Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Steady!

It would have taken Ox-Cham and Lallana as well

Don't forget Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gomez was starting at CB for them before he got injured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Keita looks like a fuçking monster. Can't wait for the next game already. Our year.

We have an embarrassment of riches now too, the bench was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great start. Tough game up next palace away.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It will probably be tough, but we've won the last 4 in the league there I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Salah has 45 goals in 53 games now. He will likely be closing in on 50 goals around the 60 game mark. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No bad for a wing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I think this best summed up the game.

458165.png

(in alan partridge fashion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's been covered by my son with his Fantasy Football team selection - after the game today he swapped out Balbuena, Fredericks and Arnautovic for Van Aanholt, Sakho and Zaha. Never underestimate the power of a 6 year old's FF selection. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Keita looks like a fuçking monster. Can't wait for the next game already. Our year.

We have an embarrassment of riches now too, the bench was fantastic.

Would like to have seen another quality CB and another quality LB bought in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

x43r0 wrote: »
    DYdppDO.jpg

yer man behind him shined the other lads head with his glove too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would like to have seen another quality CB and another quality LB bought in the summer.

What left back. Serious dearth of good fullbacks around. Moreno and robertson are more than adequate imo. Need a cb and another cf/lw. But thatll be next year and milner will be another year older so another midfielder will be on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I know these divide opinion on here but I love'em :)

https://streamable.com/u2g7p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

MD1990 wrote: »
    Trent I think will be 1st choice especially at home.

Clyne is very solid but he would have not even attempted those crosses probably an extra 2-3 touches slowing down the attack.

Trent get those crosses right soon enough he is usually excellent at them.

Not to mention his snappy passing into midfield (the pass leading to first goal being a good example), his combination play with Salah and Milner and his set pieces including free kick scrambled out of the top corner..

Trent is the future but is good enough to be the present too.

As for Fabinho possibly replacing him.. from what I have seen Fab doesn't have the legs to get up and down the touchline like TAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder what's the hold up with Mane singing a new deal, we need to get him tied down quick ,
    He is just unreal, the amount of work the guy gets through and also gets goals , We should tie him down to a deal for as long as possible, it'll be very difficult to replace him in the current climate for less than 150 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wonder what's the hold up with Mane singing a new deal, we need to get him tied down quick ,
    He is just unreal, the amount of work the guy gets through and also gets goals , We should tie him down to a deal for as long as possible, it'll be very difficult to replace him in the current climate for less than 150 million

His current one is up in 2021 so why the worry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Mane came in for a bit of criticism last year I felt. He looks kind of awkward at times but even when he's not scoring he causes bedlam in the opposition half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very happy with yesterday's win. No reason to complain about anything.

Keita looks great and will only get better.

garra wrote: »
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Trent I think will be 1st choice especially at home.

Clyne is very solid but he would have not even attempted those crosses probably an extra 2-3 touches slowing down the attack.

Trent get those crosses right soon enough he is usually excellent at them.

Not to mention his snappy passing into midfield (the pass leading to first goal being a good example), his combination play with Salah and Milner and his set pieces including free kick scrambled out of the top corner..

Trent is the future but is good enough to be the present too.  

As for Fabinho possibly replacing him.. from what I have seen Fab doesn't have the legs to get up and down the touchline like TAA.
    Trent was easily our worst player yesterday,
    He will become a great player but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't be starting for,  Spurs, City or Chelsea ,
    He should be someone's understudy and not first choice at this point ,

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Mane came in for a bit of criticism last year I felt. He looks kind of awkward at times but even when he's not scoring he causes bedlam in the opposition half.
    The sending off totally put him out of his rhythm last year then he was injured, He is a top top player,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The greatest conundrum now is our Midfield setup.

Fabinho surely is a starter to protect the back 4 and allow them to push up
    Then we have Milner who is playing out of his skin week in, week out
    Keita after yesterday is a must start
    So that leaves one place really between Hendo, Gini, Lallana, Ox when he's back.

It'll be an interesting, but welcome issue.

He will become a great player but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't be starting for,  Spurs, City or Chelsea ,

2 or 3 over-hit crosses might have tarnished his performance but he wasn't "easily our worst player", we will agree to disagree on his status as a starter for us..
    I think Klopp will start him more often than any other player at right back and I trust Klopp in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1028752892696645632?s=19

Hard to believe grown men act.like this at a service station,they sound like geese

Vicxas wrote: »

So that leaves one place really between Hendo, Gini, Lallana, Ox when he's back.

I think all will get minutes to keep them fresh and hungry for starts. I don't see Fab waltzing into the side with the form of the starting trio yesterday and Hendo eager and fit for games as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I think this best summed up the game.

I have absolutely no idea what that's telling me Ted.

Mane is similiar to dirk kuyt in my opiion. Right place,right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get all this Trent bashing.

He's 19 year old, full international and holding down a place in the team.

People seem to judge players here on things that go wrong rather than what went right.

A misplaced pass here and there is not bad.

Your opponents creating chances does not make you a bad defender.

No defence has gone through a season without conceding goals but with every goal nowadays, a defender is blamed on the internet and the attacking play by the opponent is ignored.

Trent has a huge future ahead of him at Liverpool and would easily get a place in the other top 6 clubs.

garra wrote: »

2 or 3 over-hit crosses might have tarnished his performance but he wasn't "easily our worst player", we will agree to disagree on his status as a starter for us..
    I think Klopp will start him more often than any other player at right back and I trust Klopp in that regard.
    If he wasn't who was ?
    I'm not saying he had a stinker but compared to everyone else he was of form ,

You would hope however even Macca & Owen were drawn to the bright lights of Madrid at the peaks of their careers.
    Liverpool are a different proposition now from 15-20 years ago - it was a different era and very different circumstances.

McManaman was mistreated by the club - he was the club's best player and in 1997 they tried to flog him to Barcelona for a big pay day. He didn't want to leave Liverpool but he went because it was what the club wanted. He sat in a hotel in Spain without having any meetings with Barca's representatives. The Spanish press were fed stories about his imminent signing but it was all a ruse to force an agreement with Deportivo for Rivaldo. Later his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and she didn't respond to the treatment. During that time Liverpool received another offer from Barcelona for him but he rejected the move because he didn't want to leave his family. After that the club began to use the media against him. McManaman never responded to the media stories and when his mother died it made the decision to leave Liverpool easier. Real Madrid were European champions and Liverpool had yet to play in the Champions League so it was an easy decision for him to make.

Owen always saw Liverpool a a stepping stone for his career. Rick Parry used to say that Owen was the only player he knew that put his national team before their club. For Owen, 'We' meant England and never Liverpool. If he was injured, his primary focus was to be back in contention for the next international selection, that was shortsighted and to the detriment of his career long term. Houllier never forced the issue of extending the contract. Owen's agent spent two years on sabbatical during which time he was unavailable to negotiate a contract extension with Liverpool but he was talking with clubs in Spain: Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia. When Benitez joined Liverpool he knew that Owen was intending to join Madrid on a Bosman the following year - that must have led to an awkward conversation.

We have seen that Liverpool under FSG's ownership aren't happy to just accept the first big offer that comes along for a player and they don't muck around on the contract negotiation front either so it's difficult for me to imagine a McManaman or Owen situation developing for Alexander-Arnold.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

I don't get all this Trent bashing.

He's 19 year old, full international and holding down a place in the team.

People seem to judge players here on things that go wrong rather than what went right.

A misplaced pass here in there is not bad.

Your opponents creating chances does not make you a bad defender.

No defence has gone through a season without conceding goals but with every goal nowadays a defender is blamed on the internet and the attacking play by the opponent is ignored.

Trent has a huge future ahead of him at Liverpool and would easily get a place in the other top 6 clubs.
    Why is it Trent bashing ?
    No one is bashing him, but its quite clear he is the weakest link in our best starting 11 and would have had the lowest rating on Sunday,
    He is young and has loads of time to learn but why can't we just be honest,
    He has every chance to go on to be our best right back in the Prem era, but he's young and will make mistake and its ok to realise that he has a lot to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lads trent wont be a right back, gerrard and carragher both player RB as youngsters, id imagine he will be a CM and a good one at that, id rather see him playing and making a few mistakes than not.

Mane. Firminho. Salah

Keita. Milner
    Fabinho
    Robbo vvd gomez taa
    Allison
    Dont see any room for hendo,gini,lallana,ox whenh es back. Would prefer hendo or gini to be no.6 for time being until fabinho settles better

I thought Gini was great yesterday , just me or does he look like he's put on some muscle ?
    I'm a fan of Henderson but seeing the yesterday and the fac Fab wasn't in it, I don't think he will be in our best 11,
    its Keita and two , from Fab, Milner, Gini, Hendo,  Ox when he is back,
    I think this will be Lallana's last season here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I thought Gini was great yesterday , just me or does he look like he's put on some muscle ?
    I'm a fan of Henderson but seeing the yesterday and the fac Fab wasn't in it, I don't think he will be in our best 11,

He still Gini-ed it a few times

For a lad who has played as a 10 for Feyenoord, his final ball/decision making can be so indecisive

Think he will get loads of games this year as the 8-6

If he wasn't who was ?

Gomez made a mistake leading to a chance which could have been converted by Arnautovic, Gomez was the only defender to have made such a glaring mistake leading to a goal scoring chance if I remember correctly.

TAA over-hit approx 3 crosses after coming back into the side faster than expected after the World Cup (Hendo only coming on as sub in same situation).

TAA was not "easily" our worst player (if we are seeking to assign such accolades after a fantastic opening win of the season), but may have been joint worst at worst!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great to see Sturridge scoring yesterday, thought he'd played his last game for us last season. The guy looked so happy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

If he wasn't who was ?

Calling out our worst player in a performance like that where everybody put in a good to great shift is kind of pointless tbh.

It's like having to pick out the least good looking in a lineup of Swedish bikini models. Sure she'd be the worst looking relative to the rest but you'd still give her one.

I forget the point I was trying to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1028752892696645632?s=19

Hard to believe grown men act.like this at a service station,they sound like geese

shhhh it is only liverpool fans that are bad don't be showing other clubs fans up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No one is bashing him, but its quite clear he is the weakest link in our best starting 11 and would have had the lowest rating on Sunday,
    He has every chance to go on to be our best right back in the Prem era, but he's young and will make mistake and its ok to realise that he has a lot to learn

You always seem to be complaining about one of our players. Why don't you just enjoy the result and performance instead of the bluster?

I don't think Fabinho will be a regular player in the first half of the season. Robertson wasn't familiar with the system or what was required of him when he joined and Klopp waited until December to give him a regular place in the team. Oxlade-Chamberlain also took 2-3 months to be molded into the midfield role. Fabinho came from a slower paced and less physically demanding league so he might take a season to adapt.

I think there will be a regular rotation of the players in midfield. They will be able to give 100% in every game that they play because they won't necessarily play every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Great win, top of the league, Milner evergreen, Keita looks like he's been there all his life, Danny with a comeback goal,Alisson clean sheet on his home debut, Salah keeps scoring, Robbo keeps robbo-ing, Mane with another opening day goal(s), shaqiri blue @rse flying, but... in saying ALL that... it is also ok to say trents delivery was pretty poor yesterday. He over hit /kicked straight out of play about 5 crosses. Still had west hams record signing in his back pocket though.

TitianGerm wrote: »

You always seem to be complaining about one of our players. Why don't you just enjoy the result and performance instead of the bluster?
    Its not complaining , its just talking about the game in a realistic fashion ,Just because I'm a Liverpool fan I won't pretend players are better than they are,
    Right back will possibly be our weakest position this season, Trent is fantastic for his age and in time will be one of the best right full's in the Prem but at the moment he is our weakest link, and I hope its not exploited in two many games,

Mane is similiar to dirk kuyt in my opiion. Right place,right time.
    I've thought the same since I watched the Champion League Final again - he reminded me of Kuyt in the Athens Final.

naughtb4 wrote: »

He still Gini-ed it a few times

For a lad who has played as a 10 for Feyenoord, his final ball/decision making can be so indecisive

Think he will get loads of games this year as the 8-6
    I always get the feeling watching him that he doesn't realise how good he is or could be, Its like a self confidence thing,
    How good was Milner the lads is getting better with age,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Great win, top of the league, Milner evergreen, Keita looks like he's been there all his life, Danny with a comeback goal,Alisson clean sheet on his home debut, Salah keeps scoring, Robbo keeps robbo-ing, Mane with another opening day goal(s), shaqiri blue @rse flying, but... in saying ALL that... it is also ok to say trents delivery was pretty poor yesterday. He over hit /kicked straight out of play about 5 crosses. Still had west hams record signing in his back pocket though.

Almost my favourite moment of the day was the pure joy on Shaqiris face when he was getting ready to come on

Talisman wrote: »
    I've thought the same since I watched the Champion League Final again - he reminded me of Kuyt in the Athens Final.

How could you do that to yourself. Do you have a fetish for self-flagellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Almost my favourite moment of the day was the pure joy on Shaqiris face when he was getting ready to come on

Ha ha, yeah loved that too. The way he looked up at Klopp after he got the hug. Like a kid in a sweet shop. The guy seems genuinely over the moon to be at the club.

Anyone miss Meltdown Mondays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rob316 wrote: »
    Anyone miss Meltdown Mondays?

Eh, let me think about that....

martyos121 wrote: »
    Eh, let me think about that....

It was transferred to the United thread last summer. No buy back

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.