Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember Sammy Lee playing for Liverpool. I wouldn't particularly have considered him a favourite. In fairness to him he only played 30+ games in four different seasons despite being there 10 years. In those 4 seasons Liverpool won 3 league titles, 4 league cups and 2 European Cups.
    The 80s eh? What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

So the couple of hundred club games titles, european cups and everything a club legend won at Liverpool is all forgotten and he is now a (bad name) because he needs to earn a living and works at Everton.

I'll take a club legend working at Everton over a club legend who spits at a child thanks.

Ah so now we get the definition of club legend according to you..

Plenty of club legends have never won anything for their club so you may need to re-think your metrics... not too much though we don't need another "world class" diatribe!

Both Lee and Carragher are LFC legends for their longevity and commitment to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Should be an interesting game tonight. Cuppa tea, some McTities biscuits to nibble on and a Leicester win would be nice.

You getting some choccy digestives or a hooker Toby?

The hating Everton thing seems to be a tad OTT on the internet.

Over on Merseyside as we all know you'd have LFC fans married to Everton fans etc and the kids would often support either or :)

Nothing against them but they haven't been competitive rivals in the PL too often in the last two decades, there's very little to be getting excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm not really sure why someone who's not from Liverpool should really give a ****e about Everton one way or the other.

The rivalry is based on a history that's a distant memory for most, and on a proximity that most on here have no experience of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm not really sure why someone who's not from Liverpool should really give a ****e about Everton one way or the other.

The rivalry is based on a history that's a distant memory for most, and on a proximity that most on here have no experience of.

Bingo. It's a local rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

garra wrote: »
    Ah so now we get the definition of club legend according to you..

Plenty of club legends have never won anything for their club so you may need to re-think your metrics... not too much though we don't need another "world class" diatribe!

Both Lee and Carragher are LFC legends for their longevity and commitment to the club.

My metric is fine one spits at a child and one doesn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have some points I am going to put in a numbered list. Numbering them makes the opinion 27% more powerful.

1. Carragher is a club legend, no doubt about that.
    2. Sammy Lee is entitled to work for who he wants.
    3. Carragher did a disgusting thing when spitting at someone, and deserves criticism for it, and could not have complained if it cost him his public role on TV.
    4. Sammy Lee was a great servant to Liverpool during him playing days, and his time on the coaching staff.
    5. Carragher did not spit at a child. Repeating that he did does not make it true. At best anyone saying he did does not know what the word 'at' means in this context. At worst they are deliberately repeating a lie to suit their point.
    6. Anyone who is saying that they have never done anything, that if filmed and shown to the world, would not be interpreted as disgusting is probably a liar or else in the small minority of people. I include things like using derogatory language about people/ethnic groups in this as well.
    7. The act of repeatedly goading a public figure, while driving with your teenage daughter in the car as well, and filming the person you are goading (while you are in control of a car) is pretty disgusting to me as well. If anyone thinks that this being said absolves Carragher of any blame, then you can do one
    8. I have no idea what Jamie Carragher is like beyond the persona he shares on TV and social media. He could be a horrible person for which spitting is entirely in character, or he could be one of the nicest people around who experienced a bad lapse in judgement due to anger.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Can somebody explain some things to me.

2) Sammy Lee is a twat. Discuss.

Now since you got plenty of poster discussing any chance of your own opinion on why he is a (bad name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5starpool wrote: »
    I have some points I am going to put in a numbered list. Numbering them makes the opinion 27% more powerful.

3. Carragher did a disgusting thing when spitting at someone, and deserves criticism for it, and could not have complained if it cost him his public role on TV.
    4. Sammy Lee was a great servant to Liverpool during him playing days, and his time on the coaching staff.
    5. Carragher did not spit at a child. Repeating that he did does not make it true. At best anyone saying he did does not know what the word 'at' means in this context. At worst they are deliberately repeating a lie to suit their point.
    6. Anyone who is saying that they have never done anything, that if filmed and shown to the world, would not be interpreted as disgusting is probably a liar or else in the small minority of people. I include things like using derogatory language about people/ethnic groups in this as well.
    7. The act of repeatedly goading a public figure, while driving with your teenage daughter in the car as well, and filming the person you are goading (while you are in control of a car) is pretty disgusting to me as well. If anyone thinks that this being said absolves Carragher of any blame, then you can do one
    8. I have no idea what Jamie Carragher is like beyond the persona he shares on TV and social media. He could be a horrible person for which spitting is entirely in character, or he could be one of the nicest people around who experienced a bad lapse in judgement due to anger.

Making ten numbered points, makes it a further 17% more powerful, you missed out there. Shoudl have just made up some fluff at the end

• Advertisement

If Kenny took a dump on a childs head he'd still be a club legend in my eyes.

Let's not mix up club legends with nice characters/people we don't like. That's my opinion anyway.

I think we need this game to come quick lads :D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Making ten numbered points, makes it a further 17% more powerful, you missed out there. Shoudl have just made up some fluff at the end

Some graphics too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Speaking of club legends.

On this day in 1977, a man who would become known as King Kenny was signed from Celtic for £440,000.

172 Goals
    6 League Titles
    4 League Cups
    3 European Cups
    1 FA Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Knex. wrote: »

On this day in 1977, a man who would become known as King Kenny was signed from Celtic for £440,000.

172 Goals
    6 League Titles
    4 League Cups
    3 European Cups
    1 FA Cup

Which is £440,000,000 in today's money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So the couple of hundred club games titles, european cups and everything a club legend won at Liverpool is all forgotten and he is now a (bad name) because he needs to earn a living and works at Everton.

I'll take a club legend working at Everton over a club legend who spits at a child thanks.

You're very selective with your social judgements.

Your current hero, Bobby the main man, as you constantly call him is a convicted drink driver but he gets no criticism from you.

Carragher was not a Liverpool player at the time of the spitting incident.

Drink driving kills a lot more people than spitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I will say Jamie Carragher really is a club legend on the pitch no doubt about that an average footballer who played well above his skill set leaving everything on the pitch for the club and himself.

However that doesn't mean he is a nice person and spitting at a child shouldn't be forgotten because he is a club legend.

It'll never be forgotten as long as you're around banging on about it.

You're being a hypocrite though, Carra spits and you're so outraged and disgusted but Firmino drink drives and you're all fun Bobby and main man and pyjama wearing about him. Drink driving is obv miles more dangerous than a bit of phlegm.

I think it's far to say that people can't be fairly judged off a single action. Life isn't that black and white.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're very selective with your social judgements.

Your current hero, Bobby the main man, as you constantly call him is a convicted drink driver but he gets no criticism from you.

Carragher was not a Liverpool player at the time of the spitting incident.

Drink driving kills a lot more people than spitting.

Bobby should have been sacked as should Luis multi incidents for biting a players and other things is that going to happen no.

Gerrard should have gone to jail for GBH.

Are they nice people off pitch maybe maybe not.

Does what they do on the pitch make them legends at a club yes should what they do off the pitch affect the title of club legend that my own personal opinion is yes it should as like it or they are role models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sammy Lee is (bad name) because he needs to earn money and took at job at Everton.

Carra spits at a child and is a club legend.

Sammy Lee is a terrible person for joining them. Look at him in an Everton tracksuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

5starpool wrote: »

Sammy Lee is NOT entitled to work for Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sammy Lee is a terrible person for joining them. Look at him in an Everton tracksuit.

Looks like a right twonk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are you a 10 year old ebbsy? Lee can seek employment with any club he likes - Gerrard is manager of a fake version a disreputable Loyalist stronghold.

Bobby should have been sacked as should Luis multi incidents for biting a players and other things is that going to happen no.

Gerrard should have gone to jail for GBH.

Are they nice people off pitch maybe maybe not.

Does what they do on the pitch make them legends at a club yes should what they do off the pitch affect the title of club legend that my own personal opinion is yes it should as like it or they are role models.

Ok but if you're going to slag off and judge Carragher and Flanagan then you should be consistent and slag off Bobby as well but you don't.

Jail for Gerrard in a nothing incident is completely OTT as well.

Ok but if you're going to slag off and judge Carragher and Flanagan then you should be consistent and slag off Bobby as well but you don't.

Jail for Gerrard in a nothing incident is completely OTT as well.

A nothing incident to you and in your opinion not for the chap who got assaulted by maybe the most popular guy in Liverpool who can do no wrong in the majorities eyes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do yiz not remember when Allerdice was in charge of Everton? Sammy Lee was his #2. It's not his first time working for them.

Anyway a draw tonight would be a good result and start to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A nothing incident to you and in your opinion not for the chap who got assaulted by maybe the most popular guy in Liverpool who can do no wrong in the majorities eyes.

Wby do you hate our club legends so much ?

Bizzare and weird stuff

No, in the opinion of the British courts as he was cleared of all charges. That's good enough for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sammy Lee is NOT entitled to work for Everton.

Of course he is. If Gerrard became United manager at some point (may not be very likely) then that's his own business. I can think of at least 5 players in my supporting time who have played for both clubs.

McMahon
    Beardsley
    Ablett
    Xavier
    Barmby

I'm sure there have been others, even in that timeframe. I can only think of two who have played for both Utd and Liverpool though, Owen and Ince. 3 if you include a young Beardsley, who made 1 brief appearance for them I think. I don't think less of any of the lads who played for Everton, although only Beardsley went to them after us of that lot. I never liked Ince though, and was never as fond of Owen as I should be in the first place.

• Advertisement

Anyway a draw tonight would be a good result and start to the season.
    If I offered you that as a deal, spat on my hand and offered it, would you shake??

No, in the opinion of the British courts as he was cleared of all charges. That's good enough for me.

I guess you agreed with all the British Courts verdicts in the wrongly convicted Irish over the years as well.

D'Agger wrote: »
    If I offered you that as a deal, spat on my hand and offered it, would you shake??

Only if you kiss on a first date.

Only if you kiss on a first date.
    Only after a few beers but I'd drive you home after :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've heard comments about us getting off to an easy start.

Whatever about the first 3 games, our 4 league games in September are really tough.
    We've 3 away games to Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea and we're home to Southampton. We could come out of that with 4pts and not have had to even play badly to get it.

If we can get to October with 15 pts I think we'll be doing really well. To round out the first 10 games, then we immediately face City, so a good October with 2 relegation candidates in Huddersfield and Cardiff after that could put us in a good spot, even if we seem a little off the pace at the start of the month.

Is that after we punch the head off the DJ ;)

• Advertisement

I guess you agreed with all the British Courts verdicts in the wrongly convicted Irish over the years as well.

Yes, wrongful convictions for multiple terrorist bombings that killed scores of people and was highly political at the time is very comparable to a 10 second bar incident.
    How many people did Gerrard kill again?

You really do post some sh1te here at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yes, wrongful convictions for multiple terrorist bombings that killed scores of people and was highly political at time is very comparable to a 10 second bar incident.

Transfer window is over he doesn't know what to post about :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    I've heard comments about us getting off to an easy start.

Whatever about the first 3 games, our 4 league games in September are really tough.
    We've 3 away games to Leicester, Spurs and Chelsea and we're home to Southampton. We could come out of that with 4pts and not have had to even play badly to get it.

If we can get to October with 15 pts I think we'll be doing really well. To round out the first 10 games, then we immediately face City, so a good October with 2 relegation candidates in Huddersfield and Cardiff after that could put us in a good spot, even if we seem a little off the pace at the start of the month.
    Man City's 6 fixtures after Arsenal & before they play us on October 7th is

Huddersfield H
    Wolves A
    Newcastle H
    Fulham H
    Cardiff A
    Brighton H

could easily have a 6 point gap in October.

You'd know you were from Kerry anyway... :pac:

Yes, wrongful convictions for multiple terrorist bombings that killed scores of people and was highly political at time is very comparable to a 10 second bar incident.

The funnier thing is you never see your own self righteousness posting style when you complain about others posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People in general do ridiculous stuff due to road rage or when provoked. Carra should know better but I think its fairly harsh to define him as a bad person due to an obvious heat of the moment thing......much worse has been done by people provoked, road rage and in the heat of the moment lets be honest. Not condoning what he did, it was a ****e thing to do, but wouldn't drag him over hot coals for it either.

The funnier thing is you never see your own self righteousness posting style when you complain about others posting.

Yes, very funny, especially seeing as I hardly ever post here nowadays.

Knex. wrote: »

172 Goals
    6 League Titles
    4 League Cups
    3 European Cups
    1 FA Cup

No charity shields or super cups in that list though, I'm not happy.

of course he probably won one or more of them but its on in the list and it's not numbered

The season kicks off today after our best few months as a club in recent memory, and we're here arguing over nonsense :D

Hopefully the excitement kicks back in once the first game is underway tonight. Really looking forward to our game Sunday, I have to say.

No charity shields or super cups in that list though, I'm not happy.

Back then they needed shields for war, and the word 'super' wasn't invented yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Which is £440,000,000 in today's money.
    It's closer to £2,655,163.

3 hours or so (at last) from the start of the premier league season..terrific transfer window and a massive amount of optimism for the season ahead.

Can we stop with this idiotic posting on player morality. It's the usual trolling suspects...

So I'm sure we have all been reading on predictions or making our own up. Aside from the usual predictions (league winner, top 4, top scorer, POTY) and interesting predictions you have?

Mine: I'm predicting Lovren to shine this year , having a season almost error free, and be seen in the same light as VVD with some even saying he outshone.

There, I've said it.

elbyrneo wrote: »
    3 hours or so (at last) from the start of the premier league season..terrific transfer window and a massive amount of optimism for the season ahead.

Can we stop with this idiotic posting on player morality. It's the usual trolling suspects...

So I'm sure we have all been reading on predictions or making our own up. Aside from the usual predictions (league winner, top 4, top scorer, POTY) and interesting predictions you have?

Mine: I'm predicting Lovren to shine this year , having a season almost error free, and be seen in the same light as VVD with some even saying he outshone.

There, I've said it.

Prepare to be disappointed

It's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If he just shuts up and stops talking about how great he is he should be fine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement