Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just hope we don't beat the champions league scoring record again this year. Don't want people thinking it's easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mada999 wrote: »
    it's a complete non story for me.... but what actually annoys me is that he has no security with him or near him... think the club should have some kind of security for the players...there's some wing nuts out there

That's a dangerous path to tread though... footballers are already so removed from the common man, and having them shadowed 24/7 by bodyguards only increases that. Also I'm sure the players would hate it. Sure, you could reserve it for match days or something, but that defeats the purpose.

Unless there are actual threats or something that requires further action, just let them try to be as normal as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From 3rd seed last season we had the easiest group in the history of the CL and the easiest route ever to the final.

So no worries about being 3rd seed.

Real Madrid's path in 15/16 was the easiest I've seen I think. A much poorer Roma, Wolfsburg, and a much poorer Man City, before their first major test in the final against Atleti.

(or were you being facetious and I just totally missed it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Real Madrid's path in 15/16 was the easiest I've seen I think. A much poorer Roma, Wolfsburg, and a much poorer Man City, before their first major test in the final against Atleti.

Just assume everyone is being facetious. It's safer. That and scarastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looks like Celtic won't be in the mix anyway, might please all the new Rangers fans on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »

This :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

murpho999 wrote: »
    Looks like Celtic won't be in the mix anyway, might please all the new Rangers fans on here.

**** Celtic, up the Gers and club legend Stevie G !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and knowing, and wry.

This thread is essentially one big

Roger+Moore+The+Saint.jpg

murpho999 wrote: »

No harm. Could be a dodgy 4th seed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just as well Liverpool swerved any loan to Celtic, clearly utter rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not good for ‘The Rodgers’. His one objective for the season would be trying to qualify for the Europa League from those six champions league games.

The Celtic manager is falling out with his chairman according to a few of the podcasts yesterday.

Something about not getting the tools he needs.

So yes just as well we didn't loan any players up there.

Mad as a bag of cats Bielsa is calling Harry Wilson an exceptional talent high praise indeed after his Leeds team destroyed Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Celtic not gone yet.

Paok knocked out Spartak Moscow.

Good or great night for Greeks......

Benfica through.

Still another round for them to play though.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    No harm. Could be a dodgy 4th seed.

Would have liked to have seen Rodgers return to Anfield, would be a prestigious tie and interested to see if he rested some of his first team for a league match at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

That's a dangerous path to tread though... footballers are already so removed from the common man, and having them shadowed 24/7 by bodyguards only increases that. Also I'm sure the players would hate it. Sure, you could reserve it for match days or something, but that defeats the purpose.

Unless there are actual threats or something that requires further action, just let them try to be as normal as they can.

ah I dont mean 24/7 but i mean getting to the ground and getting home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Was listening to Dunphys premeir league preview podcast today and bitter Didi was back again in all his glory.

Does not fancy our chances this year due to the club losing the last 3 finals. Klopp really pissed in his chips when he didnt offer him a coaching role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

ricero wrote: »
    Was listening to Dunphys premeir league preview podcast today and bitter Didi was back again in all his glory.

Does not fancy our chances this year due to the club losing the last 3 finals. Klopp really pissed in his chips when he didnt offer him a coaching role.

Crikey not another bitter ex-player, mind you he didn't spit on anyone!!!! :)

Actually prefer the media (and especially ex players) to keep down-playing our chances instead of ramping up expectations this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Over 6 games, I'm not worried about getting out of our group, irrespective of who's in it.

I do hope we get Real though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

For a second there I read that as scartastic and thought it was some reference to the kitten fight about TAA.

The tricks a sleep deprived mind plays on you! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    Over 6 games, I'm not worried about getting out of our group, irrespective of who's in it.

I do hope we get Real though.

Why not want to increase your chances of a better draw though? We could get a tough draw either way, but better chance of an easier one if we are second seeds. If we get a tough draw we would still have a good chance of progressing, but I'd prefer an easier draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Why not want to increase your chances of a better draw though? We could get a tough draw either way, but better chance of an easier one if we are second seeds. If we get a tough draw we would still have a good chance of progressing, but I'd prefer an easier draw.

As it stands before the playoff round

If in pot 3
    Worst case
    Real/Barca/Juve
    Dortmund
    Liverpool
    Valencia/Inter

Best case
    Lokomotiv Moscow
    Benfica
    Liverpool
    AEK Athens/Young Boys

If in pot 2
    Worst case
    Real/Barca/Juve
    Liverpool
    Monaco
    Valencia/inter

Best case
    Lokomtiv Moscow
    Liverpool
    Salzburg
    AEK Athens/Young Boys

I have total confidence in getting through. It may as well be 100% as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the better the group, the weaker the knockout stages become. Groups of death thin out the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

We will progress from any group no doubt but I'd prefer an easy group so players can be rested assuming we have the group done and dusted by the 4th game. Any chance to rest key players is a huge plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Why make it easier on the teams in Pot 2?

Pot 2: Dortmund, Porto, Shakhtar, Benfica, Napoli, Roma

Dortmund, Porto and Roma were eliminated in the Europa League and Champions League under Klopp. None of them will fancy the prospect of facing a competitive Liverpool.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    I have total confidence in getting through. It may as well be 100% as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the better the group, the weaker the knockout stages become. Groups of death thin out the competition.

So if we get knocked out of a group featuring Real, Dortmund and Inter you'd think it was a massive failure? We'd be favourites to go through, but would hardly be a massive shock if we didn't.
    Talisman wrote: »
    Why make it easier on the teams in Pot 2?

Pot 2: Dortmund, Porto, Shakhtar, Benfica, Napoli, Roma

Dortmund, Porto and Roma were eliminated in the Europa League and Champions League under Klopp. None of them will fancy the prospect of facing a competitive Liverpool.

I don't think any club will fancy the prospect (in terms of them winning, rather than for the occasion), but that doesn't mean it isn't in our best interests to be playing lesser stature clubs if possible early on.

Seems only logical to me.

So if we get knocked out of a group featuring Real, Dortmund and Inter you'd think it was a massive failure? We'd be favourites to go through, but would hardly be a massive shock if we didn't.

Yes. We're a level above Inter and Dortmund. I'd expect a minimum of 8 pts against them. It would be really poor not to get out.

Unless there was some mad shenanigans like we get players sent off every game, or whatever, or an injury crisis, I would expect us to top any group that doesn't have Real, Juventus, Barca or Bayern in it, and at least finish second otherwise, while still being confident of being able to deal with them and finish ahead of them.

I think we've a much better chance of winning the CL than the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

ricero wrote: »
    Does not fancy our chances this year due to the club losing the last 3 finals.

In fairness to Didi....there is something about Klopp losing finals. He doesnt have a great record....so the sooner he fixes that record the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

daheff wrote: »
    In fairness to Didi....there is something about Klopp losing finals. He doesnt have a great record....so the sooner he fixes that record the better!

How many of those lost finals has he been the favourite to win though?

daheff wrote: »

How would losing a few cup finals have any bearing on a league campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair he and his teams have been massive underdogs in each final.
    Man City far better at the time, Sevilla going for 3 in a row, Madrid going for 3 in a row.

Klopp needs to win something this season, but I wouldn't shoot him over those 3 finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Even winning the Rumbelows Cup this year would be nice, just to get the monkey off our back about losing finals and not winning anything in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    Man City far better at the time, Sevilla going for 3 in a row, Madrid going for 3 in a row.

Klopp needs to win something this season, but I wouldn't shoot him over those 3 finals.

We were favourites for that game after beating Man Utd,Dortmund & Villarreal on the way to the final.

I doubt we were massive underdogs for the Sevilla match were we? I'd be curious if anyone knew the betting for it.

.....and a goal up at halftime iirc

Augeo wrote: »
    .....and a goal up at halftime iirc

And in complete control, then Moreno.

We've had the Karius Final and the Moreno final, I much preferred when he had the Gerrard final! Let's hope our next final will have a positive name put on it!

MD1990 wrote: »
    We were favourites for that game after beating Man Utd,Dortmund & Villarreal on the way to the final.

I didn't have us as anyway. I thought we could win it, but I also thought the experience and balanced team gave Sevilla the edge.

And how could a defence of Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno and Toure be considered a favourite?

• Advertisement

We've had the Karius Final and the Moreno final, I much preferred when he had the Gerrard final! Let's hope our next final will have a positive name put on it!

We also had the Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I didn't have us as anyway. I thought we could win it, but I also thought the experience and balanced team gave Sevilla the edge.

And how could a defence of Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno and Toure be considered a favourite?

Sevilla were average that season.

Finished 7th in La Liga & didn't win an away game all season. They always have a high turnover of players every season.

I remember the first 10 mins both teams were very nervous & could barely string a pass together.

The mistake for 1-1 killed us we never recovered mentally or physically after that.

There has been great merit in Liverpool's passage to the final which has seen Jurgen Klopp's men defeat Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal and the Reds are the favourites in Basel, despite facing the side which has won this competition for the last two years. Paddy Power offer the Premier League side at 7/5 (2.40) to win in 90 minutes and at 4/6 (1.65) to lift the trophy, while Sevilla can be backed at 21/10 (3.10) to win without extra time and at 6/5 (2.20) to lift the trophy for the fourth time in ten years.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2016/05/18/23644762/liverpool-v-sevilla-betting-entertaining-europa-league-final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've had two Gerrard finals. The FA cup in 06 he was at it again.

The Owen FA Cup final and Gary Macca in the Uefa Cup spring to mind too.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sevilla were average that season.

Finished 7th in La Liga & didn't win an away game all season. They always have a high turnover of players every season.

I remember the first 10 mins both teams were very nervous & could barely string a pass together.

The mistake for 1-1 killed us we never recovered mentally or physically after that.

That was the experience, they had been there before, we hadn't. A team that won it twice in a row, would have to be favourites?

The Europa league was a very high level that season, we had about the toughest route to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, in a lot of those Klopp finals, he has had massive strokes of bad luck.

2018: Karius howlers, coupled with injuries pre game & Salah in-game
    2016: Capitulation against Sevilla from Moreno, coupled with the the awful refereeing decisions at 1-0
    2016: Lost on penalties to a much better Man City team, with added goalkeeping error.

From the top of my head, at Dortmund

2013: Injuries to big players / opposition announcing they are signing your main man. Lost to a last minute final. Massive underdogs.

There was another couple of final losses to Bayern while being underdogs and last minute goals / extra time defeats iirc.

The big difference between Klopp losing finals in Germany and even at Liverpool upto last season's Champions League final was he usually had to sell his best players after those finals.

This season FSG backed their manager and signed his star players to long term contracts and gave him money to go out and buy the players he wanted.

Now his Liverpool won't be underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Well they may still be underdogs but not as much as the 2005 team that started with Traore. Kewell and bless him Baros.

Just looking at the line ups I'd forgotten how strong AC Milan were. Maldini, Stam, Shevenchenko (pre-Chelsea), Crespo. Pirlo, Kaka, Seedorf, Gattuso, Nesta and Cafu.

We'd never have won that game on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I want Madrid bad, I want salah v Ramos bad,I want mane and Bobby kick him in the nuts if he's on the ground. I'm petty about it,idgaf.

Love if we crushed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »
    The Owen FA Cup final...

I Iike to refer to it as the Henchoz fly-goalie final, in conversation with gooners. Interesting rules experiment for a final, but we can all agree it worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Not sure why Liverpool were favourites for that match considering they themselves finished 8th, Klopp didn't sign anyone so was working with Rodgers squad and Sevilla were going for three Europa Leagues in a row. I suppose beating Man Utd and Dortmund raised their profile.

Big changes on the Liverpool squad in the 2 years since then.

22 Mignolet
    2 Clyne
    6 Lovren
    4 K Toure
    18 Moreno
    7 Milner
    23 Can
    20 Lallana
    11 Roberto Firmino
    10 Coutinho
    15 Sturridge

Substitutes