Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Seems to me that statement is a backing of Karius, so no new no.1 this summer methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It hardly lets him off the hook tbh...he should’ve been smart enough to come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It hardly lets him off the hook tbh...he should’ve been smart enough to come off.

How could he if was concussed? Judgement gets affected too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

murpho999 wrote: »
    How could he if was concussed? Judgement gets affected too.

Yep, it’s the doctor/physio who should be determining it. There really needs to be proper checks in football these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Seems to me that statement is a backing of Karius, so no new no.1 this summer methinks.

Don't think that will be the decision of Massachusetts General Hospital

• Advertisement

Did the medical staff even get involved at the time? Can't remember anything big being made of it really.

No way we aren't buying a keeper anyway, concussed or not concussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Did the incident happen before the first goal?

As that would explain the first goal more for me as I found it to be a bigger error and would be explained by his spatial awareness being impacted and so that hew wasn't able to judge Benzema's distance relative to him.

It happened 2 mins before the 1st goal.

He did stay in the ground after being hit but the ref played on making him get up so medical staff did not get a chance to get a look at him after being hit in the head, and if i remember right the next time the ball was out of play was because Real scored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

It happened 2 mins before the 1st goal.

He did stay in the ground after being hit but the ref played on making him get up so medical staff did not get a chance to get a look at him after being hit in the head, and if i remember right the next time the ball was out of play was because Real scored

Hmmm, not sure what to think. Had decided to put the game to rest and not dwell on what happened but this does put a different perspective on it. It also raises the question why wasn't it spotted at some point, why didn't he raise it (ok, understandable if he's concussed/wants to play on) and why wasn't it noticed in the dressing room at half-time?

Anyway, fcuk it, it happened, his head is still gonna be metaphorically wrecked and we still need a new goalie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

So Ramos was directly responsible for putting two of our players out of the game...

You know, I'm a firm believer that it's all in the game and I don't want to wish injury on a player but I hope the next time he goes out for dinner it's really disappointing.

Or alternatively Keita goes straight through him the next time the teams meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure what to think. Had decided to put the game to rest and not dwell on what happened but this does put a different perspective on it. It also raises the question why wasn't it spotted at some point, why didn't he raise it (ok, understandable if he's concussed/wants to play on) and why wasn't it noticed in the dressing room at half-time?

Anyway, fcuk it, it happened, his head is still gonna be metaphorically wrecked and we still need a new goalie...

It happened after half time. About two minutes before Real's first goal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They'll be a new keeper in any event.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It happened after half time. About two minutes before Real's first goal.....

Ah, indeed, gotcha... that answers that bit then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I am sure Karius said to the ref he go the elbow...either after it happened or after the goal.....ref more or less told him to play on.

I am sure Karius said to the ref he go the elbow...either after it happened or after the goal.....ref more or less told him to play on.

Ok... feels like this is opening up a whole can of worms re Ramos and then the treatment of potential head injuries, not to mention all the haters will focus on it as excuse mongering fake news.

He told him about it straight after it happened and appealed to the assistant behind the goal.

Got told to play on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

brevity wrote: »
    So Ramos was directly responsible for putting two of our players out of the game...

You know, I'm a firm believer that it's all in the game and I don't want to wish injury on a player but I hope the next time he goes out for dinner it's really disappointing.

I hope karma bites him in the ass. Although I really hope it's more than a disappointing dinner, unless he gets a severe dose of the Tijuana cha-cha from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

dogbert27 wrote: »
    He told him about it straight after it happened and appealed to the assistant behind the goal.

Got told to play on.

Very poor decisions from the referee and assistants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dont think these reports will help anything but it'd certainly explain two mistakes that weren't characteristic of Karius. Ramos really is a wrecking ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ok... feels like this is opening up a whole can of worms re Ramos and then the treatment of potential head injuries, not to mention all the haters will focus on it as excuse mongering fake news.

Here it is as you can see Karius appealed to the officials behind the goal and then the ref came over and it was play on, so if the ref is not a medical expert he should have stopped the game and had him examined as part of any head injuries

https://twitter.com/68Bor/status/1000484828662427648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.balls.ie%2Ffootball%2Fbreaking-loris-karius-confirmed-suffered-concussion-champions-league-final-390358

• Advertisement

Here it is as you can see Karius appealed to the officials behind the goal and then the ref came over and it was play on, so if the ref is not a medical expert he should have stopped the game and had him examined as part of any head injuries

https://twitter.com/68Bor/status/1000484828662427648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.balls.ie%2Ffootball%2Fbreaking-loris-karius-confirmed-suffered-concussion-champions-league-final-390358

I'm watching some news reports here that are trying to blame VVD for pushing Ramos towards Karius but you can see from the video that the elbow to Karius's head is an unnatural movement to the direction Ramos was moving.

It was a deliberate action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Aside from anything else it’s real naivety not to stay down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This is embarrassing. We lost, let's move on.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    In fairness, he's the goalie, would prefer him to stay on his feet in any situation as playing for fouls doesn't always work and balls going in the net often get given as goals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

We're better off leaving him to it because no one can match Ramos in the cute whoorism stakes.

Mad anyway to think Karius was concussed. Poor bastard wouldn't have even known he was ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtyturd wrote:

I imagine of the shoe was on the other foot Ramos & Real would have been smart enough to get him sent off.
    Too late anyway, it's best to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pretty much this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, I mean, yeah, but this is a whole interesting new topic. Like, it'd be weird not to discuss an official medical report about a player. It's news that only just came out...

Really asks questions of how head injuries are dealt with. Almost exactly 4 years since Pereira was allowed to play on after being knocked unconscious on the field during the Uruguay England match, have things improved? Seems more like the serious issues crop up infrequently enough that it's still not properly dealt with by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Absolutely. What should we do with this latest revelation - build an even bigger bonfire and throw another effigy of Ramos on top?

The bastard took out our two key men (Karius only because of his position) and got away with it. Good on him in some ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not a red card VVD made him elbow Karius according to some Man Utd posters on here:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely. What should we do with this latest revelation - build an even bigger bonfire and throw another effigy of Ramos on top?

The bastard took out our two key men (Karius only because of his position) and got away with it. Good on him in some ways.

We were cheated.

Move on.

Bizarre and not just you but Christ people get embarrassed by this just being discussed? The day the medical report comes out?!! Really?

You'd swear people were looking for a replay.

I'm embarrassed for people getting embarrassed about discussing it.

noodler wrote: »
    We were cheated.

Move on.

Bizarre and not just you but Christ people get embarrassed by this just being discussed? The day the medical report comes out?!! Really?

Sport is filled with distasteful incidents. It happens. I just don't want us to become Everton, with a massive chip on our shoulder which we'll carry with us until we next win a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I agree a replay is the only solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We were cheated.

Move on.

Imagine if we had John Delaney working for the club, he'd be on the phone Florentino Pérez to ask if we could share the trophy?

We were cheated.

Move on.

Yeah, surely it's for discussion. It's not going to change the result. However, if you potentially have a concussed player on your team in the biggest club game possible, and the same player makes two huge errors, it's a talking point.

I'd certainly like to think it won't happen again at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sport is filled with distasteful incidents. It happens. I just don't want us to become Everton, with a massive chip on our shoulder which we'll carry with us until we next win a trophy.

Bizarre pi$$take about Everton, chip on their shoulder? Care to elaborate on what you mean by that.

As an aside are you from Liverpool?

Easy now, we'd never be that biitter!

I think most people have moved on, and are out enjoying the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I think everyone's moved on and nobody is claiming we deserve anything from the game or cares too much about retrospective bans etc. but surely a wee bit of chat about it on a discussion board is warranted. Feck off with talk of embarrassment.

Karius' performance in the final pushed a lot of supporters who were undecided about him into "buy a new keeper" mode. This certainly changes my perspective slightly and it also goes some way to explaining his poor decision making and sloppiness, post-collision. I properly feel for the guy after the malice shown to him by pockets of supporters after the game.

Bizarre pi$$take about Everton, chip on their shoulder? Care to elaborate on what you mean by that.

As an aside are you from Liverpool?

I don't feel like elaborating even slightly, thanks for asking. Interpret what you wish.

An upgrade will still happen, it has to.

Who knows how he'll react with that game weighing on his mind. Not sure Klopp will take that chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's embarrassing how far behind football is when it comes to head injuries, concussions etc. So dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I don't feel like elaborating even slightly, thanks for asking. Interpret what you wish.

Fair enough, it just makes zero sense. If we talk about Karius and concussions we might develop a chip on our shoulder but said chip will disappear if we win a trophy or something like that, pretty hard to interpret.

Fair enough, it just makes zero sense. If we talk about Karius and concussions we might develop a chip on our shoulder but said chip will disappear if we win a trophy or something like that, pretty hard to interpret.

No, more a reference to the fact that there's been more post-mortems about this match - Salah, Karius - than it deserves. We lost, I dealt with it and just want to forget about it, regardless of the circumstances. Continuing the discussion, to me, seems self-defeating but others disagree. So be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No, more a reference to the fact that there's been more post-mortems about this match - Salah, Karius - than it deserves. We lost, I dealt with it and just want to forget about it, regardless of the circumstances. Continuing the discussion, to me, seems self-defeating but others disagree. So be it.

But is this not a totally different discussion altogether?

I mean, as was mentioned, I feel differently about Karius now. I'd purely been thinking about him as having cracked under pressure, something which is simply untenable at a club vying for top honors. But if in actual fact those massive errors were as a result of concussion, then perhaps he deserves another chance.

I'd still want competition brought in, but I had been of the view that there was simply no coming back for him in a Liverpool shirt. That his teammates couldn't ever trust him again. But if there's an actual, tangible medical reason for his collapse, that changes quite a lot. Both in how people see him, and how he sees himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did the incident happen before the first goal?

As that would explain the first goal more for me as I found it to be a bigger error and would be explained by his spatial awareness being impacted and so that hew wasn't able to judge Benzema's distance relative to him.

Concussion aside. Even without Benzema in front of him, it was the wrong ball to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You know, I'm a firm believer that it's all in the game .

Off the ball elbows are most definitely not all in the game.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    But is this not a totally different discussion altogether?

I mean, as was mentioned, I feel differently about Karius now. I'd purely been thinking about him as having cracked under pressure, something which is simply untenable at a club vying for top honors. But if in actual fact those massive errors were as a result of concussion, then perhaps he deserves another chance.

I'd still want competition brought in, but I had been of the view that there was simply no coming back for him in a Liverpool shirt. That his teammates couldn't ever trust him again. But if there's an actual, tangible medical reason for his collapse, that changes quite a lot. Both in how people see him, and how he sees himself.

Well, your post there has made it into a different discussion - it's entirely up to other people if they want to continue to think about what could have been in the final but I've parked it.
    As for Karius's future - take the concussion out of the equation for a moment - were many fans surprised by his errors? No, and I think that's telling. He does not seem competent enough to warrant a place in our team week in, week out.
    He's made some fabulous saves but I don't think that anyone could claim to be confident starting off next season with him as our number 1.
    Keep him as back up, by all means, but we need to sign a top class keeper. I feel the exact same way about Lovren - he was fantastic in the final but I do not want him as first choice CB next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If Karius informed the ref and assistant that he had got an elbow or even a blow to the head, the ref should have stopped the game and allowed him to be checked out.

The failing imo is on the officials side.

Well apart from the pure thuggery by Ramos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Im actually gutted for the lad karius , he got such a rough time and well now its emerging it wasnt his fault at all. That must be proper rough on someone , i know some will say he f**ked up but at the end of the day it was caused by an injury and the poor man got death threats and the likes over it aswell.

He was seemingly speaking coherently to the ref.... seemingly in charge of his arms to show the elbow motion. Didn't seem confused or dizzy.

Is concussion something that creeps up a few mins after the event....he didn't seem anyway dazed....got up fairly promptly. Made some other saves...pas de problem...seemingly of course.

Aren't CT scans required fairly soon after the incident?

Any medical experts around?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement