Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp matchday squad from his first game vs Spurs. Some difference

https://twitter.com/BundesligaLFC/status/1028951210701860867

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rob316 wrote: »
    Great to see Sturridge scoring yesterday, thought he'd played his last game for us last season. The guy looked so happy too.

Ye he was actually smiling coming on. He usually has a big grumpy head on him coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Klopp matchday squad from his first game vs Spurs. Some difference

https://twitter.com/BundesligaLFC/status/1028951210701860867

Milner the only one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is it Trent bashing ?
    No one is bashing him, but its quite clear he is the weakest link in our best starting 11 and would have had the lowest rating on Sunday,
    He is young and has loads of time to learn but why can't we just be honest,
    He has every chance to go on to be our best right back in the Prem era, but he's young and will make mistake and its ok to realise that he has a lot to learn

I don’t see him as the weakest link in our team at all. If I were inclined to pick constant faults then you’d have to look at whoever partners van Dijk as centre back. Gomez has some learning to do, Matip does not look good enough and is injury-prone and Lovren is liable to a horror show at any moment despite some good improved performances since van Dijk joined.

Calling him our worst player in what was a very positive display is a very negative disposition in my opinion.
    The Trent bashing is not solely directed at your comment but there are a few other posters here who constantly seem to find fault with him whereas I think he’s a star in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Anyone watch Robbie Keane on Soccerbox with Gary Neville? Sounded like Rafa never wanted him, played him out of position and told him he didn't deserve a MOTM he got. Said his move to Liverpool was doomed from the start...still a shame it didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have a lot of time for TAA but the number of times he was caught out by slow high balls over his shoulder last year was concerning. I don't have any major issue with himself or Lovern starting like I would have with Moreno who is ALWAYS a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

garra wrote: »
    How could you do that to yourself. Do you have a fetish for self-flagellation?
    It's actually better to watch back such games - it takes away the pain of the emotions experienced on the night of the Final. And you also learn more about the players watching their performance in the cold light of day without the emotion of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is it Trent bashing ?
    No one is bashing him, but its quite clear he is the weakest link in our best starting 11 and would have had the lowest rating on Sunday,
    He is young and has loads of time to learn but why can't we just be honest,
    He has every chance to go on to be our best right back in the Prem era, but he's young and will make mistake and its ok to realise that he has a lot to learn

I don’t see him as the weakest link in our team at all.  If I were inclined to pick constant faults then you’d have to look at whoever partners van Dijk as centre back.  Gomez has some learning to do, Matip does not look good enough and is injury-prone and Lovren is liable to a horror show at any moment despite some good improved performances since van Dijk joined.

Calling him our worst player in what was a very positive display is a very negative disposition in my opinion.
    The Trent bashing is not solely directed at your comment but there are a few other posters here who constantly seem to find fault with him whereas I think he’s a star in the making.
    Sorry we are the best team in the world and wont drop a point, How dare I say one of our players who is a kid is not the finished article at 19 ,
    In my opinion on he was our worst player Sunday and is our weakest link in our best starting 11 ,
    He's a kid learning the trade to think he won't make mistake and have bad games is stupid, its ok to speak about it, It doesn't make you less of a fan, Some just want to pretend he is already Cafu,
    Why is it beyond some fans to look at our team subjectively, and call it how it is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What did Trent do wrong on Saturday apart from overhit a couple of crosses? Not much from what I can remember. Not that West Ham were posing much of a threat.

Don't think there is any doubt now though that Klopp sees him as first choice RB. Clyne will get some games but you need full-backs these days that can contribute in attack and Clyne can't. Just look at Mendy and Walker at City. Mendy got 2 assists for City at the weekend but kinda looked dodgy when having to defend at times as well.

• Advertisement

Sorry we are the best team in the world and wont drop a point, How dare I say one of our players who is a kid is not the finished article at 19 ,
    In my opinion on he was our worst player Sunday and is our weakest link in our best starting 11 ,
    He's a kid learning the trade to think he won't make mistake and have bad games is stupid, its ok to speak about it, It doesn't make you less of a fan, Some just want to pretend he is already Cafu,
    Why is it beyond some fans to look at our team subjectively, and call it how it is,

I never said the team was perfect and of course they will drop points but singling out TAA in a good team performance is unfair in my opinion. Using words like "worst" makes it sounds like he played badly which is not the truth.

Also, as I have said I don't think he's the weakest link, I think the no 2 CB is.

Calling it how it is fine but it should be fair and based on actual events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Thud wrote: »
    Anyone watch Robbie Keane on Soccerbox with Gary Neville? Sounded like Rafa never wanted him, played him out of position and told him he didn't deserve a MOTM he got. Said his move to Liverpool was doomed from the start...still a shame it didn't work out.
    Did Robbie Keane also explain why he was so poor when he went back to Tottenham and his subsequent move to Celtic?

It's easy for him to blame Benitez but when he first started playing for Liverpool, he took up positions that blocked the runs of Torres. It was obvious that he need to adapt his game to play for Liverpool. Should the Gerrard-Torres axis have been altered to accommodate Keane? I don't think anybody except Keane really believes it should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Trent was marking Felipe Anderson he was taken off after 61 mins.

What did Trent do wrong on Saturday apart from overhit a couple of crosses? Not much from what I can remember. Not that West Ham were posing much of a threat.

Don't think there is any doubt now though that Klopp sees him as first choice RB. Clyne will get some games but you need full-backs these days that can contribute in attack and Clyne can't. Just look at Mendy and Walker at City. Mendy got 2 assists for City at the weekend but kinda looked dodgy when having to defend at times as well.
    His passing was terrible, and he was caught out of position a few times in the first half that Gomez covered for him, Seem people missed his lazy back pass to Alison in the first half, no pressure at all on him and 8 yards away nearly out for a corner, I think  sky where showing reply  when it happened ,
    He didn't have a shocker but he was the worst performer on the day, he was very very sloppy and was out of positon a few times but thankfully was never exploited,

Just to be fair Allison also had about 4 very dodgy moments,
    3/4 of his kicks when he had the ball at feet went to West Ham players near our box and there was that one punch he should have caught,
    I think he'll be like Ederson as in he will be a great addition but occasionally cause us issues with his kicks,

MD1990 wrote: »
    Trent was marking Felipe Anderson he was taken off after 61 mins.
    He was first half but he changed to right wing in the second half ,
    I think that was more to do with Robbo having Antonio in his pocket, and they thought he'd get more joy v Trent, Anderson was Westham best player first half,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Players are not robot's. Just because they made some errors doesn't mean they were terrible. East to nitpick mistakes.

Keita gave away the ball twice in the 2nd half under little pressure. Doesn't mean he didn't have a very good debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

His passing was terrible, and he was caught out of position a few times in the first half that Gomez covered for him, Seem people missed his lazy back pass to Alison in the first half, no pressure at all on him and 8 yards away nearly out for a corner, I think  sky where showing reply  when it happened ,
    He didn't have a shocker but he was the worst performer on the day, he was very very sloppy and was out of positon a few times but thankfully was never exploited,
    Have a look at the first goal again and tell me what was the best pass in the move

Naby Keita was awesome yesterday and I seen him give away a couple of easy passes. Show me a player with a 100% pass completion rate,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Thud wrote: »
    Anyone watch Robbie Keane on Soccerbox with Gary Neville? Sounded like Rafa never wanted him, played him out of position AND told him he didn't deserve a MOTM he got. Said his move to Liverpool was doomed from the start...still a shame it didn't work out.

Doesn't sound like Rafa.

I'm trying to think back to that time and can't recall Keane getting played out of position. I can recall him and Torres just not syncing at all which ultimately led to Robbie being benched, but out of position? No. If it came down to who was going to be accommodated over who there was only going to be one winner there anyway.

That being said I don't think Rafa gave him a fair shot and cut his nose off to spite his face by offloading him in January.

Chesty08 wrote: »

Have a look at the first goal again and tell me what was the best pass in the move

Naby Keita was awesome yesterday and I seen him give away a couple of easy passes. Show me a player with a 100% pass completion rate,
    I seen it good pass and its balls like that that make you know the kid will be great ,
    Can we not just be honest and say Trent was off the pace yesterday and very sloppy ,don't see the issue really with being honest about it,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

His passing was terrible, and he was caught out of position a few times in the first half that Gomez covered for him, Seem people missed his lazy back pass to Alison in the first half, no pressure at all on him and 8 yards away nearly out for a corner, I think sky where showing reply when it happened ,
    Hahahahaha what game were you watching. He had a couple of overhit crosses yes. Look at the 1st goal. The whole west ham midfield at sea with one slick pass

• Advertisement

He was actually the sixth highest rated player for Liverpool on Sunday with a 7.75 rating on Whoscored.

Sturridge, Mane and Firmino all had lower pass percentages than him. But TAA had the third highest average pass length, including 6 long balls (second highest).

He won the most tackles during the game, joint second highest interceptions, one less clearance than our CBs.

But yes he was definitely our worst player by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stopped reading after that, you simply haven’t got a clue tbh.

https://twitter.com/mrnickmason/status/1028915622380548096?s=21

That wasn’t his only good pass either, despite what you think. Ability wise, he’s probably one of the best long range passers in the entire squad, it goes unnoticed to some because he doesn’t play in midfield though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I seen it good pass and its balls like that that make you know the kid will be great ,
    Can we not just be honest and say Trent was off the pace yesterday and very sloppy ,don't see the issue really with being honest about it,
    yourdeadwrong

TitianGerm wrote: »

He was actually the sixth highest rated player for Liverpool on Sunday with a 7.75 rating on Whoscored.

Sturridge, Mane and Firmino all had lower pass percentages than him. But TAA had the third highest average pass length, including 6 long balls (second highest).

He won the most tackles during the game, joint second highest interceptions, one less clearance than our CBs.

But yes he was definitely our worst player by far.
    WOW a defender had a higher pass percent than 3 forwards , That's the norm.,
    The forwards always have low pass percentages as the passes they are trying are a lot more difficult,
    Stat's aren't everything , they don't tell you about positioning or players not playing balls they should or anything like that,
    If people don't agree that Trent was rusty and sloppy yesterday fair enough  to me he looked off the pace which again is fine for a 19 yearold,

martyos121 wrote: »

That wasn’t his only good pass either, despite what you think. Ability wise, he’s probably one of the best long range passers in the entire squad, it goes unnoticed to some because he doesn’t play in midfield though.
    His passing yesterday was terrible,  that does not mean he is not a good passer normally,
    How can you even argue 3 balls under no pressure straight over everyone out of play ,his delivery was poor YESTERDAY

No, as it's not true.

This "Off the pace" gets bandied about a lot too. A game will be played for 5 mins and somebody will say "player X is off the pace".

No idea what it's based on.

martyos121 wrote: »

Only Mane and Firmino had a lower pass percentage than him yesterday and there forwards and it was close,
    He was sloppy yesterday

murpho999 wrote: »

No, as it's not true.

This "Off the pace" gets bandied about a lot too. A game will be played for 5 mins and somebody will say "player X is off the pace".  

No idea what it's based on.
    Its a thing you notice quite quickly,  touch,  positioning,  passing , marking, It happens to the best

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Only Mane and Firmino had a lower pass percentage than him yesterday and there forwards and it was close,
    He was sloppy yesterday

He over hit a few crosses in a row in the first half, that's all I can remember him doing 'wrong'.

From what I can see, a facet of our attack is now him whipping the ball in from a little deeper and we have 3 men in the box and Robertson on the edge of the far side of the box.
    He's trying to land a pacey ball between the keeper and defensive line. I hold no fault towards him for not landing it a few times he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

The TAA pass to Keita leading to the first goal was one of the best passes of the game.

TAA looked rusty at times. If you analysed every other player you would find similar if greater levels of rustiness in first game of the season. Gomez losing Arnie with ball over his head (not the first time for this type of error) was the in defensive lapse that stood out.

TAA was the right back in F365's team of the weekend.

Yes, he is inexperienced and could be a weak link over a season. But using yesterday's performance as a reason to further some sort of agenda seems biased, letting the expected outcome define the performance, despite the facts showing otherwise.

In summary, sorry but i think yourdeadwrong. At least on yesterday's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

1 person thinks TAA was poor, most don't. Agree to disagree seems like the prudent course of action here.

Another week until a game. Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Doesn't sound like Rafa.

I'm trying to think back to that time and can't recall Keane getting played out of position. I can recall him and Torres just not syncing at all which ultimately led to Robbie being benched, but out of position? No. If it came down to who was going to be accommodated over who there was only going to be one winner there anyway.

That being said I don't think Rafa gave him a fair shot and cut his nose off to spite his face by offloading him in January.

Think he said he played him left wing(?) in one game, where he'd never played before.

Said he scored 2 goals got MOTM and Benitez criticized his movement. I'm sure it will be on repeat, worth a watch. Neville asked him if he was a club signing (not a manager signing) he said he didn't know but sounded like he thinks he was. Asked him if he has ever spoken to Rafa about it since, kinda fudged the answer and said Rafa isn't the sort of guy you can ask .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember Baros telling a story about coming into a dressing room with the match ball after scoring a hat trick and Rafa taking him aside to explain what he did wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rafa told Modric he was passing the ball wrong and tried to teach him how to pass it right when at Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Same when they won the CL in 2005. Rafa had Gerrard to one side after the match telling him what he did wrong in a certain point in the match!! Rafa was known as being someone who rarely gave personal praise to players. Nothing wrong with that, just who he was/is.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rafa told Modric he was passing the ball wrong and tried to teach him how to pass it right when at Madrid.

Well it obviously worked!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

And the players who got that critique from Rafa still remember it.....so it may have worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1028752892696645632?s=19

Hard to believe grown men act.like this at a service station,they sound like geese

They have a small vocabulary that's for sure.

They seem to know at least 3 words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's good to be top for the week, it gives everyone a good vibe and confidence. We have team goals this season, but individual goals are key too. Salah was full of beans yesterday, determined to prove he's not a one season wonder. We also kept a clean sheet, keeper and back four are going to try keep it that way for as long as possible. It's there now and they will fight to keep it, we need to concede none ever is their attitude.
    All these things help focus players.

That Keita pass for the first goal was epic. Henderson would have passed it to Robertson, great players conduct, they pass to where they want the player to get it, they make it happen.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/scoobsfor/status/1028682826638602240?s=19

Someone enjoyed the performance yesterday :pac:

And Neville article on Sky Sports but more of his thoughts on VVD

"I thought Van Dijk was a good player at Southampton, but I didn't think he was worth £75m, and I didn't think he would have the impact on Liverpool's defence that he's had. He's a monster, and is looking a bit like Jaap Stam. It looks like he just throws people out of the way."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29326/11471302/gary-neville-on-liverpools-threat-to-man-city-virgil-van-dijks-influence-and-klopps-squad-depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't normally notice these things, but when I looked at that video of TAA's pass to Keita, you can see that Keita shows for it, he runs just past the midfielder into space, and from the lines of sight you could imagine that Keita's run caught TAA's eye as he saw him appear from behind the midfielder. Great play from both players... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That was intended to be cross ;)

I liked the way Nabby arced his run to encourage Robbo to get forward and pick up the pass which became the cross which was the assist for Salah's goal. It's all there viewers just need to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

That was intended to be cross ;)

I liked the way Nabby arced his run to encourage Robbo to get forward and pick up the pass which became the cross which was the assist for Salah's goal. It's all there viewers just need to look for it.

For me the key was him playing it with the outside of his foot meaning Robbo could run onto it at speed and not slow down or cut back.

If Hendo had of played that pass he would have sent it back to Van Dijk first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

gafferino wrote: »
    For me the key was him playing it with the outside of his foot meaning Robbo could run onto it at speed and not slow down or cut back.

If Hendo had of played that pass he would have sent it back to Van Dijk first.

Thats just a retarded thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats just a retarded thing to say.

It was very obviously meant to be a joke Nerdlinger.

Since you are pointing things out, using the word 'retarded' in this context is not appropriate and you should consider how you use this word in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gafferino wrote: »
    It was very obviously meant to be a joke Nerdlinger.

Since you are pointing things out, using the word 'retarded' in this context is not appropriate and you should consider how you use this word in future.

latest?cb=20171221010050

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1029020265483837440?s=19

Klavan might be moving on for more game time. Seems a bit mad unless they are confident Matip and Lovern will be back soon and Phillips can step up to the first team.

Edit: and talks we are trying to get Rabiot to sign a precontract in January for a free transfer in the summer.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/adrien-rabiot-remains-liverpool-radar-13076616

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports that we are looking to sign Rabiot on a pre contract in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cannot let him go ,matip is injured alot and lovren injury is there since last season,klaven has to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1029020265483837440?s=19

Klavan might be moving on for more game time. Seems a bit mad unless they are confident Matip and Lovern will be back soon and Phillips can step up to the first team.

Yeah I'd be a bit wary of letting him go considering Matip is made of crisps and Lovren is already ruled out for the first month of the season. I'm sure he realises that he's 5th choice now but some of those in front of him pick up a fair few niggling injuries. Including Gomez.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement