Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That's a worry paying that money we did

Hey, don't be 'wrighting' the guy off already from a couple of preseason matches!:D

Worst fans ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

For me, the worry is looking at the Sané goal against City, neither VVD or Fabinho are very quick over 30 yards, so if you leave room, pace will hurt you.

But on the ball, he will get it and distribute. Once the team get better adapted, he can trot forward and Keita will drop back...

Klopp's pre seasons are notoriosly hard too.

Henderson and Milner are there anyway so not overly concerned if it takes him a little while to ease in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not really. If in 6 months time he hasn't adapted to how we play it'll be a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So then Silent Stan moves to take over Arsenal and values the club at 1.8 billion. FSG must be very happy with that!

What did FSG pay for LFC (debts and all) back in the day?

5starpool wrote: »
    Not really. If in 6 months time he hasn't adapted to how we play it'll be a worry.

Then we convert him to a CB. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

First time posting here. I think we are looking pretty good for the season ahead. My one main worry is that even though he had a good second half to last season and a decent world cup, I'm still not overly comfortable with Lovren in our first choice centre back pairing. That said he did improve when Van Dijk came into the team so hopefully having Allison behind him will settle him down even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I am guessing you did not read all of it. They do go on to explain how they worked out whether penalties would have been converted as well. And they only counted up for wrongly disallowed offside goals, not offsides that were given that would result in a chance to get a goal.

Apologies, I didn't realise we needed to click the link within the link! :)

Pa8301 wrote: »
    First time posting here. I think we are looking pretty good for the season ahead. My one main worry is that even though he had a good second half to last season and a decent world cup, I'm still not overly comfortable with Lovren in our first choice centre back pairing. That said he did improve when Van Dijk came into the team so hopefully having Allison behind him will settle him down even more.

Everyone worries about Lovren, but he compares well to 90% or CBs out there. VVD is exceptional, so playing beside him make anyone look average! But also takes pressure off them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Muahahaha wrote: »

300m ,hicks and gillette supposedly lost 150m in their four years owning the club.I am sure ricero will be on saying fsg need to spend 1.5billion on transfers or they are bleeding the club dry.On a serious note they have been great owners,great investment in infrastructure and all round shrewd operation.That valuation is ridiculous though.

Edit i missread the post and thought someone valued liverpool at 1.8billion,the numbers are all crazy anyway

Pa8301 wrote: »

I'm the same. It's not just Lovern. It's the quality of the cover behind him also.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I'm the same. It's not just Lovern. It's the quality of the cover behind him also.

I argued a few weeks ago that our CB options are as good as any in the league. I stand by that. Gomez, Klavan and Matip as 3rd/4th/5th options are very good. It's only really the front 3 that the replacements are poor for - a fit Sturridge and Shaqiri go a long way to helping there, but Ings/Origi/Ojo/Solanke are too big a drop in quality...

Dickerty wrote: »
    I argued a few weeks ago that our CB options are as good as any in the league. I stand by that. Gomez, Klavan and Matip as 3rd/4th/5th options are very good. It's only really the front 3 that the replacements are poor for - a fit Sturridge and Shaqiri go a long way to helping there, but Ings/Origi/Ojo/Solanke are too big a drop in quality...

I like Matip but he's injured quite a lot. Klavan is ok for backup.

I like Gomez. How many competitive games has he played at CB for us?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I like Matip but he's injured quite a lot. Klavan is ok for backup.

I like Gomez. How many competitive games has he played at CB for us?

Not a lot, but mainly cause start of last season, we had a bigger gap at RB than at CB. But he's no full back, maybe good as right of a back 3 at most.

Not a lot, but mainly cause start of last season, we had a bigger gap at RB than at CB. But he's no full back, maybe good as right of a back 3 at most.

That's be my only concern witth him. Not enough top flight experience at CB. Would love to see him take his chance.

• Advertisement

If we can reduce the calamitous displays where we concede 3+ goals then we won't be talked about as being defensively bad. We'll have bad days at the back of course, but a couple a season are probably in the 'stuff happens' category. 5+ of those is a different category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Squad number changes expected for a few players.

Alisson 1.

Karius 21.

Lovren 3.

Fabinho 6.

Ox 19.

If we can reduce the calamitous displays where we concede 3+ goals then we won't be talked about as being defensively bad. We'll have bad days at the back of course, but a couple a season are probably in the 'stuff happens' category. 5+ of those is a different category.

It happens to everyone. We need to get stingy. Win a few 1-0. Get used to racking up clean sheets like Pepe did - he had 50 clean sheets in his first 92 games!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Our resident ITK said Karius was 99? what a waste of Ice cream jokes that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Four of Liverpool's Premier League fixtures in October and November have today been rescheduled.

The Anfield clash with Manchester City will now kick off at 4.30pm on Sunday October 7, with Sky Sports set to televise the game.

The Reds’ trip to Huddersfield Town is set for a 5.30pm start on Saturday October 20, the away fixture at Arsenal will begin at the same time on Saturday November 3, and the home game against Fulham will kick off at 12pm on Sunday November 11.

BT Sport will broadcast those three matches.

• Advertisement

Squad number changes expected for a few players.

Alisson 1.

Karius 21.

Lovren 3.

Fabinho 6.

Ox 19.

I truly LOVE the idea that we would have most of 1 to 11 on the pitch to start.
    IN a few weeks, could be -

1 - Alisson
    2 - Clyne
    3 - Lovren
    4 - VVD
    6 - Fabinho
    7 - Milner
    8 - Keita
    9 - Firmino
    10 - Mané
    11 - Salah
    26 - Robertson

5 - Wijnaldum in for Fabinho perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

________Allison____

Fabinho_Van_Lovern_Robertson

________Henderson____________

____Shaq_______Keita _________

__Salah___Firmino___Mane______

Kill em that way

________Allison____

Kill em that way

Like it!

Is Lovern a new signing? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

________Allison____

Kill em that way

That's actually sensible for you Toby.

I'd guess Clyne will start and Henderson and Lovren will be on the bench seeing as they only returned this week.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's actually sensible for you Toby.

I'd guess Clyne will start and Henderson and Lovren will be on the bench seeing as they only returned this week.

No chance Fabinho starts at RB! Think Shaq may be off the bench...

To Start against West Ham.

Alisson

Clyne
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Milner
    Gini
    Keita

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

Alisson

Clyne
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Milner
    Gini
    Keita

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

Likely to be the first XI next Sunday alright, barring injuries. I reckon once everyone is fully fit and up to speed, then Henderson and Fabinho will replace Milner and Wijnaldum, with Lovren ahead of Gomez. Right back still a toss up. Good to have proper rotation options in most places though, although rotation/cover for Firmino is still lacking. Klopp playing Shaqiri there in pre season a bit was interesting.

Should not be afraid to use Fabinho at RB, he made his name there and is versatile. With Trent still open to silly errors and Clyne out for so long it would be good to see Fabinho at RB just to how he does.
    Will be a bit scary if Fabinho starts against West Ham in that holding role, it's such an important role and he could be exploited through lack of Premiership experience . I think Henderson will play it against West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

300m ,hicks and gillette supposedly lost 150m in their four years owning the club.I am sure ricero will be on saying fsg need to spend 1.5billion on transfers or they are bleeding the club dry.On a serious note they have been great owners,great investment in infrastructure and all round shrewd operation.That valuation is ridiculous though.

Edit i missread the post and thought someone valued liverpool at 1.8billion,the numbers are all crazy anyway

The Arsenal 1.8bn valuation sounds mad alright. But also it is an attempt by the majority shareholder to buy out the minority one so he is not going to pay over the odds or lowball those he wants to sell. Seems he feels its worth 1.8bn and hes prepared to buy the remaining shares out using that valuation.

Anyway 300m for LFC seems like a snip these days, FSG have invested wisely as well as spent on the new stand and now a £50m training centre in Kirkby. Really couldnt fault them as owners.

Likely to be the first XI next Sunday alright, barring injuries. I reckon once everyone is fully fit and up to speed, then Henderson and Fabinho will replace Milner and Wijnaldum, with Lovren ahead of Gomez. Right back still a toss up. Good to have proper rotation options in most places though, although rotation/cover for Firmino is still lacking. Klopp playing Shaqiri there in pre season a bit was interesting.

Sturridge, Solanke, Lallana and Shaq are our back-ups for the front 3, assuming Ings and Origi go. Good enough if they stay fit, 4 different sort of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Alisson

Clyne
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Milner
    Gini
    Keita

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

I think you're right. If we have a healthy lead I can see Shaqiri coming on for Salah, Sturridge on for Fun Bobby and Lallana on for one of the midfield.

Henderson and TAA to be rested if not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think we'll see many games with Shaqiri starting in an 8/10 position but he might come on for a midfielder if we're chasing a game.

Shaq is looking like he could be filling Lallana's boots rather than Salah's . Would be good to see Shaq in an attacking midfield role, Lallana looks crocked .

Klopp really likes Lallana I don’t see him dropping him for Shaqiri.

Klopp really likes Lallana I don’t see him dropping him for Shaqiri.

I dunno - he's showing more ruthlessness than he used to, dropping Milner for a long spell, likewise bringing Karius in for Migs. If Shaq changes a game more that Lallana, he'll play more.

Sturridge, Solanke, Lallana and Shaq are our back-ups for the front 3, assuming Ings and Origi go. Good enough if they stay fit, 4 different sort of players.

If Sturridge can show the drive and attitude of pre-season, while staying mostly fit, he could be a valuable player for us this season. It's all a big if though. Solanke is a trier, but not enough of a threat, yet at least. I suspect that for the 9 position, if Firmino is out it will be one of Shaqiri or Salah in to play in that slot.

Lallana is down though, he's injured always. Shaq could be Fekir, the guy that was suppose to replace Lallana .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Will be a bit scary if Fabinho starts against West Ham in that holding role, it's such an important role and he could be exploited through lack of Premiership experience
    Have you looked at the West Ham midfield players? Noble, Wilshere, Rice, Obiang and Fernandes. There isn't a creative genius amongst them and they don't drive forward and put pressure on the opposition's defence. Instead they stand around and watch or pass the ball sideways when in possession.

Liverpool at Anfield will be a daunting first taste of the Premier League for West Ham's new signings. Tonights game will at least give our new players a feel for the stadium and the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Talisman wrote: »
    Will be a bit scary if Fabinho starts against West Ham in that holding role, it's such an important role and he could be exploited through lack of Premiership experience
    Have you looked at the West Ham midfield players? Noble, Wilshere, Rice, Obiang and Fernandes. There isn't a creative genius amongst them and they don't drive forward and put pressure on the opposition's defence. Instead they stand around and watch or pass the ball sideways when in possession.

Liverpool at Anfield will be a daunting first taste of the Premier League for West Ham's new signings. Tonights game will at least give our new players a feel for the stadium and the atmosphere.
    Your forgot the one that does and there most expensive signing Felipe Anderson ,He is a really really good player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Should not be afraid to use Fabinho at RB, he made his name there and is versatile. With Trent still open to silly errors and Clyne out for so long it would be good to see Fabinho at RB just to how he does.
    Will be a bit scary if Fabinho starts against West Ham in that holding role, it's such an important role and he could be exploited through lack of Premiership experience . I think Henderson will play it against West Ham

Seeing Fabinho on Saturday, he looked either leggy or slow. I wouldn't be starting him anytime soon, but would be getting him minutes when we can.

Your forgot the one that does and there most expensive signing Felipe Anderson ,He is a really really good player

And hasn't played a minute of Premiership football. He'll be going backwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Alisson

Clyne
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Milner
    Gini
    Keita

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

Milner could miss out with 15 stitches + bruising on his noggin. Could be:

Alisson

Clyne
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robertson

Gini
    Keita

Shaqira

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane

With Shaq floating in Coutinho type role and Keita/Gini providing the base for everyone else to party like its 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And hasn't played a minute of Premiership football. He'll be going backwards...

In fairness though, it's not like he's coming from some backwater league, he's spent the last 5 years at Lazio...

Definitely something to be wary of, with him likely being watched by a just-returned Hendo, or a new-to-the-league Fabinho.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In fairness though, it's not like he's coming from some backwater league, he's spent the last 5 years at Lazio...

Definitely something to be wary of, with him likely being watched by a just-returned Hendo, or a new-to-the-league Fabinho.

More likely Wijnaldum, he's been given a man-marking job before, and you don't want to limit Keita in the same way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Date Team TV
    12th Aug West Ham Sky Sports
    20th Aug Palace (a) Sky Sports
    25th Aug Brighton BT Sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Gotta have Shaqiri in the first 11, he's a dynamo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Arsenal 1.8bn valuation sounds mad alright. But also it is an attempt by the majority shareholder to buy out the minority one so he is not going to pay over the odds or lowball those he wants to sell. Seems he feels its worth 1.8bn and hes prepared to buy the remaining shares out using that valuation.

Anyway 300m for LFC seems like a snip these days, FSG have invested wisely as well as spent on the new stand and now a £50m training centre in Kirkby. Really couldnt fault them as owners.

Arsenal generated £427m in season 2016/17 and had profits of £45m so a £1.8 billion valuation isn't that mad really when you consider UFC sold for $4.4 billion and they were bringing in about $650m annually when sold.

Tv money and sponsorship deals are only going to increase for the foreseeable future making the bigger PL clubs even more valuable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Shaqiri could get plenty of games . Been very sharp in pre season.

Wouldn't surprise me if Firmino was rested/out that Salah would go to #9 & Shaqiri in on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Prices are crazy but right now Liverpool are in the CL and Arsenal are not, that 200m cash pile they were sat on must have been depleted by the lack of top table euro football for two seasons minimum and they've spent quite a bit of money on transfers and the change of management. The Emirates is as big as it can be as far as I know, Anfield still has room for growth. If FSG were thinking of selling 100% they'd surely be looking for the clubs Enterprise Value which is about 1.6 billion.
    Gotta have Shaqiri in the first 11, he's a dynamo.

I'd not be shocked if he had the starting berth as the AM/No 10, he certainly looks more dynamic than Lallana currently does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

where is Gomez.

Don't tell me we are down to one fit CB already just before the season starts.

Matip, Klavan both injured. Lovren not fit enough yet, Gomez omitted from the squad tonight

Nat Philips to start on Sunday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement