Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We've had 5 years of watching Simon Mignolet... Mignoleting his way around the box, some time to adjust is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

jbt123 wrote: »
    No errors for Roma last season with the ball at his feet IIRC. The guy epitomises calmness in his all round game. Personally, I like to see him using his feet and it is a real asset to his game and we will only benefit from it during the season. Sit back and enjoy it.

I guess I'm just not used to seeing that level of calmness from our keeper,it is a great feeling to have an assured keeper in the team it must be great for the defenders too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The very dangerous Brighton next lose that and we are out of the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The very dangerous Brighton next lose that and we are out of the title race.

Beat them by four twice last season,but we can lose any game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chris is owed one after losing his last 5 games against Liverpool a combined 24 - 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a great performance but not many sides will win at Palace this season. Great 3 points.

Shaqiri and Fabinho getting the Robertson/Ox treatment. Think it takes Klopp a bit of time to trust certain new players. They will get more minutes eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tinpib

Just caught up there. Enjoyed that.

Palace are decent, thought Zaha was very dangerous. They will get plenty of points at home.

The pace of our attack, the speed of transition from defense to attack is frightening.

For Mane's goal the way Virgil headed it and as soon as his feet touched the ground he was sprinting off down the pitch. I assume that is from training.

Also the move on around 57 minutes, a break from Alisson, then the pace of Robertson. A joy to watch.

Comparing that to United's performance yesterday and their plodding :)

I feel confident that Virgil will clear crosses corners now, I was always expecting a clanger/opposition goal before. I also liked Alisson's passing and composure. Keita played some great stuff.

About the only negative I had was that mistake form Keita where he gave the ball away, not the mistake, but the fact after he did it he just threw his arms in the air instead of rushing back to make up for it.

A solid start to the season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's a great 3 points some of the top 6 will drop points there. With Allison in goal I was a lot more relaxed with us having to face a corner kick . I'm sure our defenders feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just watched it - how nice to say that our defence won us the game today!

Salah was not at his best in front of goal and Firmino was quiet and looks like he may not be up to speed yet. Mane was very good in the first half I thought, and for the goal, but mostly quiet in the second half.

So many times we've had to rely on them to win. Tonight they were not at their best but it didn't matter.

I thought it was a superb away performance against a very dangerous Palace team. This will be a tough place to come.

Allison is a joy to watch and almost set up a goal with his pass to Robertson which set up the Salah chance. Brilliant freekick save and just flawless with his passing. Brings a lot of calm.

MOTM for me though was VVD. Not many beat Benteke in the air but VVD dominated him. He just won so many balls in the air, particularly when things were nervy at the end.

He dictates the defence and it was the defence that was key tonight, so VVD the standout man for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I don't get the not many will get 3pts from palace craic,they didn't look up to much tonight and created nothing,they will easily be beaten by the big boys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Thouht Henderson was superb when he came on for Milner, brought some control to the midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Poor result for the match thread. Everyone out of it a few minutes after the final whiste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Poor result for the match thread. Everyone out of it a few minutes after the final whiste.

Wrong result for the 'bantz'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Blue balls for a few I reckon. I’d say they were still watching and clinging to a little bit of hope until Mane scored. Hopefully it’s a regular thing this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I don't get the not many will get 3pts from palace craic,they didn't look up to much tonight and created nothing,they will easily be beaten by the big boys

They sit so deep they are hard to break down and have a bit of pace on the counter attack

Put a genuine centre forward and they would be dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We are the big boys and we did not beat them easily.
    They created enough and that very easily could've been a draw. If they had scored one it would've been very difficult to break them down again.

One interesting thing I noticed was our approach. We were far less aggressive with our press and less reckless with our counter attack. We paid them a huge amount of respect, I thought. We were very seldom having to defend a counter the last defender.

Some games you want to just turn your nose up at a team as you're strolling past with a half a dozen goals in your pocket, but that wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Should have put money on it

I did an accumulator and was waiting on Liverpool to win with -1 goals on the handicap betting. So much satisfaction with the late goal :)

And this gif sums up how poor Woy felt :)

giphy.gif

Wrong result for the 'bantz'

the tumbleweed gif would not look out of place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

May have been posted already but seen a few pundits etc mentioning his Palace are our bogey side - that's five league wins on the trot at Selhurst now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

mosstin wrote: »
    May have been posted already but seen a few pundits etc mentioning his Palace are our bogey side - that's five league wins on the trot at Selhurst now.

A lot of people don’t really hear what they actually say. They just jump on the bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Delighted Karius is getting a second chance to shine with Besiktas, he's never really gotten a fair rap since joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    Delighted Karius is getting a second chance to shine with Besiktas, he's never really gotten a fair rap since joining.

This is not true. He's had two long runs in the team and not done well. He's just not of the level required.

He does not bring calmness and confidence to the team like Alisson does which VVD spoke about in his interview with Sky last night.

Last year at home they lost 7 PL games iirc from the commentary/chat on Sky. I reckon they raised their game last night for the LFC visit. They weren't bad and put together some decent football at times.

They'll quite likely lose another 6+ PL games at home this season. Utd, City, Chelsea and Spurs will likely not all beat them there though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is not true. He's had two long runs in the team and not done well. He's just not of the level required.

He does not bring calmness and confidence to the team like Alisson does which VVD spoke about in his interview with Sky last night.

Well you would be too if you were lumped into a pretty toxic goalkeeping situation where Mignolet was pants and there was an immediate expectation of you to be a World beater.

I agree tho he wasn't good enough for what we need to do, but i still wish him well over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well you would be too if you were lumped into a pretty toxic goalkeeping situation where Mignolet was pants and there was an immediate expectation of you to be a World beater.

I agree tho he wasn't good enough for what we need to do, but i still wish him well over there.

What toxic situation did he walk in to?

Allisson has come into a more toxic situation with Karius in a worse position than Mignolet was and done fine.

I lost any sympathy for him after his narcissistic video in the US in the summer when he should been just keeping quiet.

I feel bad for Karius and think he was genuinely upset for what happened. I did think he was an improvement on Mingolet and had performed reasonably well up to the CL final. It's just that the mistakes were so god awful and in such an important game, it's difficult to come back.
    The Tranmare friendly didn't help and the ball bobbling between his legs during the warm up. He was going to be a target for friends and foe all season long. I wish him well but it looks like his time is done in Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Don't let the result cloud your judgement. We couldn't break them down in the first half. Townsend hit the crossbar in the 25th minute, Alisson was beaten. That was the closest either team came to scoring in the first half bar the penalty.

Liverpool were happy to play on the counter attack in the second half but Palace coped with the threat for the most part and were dangerous from set pieces (Milivojevic free kick, Benteke from a corner). Palace with a confident Benteke will be a very different prospect to face - he skied a shot around the 66 minute mark when the better play was to slide the ball to Townsend who had slipped between the defenders. Zaha shot straight at Alisson in the 72nd minute. Even after the sending off they still created opportunities - McArthur danced through the 18 yard box before Wijnaldum stopped him, Zaha put the ball across the 6 yard box that only required a touch to score.

If they had scored we would have struggled to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Anyway, enough about players who don't play for us, focus on those who do!

Investing big money in big players is paying off. Two clean sheets, a true leader at the back, a new dynamic #8, and a star striker up there with the best in the world. Last time we had that was Carra, Stevie and Nando...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Leicester not appealing Vardy's red, he will serve the 3 match suspension (which will include the upcoming Liverpool game)

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-vardy-leicester-city-appeal-1919359

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Van Dijk in interviews comes across as someone who loves the pressure that comes with playing with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Andrew Beasley's statistical analysis from last night highlights how good Liverpool actually were.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

A beautiful victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

That's a big big result
    Palace played very well
    In the main they kept Mane and Firmino very quiet and while they intially struggled with Keita they got a handle on him too as game wore on .
    While you could argue another day Salah has a hat trick we were a little fortunate the big decisions went our way.

Role on Brighton

MaceFace wrote: »
    Andrew Beasley's statistical analysis from last night highlights how good Liverpool actually were.

Man statistics are great when things are going well. I particularly like "the clear cut chance clean sheet"

MaceFace wrote: »

That's some great analysis. I thought Trent was patchy in attack, tried too many chipped crosses which rarely worked out, but him and Gomez handled Zaha very well. I think they would have switched him to the right, but VVD and Robertson would have handled him equally well!

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Man statistics are great when things are going well. I particularly like "the clear cut chance clean sheet"

It's an interesting stat. So you are not relying on a striker missing or a stunning save - keep those for another day!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The charges against Norman Bettison in relation to Hillsborough have all been dropped.

https://twitter.com/bbcmerseyside/status/1031841605676879873

Please don't voice any opinions about the case, better safe than sorry...

I lost any sympathy for him after his narcissistic video in the US in the summer when he should been just keeping quiet.

He played a decent role in getting to the CL final and securing Top4 though so I'd wish him well etc etc.

I'd agree that he didn't have any toxic situation to deal with though, if anything he had it handy compared to Migs as for Karius's second stint as #1 he had Virgil and Robertson in the back 4. Two huge pluses IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah I hope he does well in future.

He's still relatively young so if he gets his **** together in turkey he could have a good career in front of him. Hopefully he puts the CL Final behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If Karius had been in goal last night, the match would probably have finished 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dickerty wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Speaking of Robertson, didn't think he was great last night. He ran the ball out of play a couple of times and gave away the ball sloppily. Should/ Could have scored aswell. Did his job defensively though to be fair. The same can be said of TAA - crossing was very off, again, but defensively was sound.

Klopp was right when he said that both could be a lot better going forward.

At least they got the poor game offensively out of the way in a game we still win 2-0. It'll be a big worry if it continues and especially at home as the games where teams sit deep against us are the games they see most action on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Dickerty wrote: »

why are we not allowed give opinions? (out of interest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

gafferino wrote: »
    why are we not allowed give opinions? (out of interest)

Dickerty isn't a mod. He was just trying to emphasize.

It's an awful reach to try to claim Boards would have any impact whatsoever on prejudicing a jury. I can't imagine a local message board could be claimed to have done so successfully by any defence team.

We can't discuss Irish cases on here.
    Technically, we probably could, but Boards don't want to chance being on the hook for publishing something that might be in contempt of court.

If it's in the UK, then the same rules don't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Blue balls for a few I reckon. I’d say they were still watching and clinging to a little bit of hope until Mane scored. Hopefully it’s a regular thing this season.

Some just need to Brighton up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mosstin wrote: »

its 4 but there is Crystanbul for all those media types

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Neville talking about a "delayed fall" in relation this "controversial" penalty.

Does that not just mean that Salah tried to stay on his feet?

be comforted by the narrative.

it was a clear as day foul. there was no delay. there was no dive. Sakho's leg came across Salah's standing leg as Salah was moving to shoot. only if you've not played football would you think that's not a foul.

i've even seen people give Salah stick for the Wan Bissaka sending off. they're claiming he flailed his arms and made it look worse than it was. Again, has anyone been tripped from behind? there was no exaggeration. he fell.

we haven't won the League, or been this competitive, in so so long but people are so fúcking triggered by our potential success. Hodgson's comments were ridiculous. As Palace manager, i can believe that he didn't want to believe the challenge on Salah was a penalty. but to claim that Gini's challenge was a penalty is mental. like, pure mental. you'd have to be blind, biased and thick to think that's a penalty. honestly.

the hate right now is hilarious. make no mistake - along with Utd, we remain one of the the biggest clubs in England. and you know that's true by the reactions you're seeing. Neville having to say we're a genuine threat through pursed lips. Utd fans just plain fúcking angry because their manager is so fúcking miserable, and their club isn't doing what they want it to do, yet we're making things happen. Utd get the same when they're doing well.

that rival fan who doesn't want to talk to you about football? enjoy it.
    that rival fan who tells you that we didn't deserve a win? enjoy it.
    that rival fan who moans that we spent a lot of money? enjoy it.

imagine if we started actually winning fúcking trophies again.

fúcking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

How dare we enjoy having a good team ! How dare we enjoy being in the mix !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

FitzShane wrote: »
    Speaking of Robertson, didn't think he was great last night. He ran the ball out of play a couple of times and gave away the ball sloppily. Should/ Could have scored aswell. Did his job defensively though to be fair. The same can be said of TAA - crossing was very off, again, but defensively was sound.

Klopp was right when he said that both could be a lot better going forward.

At least they got the poor game offensively out of the way in a game we still win 2-0. It'll be a big worry if it continues and especially at home as the games where teams sit deep against us are the games they see most action on the ball.

I have to say I thought Robertson was very good. Not exceptional but another very solid display.

He did what he does every game, giving us great options down the left.

Then he put a chance on a plate for Salah on the 48 minute mark with a perfectly measured pass which usually Salah finishes and you say game over.

Finally, he nipped in with some solid tackles, particularly towards the middle-end of the second half when things were getting a bit nervy.

3 key passes, 4 tackles and over 90% pass completion. That's a very good day in the office for the Scotsman. If he plays with at that level week in week out I'll be delighted, and I wouldn't put it past him.

TAA I agree was wasteful at times with his delivery, and also missed one header at the back post which led to a shot on target from Zaha in a dangerous position. Some good moments but one of the poorer players on the night on what was largely a good display from everyone in the team.

Not saying this as a criticism of TAA as he's still so young and is doing better than we could have ever expected, and is still right now a very good right-back, but it is the one standout area where we don't have a top quality option imo, and where you would look at City and say they are considerably stronger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement