Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enjoyed last night even if it was a little nervy at times it was still a good performance. Peno was a piece of luck when it came as they were proving difficult to break down. Salah is slightly off colour and didnt put away what you would expect him to. VVD was immense, something like 22 out of 24 headers won, I think any debate on his world record transfer fee is now put to bed and rival fans are finally waking up to what a great purchase he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SlickRic wrote: »
    Hodgson's comments were ridiculous. As Palace manager, i can believe that he didn't want to believe the challenge on Salah was a penalty.

When Roy was Liverpool manager SAF accused Torres of diving in a game against them and Roy agreed with him. I'm not 100% this is true but I read it yesterday.
    I think it was a penalty but it could have gone the other way. It's a good time to score as well right before 1/2 time. Liverpool will play an awful lot worse this year and still win games. Good start to the league for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gimli2112 wrote: »
    When Roy was Liverpool manager SAF accused Torres of diving in a game against them and Roy agreed with him. I'm not 100% this is true but I read it yesterday.
    I think it was a penalty but it could have gone the other way. It's a good time to score as well right before 1/2 time. Liverpool will play an awful lot worse this year and still win games. Good start to the league for a change.

It was still one of the worst decisions this club ever made to hire him. Pure small time mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Talisman wrote: »
    Don't let the result cloud your judgement. We couldn't break them down in the first half. Townsend hit the crossbar in the 25th minute, Alisson was beaten. That was the closest either team came to scoring in the first half bar the penalty.

Liverpool were happy to play on the counter attack in the second half but Palace coped with the threat for the most part and were dangerous from set pieces (Milivojevic free kick, Benteke from a corner). Palace with a confident Benteke will be a very different prospect to face - he skied a shot around the 66 minute mark when the better play was to slide the ball to Townsend who had slipped between the defenders. Zaha shot straight at Alisson in the 72nd minute. Even after the sending off they still created opportunities - McArthur danced through the 18 yard box before Wijnaldum stopped him, Zaha put the ball across the 6 yard box that only required a touch to score.

If they had scored we would have struggled to win the game.

Thanks for the step by step analysis I was watching it too,that ball across the box was the only threat from palace the crossbar was a freak effort,they were solid and compact but were never a threat and that's even when Liverpool weren't at the races themselves,I wouldn't be banking on benteke either tbh you could be waiting forever for him to get any confidence back.
    Palace are a midtable side at best,a good win by pool non the less because I didn't think we were good ourselves and its always nice to win when not playing well but the way some are going on about palace and bigging up our win even more just doesn't make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bear in mind...

Palace are a good team, we still had numerous clearcut chances, where Salah could conceivably had at least 3. Firmino was shin attack, Salah was wasteful and our fullbacks (especially Trent) couldn't cross, and we still won 2-0.

that's as professional an away performance as you can hope for.

long may that continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Jurgen Klopp said his message to his players towards the end was: ‘Run, or I will kill you’.

you never really know with Klopp though do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Jurgen Klopp said his message to his players towards the end was: ‘Run, or I will kill you’.

you never really know with Klopp though do you?

I loved that line from him! Because every man, down to VVD (a MONSTER) is afraid of getting on the wrong side of that man. Like people were with Ferguson. If they don't fear you, they won't do everything asked of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the step by step analysis I was watching it too,that ball across the box was the only threat from palace the crossbar was a freak effort,they were solid and compact but were never a threat and that's even when Liverpool weren't at the races themselves,I wouldn't be banking on benteke either tbh you could be waiting forever for him to get any confidence back.
    Palace are a midtable side at best,a good win by pool non the less because I didn't think we were good ourselves and its always nice to win when not playing well but the way some are going on about palace and bigging up our win even more just doesn't make sense
    You obviously took different things from the game if you thought they were never a threat.

Alisson's prevented a certain goal from the Milivojevic free kick. If Mignolet or Karius were playing that shot was in the back of the net. It wasn't a routine save, the goalkeeper was covering the other side of the goal and needed to get across to push the ball around the post.

There was a moment at about 71 mins where Palace nearly got behind Trent, and Gomez was well positioned to chase back and clear for a throw, and VVD have him a big clap for it. It appeared the simplest thing, but he was on his toes, he took the safe option, and he did the job. VVD clearly had him under his wing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Dickerty wrote: »
    I loved that line from him! Because every man, down to VVD (a MONSTER) is afraid of getting on the wrong side of that man. Like people were with Ferguson. If they don't fear you, they won't do everything asked of them...

is-it-better-to-be-loved-or-feared-its-a-23857054.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gomez will learn and grow a lot under Van Dijks leadership. You can tell from the post match celebration that Van Dijk really rates Gomez.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That Alisson save from the free kick was quality, the footwork was key, he shuffled over nicely and it made the save possible, I could see Karius and Mig being flat footed on that one.

Alisson simply hasn't been tested in the 2 games so far. Some saves he really should make, but nothing special.
    The important stuff comes in games against bigger rivals and CL. I want us to come out of a backs-to-the-wall game where we just SURVIVED through great defending top goalkeeping, and still score to win it.

I want it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Such a pity Salah's second touch was so wayward.

FrayedRewardingHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

That Alisson save from the free kick was quality, the footwork was key, he shuffled over nicely and it made the save possible, I could see Karius and Mig being flat footed on that one.

Agreed - last year that's in the back of the net and the game finishes 1-1. Mane got the second yesterday only because Palace were pushing lads forward searching for the equalizer, whereas if it was 1-1 they'd have happily taken their point. In my opinion, Becker has already won us 2 points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Alisson simply hasn't been tested in the 2 games so far. Some saves he really should make, but nothing special.
    The important stuff comes in games against bigger rivals and CL. I want us to come out of a backs-to-the-wall game where we just SURVIVED through great defending top goalkeeping, and still score to win it.

I want it all!

The key point is that our previous keepers weren't even doing this so its nice to have a keeper do the basics well - i.e. upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I want it all!

I think he had twenty out of twenty one successfull passes last night.His distribution is vital.

Such a pity Salah's second touch was so wayward.

FrayedRewardingHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

It's a pity he didn't try a lob with his first touch, would be a goal of the season contender!

I think he had twenty out of twenty one successfull passes last night.His distribution is vital.

21 out of 23 but who's counting!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2 of Alisson passes in the 2nd half to Robertson( took out half the Palace team) & another one releasing Firmino were brillant.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    21 out of 23 but who's counting!! :pac:

Well....you are.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Without getting carried away, Alisson is a game changer for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Looking at how tight and disciplined Palace were yesterday, I'm very happy with 2-0. I was getting quite worried around the 35 min mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

2mins in here check the part where Keita let the ball go behind him and flicks it. Unreal confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

MD1990 wrote: »
    2 of Alisson passes in the 2nd half to Robertson( took out half the Palace team) & another one releasing Firmino were brillant.

That's incredible. The difference him and VVD make to the back-line is clear to see.

• Advertisement

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    That's incredible. The difference him and VVD make to the back-line is clear to see.

Money well spent, Klopp doesn't spend big on flops

ricero wrote: »
    Gomez will learn and grow a lot under Van Dijks leadership. You can tell from the post match celebration that Van Dijk really rates Gomez.

ipanews_de835b59-c8d4-4e0b-9fa6-4ab320d1f292_1

Yep, you can see why Klavan was allowed to leave but what will happen when Lovren returns to full fitness will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Some just need to Brighton up a bit

:pac:

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

dogbert27 wrote: »
    ipanews_de835b59-c8d4-4e0b-9fa6-4ab320d1f292_1

Yep, you can see why Klavan was allowed to leave but what will happen when Lovren returns to full fitness will be interesting.

I was thinking this last night.

When it was Lovren and Matip this time last year, Lovren was tasked with the physichal battle. He would have been the one yesterday challenging Benteke.

He also fancied himself as the organiser, and the man who could be a bit of a ball player.

VVD kind of takes all these roles.

What Gomez offers is pure pace and athleticism. There's a strong argument that this compliments VVD better, and is more suited to how we play with our back line often high up.

Another poster rightly pointed out that the interception Gomez made at full stretch on Zaha was absolutely crucial, and Lovren wouldn't have made it.

Could be a case of different player for different situations. Gomez was essential to stop Zaha last night and did superbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Without getting carried away, Alisson is a game changer for Liverpool

Finally replaced Xabi Alonso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Migs and karius we're also game changers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Odd request, do any fans here have an old Liverpool jersey that they are willing to part with for a fee bob (I'm looking at 20e, but negotiable). Want it for a stag for a Utd fan, but understand if people don't want to part with anything sentimental.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mushy wrote: »
    Odd request, do any fans here have an old Liverpool jersey that they are willing to part with for a fee bob (I'm looking at 20e, but negotiable). Want it for a stag for a Utd fan, but understand if people don't want to part with anything sentimental.

Cheers!

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-liverpool-home-shirt-2016-2017-mens-377932?colcode=37793208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cheers!

Plenty coutinho ones went in the bin

TitianGerm wrote: »

Cheers!

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-liverpool-home-shirt-2016-2017-mens-377932?colcode=37793208

That could work, although it's on this weekend. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gomez has been completely unnoticeable in first two games, as a no nonsense defender should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Benfica v PAOK currently 0-0 in 1st leg.

Benfica win and we are in pot 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Nothing really to fear in pot 2 anyway though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Some just need to Brighton up a bit

This is gold. I gotta steal it man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Cheers!

There's loads on Adverts, you should get one close to where you live. Prices starting at €10. There's a 2005 Cisse oneðŸ˜

The Mulk wrote: »

Cheers!

There's loads on Adverts, you should get one close to where you live. Prices starting at €10. There's a 2005 Cisse oneðŸ˜

Have asked bout that one but just time is right. Didn't realise Cisse was on it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Mulk wrote: »

I'm sure there will be plenty of Carroll, Downing and Adam ones knocking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cheers!

If you have an O'Neills shop near you check them out here they have a bunch of last season tops in their outlet section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be plenty of Carroll, Downing and Adam ones knocking about.

Probably more adams ones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ballyargus wrote: »
    Migs and karius we're also game changers

And don't forget the red button!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Talisman wrote: »
    You obviously took different things from the game if you thought they were never a threat.

Alisson's prevented a certain goal from the Milivojevic free kick. If Mignolet or Karius were playing that shot was in the back of the net. It wasn't a routine save, the goalkeeper was covering the other side of the goal and needed to get across to push the ball around the post.

Karius would probably have done his no dive trick and then people would say nothing he could do about it.

POAK managed a 1-1 draw away to Benfica tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

TitianGerm wrote: »
    POAK managed a 1-1 draw away to Benfica tonight.

Does that mean we're in pot 2?

• Advertisement

Does that mean we're in pot 2?

It's only the first leg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement