Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dickerty wrote:
    If Benfica go out in this last qualifier, we move up to the 2nd Pot in the CL Group Stages.

Or we can hope to draw the likes of them in the group stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I can't wait until we are 3 games in, then there International Break kicks in, and 6 players come back injured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lmao at Henderson Giving the ball back to Jones last night about a hundred times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ballyargus wrote: »
    He's off to Napoli

And worse...he’s Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think we can reach 85 points this year.

Whatever City achieve, they achieve, but if Liverpool manage 85 in the league then that is great progress.

I think we can, and should, win a trophy this year. But considering where we've come from, I'd be quite happy with the following:

League - 85 points (this would probably lead us to 2nd, behind City)
    FA Cup Semi Final
    League Cup Semi Final
    CL Quarter Final

I can't remember the last time I went into a season with my base expectations so high. It's all a bit mad at the moment, tbh.

ballyargus wrote: »
    He's off to Napoli

That story hasn't gone anywhere since it broke last week, but they have a few more weeks in their window.

Yeh he's Italian, but more northern - his hometown is closer to Munich than Rome! So he's almost German...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    For context, it people don't want to read back 6 pages - if Benfica go out in this last qualifier, we move up to the 2nd Pot in the CL Group Stages.

They have another tie to negotiate before the groups too if they get through this one, against either PAOK or Spartak Moscow.

Knex. wrote: »
    I think we can reach 85 points this year.

Whatever City achieve, they achieve, but if Liverpool manage 85 in the league then that is great progress.

I think we can, and should, win a trophy this year. But considering where we've come from, I'd be quite happy with the following:

League - 85 points (this would probably lead us to 2nd, behind City)
    FA Cup Semi Final
    League Cup Semi Final
    CL Quarter Final

I can't remember the last time I went into a season with my base expectations so high. It's all a bit mad at the moment, tbh.

I wouldn't be happy with losing 2 semi finals,intact I'd be well pissed off

shamrock55 wrote: »

How about getting knocked out earlier then?

I think it's a little much to be pissed off if Liverpool don't make a final this year, especially if they do manage another 10% improvement in the league.

I hear that! But I'm prepared for the possibility that we don't get past the CL quarters, can't expect to repeat again, the likes of Bayern, PSG, Juve, City and Barca will go all out to improve on last season...

• Advertisement

2 first hurdle exits in the domestic cups then, keep everyone happy.

I know what you mean though. League cup especially, given the January disruption of the 2 legs.

As I've said before, my minimum expectations is that when looking back on the season I am not disappointed with it. That is hard to quantify exactly what it is at this point, but looking forward to every game is a great starting point, and not nearly dreading them like a lot of times in the few years before Klopp, THAT season excepted largely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Statistically the last few seasons winning the FA Cup means your more likely to get sacked than actually build upon it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lmao at Henderson Giving the ball back to Jones last night about a hundred times

It was a tribute to the Chuckle Brothers
    To me, to you, to me, to you

Fair play to Henderson, he is all heart that man.

If you get to a semi final you can't be happy to lose one never mind two, never mind saying oh let's get knocked out in the earlier RDS then,the op said he'd be happy with 2 semi final loses, i wouldnt we need to win a trophy this season,any fecking trophy at this stage,we've already lost 3 finals under klopp its time we won something now

ERG89 wrote: »
    Statistically the last few seasons winning the FA Cup means your more likely to get sacked than actually build upon it :o

Do you honestly think klopp would get the sack if he wins the fa cup this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For context, it people don't want to read back 6 pages - if Benfica go out in this last qualifier, we move up to the 2nd Pot in the CL Group Stages.

They have 2 qualifiers left this round and the play off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hadn't realised the transfer window shuts at 5 tomorrow, won't have to suffer through the usual sky nonsense. I really need Spurs and Man Utd to get the finger out or else my FF team is going to be top heavy with Leicester and Crystal Palace players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Alisson wont be the most expensive keeper before the end of the window, bit of pressure off there :)

If you get to a semi final you can't be happy to lose one never mind two, never mind saying oh let's get knocked out in the earlier RDS then,the op said he'd be happy with 2 semi final loses, i wouldnt we need to win a trophy this season,any fecking trophy at this stage,we've already lost 3 finals under klopp its time we won something now

You can't say in a black/white fashion that a trophy needs to be won this season. It would be nice, and not winning something won't be acceptable forever, but there are certainly trophyless seasons we could have this year that we are ultimately happy with, and happier than some seasons we could have where we do win something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Gotta say , how positive I am about this season is now making me apprehensive about the season , In some kind of weird battered wife syndrome I am expecting a box in the ear any second now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Gotta say , how positive I am about this season is now making me apprehensive about the season , In some kind of weird battered wife syndrome I am expecting a box in the ear any second now .

Yeah thinking the same. Poor Knex tried to reign in expectations a few posts back and almost got crucified. There's very little margin for error with City around and on paper at least very little between the top 6.
    Difficult not to get caught up in the hype with how we played last year and the additions this year. This could get bloody fast though.

Sturridge won't start, but he's the most inform striker. So basically it tells me he could score 3 a game and never get picked to start.
    Call it 4-3-3 , but we play 2-1-3-1-3 on pitch, that is how we play. It's only when we don't have it that we revert to our shape of 4-3-3

We could play this against West Ham

_________Ally________

____VVD________Lovren_

_______Henderson______

Trent____Keita_____Roberston

________Sturridge___________

Salah___Firmno_____Mane_____

_

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sturridge won't start, but he's the most inform striker. So basically it tells me he could score 3 a game and never get picked to start.
    Call it 4-3-3 , but we play 2-1-3-1-3 on pitch, that is how we play. It's only when we don't have it that we revert to our shape of 4-3-3

_________Ally________

____VVD________Lovren_

_______Henderson______

_

Only if West Ham don't play with any strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

_________Ally________

____VVD________Lovren_

_______Henderson______

_

Lovren won't start, only back to training on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

_________Ally________

____VVD________Lovren_

_______Henderson______

_

And we’d lose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The only people who will judge our season by the winning of a trophy are opposition fans and the media, as they look to sensationalize things and have something to talk about.

There are so many things outside our control which will contribute to our success this season - quality of the opposition, referees, injuries, fixtures rearranged for tv, fixture backlogs and just plain luck.

This goes for every team.

The main criteria to judge a team, player or manager is are we progressing in the right direction, and the answer at the moment is absolutely yes.
    I remember when Evans, Houllier and Rafa were all coming to the end of their time at Liverpool, the consensus was that they brought us as far as they could and things were going a bit stale.
    There is simply no way I can see anything happening in the next 12 months that would see Klopps position being at risk. Even if we had the season from hell, what he has done in the last couple of years and the caliber of players he has brought to the club, he deserves at least another season.

And anyone who dare suggests his position is at risk after a couple of bad results...

And we’d lose.

_________Ally________

Trent__VVD_?????_Robertson
    ___Henderson____Keita_________
    Salah___Sturridge___Mane______
    _______Firmino______________

Suddenly we look defensive. It's all about perspective, same players just put down on paper differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

_________Ally________

____VVD________Lovren_

_______Henderson______

_

Aren’t you forgetting something there?

2fhw27.jpg

City play with two out and out attacking creative midfielders, while we go with Milner and Henderson. The have DeBruyne and Silva.
    I would love to see up sign a no9 and have Firmino and Keita in midfield, or to use what we have play Shaq or Sturridge just off front 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I won't be happy unless we win every game we play in, concede no goals, have a top scorer in each competition, have the least amount of goals conceded, win the fair play trophy and both the young player/player of the year awards.
    Oh and I forgot the writers association player award and the ballon thingy too.
    Even winning all that, I'm still set to be disappointed because we can't play in the super cup and community shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

The team that started against Napoli on Saturday should be our starting lineup for this weekend. Its by far the most balanced lineup we have, and we have plenty of fire power off the bench if it isn't working.

The team that started against Napoli on Saturday should be our starting lineup for this weekend. Its by far the most balanced lineup we have, and we have plenty of fire power off the bench if it isn't working.

I think it will except Trent will start. He doesn't look off the pace at all, almost scored yesterday, and will have fresher legs having not being doing double sessions for 4 weeks like Clyne...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Looks like Alisson wont be the most expensive keeper before the end of the window, bit of pressure off there :)

Now he has an obvious direct comparison for the papers to trawl over.

Like when Chelsea got Duff and we got Kewell.

Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really looks like Edwards has overplayed his hand with regard out outgoings, putting out that puff piece about how 70m (?) could raised with Origi, Ings, Mig and a couple of others leaving seems to have had the effect of prompting clubs to consider that they might get better value elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I won't be happy unless we win every game we play in, concede no goals, have a top scorer in each competition, have the least amount of goals conceded, win the fair play trophy and both the young player/player of the year awards.
    Oh and I forgot the writers association player award and the ballon thingy too.
    Even winning all that, I'm still set to be disappointed because we can't play in the super cup and community shield.

You're in luck buddy cos this is our year!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Really looks like Edwards has overplayed his hand with regard out outgoings, putting out that puff piece about how 70m (?) could raised

Did he or anyone at the club actually put out a press release stating that or was he quoted by a credible journalist with saying that or similar? I saw the speculation along those lines but didn't see any quotes.
    with Origi, Ings, Mig and a couple of others leaving seems to have had the effect of prompting clubs to consider that they might get better value elsewhere.

The PL window closing won't necessarily have a negative effect on the sale of Origi or Mig who are most likely to move abroad and therefore have until the end of the month (or later in some leagues?) to secure moves.

Ings will likely move within the PL but I can't see anyone paying a significant fee upfront for him given the injury record etc. A loan with an option to buy or a low upfront fee with lot's of performance based add on's will IMHO be the sort of deal that is secured for Ings and rightly so. Newcastle would be a good fit for him. Himeself and Rondon would work well together.

Really looks like Edwards has overplayed his hand with regard out outgoings, putting out that puff piece about how 70m (?) could raised with Origi, Ings, Mig and a couple of others leaving seems to have had the effect of prompting clubs to consider that they might get better value elsewhere.

Might be stuck with most of them the ways things are going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe we don't get the price for the players now and they stay till January when we might more for the likes of Ings from teams in the relegation fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did he or anyone at the club actually put out a press release stating that or was he quoted by a credible journalist with saying that or similar? I saw the speculation along those lines but didn't see any quotes.

Well it was defo a press briefing as you can see here - July 23rd 10.30 pm embargo stuff. 100m being the notional target!

https://www.google.ie/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1CHMB_enIE304&ei=Uu9qW_HXOoesgQb5yg4&q=edwards+liverpool+Ings+origi+mignolet&oq=edwards+liverpool+Ings+origi+mignolet&gs_l=psy-ab.3...16717.19285.0.19669.6.6.0.0.0.0.122.533.4j2.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.5m1O1G7qYgs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Yeah, but to be fair, if Harry Maguire is supposedly worth £75m, Edwards isn't exactly deluding himself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

MaceFace wrote: »
    The only people who will judge our season by the winning of a trophy are opposition fans and the media, as they look to sensationalize things and have something to talk about.

There are so many things outside our control which will contribute to our success this season - quality of the opposition, referees, injuries, fixtures rearranged for tv, fixture backlogs and just plain luck.

This goes for every team.

The main criteria to judge a team, player or manager is are we progressing in the right direction, and the answer at the moment is absolutely yes.
    I remember when Evans, Houllier and Rafa were all coming to the end of their time at Liverpool, the consensus was that they brought us as far as they could and things were going a bit stale.
    There is simply no way I can see anything happening in the next 12 months that would see Klopps position being at risk. Even if we had the season from hell, what he has done in the last couple of years and the caliber of players he has brought to the club, he deserves at least another season.

And anyone who dare suggests his position is at risk after a couple of bad results...

Very much agree. One way I will judge this season by is something that I see some of our rivals don't seem to value: are we entertained.

And it's not just about scoring loads of great goals or 4-3 injury time winners - entertainment often comes down to how invested or connected you feel to the club.

As fans we will be very passionate this year because we are bought into the team, the players, the manager and the direction we are going..it feels like we are all on the same page and right behind the club. Yes, we always are but it feels special of late.

Really excited. Trophies would be wonderful of course. But a great time for Liverpool supporters regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be honest id start sturridge the weekend. He is a confidence player and is in form right now. Give him a chance and show him his effort can pay off. Bobby can be on the bench if needed and could do with the extra rest. I hope the likes of ings sturridge and origi can prove they can get back into contention. Last season we struggled up front for cover. It would be nice to have a goal threat as back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wonder if Belotti would fancy a move? Looked a handful last night, good return in a mid-table team, goal every 2.5 games roughly. Powerful, hard working, just our type...
    We were strongly linked with him back in 2016 around the time we signed Mane. Last summer Torino quoted a fee of €100M to Chelsea and Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be honest id start sturridge the weekend. He is a confidence player and is in form right now. Give him a chance and show him his effort can pay off. Bobby can be on the bench if needed and could do with the extra rest. I hope the likes of ings sturridge and origi can prove they can get back into contention. Last season we struggled up front for cover. It would be nice to have a goal threat as back up.
    Don't say that - he's the captain of my Fantasy Football team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ll judge Liverpool this year , and be happy with, competing for the league and champions league.
    I mean near the end of those we have a real chance of winning them .
    I have no doubt we’ll be entertained this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Solanke had a great pre season last year & scored one goal all season.

Great to see Sturridge looking sharp in pre season but I would not be starting him straight away on the basis of that.

God option off the bench & less chance of getting injured straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MD1990 wrote: »

Great to see Sturridge looking sharp in pre season but I would not be starting him straight away on the basis of that.

As much as a crock Studge is comparing his ability to Solanke is laughable,
    Every one and there dog knows Studge is a world class footballer in a body made of ginger bread, Solanke on other hand is a young kid who will probably never make the grade as a prem footballer  .

I hate this attitude of "everything but a win is a failure".

Perspective is always needed. Last year we won nothing. Was it a failure? We got to the champions league final, unearthed a balon d'or contender, knocked the so called best team in Europe right now (man city) out of europe and beat them three of the four times we played them. We lost our "best player" and it only made us better. But we won nothing so it must have been a failure of a season and a horrible season yes? Delusion is a two way street.

This season is full of hope. we held onto our front three, which is probably the best front three in europe (at least in our own kop tinted glasses). We bought a top class goalkeeper. We have atop class defender from the start of the season. Our left back issues are a thing of the past. We have a defensive midfielder ffs! We even have a decent ball playing box to box player in Keita. For once we are going into a season thinking we can actually challenge. I cant remember the last time that happened. There are always seasons with a bit of hope but this year feels different. It Actually feels like it would be easy to get carried away.

But we need to remember how long its been since we won anything. We have no right to expect trophies. Where is this demand coming from? Spending money? We only reinvested what we made from player sales. We reinvested properly for once but its not like we invested 300 million withlut return. I know its the dreaded net spend argument. But lets say we didnt sell Coutinho last season or Suarez a couple of years ago, do you really think we could have or would have spent the same amounts? Not a chance. The club is self sufficient and we can only spend what we make. United can spend all around but they make that money off field (a lot more than we do). We cant afford to spend 200 million and not sell anyone. The next time we spend like this will be after we sell one of our big stars. Its sad but its a fact. Unless of course we win some big competitions and make some extra pocket money.

We are confident going into this season but so are others.........

Man City are still the same side that broke records last season. they can stay consistent and that means we either need to win 34+ games or we dont have a chance.

United have strengthened. Slightly but they are still stronger. They now have a Pogba that has won the world cup. he will be full of confidence and I think he will have a big year. Their biggest worry is they have a manager that self destructs when he doesnt get his way. If he keeps his head they have a big chance this year. They would have won it last season if City where not just unbelievable.

Spurs have stayed together and could still bring in Martial. They have a really good side and will fancy their chances by having a consistent group.

Arsenal have a brilliant attack and now a really good experienced defence. I cant see how anyone with any knowledge would rule them out of a comfortable top 4 spot.

Chelsea are still the side who won the league!! They are changing keepers but they have a brilliant side.

The fact is we are a really strong side who are competing with 5 other really strong sides for a top 4 spot. Let alone the title fight! Any of those teams could win the league.

So saying that we have to win or its a failure is just immature and shows a lack of noticing other teams and factors. If we finished 2nd, got to 1 final and 2 semi finals some would think that is a bad season. But those childish unrealistic expectations are not helpful. I hope we win everything but I would be happy just to have something to play for in the last few weeks. I dont mind being the bridesmaid as long as we are not just the guests at the wedding. I want to be at least involved.

As for Klopp needing a trophy or he is in trouble!!! If anyone actually things that their opinion is already tainted by not having a clue at what they are talking about. We could finish outside the top 4 this year and he would lead us into the following season. that is how untouchable he is right now. The owners love him and not in a "he is doing a good job for now" type way. The owners are hard for him............;)

MD1990 wrote: »

Sturridge has proven himself unlike Solanke. I would prefer Danny to be in our first team than Dom. Obviously Firmino is all of our first choice but wouldnt it be nice to have alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

As much as a crock Studge is comparing his ability to Solanke is laughable,
    Every one and there dog knows Studge is a world class footballer in a body made of ginger bread, Solanke on other hand is a young kid who will probably never make the grade as a prem footballer  .

I didn't compare their ability.

My point is that pre season form means very little.

All about fitness.

Sturridge is far superior but he has never been world class. That term is thrown around far too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement