Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Have we just one qualifier to get through for entry to the group stages of the CL?

No.

Noooo.

Nnnoooo9ooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So are we through already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Nope, new rules we qualify automatically. Eng/Spain/Germany/Italy same ...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Only 10 more sleeps before the West Ham game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

"I enjoyed that post with four massive pictures so much, I should quote it in my reply"

My mind-reading skills are amateur at best but thought it was worth a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think how much success we have this season will depend on injuries to key players, Mane, Salah and VVD being the obvious ones, i think everywhere else we have decent enough cover.

+Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So Allison's going to make his debut against Napoli on Sunday. Does that mean that......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ste- wrote: »
    +Firmino.

+ Robertson

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

+Allison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

So Allison's going to make his debut against Napoli on Sunday. Does that mean that......

It's a Shame About K...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I hoped things would work out better for Danny with us, absolute shame about his injuries.
    I really do hope he succeeds and gets his career back on track.

When he got games towards the end of last season, he was just trying to force the ball into the net a bit too much, but he never stopped working once he got on the pitch.

He also appears to be well liked about the place as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Fieldog wrote: »

If thats true Michael Edwards should get half the fee. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

gafferino wrote: »
    If thats true Michael Edwards should get half the fee. Unreal.

I think Burnley would be due 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

corwill wrote: »
    I think Burnley would be due 20%.

Really?

He came to us on a free transfer, and we then paid compensation to Burnley as part of the u23 rule. It wasn't a regular transfer afaik, so unsure how the sell-on clause is included? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

I wonder if that's what all the cryptic tweets were from 2 days ago about great business - that they were about this outgoing business and not an incoming transfer. Glad he got a price that puts a decent value on his talent considering his injury history, he deserves a shot at regular footie and really hope it works out for him. Best of luck to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FitzShane wrote: »
    Really?

He came to us on a free transfer, and we then paid compensation to Burnley as part of the u23 rule. It wasn't a regular transfer afaik, so unsure how the sell-on clause is included? :confused:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/28/liverpool-burnley-danny-ings-tribunal-record
    Liverpool have been ordered to pay Burnley a record tribunal fee for Danny Ings of £6.5m plus £1.5m in add-ons.

Ings left Turf Moor when his contract expired at the end of last season but, as he is under 24, Burnley were entitled to compensation for his development. Burnley had demanded around £12m for the striker and argued that competition from Tottenham Hotspur justified that sum, while Liverpool had initially offered £6m.

Having listened to submissions from Liverpool and Burnley this week, the tribunal has set Ings’ total fee at £8m with £6.5m to be paid initially. The fee beats the £3.5m plus £3m in add-ons that Manchester City were awarded by a tribunal when Daniel Sturridge moved to Chelsea in 2009. City also received 15% of Sturridge’s £12m transfer fee when he moved to Liverpool in January 2013.

Burnley will get 20% of any profit that Liverpool make on the sale of the striker. Their chief executive, David Baldwin, said: “We acknowledge and accept the tribunal’s decision. We feel we must reiterate this is an unprecedented record payment for training compensation and not a transfer fee.

“As the initial fee decided by the committee represents almost double the previous record for a tribunal, this fully justifies our decision to press ahead with what we felt was a fair reflection of the part Burnley Football Club played in Danny’s development.”

Ings made his England debut in October only to suffer a cruciate ligament injury that has prevented him from appearing under Jürgen Klopp shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I hoped things would work out better for Danny with us, absolute shame about his injuries.
    I really do hope he succeeds and gets his career back on track.

When he got games towards the end of last season, he was just trying to force the ball into the net a bit too much, but he never stopped working once he got on the pitch.

He also appears to be well liked about the place as well.
    He was never good enough For us,
    The games he played at the end of the season if you take sentiment out of it they where pretty painful to watch
     His first touch is awful always left him chasing the ball or his head in his hands giving out to himself,

fair enough! Don't remember that at the time to be honest.

Edit: 20% on any profit.

24m-8m =16m *20% = 3.2m owed to Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£36.5m for Ward and Ings is amazing work from Edwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Get £20m for Migs and that's the initial Alison fee paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TitianGerm wrote: »

Don't see anyone paying that. I'd keep him as back up, he's contracted for a few more years anyway right? I think his value as a back up outweighs the fee we'd get. I'd take 20m but don't think we'll get it.

I'd prefer him on the bench than Karius at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

and talks of £15m for Ojo

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-to-consider-sheyi-ojo-sale-as-west-bromwich-albion/15xvwoqi4hqnr1b0wpyvvcvyrl
    TitianGerm wrote: »

Think we are struggling to offload Mignolet. He'll probably go for closer to £10m I would assume.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Palace do sign Ings, it will be probably more like 18m + 6m in add ons or something. Still a good deal though given how little he has played and his injuries since he signed. He was very unlucky. I'm not convinced that he was ever good enough to be anything more than a bit part player anyhow, but he never really got the chance with those horrible injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Any team spending 24m pounds on Danny Ings need their collective heads examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've never wished a player as well as I do for Ings. His big move ruined by 2 awful injuries, personally think he could of been a great squad player for us, decent impact sub maybe. Good guy by all accounts too.

That fee is huge though for a guy who has made 25 appearance in 3 seasons. You would imagine that £24m is heavily made up of appearance related add-ons.

If Palace do sign Ings they are going with the classic big man small man up top with Benteke & Ings you would have to imagine and with Zaha firing in crosses I would expect Ings to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If Palace do sign Ings they are going with the classic big man small man up top with Benteke & Ings you would have to imagine and with Zaha firing in crosses I would expect Ings to do well.

If Zaha stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Classic Roy Hodgson

Remember when we were all about him having years of experience from different leagues around the world. Fúcking 4-4-2 merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FitzShane wrote: »
    and talks of £15m for Ojo

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-to-consider-sheyi-ojo-sale-as-west-bromwich-albion/15xvwoqi4hqnr1b0wpyvvcvyrl

Think we are struggling to offload Mignolet. He'll probably go for closer to £10m I would assume.

I’d rather keep Mig as no 2/3 than Karius.. I’ve never seen anything about Karius to suggest he’s a decent goalkeeper. No saves of note , distribution poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cjmc wrote: »
    I’d rather keep Mig as no 2/3 than Karius.. I’ve never seen anything about Karius to suggest he’s a decent goalkeeper. No saves of note , distribution poor.

I think Mig wants to be a starter at his age so that probably won't happen IMO...

Just reading an article on the team that is using this Xg Stat that we saw used a lot last season by papers even MoTD.

StatBomb have shown Solanke's Xg was the top in the entire squad.

I would expect him to do a lot better this season when he gets his chances.

Xg = expected goals from chances created.

Small sample size would be the knock on that. Also not sure on the context of the games he played in.

I do think there's a decent player there, though.

Of course the sample size isn't great.

I think it shows more that he is getting into the right places and getting the chances.

• Advertisement

Just reading an article on the team that is using this Xg Stat that we saw used a lot last season by papers even MoTD.

StatBomb have shown Solanke's Xg was the top in the entire squad.

I would expect him to do a lot better this season when he gets his chances.

Xg = expected goals from chances created.
    Solanke has been awful for us,
    It's quite clear he will never make it here ,

It's the optimism that keeps me coming back to this forum.

:P

In reality, though, I agree that he won't ever be a star for us. His strengths aren't maximised in our style of play. He could well carve out a career in the PL, but it won't be at Liverpool as far as I can see.

..........getting into the right places and getting the chances and converting feck all.

Ok

That's definitely not clear based on the evidence of who's been allowed to go out on loan or be sold ahead of him.

• Advertisement

He's not 21 yet anyway, at worst it's a risk free punt :)
    He's shown something for a couple of years. Featuring in a PL challenging team is quite a task too to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

D'Agger wrote: »
    Classic Roy Hodgson

Remember when we were all about him having years of experience from different leagues around the world. Fúcking 4-4-2 merchant.

which would be gas, considering they played their best football when Benteke was out of the team and they were playing counter attacking football with Zaha up top.

can't help himself.

It's way too early to tell.

Lewandowski was dog crap for Dortmund his first year there. Missed everything and he was starting every game and came from Poland where he was playing every game there too.

Solanke needs minutes, but Klopp seemingly wants him around the squad. He turns 21 in September, so ideally this is the year he'd be on loan, but there's always next year, or even January, if he doesn't kick on and make an impact between now and then.

I wouldn't be completely writing him off yet. Bigger strikers who don't rely on pace often take a while to adjust to the top level.

Augeo wrote: »
    He's not 21 yet anyway, at worst it's a risk free punt :)
    He's shown something for a couple of years. Featuring in a PL challenging team is quite a task too to be fair.

That's true and, to his credit, he was often put on at the same time that 1/2 of the front 3 were withdrawn. He wasn't getting 70/80 minutes with Salah and Mané and under-performing, he was coming into a side that was usually preparing to sit deep and punt it long with no real pace in it.

Like I said, I hope he does well here. I just think that his strengths would work better at a different side rather than one that presses, harries and relies on pace up top.

8-10 wrote: »

That's definitely not clear based on the evidence of who's been allowed to go out on loan or be sold ahead of him.
    If Dom played for at of our rivals you wouldn't be worried about him at all turning into a top 4 striker,
    Need to take the rose tinted glasses off , he's been pretty awful since he joined us,
    Think of it like this at his age Ngog had more goals for us,

At his age Harry Kane was sitting on the benches of Leicester City (Beside Jamie Vardy who also wasn't getting games) & Norwich City in the Championship not getting games and Spurs were really to let him go but got no offers for him.

He may never turn into a Harry Kane but players develop at different ages.

Salah is 26 and has turned into a world class goal scorer in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

so your telling me, we sold two dannys,for one mohammed !!

At his age Harry Kane was sitting on the benches of Leicester City & Norwich City in the Championship not getting games and Spurs were really to let him go but got no offers for him.

He may never turn into a Harry Kane but players develop at different ages.

Salah is 26 and has turned into a world class goal scorer in the last year.
    Salah was great at Basel , Kane at 20 had scored 3 prem goals in just 10- games at Spurs and the following season exploded ,Even for the England under 21's Kane was 8 in 14 games.
    All you mentioned have show way more than Dom has,
    If your honest and fair there isn't one part of Dom's game that has looked impressive so far ?

Salah was great at Basel , Kane at 20 had scored 3 prem goals in just 10- games at Spurs and the following season exploded ,Even for the England under 21's Kane was 8 in 14 games.
    All you mentioned have show way more than Dom has,
    If your honest and fair there isn't one part of Dom's game that has looked impressive so far ?

Ok

If Dom played for at of our rivals you wouldn't be worried about him at all turning into a top 4 striker,
    Need to take the rose tinted glasses off , he's been pretty awful since he joined us,
    Think of it like this at his age Ngog had more goals for us,

A week ago you were saying he should get a loan to play every week because he's got a higher ceiling than Origi....
    Makes sense to sell Origi,
    He will fetch the most money , isn't as good as Studge and Solanke has possible a higher ceiling than him,
    I really think Solanke needs a loan move just to play every week,

Why would you say he needs a loan deal if you're saying it's clear he will never make it here?

I'm not arguing that he's not been poor for us to date, I'm just stating that I don't think it's clear that he's not going to make it, as you say we don't know his ceiling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement