leave anyone any thought on a good second choice keeper ?
    Would someone like Sommer fancy being second choice ? Hart is he up to it ?
    Any one else we could get ,

It'll have to be someone who's nearing the end of thier career. Someone like Green for Chelsea.

Is Manninger still at the club he must be what 140 now he could still do the job as second choice. ;)

Retired I believe.

Properly retired this time, not just his sitting on the bench trick that he was getting away with for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Another nice long read by Melissa Reddy, about Rhian Brewster this time.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/rhian-brewster-exclusive-the-golden-boy-next-door-192828

Cheers for that, great read, have seen interviews where he comes across as a decent lad and that shows it more. Was impressed with the bit about working in the homeless shelter - the academy seem to have their sh!t together about developing rounded men and not just spoilt footballers.

Ben Woodburn and that's not the local chipper sponsoring the shirt

DjggGMMXoAA_u44.jpg

• Advertisement

Omzlfc: Lallana/Sturridge/Matip missing from the morning session.
    Wonder if there injured or just on a slightly different programme to the rest of the squad, which would make sense as they are 3 injury prone players,

Strangest mod warning I've ever read :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

8-10 wrote: »
    I think Salah will be close to 30 again or exceed it

No, his 30th birthday is a few years away yet..

Saw a bit on Twitter that we might pull another Keita move for Pulisic and get him in for next summer? Wouldn't mind that myself

I guessed we might do that, but I have no source. Just like most of Twitter.
    His contract has two years, he won't sign a new one when he is attracting so much interest. Signing a deal to join in a year gives Dortmund a guaranteed price, which might go down in a year with 12 months left, and time to find a replacement. And means we are ahead of the danger of losing one of Mane or Salah if a huge bid comes in...

Iv a feeling we won't have Keita for the west ham game due to that neck injury ,
    Iv looked at the photos of the training session this morning in France, he seems to have done the running warm up but  was no where to be seen when the football was taking place,

Joyce on Pulisic.

Klopp likes him but not at £60m.
    Before Manchester United departed their angst-ridden tour of the United States, there was still time for José Mourinho to offer up one more utterance which sharpened the contrast between himself and Jürgen Klopp.

The United manager was discussing transfers and attempting to explain why a tantrum is never seemingly far away while the window remains open.

“In every pre-season it happens the same, with every club, which is that the manager wants more,” said Mourinho. “It’s our nature, you always want more for your team.”

Klopp, however, does not want more. He publicly stated as much after the friendly win over Blackburn Rovers on July 20 and we only have to wait eight more days to find out if, as it seems, the Liverpool manager is a man of his word.

It will mean no Nabil Fekir, the Lyons attacker’s failed medical put paid to that, and no late bid for Christian Pulisic despite the noise surrounding the American international.

It is coming up to two years since Liverpool bid about £11 million for Pulisic, then a highly-rated 17-year-old. The offer was instantly dismissed and to see that his value has apparently soared to £62 million, the reputed figure at which Borussia Dortmund would consider doing business, would seem to suggest a talent who has made remarkable strides in the interim.

Pulisic is valued at around £60 million by Borussia Dortmund Pulisic is valued at around £60 million by Borussia Dortmund But if you crunch the numbers, then it becomes clear why Liverpool — and specifically Klopp given his inside knowledge of the player and his former club — would baulk at making a bid at that price.

In the last two seasons, Pulisic has scored seven goals and provided 14 assists in the Bundesliga. In some quarters that will not been viewed as too bad given he does not turn 20 until next month (English team-mate Jadon Sancho, 18, scored once and produced four assists in 12 top flight games last term).

Yet Liverpool would not countenance paying £62million for a player to sit on the bench and those figures indicate that Pulisic, adept on either wing and also as a No 10, would be some way behind a regular starting place at Anfield.

To pay that sort of money, Klopp would have to be buying someone who he planned to start more often than not and Pulisic is not at that point in his career irrespective of what he, himself, might think.

Mohamed Salah scored 32 goals and produced 11 assists in the Premier League last season, Roberto Firmino 15 and seven respectively and Sadio Mané ten and seven. The bar is set higher than it has been in a long time.

For more context, Xherdan Shaqiri has scored 12 goals and delivered nine assists in two Premier League seasons at Stoke City. He is 26, of course, but cost £13.5 million.

Scratch a little further and Pulisic scored once in his final 19 appearances of the 2017-18 campaign and completed 90 minutes on just four occasions.

Still, Pulisic is a player that Klopp likes, so what happens next?

On the one hand, he pushes on and improves his output and productivity because Liverpool have shown this year with Virgil van Dijk, Naby Keïta and Alisson that they are not averse to paying big money for players they believe will come into the starting XI.

Alternatively, he sits tight on a contract which has two years left to run in the expectation that Dortmund would have to sell him for a reduced fee next summer rather than risk losing him for nothing.

Liverpool will continue to monitor the talent, but unless the numbers start stacking up on the pitch then there is no guarantee they will lead the chase

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/juergen-klopp-likes-christian-pulisic-but-the-numbers-do-not-stack-up-for-liverpool-3q90jx9k6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I wouldn't dismiss the Twitter thing out of hand. A few of the usual heads are tweeting very cryptically and I remember a day or so before it was revealed we'd gone back in for Alisson Andy Heaton had dismissed the idea of Ward as #1 in a wink-and-nod kind of way. He and a gang of others are doing a bunch of emoji clues at present.

IMO it's probably an outgoing player rather than one coming in but let's wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

There is one quote in that article, and its from Mourinho! Some people are artists at filling space on a page

There is one quote in that article, and its from Mourinho! Some people are artists at filling space on a page

And he is considered one of the top two ITK Journo's connected to the club.

Rarely ever does news get broken by the typical Liverpool journos anymore. The club has clamped down on it.

The news usually comes from other countries, such was the case with Fekir and Alisson. If there was something to the Pulisic story, I'd nearly expect news from Germany to be floating around.

Many lap up that sort of rubbish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I didn't know his stats before though and now I do, they aren't 60m worth are they

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement