Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

MD1990 wrote: »
    God option off the bench & less chance of getting injured straight away.

Fowlers back???? Just when I thought this pre season couldn't get much better :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

MD1990 wrote: »
    I didn't compare their ability.

My point is that pre season form means very little.

All about fitness.

Sturridge is far superior but he has never been world class. That term is thrown around far too much.

He may not have been "world class" (subjective opinion) but he certaily has been "world class" for us. What was his goal return? Hardly comparable to Solanke? Surely that means if there is a glimmer we can get a natural goal scoring machine back into form, then we should try to encourage that to happen?

Of course he could get injured any second. Probably while I am typing this sentence in fact. But why not get use out of him while we can? Its not like we have better options. He is our best alternative striker to Bobby by levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge World Class that's like saying Sturridge isn't injury prone.

Sturridge was never world class not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I vehemently disagree! From when he arrived until the end of the 13/14 season, that 18 months, he was incredible. 35 goals in 49 games. People disregard that because Suarez was superhuman in the same period. But that fit Sturridge was definitely World Class.

His first half season here he scored 10 in 14 starts. His second season he scored 21 in 29 starts................ Even with his horrible injury record he has managed to keep his goal scoring to a respectful 48 in 67 starts.

What exactly is your definition of world class?????

Apart from Salah who is just a different standard to most, Dannys goal scoring record cant be described as anything less than world class for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

The bar for World Class isn't very high if you can be world class for half a season.

Vardy's stats the season he won the title means he is world class then. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Meh, it's a deeply subjective term. For some, it means in the top 4 or 5 in that position in the world. For others, the top 20 or 30.

For one season, Sturridge performed to a very high level, and one which - if he were ever to recreate it - would see him starting week in week out. The drop off in pace means I don't think that's possible, even if he stayed fit. He looks quicker than he did over the past few years, but still a good way off the lightning pace he used to have.

But a fit Sturridge with the level of mobility he has right now is a valuable asset, and certainly would be excellent backup at centre forward. Obviously the question remains as to if he can stay fit. We'll see.

The bar for World Class isn't very high if you can be world class for half a season.

Again, such a subjective term. Myself, i'd mean it to equate to 'very very very good', so in the same way that one player can have a 'very very very good' career, another can have a 'very very very good' season, 'very very very good' game, or even just a 'very very very good' goal. It's a descriptor of a level of quality for whatever specified time frame you fancy.

World class is a term thrown around a school yard when they are taking a break from comparing your dad to superman in a fight.

It is a very subjective term and a pointless one.

But if you where to talk about the term world class then surely Sturridges goal return has been exactly that, world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

So, definitely no more ins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So, definitely no more ins?

No, but you are OUT, Lazar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/24-bbc-sport-pundits-cast-13051180

''All 24 BBC Sport pundits cast their Premier League top four predictions - but only 3 are backing Liverpool to win title''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/24-bbc-sport-pundits-cast-13051180

''All 24 BBC Sport pundits cast their Premier League top four predictions - but only 3 are backing Liverpool to win title''

Pity 2 of the 3 (Keown and Wright) are complete idiots :pac:

World Class is a player who produces over multiple seasons.

Sergio Aguero And Harry Kane are the two world class strikers.

Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy are a level or two below that and there is no shame in that they are still better than 90% of strikers in the English leagues but neither is world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Daniel Sturridge was world class for a time.

I'd still, every day of the week, 100%, have him on the bench ahead of Solanke.

Even if Danny is injured he'd have a better chance of scoring.

Sergio Aguero And Harry Kane are the two world class strikers.

Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy are a level or two below that and there is no shame in that they are still better than 90% of strikers in the English leagues but neither is world class.

But can you not have a "world class record" without being in fact world class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

These arguments are always completely pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mr.H wrote: »

I own Led Zeppelin 2 but I'm not John Bonham, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nice having all this transfer stuff done. Kudos to the club getting it done early even in a world cup year and a much earlier deadline.

rob316 wrote: »
    Nice having all this transfer stuff done. Kudos to the club getting it done early even in a world cup year and a much earlier deadline.

So no Fekir??:eek:

We are doomed

Era, you'd be mad to genuinely tip us as title winners. I wouldn't anyway. If we were to win it, it'll be an upset.

In your opinion. There is no definitive definition for the term, so it's pointless to argue over who is or isn't 'world class' when the people discussing it have completely different definitions for what it is. It's like a bunch of colorblind lads arguing over a painting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I still think we are short a CB and AM .
    Weve replaced Karius with Alisson ,  Phil with Keita , Can with Fab (personally I think he will flop )
    So Shaq is the only one in terms of number's added from last year,

I think we really needed to replace Matip and Lallana (even more so with Ox gone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Era, you'd be mad to genuinely tip us as title winners. I wouldn't anyway. If we were to win it, it'll be an upset.

In your opinion. There is no definitive definition for the term, so it's pointless to argue over who is or isn't 'world class' when the people discussing it have completely different definitions for what it is. It's like a bunch of colorblind lads arguing over a painting.

That's a very black and white way of looking at it.

Yes.

Vardy again is a good example has a world class record for scoring in Consecutive League games is he world class?

No but he a Golden streak in his career while being a top level striker.

So no Fekir??:eek:

We are doomed

We got Shaqiri, think he will be a super signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He may not have been "world class" (subjective opinion) but he certaily has been "world class" for us. What was his goal return? Hardly comparable to Solanke? Surely that means if there is a glimmer we can get a natural goal scoring machine back into form, then we should try to encourage that to happen?

Of course he could get injured any second. Probably while I am typing this sentence in fact. But why not get use out of him while we can? Its not like we have better options. He is our best alternative striker to Bobby by levels.

Am I missing a post where I compared Solanke to Sturridge?

I never compared them.

Yes as I said he is good option off the bench for West Ham.
    He continues his pre season form into the season & it will be like a new signing. Hopefully he does.

Weve replaced Karius with Alisson ,  Phil with Keita , Can with Fab (personally I think he will flop )

I think we really needed to replace Matip and Lallana (even more so with Ox gone)

Think we're alright in CM now... I mean, when we had Phil we were grand for numbers. it was only after he left that we struggled during an injury crisis. But now we've one more than we did for the first half of last season (swapping an injured Ox for an injured Lallana).

Henderson, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Shaqiri. 7 fit players for 3 positions, I think it'll be ok. 8 if we hang onto Grujic, but for his own sake he's better of loaned out again.

Would've really liked one more viable front 3 option (not counting Origi, Solanke or Ings as I reckon they'll be off to loans or sold), but Brewster has likely moved into first team reckoning after his new contract. I've not seen enough of him to know if Brewster is really capable of stepping up to that extent, but it does feel like we're light there alright.

Feel ok about CB.

Fekir and a CB would of been a dream window but its unrealistic to expect all gaps to be sorted in one window and I'm always wary of too many new faces coming into the squad at once.

We are stronger than last season, it's more progress.

The GK issue was addressed emphatically which we all wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I've renewed the fantasy league for this thread again. If you were in before you will be in automatically. Newcomers can join with this code.....

561736-121203

There was over 100 in last time i looked. Fill yer boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Dickerty wrote: »
    I vehemently disagree! From when he arrived until the end of the 13/14 season, that 18 months, he was incredible. 35 goals in 49 games. People disregard that because Suarez was superhuman in the same period. But that fit Sturridge was definitely World Class.

Totally agree as do plenty others seemingly. Majority rules!

Danny deserves some luck this season with regards injuries, I can't see why some people are almost willing him to get an injury so they can say I told you so, it's baffling. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. A fit Sturridge can be a huge asset to the team this season, either from the bench or starting matches to give others a rest, he's a million miles better than Solanke, Ings, Origi etc..

Why wouldn't a fan of the club want the better players to stay fit and contribute to the depth of the squad? I think we've got enough depth so we're not relying on him heavily, more that he's a wildcard and if it works out it could be a huge boost, here's hoping anyway.

Come on Danny, stay injury free and bang them in and do the dance, even if it's your final season at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Fit, I still believe he's the best English striker out there. Harry Kane is brilliant but he doesn't have the dimensions to his game Sturridge has shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We'll always think we're a few players short and I'd agree a CB, AM and another attacker for me but overall and when you look around at what our rivals have done we've shown the most ambition to improve. Buying new players isn't a guarantee but we've shown the ambition.

League - I want an improvement of 8-14 points, which I think is doable. Achieving the higher end will have you in title race/winning it most seasons. We're all hoping City regress and it really is on the other five of the top 6 teams to do it. City took 24 points from the 30 available last year. That's embarrassing from the chasing pack and needs serious improving.

Champions League - Get out of the group and then you take it from there. You can easily get a Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Athletico in the first knockout round and go out without under performing. What I do want to see is us qualifying from the group as quick as possible so the final two games we can rotate and concentrate on the league games either side of them.

FA Cup/League Cup - Would like a nice run in one, preferably the FA Cup as the League Cup's two legged semi final are a pain and make January a busy month straight after the packed Christmas period.

Pumped for the new season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If I had any money saved, i'd lump a good bit on Liverpool for the title this year. Pretty surprised at that article RE: the BBC pundits.

Whether Sturridge was world class or not we can agree that a fit Sturridge is a great option. If fit he will score.

Turn those 12 draws last season into 7/8 wins and 4/5 draws that's an improvement of 14/16 points.

We also need another 10/15 goals from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

A trophy
    A good run in the league
    A good run in the CL

That's the benchmark imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

daithijjj wrote: »
    I've renewed the fantasy league for this thread again. If you were in before you will be in automatically. Newcomers can join with this code.....

561736-121203

There was over 100 in last time i looked. Fill yer boots.

Ah that time of year again when I carefully select a team, score badly in the first week and never log in again. I just do it to see the great team names people come up with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:
    Pity 2 of the 3 (Keown and Wright) are complete idiots

All we needed was Garth Crooks for a full house.

I think City will lose two of first 8. What they did last season won't happen. Arsenal will beat them on opening day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turn those 12 draws last season into 7/8 wins and 4/5 draws that's an improvement of 14/16 points.

We also need another 10/15 goals from somewhere.

Big ask to hit 100 goals but it's certainly possible having scored 84 last term. The key area is the midfield, I'll include Shaqiri as one of them so we should see more.

CL draw will be made soon enough. Last season we played no one of note until the final, our group was crap and the games were walkovers.
    I would like Barcelona in group, we'd win or come second as they'd beat every other team in group.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote:
    Am I missing a post where I compared Solanke to Sturridge?

MD1990 wrote:
    Solanke had a great pre season last year & scored one goal all season.
    MD1990 wrote:
    I never compared them.

Yes. You did.

rob316 wrote:
    We got Shaqiri, think he will be a super signing.

I was being sarcastic. I agree completely.

Big ask to hit 100 goals but it's certainly possible having scored 84 last term. The key area is the midfield, I'll include Shaqiri as one of them so we should see more.

Well the extra 10/15 goals I was thinking need to replace the goals from Mane, Salah & Fun Bobby as I don't think they will score at the same rate again this season.

I would hope Shaqiri & Keita could add those goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

CL draw will be made soon enough. Last season we played no one of note until the final, our group was crap and the games were walkovers.
    I would like Barcelona in group, we'd win or come second as they'd beat every other team in group.

:confused:

We beat Man City, Roma, Porto, Sevilla and then played Real Madrid in the final where we were unlucky with Salah injured in opening minutes and whatever that Karius performance was.

Not bad, nor really a walkover.

I don't get your point RE: Barcelona either. In that hypothetical situation, Barca veating everyone in the group favours only Barca, not us. I'd like Liverpool to be drawn against the bastards though, i'd say we'd stuff them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well the extra 10/15 goals I was thinking need to replace the goals from Mane, Salah & Fun Bobby as I don't think they will score at the same rate again this season.

I would hope Shaqiri & Keita could add those goals.

Firmino scored 15 and Mane 10, I'd be shocked if they don't hit those marks again. Mane really would be worth about 20 goals a season but for his composure.

Firmino scored 15 and Mane 10, I'd be shocked if they don't hit those marks again. Mane really would be worth about 20 goals a season but for his composure.

If Salah hits 30+ league goals this season I would be happily shocked.

I would think 20 to 25 would be the target if he hit 20 that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I agree but I think lots of folk keep forgetting that we only had VVD for half a season, and he had no pre-season with Southampton last summer. I'm looking forward to his first full campaign with LFC after a full pre-season and no WC. In some ways, I consider big Virg to be 'almost' like a new signing.

As well as that I consider Robertson who, although signed last summer, took a while to find his feet and only came into the side a few months in and has also had the summer off. I'm looking forward to seeing him raring to go as well.

Go on get out we got a big enough offer for you.

pTkPIAe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If you wanted to be negative I guess you could say we lost Can and Ox is out for the season, we've signed Keita and Fabinho just to fill those gaps, both could take time to settle, so theoretically we could be weaker in Midfield. Shaqiri is a nice signing for a back up and Hopefully the Alisson signing is a big upgrade in the GK department.

Salah will find it hard to reach the levels and numbers of last year, Firmino had a break out season last year goal wise, let's hope he can do it again.

Not saying that I'm negative about our business or the upcoming season, just that I have some lingering doubts which probably comes natural to Liverpool fans. I don't want to get fully on board the positivity hype train just yet until we see how the season shapes up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Firmino has been brilliant for years. He scored more than usual last season but it wasn't really a "break out". As a unit we played far better and presented him with more opportunity. If that persists then a man of his talents will continue to put them away.

Ox is a big loss. That's the only negative I see going into the season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement