Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    Very weird deal.

Southampton obviously don't want the Ings deal on their accounts for 2018 for whatever reason.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

A Liverpool fans fantasy football league code 3419497-801302

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm not sure why so many want shot of Origi. We could have used him last season, and with Ings now gone he'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why so many want shot of Origi. We could have used him last season, and with Ings now gone he'll play.

He has completely stagnated since Flores injured him in the derby two and a half years ago unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I see agent Ings has been deployed. Breaks into scouting room to get the files on incoming players. We get them before they join southampton. Cutting out the middleman.

Knex. wrote: »
    He has completely stagnated since Flores injured him in the derby two and a half years ago unfortunately.

Still a better option than Solanke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Ahhh, finally! The nonsense of click-bait season is finally over and now we can fill our heads with dreams of what's to come. Feels like we've had the best pre-season, not just in terms of business done, but the level of preparation and especially in terms of team spirit and cohesion. We kept all our stars (Can was always gonna leave) and the quality of youngsters coming up - Rafa, Jones, Philips in particular - is encouraging. The loan deals look fine and on purely sentimental grounds I really hope it works out for Ings. We have a squad dept now with the new arrivals and a hopefully rejuvenated Sturridge that not only gives us much needed options off the bench but can also facilitate more effective changes in formation if needed, especially against the bus parkers.

It's probably fair to say that the levels of expectation and confidence going into the new season are the highest they've been in decades and so we're all waiting for the fall, but deep down maybe not expecting it to happen as predictably as before. Cannot wait for Sunday and what follows, cannot wait to see how/if/when this team lives up to our heightened expectations. There's so many things to look for and be excited about, from how Big Al fits in to seeing if the front 3 can repeat and build on last year's performance, how the newbies add to the team, how last year's midfield raise their performance to create selection headaches (my tip for this year's sporting cliche), watching TAA grow from talented teenager to a man, along with VVD, Robbo and hopefully consistent Lovren make our defense a tough one to beat and so win back the 14pts we lost last year from winning positions. So much, so much to dream about, so much to look forward to. Can't wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But not as good as Sturridge (if he is fit), Klopp might be thinking in terms of playing Salah as a striker now he has Shaqatak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

FIngers crossed we can stil lget rid of of a few, Lazar, Migs, Origi or Dom,
    It must be horrible to be a player who knows there not part of the manger plans but doesn't get a move away,
    Like Lazar been out unwanted for years but can't get a move anywhere, basically his career is over when his contract runs out, No one wants him because his stock has fallen so much, He should have got out the first second he sensed he was done here,

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

But not as good as Sturridge (if he is fit), Klopp might be thinking in terms of playing Salah as a striker now he has Shaqatak.

Salah/Shaqiri will be used in the Firmino role at some point this season I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

FIngers crossed we can stil lget rid of of a few, Lazar, Migs, Origi or Dom,
    It must be horrible to be a player who knows there not part of the manger plans but doesn't get a move away,
    Like Lazar been out unwanted for years but can't get a move anywhere, basically his career is over when his contract runs out, No one wants him because his stock has fallen so much, He should have got out the first second he sensed he was done here,

I'd say Lazar is the one refusing to move, and could you blame him?

Probably on £40k per week at Liverpool for training 4 or 5 days per week, and getting to hang around with some of the best footballers on the planet.

When his contract expires, he'll sign for a Championship or similar level club in another country, and be very competent at that level. He'll probably earn £10k to £20k per week, and also get a signing on bonus.

Me heart bleeds for the man.

#LivingTheDream

5starpool wrote: »
    Salah/Shaqiri will be used in the Firmino role at some point this season I expect.

Yeah my gut feeling - call it a hunch - is that Sturridge won't stay fit. Shaqiri will deputise for the front three, while Solanke and Origi will offer something slightly different for when we need to change our approach. Personally I'd rather Origi, but even if Jurgen prefers Solanke we still have Woodburn's place in the squad to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I am pretty sure last year Mane and Salah were deployed as strikers at different stages. I'd still stick with Mane / Bobby / Salah as our preferred front 3 , barring injury

I'd say Lazar is the one refusing to move, and could you blame him?

Probably on £40k per week at Liverpool for training 4 or 5 days per week, and getting to hang around with some of the best footballers on the planet.

When his contract expires, he'll sign for a Championship or similar level club in another country, and be very competent at that level. He'll probably earn £10k to £20k per week, and also get a signing on bonus.

Me heart bleeds for the man.

#LivingTheDream

Let's assume that he loves playing football. He can't do that now. It's all foreplay and no final act. I'd say that's pretty frustrating!

Surely last season's Salah is better than a current peak Sturridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Dickerty wrote: »
    Let's assume that he loves playing football. He can't do that now. It's all foreplay and no final act. I'd say that's pretty frustrating!

It's pretty obvious that he likes money over playing football though.

Surely Chiinese clubs would throw decent wages at him :)

Anyone worried Mane won't sign a new deal

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely Chiinese clubs would throw decent wages at him :)
    Chinese clubs only really do that if your a name or an International .

• Advertisement

It's pretty obvious that he likes money over playing football though.

Not sure I see that, he went on loan for all of the last 3 seasons, so he obviously wants to play football. He went to Hull FFS!
    And he'll probably go on loan again to a European team before this month end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I wasnt until you mentioned it. I am sure he will. Guaranteed premier league and champions league winners medal this year, why would he want to move????

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely last season's Salah is better than a current peak Sturridge?

Obviously but we can't assume who'll be fit and where Klopp will deploy players (insomuch as that actually matters under his multi-pronged tactics). I'd not be shocked if Daniel was played as a 10-ish if say Firmino was out. Less running more passing.

Nabby
    Keith
    Shaqiri---Sturridge----Mane
    Salah

No, he'll be renewed. Sure who else would take him? ;) Who is bigger who'd want him?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not for now. Worst case scenario, he has 3 more years left on his deal. Unless he has decided that he wants to leave for whatever reason, then as long as he doesn't strop like Coutinho it won't be a problem. He won't be leaving this summer anyhow, that's for sure.

5starpool wrote: »
    Not for now. Worst case scenario, he has 3 more years left on his deal. Unless he has decided that he wants to leave for whatever reason, then as long as he doesn't strop like Coutinho it won't be a problem. He won't be leaving this summer anyhow, that's for sure.

I don't think he has the profile to attract a Barca or Real, so who would we worry about him with 3 years left? Plus we just gave him the #10, that was a pretext to something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Can somebody explain some things to me.

1) Why would you want to play for Everton.

2) Sammy Lee is a twat. Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dickerty wrote: »
    I don't think he has the profile to attract a Barca or Real, so who would we worry about him with 3 years left? Plus we just gave him the #10, that was a pretext to something...

Bayern need wingers and he's about the best around. Don't think they could afford him though unless he ran down his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Have we only one fit CB for Sunday ??

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Have we only one fit CB for Sunday ??
    Looks that way, No idea who is going to stat beside VVD,
    Maybe one of the young ;lads will get a chance,

I think Sunday is huge we need a win., a good start to the season could see us brimming with confidence a bad start and the another false dawn feeling will hang around the place,

Gomez and Matip are both in training today. One of them will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

ebbsy wrote: »
    Can somebody explain some things to me.

1) Why would you want to play for Everton.

2) Sammy Lee is a twat. Discuss.

I think we are better than this. Everton did well in the transfer window comparatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

elbyrneo wrote: »
    I think we are better than this. Everton did well in the transfer window comparatively speaking.

Yup, i hope they do well this season and take many points from the Top 6, us not included obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sammy Lee is (bad name) because he needs to earn money and took at job at Everton.

Carra spits at a child and is a club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sammy Lee is (bad name) because he needs to earn money and took at job at Everton.

Carra spits at a child and is a club legend.

He spat at a tosser and yes he is a club legend, one puerile act doesn't negate hundreds of committed performances for the club. One daft post about Sturridge doesn't make you a toss-pot so don't apply different standards to ex-players.

garra wrote: »
    He spat at a tosser and yes he is a club legend, one puerile act doesn't negate hundreds of committed performances for the club. One daft post about Sturridge doesn't make you a toss-pot so don't apply different standards to ex-players.

So the couple of hundred club games titles, european cups and everything a club legend won at Liverpool is all forgotten and he is now a (bad name) because he needs to earn a living and works at Everton.

I'll take a club legend working at Everton over a club legend who spits at a child thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

garra wrote: »

You’re just proving his point even more. You say one “puerile act” doesn’t negate years of great service to a club. So why does Sammy get criticised for taking a job with another club (far from “puerile”) to put food on the table for his family yet Carragher is forgiven? I’m not saying you were one of the people criticising Sammy, just pointing out the hypocrisy with some fans and that Agent Coulson makes a very good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

So...new season. Will it be 4 nil up at halftime and praying it's enough? I hope we're not that team anymore.

This is fairly simple, though.

Carra was a key player, and scouser no less, who won the club's first CL in 20 years. He's only recently retired and is somewhat charismatic.

Sammy Lee, albeit also a scouser, is retired so long the half the fans have never seen him play, is far from charismatic, and is overshadowed in the history of Liverpool somewhat by a number of names and massive characters.

He's not Kenny Dalglish, Barnes, Rush, Hansen or Souness. The passing of time will diminish his legacy among the fanbase regardless. Such is life.

I also don't think anybody really gives a **** that Sammy Lee is at Everton.

I also don't think that anybody is saying Carra spitting on somebody is what makes him club legend.

The premise of your argument may get a quick "yeah!" from some people who can appreciate the sentiment, but it's not actually a factual viewpoint.

Carra can be a club legend and also have done something that nobody condones.

So the couple of hundred club games titles, european cups and everything a club legend won at Liverpool is all forgotten and he is now a (bad name) because he needs to earn a living and works at Everton.

I'll take a club legend working at Everton over a club legend who spits at a child thanks.

I know i shouldnt bite, but....

Carra didn't spit at the child. He was getting fed up from the abuse from the father (who let's be fair seemed a right s*umbag)..Carra clearly had a lapse in judgement and spat at the father but unfortunately hit the kid.

This was a barely a blot on a page in a book in a library of Carra's achievements and contributions to LFC.

This is such a bizarre statement to me.

Firstly, who's forgetting about it. Where is the narrative coming from?

Secondly, take where? For your morale mantle piece? What's the competition?

elbyrneo wrote: »
    I know i shouldnt bite, but....

Carra didn't spit at the child. He was getting fed up from the abuse from the father (who let's be fair seemed a right s*umbag)..Carra clearly had a lapse in judgement and spat at the father but unfortunately hit the kid.

This was a barely a blot on a page in a book in a library of Carra's achievements and contributions to LFC.

Ah right so it was ok to spit at a father then as long as he didn't hit the child..

However take a job at Everton and you are a (bad name)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »
    This is fairly simple, though.

Carra was a key player, and scouser no less, who won the club's first CL in 20 years. He's only recently retired and is somewhat charismatic.

Sammy Lee, albeit also a scouser, is retired so long the half the fans have never seen him play, is far from charismatic, and is overshadowed in the history of Liverpool somewhat by a number of names and massive characters.

I also don't think anybody really gives a **** that Sammy Lee is at Everton.

I also don't think that anybody is saying Carra spitting on somebody is what makes him club legend.

The premise of your argument may get a quick "yeah!" from some people who can appreciate the sentiment, but it's not actually a factual viewpoint.

Carra can be a club legend and also have done something that nobody condones.

Some people do though, believe it or not. That’s the crux of the matter being discussed. I remember people from our own superthread caring a little too much about it in fact. I don’t think anyone is implying that Sammy Lee is a club legend (top class servant to the club though IMO), it’s that he’s called names and abused by fans by the same people that won’t say a word against Carragher for doing something much, much worse than taking a well-paid job at a club that isn’t Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Jaysus, a sammy lee v carragher 'debate' right at the start of the football season. great.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Jaysus, a sammy lee v carragher 'debate' right at the start of the football season. great.

Agreed.

So Gomez training/fit? To partner VVD Sunday?

Looking fwd to this eve. Vardy post new contract to score.

Vardy nearly always scores against the so called Big 6, so it'll be a test for Utd.

As for West Ham, they've made so many changes I've no idea how they'll line up.

I will say Jamie Carragher really is a club legend on the pitch no doubt about that an average footballer who played well above his skill set leaving everything on the pitch for the club and himself.

However that doesn't mean he is a nice person and spitting at a child shouldn't be forgotten because he is a club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should be an interesting game tonight. Cuppa tea, some McTities biscuits to nibble on and a Leicester win would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't get a good feeling off Carragher on screen & in the media.

Get a Xenophobic vibe off him & Gary Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If you have an issue with Sammy Lee taking a job at Everton, you are having mental problems and should seek the help of a health professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God i really dont know what to make of us yet.

I mean we've addressed a lot of problems from last season that made us lose games..... but there's still that niggly part of me that goes 'C'mon, this is Liverpool'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Vicxas wrote: »
    God i really dont know what to make of us yet.

I mean we've addressed a lot of problems from last season that made us lose games..... but there's still that niggly part of me that goes 'C'mon, this is Liverpool'

Nah, that's Spurs your thinking of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement