Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ballyargus wrote: »
    Firmino has been brilliant for years. He scored more than usual last season but it wasn't really a "break out". As a unit we played far better and presented him with more opportunity. If that persists then a man of his talents will continue to put them away.

Ox is a big loss. That's the only negative I see going into the season.

I did say 'goal wise' in fairness. Not disputing his all round game was good before that. It's just last season his tally was up there with what you'd expect from your main striker, hopefully it will be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Knex. wrote: »

Great to see Carra back on Sky. Himself and Neville are great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

At least he didn't spit on Coady.

Great to see Carra back on Sky. .....

Indeed, club legend & all round good egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are we back to the Sturridge is better than Kane rubbish? Maybe we can get that swap deal organized.

Also Milner and Robertson need their own buddy flick...

0_JS159386796.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe we can get that swap deal organized.

Yeah, depending how much Spurs would be willing to pay on top!:D

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah, depending how much Spurs would be willing to pay on top!:D

At least you included a smiley :D ....there’s some who’d seriously hold that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great to see Carra back on Sky. Himself and Neville are great to watch.

I find them both so over rated. Great at the hind sight stuff. Both show themselves up as nothing special in the pundit stakes when they are doing co commentary (Just my opinion of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Speak Now wrote: »
    I find them both so over rated. Great at the hind sight stuff. Both show themselves up as nothing special in the pundit stakes when they are doing co commentary (Just my opinion of course).

Co-commentator is a different beast though... you just have to literally keep talking for 90 minutes. No time to stop and think about what you're going to say.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if commentators shut the fuck up for a wee bit and just said things when something was worth saying - but that's the job. They're being paid to keep talking non-stop to keep your average football watcher engaged with something - anything - all the time.

One that always stands out as being more informative is Brian Kerr - and it's telling that he's given more leeway to just provide insight when he spots something. He often stays quiet for stretches, and gets to actually think about what he's watching. Sky (and most networks) don't seem to allow that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I noticed something while watching a Tennis match on TV a while ago. The comentators said very little during the actual play. They might comment on an amazing shot, but in general they stayed out of the way and let the pictures do the talking.

Then I watched a game in the World Cup. The commentators described everything. 'A short pass to John, he passes it back to Mark, he controls it and passes it to John again' etc. And it really struck me, what's the point of that type of commentary? I'm watching the game, I can see who's passing the ball to whom! Commentary should be giving me insight to the players/tactics etc., not just describing what I can see anyhow!

jasonb wrote: »
    I noticed something while watching a Tennis match on TV a while ago. The comentators said very little during the actual play. They might comment on an amazing shot, but in general they stayed out of the way and let the pictures do the talking.

Then I watched a game in the World Cup. The commentators described everything. 'A short pass to John, he passes it back to Mark, he controls it and passes it to John again' etc. And it really struck me, what's the point of that type of commentary? I'm watching the game, I can see who's passing the ball to whom! Commentary should be giving me insight to the players/tactics etc., not just describing what I can see anyhow!

Exactly! Same with snooker. I think maybe those slightly more niche sports (not that tennis is niche - but in comparison to football) have a bit more faith in their viewers. Their viewers are watching because they're actively interested, whereas football has this mass appeal that goes far beyond actually having much interest in the nuance of the sport. How many lads do we all know that haven't a notion what they're talking about, but follow it through the culture of it as much as anything. So the commentary tends to be very hand-holding.

The colour commentator is often just someone personable, or well known, rather than anybody who's hugely insightful.

There's no emphasis in football for them to provide any real tactical insight or analysis on the fly, unlike say in the NFL. Although that does come with the benefit of the stop-start nature of American football.

Still, I do think the tv experience would be enhanced by having more tactical insight during the game.

I would also love for some sort of overhead heatmap, or live tracking of player positions to be introduced as an option. Would give you a far greater sense of what's going on during the game if you had that bird's eye view to reference every now and again.

I do hope that with advances in technology and the game becoming more and more an online commodity, that we'll start to get a lot more features and stats throughout the game by whatever company manage to break away from the traditional sky format first. The money and the technology is all there.

I think because Tennis is played in quick short bursts that there isn’t really time for constant commentary. Snooker is a better comparison...although Denis Taylor drawing a possible shot line on the screen and the player going the opposite direction is probably the equivalent of Carragher’s contribution. Don’t think he’ll last too long tbh, only a matter of time before he reverts to type again and Sky have to cut him loose.

• Advertisement

I see Carra agrees with Neville that we will finish 4th again this season.

No commentary would be great. Just crowd noise. Neville and Carra are head melters as commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I see Carra agrees with Neville that we will finish 4th again this season.

I see you were caught by the sportsjoe.ie clickbait Coulsen, shame on you.

In fact the club legend Carragher tips us as closest challengers to City.

Although personally i have no time for Neville and Carragher as pundits.

Alisson no longer the most expensive keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Weight off his shoulders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

He's signed a7 year contract. Assuming he's on £150,000 a week (how could the world's most valuable keeper not be on a top salary?) that means Chelsea are £100m into this guy in transfer fees and wages plus he has to fill the shoes of one of the top 5 keepers in the world.

No pressure on his young shoulders then??

Just gonna quietly watch this one with interest. 71m on a 23 year reasonably slight keeper will be intriguing to see play out in the prem!

Though in fairness, they've had a great eye for keepers going back a long time. Have been very solid back there for close to 20 years at this stage. From Cudicini, to Cech, to Courtois. Even Ed De Goey was decent quality in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The fact that we are all even talking about Sturridge and mostly in a good way in fairness can only be positive,the lad stays fit and he'll be a massive plus for us this season,he will if fit play quite a bit this season too I think

ricero wrote: »
    I see you were caught by the sportsjoe.ie clickbait Coulsen, shame on you.

In fact the club legend Carragher tips us as closest challengers to City.

Although personally i have no time for Neville and Carragher as pundits.

Someone probably told him Klopp was in the vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The fact that we are all even talking about Sturridge and mostly in a good way in fairness can only be positive,the lad stays fit and he'll be a massive plus for us this season,he will if fit play quite a bit this season too I think

I can't forget the game he had a sore leg and sat down in midfield only for Gerard to berate him to get his ass up. He is likely to do the same again and be on the books for another year. Pity but he cannot be relied upon.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I can't forget the game he had a sore leg and sat down in midfield only for Gerard to berate him to get his ass up. He is likely to do the same again and be on the books for another year. Pity but he cannot be relied upon.

I think everyone knows he can’t be relied upon but a vocal minority are trying to convince everyone that it’s all good and shouting down anyone who doesn’t agree with it. It also seems to be influenced by the narrative coming out of the club that he’s ‘back to his best’ with several mouthpieces running articles with the same buzz words, which I’d guess were intended to generate a bit of interest but dont seem to have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

His attitude seems different this season though,he's playing with a smile and a swagger,the old Daniel if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

His attitude seems different this season though,he's playing with a smile and a swagger,the old Daniel if you like

Season hasn't started yet though. Let's see how he goes before we get ahead of ourselves.
    I doubt Sturridge is getting ahead of himself, he'd get injured if he did.

I'd love to see him back sharp and scoring. He scored some brilliant goals those few years back.
    Great to have as an option if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'd love to see shaq and firmino out wide of studge - or mane and firmino - I think in preseason though studge and shaq have hit it off.

If you play either of those two feeding him he could be sensational and bag 15-20 goals

Not that you would leave out salad mind.

We have great options! Really and truly we have such a creative squad - the midfield 6 and front 4 could literally come up with anything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

ardinn wrote: »
    the midfield 6 and front 4 could literally come up with anything!!

A league title would be nice though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

He's signed a7 year contract. Assuming he's on £150,000 a week (how could the world's most valuable keeper not be on a top salary?) that means Chelsea are £100m into this guy in transfer fees and wages plus he has to fill the shoes of one of the top 5 keepers in the world.

No pressure on his young shoulders then??
    When will he be ready to displace Rob Green the penalty shootout hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Contract is running out,he has to perform if he wants a lucrative deal from liverpool or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Contract is running out,he has to perform if he wants a lucrative deal from liverpool or another.

Would like to think even if all goes well, that only a 1 year extension would be the way to go with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can't believe it's transfer deadline day. Kinda anti climatic

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Vicxas wrote: »

A little, but much preferred to being desperately short in positions and hoping we might sign someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    No commentary would be great. Just crowd noise. Neville and Carra are head melters as commentators.

Especially if we don't have to hear "... And it's LIVE every couple of minutes..."
    It has to be the dumbest catchphrase of all time. Especially given the amount of times Sky show repeats when it clearly isn't live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I do hope that with advances in technology and the game becoming more and more an online commodity, that we'll start to get a lot more features and stats throughout the game by whatever company manage to break away from the traditional sky format first. The money and the technology is all there.

Ah, jumpers for goalposts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

But he's not doing it for the new contract in itself. As he said, the West Brom loan was a wake-up call. He came back and realised how lucky he was. So he's just enjoying it.

For all we know, that enjoyment may help him avoid injuries. If you are playing with fear, you are more likely to come a cropper IMO. He's enjoying it, he's relaxed, he's not being relied upon as a starter, so maybe this is what he needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Vicxas wrote: »

In a way I'm delighted, means a more subdued Jim White which isn't a bad thing.

Downside of TDD being this early, if a non-PL comes in with a big bid next week, some chairmen will accept it knowing the manager can't spend the incoming funds! Great for the balance sheet!

And watch for some bargains in the next two weeks, with no PL teams jacking up the prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Co-commentator is a different beast though... you just have to literally keep talking for 90 minutes. No time to stop and think about what you're going to say.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if commentators shut the fuck up for a wee bit and just said things when something was worth saying - but that's the job. They're being paid to keep talking non-stop to keep your average football watcher engaged with something - anything - all the time.

One that always stands out as being more informative is Brian Kerr - and it's telling that he's given more leeway to just provide insight when he spots something. He often stays quiet for stretches, and gets to actually think about what he's watching. Sky (and most networks) don't seem to allow that.

They've both fallen into the "how can he give that as a penalty" when they're watching replay #6 from an angle that's clearly recorded from behind the goal. Neville in fairness to him though occasionally calls in real time if its a penalty or not.

They both have that tendency to just scream or moan when a good goal goes in, Torres vs Barcelona and Wanyama vs Liverpool being two of the worst I can think of.

Davie Provan and the lads covering the EFL games provide far better colour commentary. Provan often describes whats happening out of shot e.g. strikers jogging about not trying to lose markers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dickerty wrote: »
    Downside of TDD being this early, if a non-PL comes in with a big bid next week, some chairmen will accept it knowing the manager can't spend the incoming funds! Great for the balance sheet!

And watch for some bargains in the next two weeks, with no PL teams jacking up the prices...

Spain etc will still be on the prowl though...……..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Dickerty wrote:
    For all we know, that enjoyment may help him avoid injuries. If you are playing with fear, you are more likely to come a cropper IMO. He's enjoying it, he's relaxed, he's not being relied upon as a starter, so maybe this is what he needed.

Klopp last year or his first season, kinda hinted at the fact sturridge is a bit of a diva (i know, shock horror right). He kinda hinted that every little niggle was perceived as an injury rather than being an actual injury. Just because you have an ache doesnt mean you need a week on the sideline. Maybe it was fear the ache could become a long term injury? But he does need to just get on with it and play through minor twinges. We all have aches and pains and still go to work. Maybe our Danny is just a little precious about it. Would Kenny rush or Robbie play with a bit of pain?

Well thats what i am hoping his so called wake up call is about. Maybe he will actually fight for his career? It would be great to have options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

so what deals do we think will go through today?

Grujic -> Cardiff
    Ings -> someone (Southampton / Newcastle / Palace)
    Mignolet -> Europe so doesn't really apply today
    Origi -> Europe so doesn't really apply today

As for incomings, I think we are 90% done. Maybe an experienced CB to come in for cover á la Klavan?

• Advertisement

The cynic in me thinks: Carra and Neville were new and fresh for a while, so people thought they were great.

Now they're a bit more mainstream, so it's cool to consider them ****. Makes you seem more knowledgeable too.

I'm not really seeing any better analysis than the two of them knocking around, however. Their enthusiasm for the game is still massively evident, too.

The reason they both seem better than most is also down to they are the only ones given a bit of time on the air.

All other channels just have a couple of minutes before during and after games between ad breaks.

Those two get 1 hour on Monday nights to talk about stuff.

If other pundits etc got that length of time to discuss football we would see more impressive ex footballers talking.

Also BT had the best group of guys talking about football (European football show) and dropped them in favour of big name talking heads Gerrard, Lampard & Rio who they then don't give time to.

If other pundits etc got that length of time to discuss football we would see more impressive ex footballers talking.

But BBC employ Shearer, Murphy, Wright, Jenas - none of they are a patch on Carra or Neville for love of the game, analysis or their low-BS style...

Dickerty wrote: »
    But BBC employ Shearer, Murphy, Wright, Jenas - none of they are a patch on Carra or Neville for love of the game, analysis or their low-BS style...

They get to talk for about 40 seconds between games on MoTD let Neville and Carra look good when given 30 seconds to a minute to talk about a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The cynic in me thinks: Carra and Neville were new and fresh for a while, so people thought they were great.

Now they're a bit more mainstream, so it's cool to consider them ****. Makes you seem more knowledgeable too.

I'm not really seeing any better analysis than the two of them knocking around, however. Their enthusiasm for the game is still massively evident, too.

I think it is more to do with Neville's complete embarrasment as a coach & manager. Valencia he was awful & was coach of England when they lost to Iceland.

Neville is a good pundit but his obvious distain for Barcelona's style of football makes it even more strange he took the job in Spanish football.

Before Man City won the league he thought it was impossible to win the PL without having a spine of big powerful players. Bizarre stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement