Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's nice of you to write him off after a few pre season games.
    It is about being realistic not getting carried away from pre-season.

Time will tell but I would be very surprised if he became a regular first team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was really impressed with Keita, in the first half he mugged a Napoli player in possession near to where we were sitting and I couldnt get over the speed he nicked the ball and transitioned the play into attack. He is going to be the Firmino of our midfield.

https://twitter.com/Watch_LFC/status/1025818274301444096

Nice touch.

As a Spurs fan, I was wondering where Daniel Levy was. Think I’ve just found him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I don’t follow much italian football but how good was napoli’s squad ? I get we were a week ahead in prep , but how many first teamers had they got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

De Bhál wrote: »
    Just back from Lansdowne Road. Great atmosphere.
    A friendly so wouldn't read too much into it... Two things that stood out to me
    1. Shaqiri was class
    2. Allison didn't instill any confidence in me.

Great night though.

Four things relating to this:-

1. We have been conditioned over the last few years to be fearful of goalies making mistakes.

2. Alisson is here a wet week with a world record transfer fee on his back so he must be a bit nervous himself and also hasn't had much time to adapt to the different pace of the PL Vs the Italian League.

3. Alisson's stats over the entirety of last season show he didn't make a single mistake which led to a goal. http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11440873/alisson-1718-stats

4. He's keeping Ederson out of the Brazil #1 spot and those boys know a bit about football.

If he can get 3-4 games under his belt without a major howler the confidence everyone has in him will sky rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Milner is a player that any footballer or aspiring should look at.

at 32 he is fitter than anyone in the squad & has improved as a footballer under Klopp.

I think he will start vs West Ham as well despite the new signings in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How can you even comment on Alisson, he had nothing to do.
    I'll say his distribution was good and looked comfortable with the ball at his feet but as far as his goalkeeping goes nothing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

rob316 wrote: »
    How can you even comment on Alisson, he had nothing to do.
    I'll say his distribution was good and looked comfortable with the ball at his feet but as far as his goalkeeping goes nothing to say.

Sure that's why we're here, to comment. But yeah definitely way to early to make any assumptions but I only commented on what I saw.

The poster a couple of posts above summed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Anybody see milly’s instagram ?

Pure gold ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don’t follow much italian football but how good was napoli’s squad ? I get we were a week ahead in prep , but how many first teamers had they got

Finished their season off with 92 maybe even 93 points, thats enough to win a title in most countries but came 2nd behind Juve.

This doesn't mean anything really as its only a preseason friendly and they sold their best goalie (Reina) to Milan;).

Not to get your hopes up but this is the best squad of players that I can remember:D Liverpool have had some good first XI but there is a really good 20 odd players now.

2. Alisson ......also hasn't had much time to adapt to the different pace of the PL Vs the Italian League.

We didn't just play stoke on a wet Monday night BTW :pac:

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

More chances now of a Tuesday or Wednesday in a league cup game so it might end up been Karius.

Pace of how quick he's being judged. Keep up!!

Pace of how quick he's being judged. Keep up!!

I don't think anyone is judging :)
    However he hasn't faced PL opposition as yet.
    You made a point that he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the PL after he featured in a game against an Italian club.

You can keep your "keep up" & exclamation marks too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not a bad atmosphere for a friendly.

Great to see such a strong team start, great for the fans.

Keita going to be some player for us. He jumped out of many tackles tonight I reckon he's going to be nailed for yellow card bets!

Salah way off the pace. Mane and Firmino looked good for parts.

Clyne nailed for right full this season.

Gomez should not never play as a full back again, we very impressed.

Allison seriously dodgy. Missed a lot of crosses into the box. Seems over confident
    Distribution good when lots of time and space, but sure who isn't. Hopefully just nerves.

John Achterberg doing his thing already :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Karius flapped at a save and left the ball through his legs again in the warmup. The man must be going through a psychological nightmare these last few months.

Keeping him at the club for the year would nearly be cruel. He needs a new scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    There’s this small part of me that expects West Ham to have their best game of the season next Sunday before slinking back to insignificance, and this place to be in full blown meltdown after they beat us.
    On the evidence of pre-season, West Ham will definitely have to be at their very best to win the game. I've watched some of their games and they are still a bit disjointed. The pre-season opposition they faced seem to have been chosen to breathe some confidence into the players to attack. The lineups have suggested that they play 4-3-3 but it has been 4-5-1. They will be an exciting team to watch at times but they are missing a quality central midfielder and a centre forward to deliver a consistent threat.

All of their attacking threat has come from pace out wide using wingers (Yarmolenko/Anderson and Antonio/Snodgrass) and overlapping fullbacks (Cresswell/Masuaku and Fredericks/Zabaleta) delivering crosses/cut backs to the 18 yard box. Yarmolenko and Anderson drift inside like right sided players playing on the left and slide passes for Cresswell/Masuaku or Arnautovic to run on to. Antonio and Fredericks are two speed merchants that look like they have a good understanding on the right.

Arnautovic has been foraging on his own up front. He was effective against the poorest opposition (Wycombe/Preston) and was relatively anonymous against Villa, Mainz and Angers.

Central midfield is their key weakness, especially when Wilshere and Noble are two of the three that have started there. They reminded me of the standing statues we had in midfield when Barnes was paired with Redknapp. Declan Rice has anchored the midfield but he can't cover all of it on his own and as a result they have been very susceptible to counter attacks. On Friday they were carved open by Angers (Ligue 1) several times but there wasn't the composure to finish the opportunities.

It's difficult to judge the defenders, they seem comfortable on the ball but didn't face any real opposition that would present a defensive challenge for them. The fullbacks push forward at every opportunity and leave space behind them to exploit. Balbuena is going to be the leader of their defence but there are some communication issues at present. Adrian and Fabianski are both capable keepers and Adrian will probably be first choice initially because he seems to communicate better with Balbuena.

I think Felipe Anderson is going to be their Coutinho, quick feet, sharp passing and set piece delivery. He seems to be a step above the players around him but he won't enjoy the same time and space against Liverpool as he has been allowed in pre-season games. It will be interesting to see him against a real team but he's definitely a Fantasy Football pick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Phillips done well but I don't think he will be making it in the 1st team.

Curtis Jones is a big talent. Better than Woodburn imo.
    Was better than him in the Youth League last year as well.

Was really impressed with Jones from what I saw. Has that simple yet rare talent of being able to receive the ball, turn into space and move it forward quickly (instead of sideways). Want to watch the match back on the telly but agree he looked great.

Talisman wrote: »
    On the evidence of pre-season, West Ham will definitely have to be at their very best to win the game. I've watched some of their games and they are still a bit disjointed. The pre-season opposition they faced seem to have been chosen to breathe some confidence into the players to attack. The lineups have suggested that they play 4-3-3 but it has been 4-5-1. They will be an exciting team to watch at times but they are missing a quality central midfielder and a centre forward to deliver a consistent threat.

All of their attacking threat has come from pace out wide using wingers (Yarmolenko/Anderson and Antonio/Snodgrass) and overlapping fullbacks (Cresswell/Masuaku and Fredericks/Zabaleta) delivering crosses/cut backs to the 18 yard box. Yarmolenko and Anderson drift inside like right sided players playing on the left and slide passes for Cresswell/Masuaku or Arnautovic to run on to. Antonio and Fredericks are two speed merchants that look like they have a good understanding on the right.

Arnautovic has been foraging on his own up front. He was effective against the poorest opposition (Wycombe/Preston) and was relatively anonymous against Villa, Mainz and Angers.

Central midfield is their key weakness, especially when Wilshere and Noble are two of the three that have started there. They reminded me of the standing statues we had in midfield when Barnes was paired with Redknapp. Declan Rice has anchored the midfield but he can't cover all of it on his own and as a result they have been very susceptible to counter attacks. On Friday they were carved open by Angers (Ligue 1) several times but there wasn't the composure to finish the opportunities.

It's difficult to judge the defenders, they seem comfortable on the ball but didn't face any real opposition that would present a defensive challenge for them. The fullbacks push forward at every opportunity and leave space behind them to exploit. Balbuena is going to be the leader of their defence but there are some communication issues at present. Adrian and Fabianski are both capable keepers and Adrian will probably be first choice initially because he seems to communicate better with Balbuena.

I think Felipe Anderson is going to be their Coutinho, quick feet, sharp passing and set piece delivery. He seems to be a step above the players around him but he won't enjoy the same time and space against Liverpool as he has been allowed in pre-season games. It will be interesting to see him against a real team but he's definitely a Fantasy Football pick for me.

That was really informative, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

if Salah had his last year as this year I reckon this year could have been our year as it stands it's anyone's, unless the Egyptian really is the real deal, in which case....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ne3UWhV.jpg

This man is an absolute hero.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    if Salah had his last year as this year I reckon this year could have been our year as it stands it's anyone's, unless the Egyptian really is the real deal, in which case....

I need another coffee to understand lol

I don't think anyone is judging :)
    However he hasn't faced PL opposition as yet.
    You made a point that he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the PL after he featured in a game against an Italian club.

You can keep your "keep up" & exclamation marks too :)

Chill, I was only joking!!

Is it likely that Alisson won't be given #1 Jersey until karius leaves? If so it must be almost arranged for Karius to be off this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is it likely that Alisson won't be given #1 Jersey until karius leaves? If so it must be almost arranged for Karius to be off this week.

Alisson said he didn't want it as a mark of respect for Karius.

Indeed..... it's likely best for all concerned if karius gets a Lian move this window, I reckon it's possibly advanced arrangement wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Alisson said he didn't want it as a mark of respect for Karius.

So literally dead as well as metaphorically so! :pac:

Shirt numbers must be the most trivial matter in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny seeing Sterling doing to City what he did to us. Refusing to sign a contract, holding club for more money ''or else ! ''
    Glad we're shot of players like him. We have a squad now that wants to play for Liverpool, and I have no doubt every last player has no buy out clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ne3UWhV.jpg

This man is an absolute hero.

The password is Karius .

• Advertisement

It's funny seeing Sterling doing to City what he did to us. Refusing to sign a contract, holding club for more money ''or else ! ''
    Glad we're shot of players like him. We have a squad now that wants to play for Liverpool, and I have no doubt every last player has no buy out clause.

I don't know much about Sterling but saw a story about him helping his mother out with her cleaning job before going to school, kid was dirt poor. Probably has a different view of money than most, hope he sticks it to whomever.
    We won't be in for him though because he's not good enough for us anymore.

I don't know much about Sterling but saw a story about him helping his mother out with her cleaning job before going to school, kid was dirt poor. Probably has a different view of money than most, hope he sticks it to whomever.
    We won't be in for him though because he's not good enough for us anymore.

23 goals and 17 assists for City last season. I think he'd be good enough.

Anyway, happy with what we've got, and the team spirit Klopp has built. Couldn't be listening to Sterlings agent again stirring up ****. Can't imagine Klopp would either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Scots are really taking to Flannagan. "He beats his wife" and "You should be in jail" both getting sung every time he's on the ball.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The Scots are really taking to Flannagan. "He beats his wife" and "You should be in jail" both getting sung every time he's on the ball.

Probably by lads who beat their wives..

I like Sterling I just don't see who he replaces. He'd be up against Sane, who I think is an absolute beast and the other fellah

I like Sterling I just don't see who he replaces. He'd be up against Sane, who I think is an absolute beast and the other fellah

Sane with a M!

• Advertisement

Send them up to Rangers, they'll get first team football.

Might be down to Rangers being down to 10 men but still no sign of Kent or Ejaria.

Championship probably a better option than the jokeshop spl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Championship probably a better option than the jokeshop spl.

Plenty have developed in the SPL over recent years. Half of the Liverpool back four for example

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Plenty have developed in the SPL over recent years. Half of the Liverpool back four for example

Imo,the championship, which is a more competitive league is better for a young player to learn his trade. Bar european games, which are limited to mainly celtic.

Kent coming on for the remaining 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I must admit i am very excited but also nervous for the start of the coming season.

Really need a positive start i feel if we are to challenge. We are looking very fit and sharp so hopefully we will be right at it from the start and also catch a few teams cold.

I don't see what's funny at all. Why should Sterling or any player settle for less than they think their current or any alternative employer will pay them?

Do you think any of the Liverpool squad are accepting £10,000 or £20,000 a week less than they could get elsewhere just to play for Liverpool?

Footballers play for money, they are rarely "fans" of the club they end up playing for.

Also, clubs are just as financially ruthless with players and rightfully so.

I agree that we now seem to have a squad who really do want to play for the club but the reality is a lot of them want to play in the exciting team Klopp is building and would be just as happy to play for Arsenal or Chelsea of Klopp was managing them.

Not sure the lack of a buyout clause has much bearing on the Sterling situation or will have on any Liverpool player entering the final year of their contracts.

Seen this elsewhere:

Ray Clemence is 70 today. Not a bad rap sheet.

665 games
    323 clean sheets

4 League Titles
    3 European Cups
    2 UEFA Cups
    1 FA Cup
    1 League Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Best keeper in my living memory anyway if Alisson turns out to be half as good it will be money well spent.

Add another FA Cup, UEFA Cup & Charity Shield for Spurs as well

Clemence was great but you have to deal with what's in front of you. I saw Liverpool once. 81.
    Game being played in their half and on the half-way line was Hansen, hands on hips, watching, waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

gimli2112 wrote:
    Clemence was great but you have to deal with what's in front of you. I saw Liverpool once. 81. Game being played in their half and on the half-way line was Hansen, hands on hips, watching, waiting.

With Thompson and Hughes in front of him they were well nigh impregnable. Was it the 1979/80 championship winning campaign where only seventeen goals were conceded? Amazing.

Reading in the Echo we can get one more player in the 25 man squad that is not HG or Under 21.

17 none HG players are allowed in the Premier League 25 man squad and we have 16 so a spot there for Fekir or A another before the window closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I doubt Klopp will fill the quota for the sake of it.

Dembele it is then! :p

Newcastle want Ings on loan for the season and then a chance to buy him for £15m next summer if they end up wanting him lol

I guess they are out of the running to sign him in the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ashley must be part Italian.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement