Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just a heads up if anyone is heading over to the game on Saturday, there's an airport strike on for the next few days. Might not affect passengers but just to be aware of it.;)

Which airport - Dublin or Liverpool?
    Also, would there be much disruption/ delays to the early flights out on Saturday morning with this pope jaunt? ( Ryanair 7ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Connor Randall is off to Rochdale on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce reporting that Karius is due in Turkey tomorrow to hold talks.

So then Mig staying, Origi wants to stay and Ojo to go somewhere. Markovic anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

noodles wrote: »
    Not sure I'd be up for Sturridge or Shaq coming in just yet for Brighton.

Probably as much chance seeing the Count against them.

79176_xl_5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Turtyturd wrote: »
    noodles wrote: »
    Not sure I'd be up for Sturridge or Shaq coming in just yet for Brighton.

For the love of God and this fcuking thread please change the record.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ERG89 wrote: »
    How did Madrid let Ronaldo go and not have anyone coming in?
    A player who scores about 50 goals a season for a decade and they just sell him without thinking about that :confused:

I'm pretty sure he negotiated that clause the last time he renewed his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fieldog wrote: »

Mane chatting with the Copa lads....

Hapio Mane. Ahahahaha.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    There was a great interview done with him on the 42 a couple of months back:

http://www.the42.ie/adam-morgan-interview-january-2018-3816104-Jan2018/

Worth a read if you have the time.

Very good article, very interesting. I hope he does well. Will definitely watch out for Sligo games now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aspas was an absolute bargain when we bought him, I've no doubt Klopp could of worked with him. Rodgers didn't want him and used him as a pawn in the him vs tc battle.

Anytime I've seen aspas play for celta he's been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rob316 wrote: »
    Aspas was an absolute bargain when we bought him, I've no doubt Klopp could of worked with him. Rodgers didn't want him and used him as a pawn in the him vs tc battle.

Anytime I've seen aspas play for celta he's been brilliant.

Considering the form of our two strikers, and the fact Liverpool were only playing in the PL for the majority of the season, I can't see how this statement is anything more than conjecture.

I'm not sure any other manager would have given Aspas much more game time than he had in that scenario. 1 game a week and the two lads ahead of him scoring in pretty much every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, he was trying to win the league. If Aspas was good enough at the time to improve us, Rodgers would have played him even if Aspas was riding both of his women and mocking his teeth to his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very good article, very interesting. I hope he does well. Will definitely watch out for Sligo games now.

He is gonzo from Sligo. Bit of a disaster really, although perhaps it is the system Rovers play with 1 up top. Mikey Drennan is up top on his own now and feeding off scraps.

Morgan scored a few at the start but they were nearly all bundled in over the line. He was constantly giving his team mates grief on the pitch and doing damn all himself.

Unfortuantely the common thing in all these constant moves around and falling out with coaches and things not working out throughout his career is Adam himself.

It really is a fine line in football between Adam Morgan and Jamie Vardy.

However, you should still keep an eye out for Sligo results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ryan Kent, Ejaria and Flanagan all start for Rangers tonight in the European game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Knex. wrote: »
    Considering the form of our two strikers, and the fact Liverpool were only playing in the PL for the majority of the season, I can't see how this statement is anything more than conjecture.

I'm not sure any other manager would have given Aspas much more game time than he had in that scenario. 1 game a week and the two lads ahead of him scoring in pretty much every game.

Yeah, he really shouldn't have played any more than he did under the circumstances. But I think another manager might have held onto him for the following year.

Also really surprised the club didn't seem to put him on any sort of personalized weights program. Dealing with him properly in that first year could easily have prepared him for the physicality in a second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

And why is that exactly?

He was one of the best players in pre season playing all nine games with a goal scoring rate of a goal every 60 mins. Was brought on with a few mins left against West Ham and scored with his first touch of the ball. All this coupled with the fact that Firmino looked tired and lackadaisical last time makes your hyperbolic comment seem a bit daft imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

https://t.co/uG3xaSYFeb

So we are for sale if the right offer comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

doc_17 wrote: »
    So we are for sale if the right offer comes in

I imagine if that went through people would say we spent £2,160,000,000 this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I imagine if that went through people would say we spent £2,160,000,000 this summer

Ya but the net spend would balance it out!

• Advertisement

He wanted to pay £2b for the club but couldn't find a £25m cash deposit lol

Interesting, if I had that sort of money I'd do something important with it, not buy a trinket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

tinpib wrote: »
    He is gonzo from Sligo. Bit of a disaster really, although perhaps it is the system Rovers play with 1 up top. Mikey Drennan is up top on his own now and feeding off scraps.

Morgan scored a few at the start but they were nearly all bundled in over the line. He was constantly giving his team mates grief on the pitch and doing damn all himself.

Unfortuantely the common thing in all these constant moves around and falling out with coaches and things not working out throughout his career is Adam himself.

It really is a fine line in football between Adam Morgan and Jamie Vardy.

Interesting synopsis! I guess will be interesting to see will he stick it out, or will Sligo decide to move him on. It's nice to think of it in terms of a film script where he comes good, but if he is a bollocks on the pitch as you say, it may not be worth the hassle. It's amazing to see the list of (poor) clubs that he couldn't settle in.

You say Drennan is on his own up front, so is Morgan being played out of position, or is he simply dropped from the first team? 5 goals from 17 games isn't the worst return to be fair.
    tinpib wrote: »
    However, you should still keep an eye out for Sligo results!

Ahaha, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Interesting synopsis! I guess will be interesting to see will he stick it out, or will Sligo decide to move him on. It's nice to think of it in terms of a film script where he comes good, but if he is a bollocks on the pitch as you say, it may not be worth the hassle. It's amazing to see the list of (poor) clubs that he couldn't settle in.

You say Drennan is on his own up front, so is Morgan being played out of position, or is he simply dropped from the first team? 5 goals from 17 games isn't the worst return to be fair.

Ahaha, brilliant.
    He's gonzo, as in Sligo let him go. He's no longer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

He wanted to pay £2b for the club but couldn't find a £25m cash deposit lol

Reminds me of that time I tried to secure a €25,000 loan from AIB. No matter how many times I told them, they just would not believe me that I needed it so some Nigerian prince would be able release his millions to me. I even had the email to prove it!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Also really surprised the club didn't seem to put him on any sort of personalized weights program. Dealing with him properly in that first year could easily have prepared him for the physicality in a second year.

I reckon he's hit the nail on the head himself, his attitude was all wrong as soon as he trained exclusively with the first team. His endeavours since leaving LFC haven't been fruitful.

I don't imagine a personalised weights program would easily have done anything for the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »

I reckon he's hit the nail on the head himself, his attitude was all wrong as soon as he trained exclusively with the first team. His endeavours since leaving LFC haven't been fruitful.

I don't imagine a personalised weights program would easily have done anything for the chap.

I was talking about Aspas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Adam Morgan had, I think, an abdominal injury that kept him out for maybe 6-8 weeks. There seemed to be no sign of him coming back in the near future so it appears the agreement was ended by mutual consent. So he went back to England to "continue his recovery", that was probably 6-8 weeks ago at this stage. So he is no longer a Sligo Rovers player.

So at the end of June/early July Morgan left and left Drennan came in.

Ya, his return wasn't that bad on paper and I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time for the ball to hit off you and into the goal from 2 yards out!

From what you hear on the grapevine he didn't sound great off the field either.

He is only 23. As I said before it's such a fine line between failure and success in football. I imagine so many players who don't make it end up being bitter or depressed, must be soul crushing. A brutal industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

murpho999 wrote: »

2 billion would represent quite the handsome profit on their original 300m purchase and subsequent investment since that point. They've done very well on that side of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

If there was no tax implications and no impact to agent sign on fees, could any club in a swap deal smash the world transfer record.

It should be done for the laugh. A non league team signs someone for 1.7billion pounds. At same time another player goes the opposite way for 1.6999999 billion pounds. Two most expensive transfers of all time. Great advertising.

And shows how relevant net spend is too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    2 billion would represent quite the handsome profit on their original 300m purchase and subsequent investment since that point. They've done very well on that side of the ball.

Exceptionally well. It doesnt make sense for them to sell now from a business point of view unless they need the cash.

The club is on an upward trajectory on and off the pitch, with new stand development coming soon which will bring Anfield up to around that commercial sweet spot of 60k fans. Champions league 2 years in a row which will hopefully be sustained for the next 3-5 years while Klopp is here so revenue only on the up.

By the time they are 'finished' the club will have been thoroughly reinvigorated both structurally and from a corporate sense and Id expect wont be long before there is a 3Bn valuation. Given what they've done so far Id be very happy if they stayed long term but wouldnt blame them if they sell having turned the club around.

I have a feeling they wont sell until we win the league. That would close the loop for them. (I've thoroughly jinxed them now).

#LFC break off negotiations with Borussia Dortmund over Divock Origi. Reds not prepared to loan striker out again, and will only consider permanent deal.

Klopp happy to keep him as squad option until January if no sale.

https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1032918050356518914?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

elbyrneo wrote: »
    If there was no tax implications and no impact to agent sign on fees, could any club in a swap deal smash the world transfer record.

It should be done for the laugh. A non league team signs someone for 1.7billion pounds. At same time another player goes the opposite way for 1.6999999 billion pounds. Two most expensive transfers of all time. Great advertising.

And shows how relevant net spend is too!!

Artificially inflating the book value of two cloggers in a swap deal "... shows how relevant net spend is...".

200w.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Most definitely, the club is well run, no doubt about that.

I wonder if the policy change in the last 18 months regarding transfers is to make the club more attractive to investors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

gafferino wrote: »
    Exceptionally well. It doesnt make sense for them to sell now from a business point of view unless they need the cash.

The club is on an upward trajectory on and off the pitch, with new stand development coming soon which will bring Anfield up to around that commercial sweet spot of 60k fans. Champions league 2 years in a row which will hopefully be sustained for the next 3-5 years while Klopp is here so revenue only on the up.

By the time they are 'finished' the club will have been thoroughly reinvigorated both structurally and from a corporate sense and Id expect wont be long before there is a 3Bn valuation. Given what they've done so far Id be very happy if they stayed long term but wouldnt blame them if they sell having turned the club around.

I have a feeling they wont sell until we win the league. That would close the loop for them. (I've thoroughly jinxed them now).

Wow, FSG out by April!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I would see it more as, they recoup their 300M with a 15% sale, and they still retain 85% control. That's a great bit of business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Your unsolicited references to Sturridge's injury or absence record is disrupting the thread. If you continue to do it, beit as a joke or to derail discussion, you will be carded or get a thread ban regardless of circumstance.

Remember when SOS/The Share Liverpool FC were attempting a fan buy out

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-liverpool-fans/liverpool-fan-groups-revise-takeover-bid-for-club-idUKLO17907920090724

It would have been very hard back then, now utterly impossible. Hell FSG couldn't do it now without a big loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thanks to the press I now don't know if I do or don't want to face RM in the CL.
    Personally I don't hate RM anymore than I did before the CL Final, although I hated them quite a lot beforehand, so there is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone know if something happened between the TAW lads & Jim Boardman. I remember him being on a lot of the early podcasts but he doesn't seem to interact with them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Last seasons 4-3 defeat of Man City from inside the City dressing room. 8 mins long but a good watch, that Firmino goal is one of my favourites
    https://streamable.com/c34fp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Last seasons 4-3 defeat of Man City from inside the City dressing room. 8 mins long but a good watch, that Firmino goal is one of my favourites
    https://streamable.com/c34fp

The All or nothing City documentary is very good, found it free online after a lot of searching, I'm 4 episodes in it gives great insights into Pep & the excellent team spirit he's built there, be helluva achievement bettering them over a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

murpho999 wrote: »
    Most definitely, the club is well run, no doubt about that.

I wonder if the policy change in the last 18 months regarding transfers is to make the club more attractive to investors.

Possibly, but I'd say they realised the moneyball approach will only get you so far. To win leagues and champion leagues you need serious investment in players. They have stuck a good balance. Very happy with the way they are running the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Possibly, but I'd say they realised the moneyball approach will only get you so far. To win leagues and champion leagues you need serious investment in players. They have stuck a good balance. Very happy with the way they are running the club.

I think they just wanted a man they had belief in, they have that in Klopp and he's who they wanted from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

corwill wrote: »
    Artificially inflating the book value of two cloggers in a swap deal "... shows how relevant net spend is...".

200w.webp

Yeah course. Utd fans going on about how our spending is on a par with Utd over last 10 years despite a fortune being spent just to get us back to similar levels when we lost Torres, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho. In this (albeit ridiculously stoooopid) example of buying a player for 1.7bill pounds, that club would be the highest in the transfer table if you don't take outgoings into account and offset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

robwen wrote: »
    The All or nothing City documentary is very good, found it free online after a lot of searching, I'm 4 episodes in it gives great insights into Pep & the excellent team spirit he's built there, be helluva achievement bettering them over a season

Ive only seen the odd clip so far but will watch it all when Ive time. Agree with you on Pep, he has built a great mentality in that team. Even after the 4-3 defeat he is telling them that they are still going to win the Premier League. He has a lot of respect for Klopp too and seems to fear Klopps teams more than anyone in the PL.

It will be a very sad day for the club if FSG sell up.

They are the right people to own and run the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It will be a very sad day for the club if FSG sell up.

They are the right people to own and run the club.

Absolutely.

You probably don't get to be an organisation like FSG or become John Henry without being a hard-nosed ****er but he isn't an oligarch who's a member of an extended crime family that runs a third world country, he doesn't, so far as I know, promote slave laybour, or fund Islamic terror and fundamentalist theology.

As for the Chinese, I'm not really up on what business is like in China, but I'd be surprised if the state don't have their hands in every single one of their pies and as we've heard recently, with allegations of giant internment camps for minorities and their persistent horrifyingly totalitarian governance, and also, if said organisation falls afoul of the government in some way, what happens to their assets, including ou club? It's certainly worth giving them a wide berth.

I'd not only have some American businessman, I'd probably rather have Hicks and Gillette back. They might've been incompetent, but at least they weren't slavers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement